Start by marking “The House on East 88th Street” as Want to Read:
The House on East 88th Street

The House on East 88th Street (Lyle the Crocodile)

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  522 ratings  ·  26 reviews
The first book in the Lyle series, this tells the story of how the Primms found Lyle the crocodile in the bathtub of their new home.
Published August 13th 1975 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published 1962)

To ask other readers questions about The House on East 88th Street, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The House on East 88th Street

The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. SalingerThe Great Gatsby by F. Scott FitzgeraldA Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty  SmithBreakfast at Tiffany's by Truman CapoteExtremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer
Tales of New York City
272nd out of 859 books — 768 voters
Little Bear by Else Holmelund MinarikBilly And Blaze by C.W. AndersonMike Mulligan and His Steam Shovel by Virginia Lee BurtonThe Ghost of Windy Hill by Clyde Robert BullaMrs Coverlet's Magicians by Mary Nash
Weekly Reader Books
20th out of 54 books — 11 voters

More lists with this book...

midnightfaerie
The House on East 88th street is really a story about Lyle the crocodile. Nothing too fancy here, a typical story I could have come up with and so slightly disappointing. A new family moves into a house and finds a croc in their bathtub. He does tricks for him and so they fall in love with him and decide to keep him. Unbeknownst to them, he has a previous owner who is on his way back to retrieve him. Nothing too exciting and the pictures were all in the same color tones, and so banal, it was eve ...more
Kaethe
Another classic I missed in my own childhood. Then I overcompensated and ending up getting two copies for the girls. I know, crazy book behavior. Anyway, I kinda liked it. There's something weirdly appealing about these mid-century early-readers. The art has a strong period feel. And the plot is a little trippy. There were a lot of books about kids having weird non-animal-like animal pals back then. Danny and the Dinosaur, Sammy the Seal, The Cat in the Hat, and no doubt many more.

Anyway, it's f
Alice
3.75 Stars From the Author would brought us the awesomeness of "Ira Sleeps Over" we have this book.

There is something about this book that I love even though I don't love the pictures (they work I just don't love) and the story is fun...but....I have a deep rooted love for Lyle, I don't know why!
I think everyone should have a crocodile in their house that cooks, cleans, makes his bed does tricks etc.

Lyle...what a cool crocodile!
Heidi
I had no idea there was a book before Lyle, Lyle Crocodile! What a cute story and a sweet beginning to a favorite crocodile. Probably the cutest one I've ever seen drawn (aside from the "Want to eat a child" crocodile).

Could work in a storytime if the crowd can sit still for a slightly longer book.
Kimberly
Cute. I had read the Lyle book series, I guess this is where it starts.
Brandi
The classic picture book in which a family discovers in their new home a domesticated and talented crocodile who becomes part of the family. The first in Lyle the Crocodile series.
Thom (T.E.)
I just read the obituary for author Waber--but the delights of his classic live on. This was one of the major books of my just-starting-school years: the tale of the crocodile found in the bathtub (Lyle, for those poor souls who haven't been introduced) fully earns a place right beside "Where the Wild Things Are."
Robert
Feb 18, 2011 Robert rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Robert by: Patty Phllips
A family moves into the house on 88th Street only to discover a crocodile in the bathtub. After their initial alarm, they discover Lyle (the crocodile) can do tricks. He becomes part of the family and eventually famous. His real owner comes for him, but returns Lyle when he doesn't perform well for him.
Lotte
I have enjoyed the Lyle the Crocodile books twice - in my childhood and when I read them aloud to my children. Since I had an older brother named Lyle, and knew no one else by that name, when I was young I believed these books were named after him and that made them especially endearing to me.
Elizabeth S
After a lifetime of enjoying Lyle, Lyle Crocodile books, I stumbled across this unknown (to me) Lyle book in the library. It was so much fun to read the story of how Lyle and the Primms first met. Overall, the book is just as engaging and fun as the others in the series.
Deborah Harris
Dec 28, 2013 Deborah Harris added it
Shelves: ar-3, a28
AR Quiz No. 19569 EN Fiction
Accelerated Reader Quiz Information IL: LG - BL: 3.8 - AR Pts: 0.5
Accelerated Reader Quiz Type Information AR Quiz Types: RP, VP
Callie Stillion
Lyle is found in the Primm`s bathtub and finds a home amongst the house on 88th street. Hector P. Valenti leaves a note telling about Lyle. Mrs.Primm teaches Lyle to break his Turkish Caviler habit and Lyle happily lives with the Primms.
Rebecca Buckleystein
a beautiful story about a crocidile who has a finely tuned palate and a very extraordinary life. I enjoyed it as a child because of the ornate details, and how the illustrations capture New York City.
Edward Creter
What joy to reacquaint myself with Lyle the Crocodile! It's a perfect escape to a world where love and kindness exists--even in a crocodile! For kids of all ages 1-100!
Amanda
I read this book with 1st grade as the first book of a Lyle, Lyle Crocodile unit suggested by Caroline. The kids liked the book and were very into Lyle.
Paul  Hankins
The first in the series in which we meet Lyle the Crocodile. Bring the Turkish Caviar and celebrate a classic in children's literature/picture books.
Lacy
Picture book from The Read-Aloud Handbook. Classic, fun story of a family welcoming Lyle the crocodile into their home.
Bree
Notes:
long story with letter reading as part of it, best for 5+
the only Lyle story we like, the rest are terrible
CLM
We especially like this because my nephews' address IS East 88th Street, although the apartment in on Lexington.
Amy
Absurd story about a crocodile who comes with a new house - and only eats Turkish cavier!
Cshellbell
i loved this book when i was little. It was my favorite book and i still love it.
What a great kid's book - haven't read it to my kiddo yet, but I'm sure he'll love it.
Tina
Bit long for a read aloud for first grade but my kids really enjoyed it :)
Natalie Cottam
love the illustrations on this awesome "lyle" book.
Toby
as good as you remember
Don Gubler
Tolerance for crocodiles.
Noa
Noa marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2014
Eve Koenig
Eve Koenig marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2014
  • Mr. Rabbit and the Lovely Present
  • It Could Always Be Worse: A Yiddish Folk Tale
  • Deep in the Forest
  • The Silver Pony
  • Georgie (Georgie The Ghost, #1)
  • Little Tim and the Brave Sea Captain
Bernard Waber was the youngest in a creative family. At age 8, he ushered in a movie theater after school, so he often saw only the last ten minutes of a movie. He made a game of inventing beginnings and middles. When he returned from a tour of duty in World War II, he entered the Philadelphia College of Art. With a diploma and a new wife, he traveled to New York City, where he began working for t ...more
More about Bernard Waber...
Lyle, Lyle, Crocodile Ira Sleeps Over Lovable Lyle Courage Lyle and the Birthday Party