Little Vampire

Little Vampire (Petit Vampire #1-3)

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  282 ratings  ·  37 reviews
Living in a house filled with grown-up ghouls and monsters, Little Vampire is so lonely that he’s even willing to go to school if that’s what it takes to find friends. Unfortunately, school seems to be filled with children who are still alive. . . .

Little Vampire finds friendship with a boy named Michael, and they embark on adventures in the three stories in this collectio...more
Published April 29th 2008 by First Second

To ask other readers questions about Little Vampire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Little Vampire

Mely
Jan 26, 2011 Mely rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: comics
I think what I love most about Sfar's work is how confidently and centrally Jewish it is. It's not always a big deal, and it isn't here; it's just a fact. When the skeletal Captain asks the little boy Michael to swear on the sign of the cross, Michael says, "I'm Jewish." "Swear on the sign of the star, then." "We don't do that," Michael says. "Besides, I'm an atheist."

Little Vampire is tired of being the only kid in a house of ghosts and monsters. He wants to go to school. The monsters take him,...more
Kaethe
The best thing about it is Little Vampire's dog, Phanomoto, who is bright red and Rotten Ralph-like. Little Vampire himself doesn't have a name, and his origin is a little puzzling. The monsters are all cute in a Real Monsters/Ugly Doll sort of way, so it isn't really creepy, but the stories aren't very well thought-out, as if Sfar ran into problems, picked a solution, and let that drag him along to the next problem.

Neither Natasha nor I loved it. For a similar feel, but more cohesive plot, I ca...more
Georgina
i didnt finish this book it was a bit boy. also the cursive was hard to read. i think boys should read this book.
Shel
Jul 24, 2009 Shel added it
Shelves: middle-grade
Sfar, J. (2008). Little Vampire. New York: First Second.

Originally published as child-friendly individual comics, Little Vampire includes three of those comics as chapters in this graphic novel. In the old mansion, Little Vampire surprises all the ghosts and other creatures of the night by declaring that he wants to go to school. Of course there's a problem—classes are held in the daytime and Little Vampire can only venture to school in the night. Not giving up on his desire to learn,...more
Rebecca Ann
Beginning with the positives: the art was cute and a bit reminiscent of the nightmare before christmas, but with more jewel tones. I like the basic idea of a vampire child trying to make friends, it's a bit like Casper.

