Start by marking “Complete Guide to Embroidery Stitches” as Want to Read:
Complete Guide to Embroidery Stitches

Complete Guide to Embroidery Stitches

s/t: Photographs, Diagrams and Instructions for Over 260 Stitches
Embroidery is imaginative and individual, and adds grace, elegance, and style to clothes, bedcovers, furnishings, and wall hangings. Now you can use your imagination and make any piece uniquely yours with the 263 stitches presented in this book. A photograph of each stitch, along with a description of its mai
Published April 20th 2006 by Readers Digest

To ask other readers questions about Complete Guide to Embroidery Stitches, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Complete Guide to Embroidery Stitches

Lisa
Jan 07, 2010 Lisa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arts-and-crafts
Found this barely read book as I browsed the shelves at the library. I'm now wishing that I had found it on the for sale shelves because I want a copy for myself! The illustrations and step-by-step directions on the hundreds of embrodery stitches are clear and well written. The stitches are listed by categories and there are sections discussing the differences in the types of threads and yarns used in embroidery. There is also a section explaining all the different sized needles available and wh ...more
Angela
Sep 16, 2009 Angela rated it it was amazing
WOnderful detailed step by step visuals/drawings and high- contrast colored-thread photos of the actual work so you can see what it will look like on your project. Some stitches may have different names than the ones I grew up knowing, but they are quite easily found because the book is organized by degree of difficulty rather than alphabetically by stitch name. There is a good index as well, and there are color-coded families of stitches in the book. At 255 pgs, it is an exhaustive finely done ...more
Alexandrea
Jun 25, 2012 Alexandrea rated it it was amazing
I was so excited to see this book on my library shelf and see how amazing it was - it has a lot of stitches I haven't seen online or in other books, and it's got very clear photographs (even if I wish for another direction or two in a couple places). I was NOT so thrilled to see that pretty much to get a copy was going to cost me over $80. I'll be checking it out again, and keeping an eye out for it at used bookstores, and if I don't find something that compares with this, I might end up splurgi ...more
Cami
Mar 20, 2009 Cami rated it it was amazing
Ok, it's very weird for me to say that any crafting book is amazing, but honestly, as far as emroidery goes, this has it all, including smocking, which I hitherto understood to be something only to be done on a machine.
The variety of stitching styles offered is astounding. The instructions/diagrams are flawless and the grouping of stitches makes this book very functional and helpful.
This is on my Christmas wish list.
Jo
Oct 20, 2011 Jo rated it it was amazing
This hard to find book is the ultimate bible for embroidery. It's even better instructionally than Mary Thomas's Dictionary of Embroidery Stitches because of it's clarity. The step by step A,B,C,D, stitch instructions ensure quick mastery.

I'm using the library copy and hope to eventually find a copy for my permanent collection.
Charlotte
May 10, 2010 Charlotte rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crafting
I have already begun creating beautiful things with the help of this book (not to mention saving $$$ by making things myself!). This is a must have resource. There are so many embroidery stitches that it is impossible for the causal sewer to memorize them all. I find this book to be a perfect refresher!
lk
May 04, 2014 lk added it
Shelves: sewing
good ref book if you already know how to embroider and just want a cheatsheet like book that tells you various stitches in a well organized manner ... but, I think Handsewn by Margaret Rowan is a better overall book.
Kerfe
Mar 04, 2012 Kerfe rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction, textiles
This is probably my favorite of all the stitch guides I've sampled to date--beautiful clear descriptions and illustrations for making each stitch. Unfortunately, it's out of print, although used copies are available online at a premium.
Christina Cox
Feb 02, 2012 Christina Cox rated it it was amazing
I got this from the library to learn new stitches for my projects! One of the best books I've picked up to teach you a variety of embroidery stitches and their uses! I know want a copy for my own library!!!
Vesper Stamper
Jan 03, 2009 Vesper Stamper rated it it was amazing
A simply great and thorough library of embroidery stitches. Hard to get but worth it!
Ashley
Apr 06, 2008 Ashley rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: any beginning embroiderer
This book is so easy to understand with step by step instructions and diagrams of every little movement. I had no idea how to do ANYTHING and with this book I was able to learn all by myself!
Mightyv
Jun 05, 2009 Mightyv rated it it was amazing
Shelves: skills
The best book about stitches. Very difficult to find... keep renewing from my local library!!
Sara Serna
Mar 20, 2013 Sara Serna rated it it was amazing
Amazing resource with a very wide array of stitches and great photographs and instructions. I only wish it wouldn't cost me $100+ to get myself a copy. :(
Eldra
Jun 10, 2012 Eldra rated it it was amazing
If you want to learn to embroider, this is the book for you.
Sara
Dec 29, 2011 Sara rated it it was amazing
This was an amazing book. I really need a copy for myself!
Claire
Claire rated it it was amazing
Dec 30, 2009
Lori Fury
Lori Fury rated it really liked it
Jan 21, 2010
Janet
Janet rated it really liked it
Jun 21, 2017
Haval Ali
Haval Ali rated it did not like it
Feb 11, 2015
Rhonda
Rhonda rated it really liked it
Apr 12, 2015
Judy Soper
Judy Soper rated it it was amazing
Oct 28, 2016
Sarah rated it liked it
Apr 08, 2017
Samantha
Samantha rated it liked it
May 13, 2008
Vera
Vera rated it really liked it
Aug 15, 2007
Ashley
Ashley rated it it was amazing
Apr 27, 2011
Kat
Kat rated it liked it
Mar 29, 2009
Krista
Mar 19, 2016 Krista rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crafting
I borrowed this from the library and now I need it on my shelf forever!
Kate
Kate rated it really liked it
Jan 22, 2008
Becky
Becky rated it it was amazing
Apr 23, 2008
Alison Murray
Alison Murray rated it it was amazing
Apr 19, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »
  • The Embroidery Stitch Bible
  • Hoopla: The Art of Unexpected Embroidery
  • The Art of Manipulating Fabric
  • Stitch-opedia: The Only Embroidery Reference You'll Ever Need
  • Wee Wonderfuls: 24 Dolls to Sew and Love
  • Around the Corner Crochet Borders: 150 Colorful, Creative Edging Designs with Charts and Instructions for Turning the Corner Perfectly Every Time
  • The Practical Guide to Patchwork: New Basics for the Modern Quiltmaker: 12 Quilt Projects
  • Tailoring: The Classic Guide to Sewing the Perfect Jacket
  • An Atlas of Anatomy for Artists
  • Quilter's Complete Guide
  • Unpuzzling Your Past
  • The Cross Examination of Jesus Christ
  • Block Party: The Modern Quilting Bee: The Journey of 12 Women, 1 Blog & 12 Improvisational Projects
  • Fresh Quilting: Fearless Color, Design, & Inspiration
  • Unfurling, A Mixed-Media Workshop with Misty Mawn: Inspiration and Techniques for Self-Expression through Art
  • The Feisty Stitcher: Sewing Projects with Attitude
  • Easy Crochet Critters: 10 Amigurumi Designs
  • Mr. Funky's Super Crochet Wonderful
The Reader's Digest Association, Inc. is a global media and direct marketing company based in Chappaqua, New York, best known for its flagship publication founded in 1922, Reader's Digest. The company's headquarters are in New York City, where it moved from Pleasantville, New York.

The company was founded by DeWitt and Lila Wallace in 1922 with the first publication of Reader's Digest magazine, but
More about Reader's Digest Association...