Start by marking “The House on East 88th Street” as Want to Read:
The House on East 88th Street

The House on East 88th Street (Lyle the Crocodile)

The House on East 88th Street
Published August 13th 1975 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published 1962)

To ask other readers questions about The House on East 88th Street, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The House on East 88th Street

Laura Harrison
Jan 17, 2016 Laura Harrison rated it it was amazing
Stellar. One of the best picture books ever written by one of the best children's authors ever.
midnightfaerie
Sep 16, 2013 midnightfaerie rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
The House on East 88th street is really a story about Lyle the crocodile. Nothing too fancy here, a typical story I could have come up with and so slightly disappointing. A new family moves into a house and finds a croc in their bathtub. He does tricks for him and so they fall in love with him and decide to keep him. Unbeknownst to them, he has a previous owner who is on his way back to retrieve him. Nothing too exciting and the pictures were all in the same color tones, and so banal, it was eve ...more
Elizabeth S
Nov 04, 2010 Elizabeth S rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: f-picture
After a lifetime of enjoying Lyle, Lyle Crocodile books, I stumbled across this unknown (to me) Lyle book in the library. It was so much fun to read the story of how Lyle and the Primms first met. Overall, the book is just as engaging and fun as the others in the series.
Julie
Jan 29, 2015 Julie rated it it was amazing
Ages 5-8.

This is the story of Lyle the Crocodile, who lives in a bathtub in the house on East 88th Street. He is very polite, does tricks, and helps with housework. Every home should have such a helpful crocodile.

This is a sweet classic, published in 1962. As such, it has interesting historical aspects to it that we don't have anymore: milk is delivered in glass bottles, you must talk to the operator before making a telephone call, and the primary method of communication is via letter.

The illu
Kaethe
Another classic I missed in my own childhood. Then I overcompensated and ending up getting two copies for the girls. I know, crazy book behavior. Anyway, I kinda liked it. There's something weirdly appealing about these mid-century early-readers. The art has a strong period feel. And the plot is a little trippy. There were a lot of books about kids having weird non-animal-like animal pals back then. Danny and the Dinosaur, Sammy the Seal, The Cat in the Hat, and no doubt many more.

Anyway, it's f
polly
May 28, 2016 polly rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Why, why, WHY do I love Lyle Crocodile so much? I had "Lyle Lyle Crococdile" as a child (and my childhood book is the one my kids have) and so when I found "The House on East 88th Street" at a yard sale or book sale or something, I pounced on it as much for myself as for my kids. This is the book that tells of how Lyle came to live with the Primms. It's totally dated and 70s and I LOVE IT. There's an element of offbeat humor that cracks me up. I think Bernard Waber had a dry sense of humor. Mayb ...more
Bree
Sep 06, 2016 Bree rated it really liked it
I really loved this book about this crocodile! It was such a sweet book about a family who didn't think they needed anything else until they were handed something special. It made me think about maybe we are suppose to look at the crocodile and think about a child. Maybe at first you don't think you need anything else in your family and than bam all you've never knew you wanted is right there. Love is a powerful thing and this book encompasses that.
Joseph
This book ties with Sunday Morning as my favorite book from my childhood. I remember reading/being read to about Lyle the Crocodile and absolutely falling in love with the story, the family, and Lyle himself. I've laughed at the activities Lyle gets into and cried when he either gets in trouble or bad things happen to him. I also remember there being an animated movie about Lyle and I would watch that endlessly. Definitely a book I want to revisit!
Alice
Nov 21, 2014 Alice rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 3-75-stars
3.75 Stars From the Author would brought us the awesomeness of "Ira Sleeps Over" we have this book.

There is something about this book that I love even though I don't love the pictures (they work I just don't love) and the story is fun...but....I have a deep rooted love for Lyle, I don't know why!
I think everyone should have a crocodile in their house that cooks, cleans, makes his bed does tricks etc.