The not so positives: The intended audience and tone seemed to bounce around, as some things were captain-underpants-style humor but the story also touched on a more serious look at religion and wives being unfaithful. There were internal consistency problems and unexplained aspec...more
Bria
A few weird little heavy-handed bits thrown in there, but cute enough.
Andrés Santiago
Joann Sfar is a genius! This is one of the best children's books ever. Beautifully drawn and wildly imaginative. The stories are exciting and fun, it has that "anything can happen" feel to it with just the right amount of values to go with it. Sfar cannot help but putting a bit of himself in one of the characters: Michael, the little vampire's best friend is clearly a young Joann Sfar. I wish I would have read this as a kid. Can't wait for more...
Fizzgig76
Little Vampire makes friends with a human, helps fight a bully, and saves a group of make-up animal test dogs. This is a weird comic. It is aimed at children, but it is very dark at points. The boy in the story at one point says he's an athiest, and he also tells his grandfather that he wants to shoot up everyone in his school...very un-PC, and I like it.
Erin Reilly-Sanders
I liked this one better than Sardine in Outer Space, feeling that the art worked a little better and that the pacing of the storyline was more appropriate. Still not one of my favourite funny graphic novels though- it just didn't grab me the way I would have expected it to- but at found it engaging enough to make it to the end.
Molly
This is a cute graphic novel series that starts with a little vampire who just wants to go to school. It has monsters, vampires, ghosts and more. There is a character obsessed with poop and a rude dog that I think would make a great Family Guy character. I can't wait to book talk this to a boy. Grades 4+ but not for a sensative kid.
Lars Guthrie
And yet another great offering from First Second by the very unique and quirky Joann Sfar, whose "The Rabbi's Cat" is a great adult graphic novel. All about a charming vampire boy, his human buddy Michael, and the outlandish denizens of a haunted house who watch over the children along with Michael's tolerant grandparents.
Robin
This is one of the titles I included on my RIEMA presentation last month. I think it's a lot of fun and the illustrations are wonderful as are the characters. Little Vampire just wants to have the life of someone who is alive so he makes friends with a boy and begins to do normal activities but during the night.
Jason
I love Joan Sfar's drawing and storytelling sensibility. This short graphic novel is aimed for children, it tells three stories of a little vampire living in a house of ghosts and other ghouls who befriends a local orphaned Jewish boy. Each story unfolds as an adventure but ends with a distinct moral.
Anurak Chanposri
มีแปลเป็นภาษาไทย แต่หายากนิดนึง ภาพสวยจินตนาการดี เป็นหนังสือเด็กที่สวยให้ภาพและจินตนาการที่แปลก แตกต่างแก่เด็กๆได้ดี ผมชอบให้ลูกๆดูหนังสือที่มีภากสวยๆ แปลกๆ ไม่เหมือนใคร แนะนำเล่มนี้เลยครับ ลูกสาวสองคนชอบมาก ยิ่งมีเป็นหนังการ์ตูนด้วย ยิ่งสนุก และได้อรรถรสไม่ต่างจากหนังสือเลย
Elaine
This is a very strange little graphic with three stories included. A bit like "The Addams Family," but with more gore and mess. Definitely for older kids, though some bits seem to skew young.
Michelle Cristiani
Little Vampire is funny, quirky, clever, and entertaining. I enjoyed hanging out with him and his friends. There is so much to look at in every frame, and the scariest of monsters manage to be friendly and welcoming. Cute!
Briana
Mar 23, 2011 Briana rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone.
Recommended to Briana by: Goodreads.
Cute little graphic novel that tackles some tough issues (losing a parent at a young age, bullies, animal testing, and adoption) with humor...and vampires! A great read for young adults for sure.
Betsy
One Sentence Review: I am a Sfar fan to the marrow of my bones but I have found that unless he is writing for adults his books err a little too far into Itchy and Scratchy territory for my liking.
Mary Lee
Very funny. Probably too sophisticated for most elementary school-aged readers...I'll re-read before I decide whether it will live in my classroom or at home.
Blackbird Pie
A weird little comic. Dark, funny, creepy. I enjoyed it but some parts were too dark for my 8 year old. It might be better for older children.
Erin
read the first story and thought it was ok - didn't really like the second story, so i gave up...i'm ok with that these days...
Sonic
Fun and funny, cute little stories that meander and change in curious and imaginative ways.
Esther
soo cute! i love joann sfar, and my love for him transcends any hate i have for vampires.
The Flooze
Dark yet whimsical stories. Wonderful illustrations. Likeable characters.
Caroline
Super adorable, funny, charming, and simply a fun read for all ages.
Ingvard the Terrible
Love Joann Sfar, and this is such a great idea. Perfect for boys.
Sara Cat
I adore Joann Sfar, and this one is great for kids.
Andrew
I liked this more than originally planned.
Theo Albert

Boys liked it
  • Salt Water Taffy, vol. 1: The Legend of Old Salty
  • Sound Off! (Adventures of Daniel Boom AKA Loud Boy #1)
  • Stinky
  • That One Spooky Night
  • Binky to the Rescue
  • Jellaby: Monster in the City (Jellaby, #2)
  • Amelia Rules! Volume 3: Superheroes (Amelia Rules! #3)
  • The Courageous Princess
  • Sticky Burr: Adventures in Burrwood Forest (Sticky Burr #1)
  • Sardine in Outer Space
  • Magic Pickle
  • Owly, Vol. 3: Flying Lessons
  • Hilda and the Midnight Giant
  • Spiral-Bound: Top Secret Summer
  • The Dragon Players (Knights Of The Lunch Table, #2)
  • The Stuff of Life: A Graphic Guide to Genetics and DNA
  • Tiny Titans, Vol. 2: Adventures in Awesomeness
  • A.L.I.E.E.E.N.: Archives of Lost Issues and Earthly Editions of Extraterrestrial Novelties
Joann Sfar (born August 28, 1971 in Nice) is a French comics artist, comic book creator, and film director.

Sfar is considered one of the most important artists of the new wave of Franco-Belgian comics. Many of his comics were published by L'Association which was founded in 1990 by Jean-Christophe Menu and six other artists. He also worked together with many of the new movement's main artists, e.g....more
More about Joann Sfar...
The Rabbi's Cat Le Petit Prince The Professor's Daughter Vampire Loves (Grand Vampire, #1-4) The Rabbi's Cat 2