Lyle...what a cool crocodile!
Tori
Jul 08, 2016 Tori rated it it was amazing
How did I not know about this book until just recently? The things you find on the shelf after a library renovation (and possibly remains to be the only good thing about it). I instantly loved Lyle when I turned the page and there he was looking out from the upstairs bath with HUGE friendly eyes. I loved him even more when I heard of his peculiar and rather fancy diet of exclusively Turkish caviar.
Thom (T.E.)
May 27, 2013 Thom (T.E.) rated it it was amazing
I just read the obituary for author Waber--but the delights of his classic live on. This was one of the major books of my just-starting-school years: the tale of the crocodile found in the bathtub (Lyle, for those poor souls who haven't been introduced) fully earns a place right beside "Where the Wild Things Are."
Heidi-Marie
I had no idea there was a book before Lyle, Lyle Crocodile! What a cute story and a sweet beginning to a favorite crocodile. Probably the cutest one I've ever seen drawn (aside from the "Want to eat a child" crocodile).

Could work in a storytime if the crowd can sit still for a slightly longer book.
Robert
Feb 18, 2011 Robert rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Robert by: Patty Phllips
A family moves into the house on 88th Street only to discover a crocodile in the bathtub. After their initial alarm, they discover Lyle (the crocodile) can do tricks. He becomes part of the family and eventually famous. His real owner comes for him, but returns Lyle when he doesn't perform well for him.
Lotte
Nov 20, 2008 Lotte rated it it was amazing
I have enjoyed the Lyle the Crocodile books twice - in my childhood and when I read them aloud to my children. Since I had an older brother named Lyle, and knew no one else by that name, when I was young I believed these books were named after him and that made them especially endearing to me.
Callie Stillion
Aug 04, 2013 Callie Stillion rated it it was amazing
Lyle is found in the Primm`s bathtub and finds a home amongst the house on 88th street. Hector P. Valenti leaves a note telling about Lyle. Mrs.Primm teaches Lyle to break his Turkish Caviler habit and Lyle happily lives with the Primms. ...more
Rebecca Buckleystein
Jul 18, 2013 Rebecca Buckleystein rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-books
a beautiful story about a crocidile who has a finely tuned palate and a very extraordinary life. I enjoyed it as a child because of the ornate details, and how the illustrations capture New York City.
Jessica
Sep 10, 2015 Jessica rated it it was amazing
This was such a great book. I heard of Bernard Waber through an exhibit at the National Museum of American Jewish History and I'm glad I went. Waber was a great writer and makes the characters come alive. This book also teaches great lessons in civility, love, and what family really is.
Cshellbell
Nov 06, 2008 Cshellbell rated it it was amazing
i loved this book when i was little. It was my favorite book and i still love it.
Paul  Hankins
The first in the series in which we meet Lyle the Crocodile. Bring the Turkish Caviar and celebrate a classic in children's literature/picture books.
Edward Creter
Mar 11, 2011 Edward Creter rated it it was amazing
What joy to reacquaint myself with Lyle the Crocodile! It's a perfect escape to a world where love and kindness exists--even in a crocodile! For kids of all ages 1-100!
Jennifer B.
Jun 27, 2016 Jennifer B. rated it it was amazing
I love Lyle the Crocodile, and his house on East 88th Street.
Kimberly
Mar 18, 2014 Kimberly rated it liked it
Cute. I had read the Lyle book series, I guess this is where it starts.
Amanda
May 01, 2009 Amanda rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
I read this book with 1st grade as the first book of a Lyle, Lyle Crocodile unit suggested by Caroline. The kids liked the book and were very into Lyle.
Krystal
Tina
Nov 13, 2012 Tina rated it it was amazing
Bit long for a read aloud for first grade but my kids really enjoyed it :)
Lola F
Jan 19, 2016 Lola F rated it it was amazing
really good. I loved Lyle.
CLM
Sep 25, 2009 CLM rated it really liked it
Shelves: picturebooks, animals
We especially like this because my nephews' address IS East 88th Street, although the apartment in on Lexington.
Deborah Harris
  • Gus Was A Friendly Ghost
  • Plantzilla
  • Emily
  • You And Me, Little Bear
Bernard Waber was the youngest in a creative family. At age 8, he ushered in a movie theater after school, so he often saw only the last ten minutes of a movie. He made a game of inventing beginnings and middles. When he returned from a tour of duty in World War II, he entered the Philadelphia College of Art. With a diploma and a new wife, he traveled to New York City, where he began working for t ...more
More about Bernard Waber...

Lyle the Crocodile (10 books)
  • Lyle, Lyle, Crocodile