Start by marking “The End of a Family Story” as Want to Read:
The End of a Family Story

The End of a Family Story

The narrator of The End of a Family Story is a young boy who lives alone with his grandparents. His rebellious, talkative grandfather escapes the present by fleeing to his memories of the past, weaving for his grandson a fantastic tapestry of stories both of family sagas and of biblical, Talmudic, and historical characters. Simultaneously, the storyteller and the boy reali ...more
Published June 1st 2000 by Penguin Books (first published 1977)

To ask other readers questions about The End of a Family Story, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The End of a Family Story

Andrea rated it really liked it
Feb 01, 2008
Lamerestbelle rated it liked it
Sep 05, 2008
Eszter rated it really liked it
Jul 23, 2010
Lilla rated it liked it
Dec 29, 2010
Teemu rated it liked it
Oct 10, 2011
Josh rated it really liked it
Jan 10, 2012
chirantha rated it it was ok
Sep 01, 2012
Adrian Buck
Jan 01, 2016 Adrian Buck rated it it was ok
Shelves: hungarian, fiction
For fiction there are two roads to translation: the low road from bestseller-dom, and the high road from literary-ness. Knowing nothing of Nádas's sales in Hungarian, my hunch is that this book took the high road.

In my time in Hungary I've seen books on both roads. Hungarians waste much time translating and even reading rubbish like Bridget Jones presumably on the basis that sales in English = sales in Hungarian, even when they have own exemplars of the genre like Állítsátok meg Terézanyut. I ha
Jan 14, 2016 Ana rated it it was ok
One of the oddest books I have ever read.
I am quite sure this is a good, deeply honest book. However, it was an ordeal reading through it. Some years ago it just might have made an impression on me. Now I am older and impatient with tricks that get in the way of the book inside the book.
A dazzling construction and deconstruction of time and narrative.
Well worth the attempts to distill meaning from the sporadic, snapshot-like episodes related by the unreliable narrator and to navigate through the linear and cyclic temporal frames.
A descent into a half-mad, fairy-tale world interspersed with biblical allegories and political undertones.
During the class discussion I half-joked about applying an agnostic reading to the whole, because ultimately the discussion boiled down to an exch
Ivan Damjanović
Jan 15, 2016 Ivan Damjanović rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Discontinuous plot, intertextual layers, ironizing of the "big novel" form, different narrators/ perspectives and other postmodern methods in this one aren't adding much in the "readers delight" department. Infantile narrator almost gave me boredom cancer and Peter Simon's family history narrated by his grand(father) wasn't much more of a page-turner either (to say the least).
Jari-pekka rated it liked it
May 12, 2014
Edina rated it really liked it
Apr 01, 2015
Apr 19, 2015 Samet rated it liked it
Çocuk anlatıcılar en sevdiğim, en güvendiğim anlatıcılardır. Peter Simon'u unutmayacağım.
Martin Dolezal
Feb 09, 2016 Martin Dolezal rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Chápu, že napsat celou knihu v jednom odstavci je netradiční a umělecky uchvancancující, ale čte se to dost blbě. Má to ale svůj smysl, kniha je myšlenkami malého chlapce, skutečnost, sny, záblesky vzpomínek, vše se to míchá páte přes deváté tu po jedné tu po několika větách. Nevím, jestli to je nějaký maďarský lidový zvyk, z jejich literatury jsem ještě četl Satanské tango od Krásnohorkaie a taky to byl jeden odstavec (ono jich je teda v obou knížkách asi pět, ale to už mě moc nevytrhne).
Vladimir rated it really liked it
Sep 27, 2015
Gabriella Gál
Gabriella Gál rated it it was amazing
Nov 11, 2015
Koltukname rated it really liked it
Nov 27, 2015
şenay izne ayrıldı
başka bir kullanıcının yorumladığı benim için de geçerli, bu kitabı biraz daha gençken okusaydım sanırım daha çok sevebilirdim. ama bu yaşımda (32) okuduğumda takip, özdeşleşme, gizemi çözmeye istek sebebiyle pek kendimi veremedim. kitabın 1977 yılında yazılmış olmasına şaşırdım, çünkü post-modern denilen bütün teknikler kullanılmış : zaman atlaması, anlatıcı değişmesi, gerçeklikten kopuş, okumayı güçleştiren noktalama işaretleri vs vs. kitaptan zevk alabilmek için parça parça okunmaması gerek s ...more
Cenk Karagören
Cenk Karagören rated it really liked it
Jan 23, 2016
Diána rated it really liked it
Jan 06, 2016
Benito Abdaloff
Benito Abdaloff rated it liked it
Jan 16, 2016
Aron Kerpel-Fronius
Apr 07, 2016 Aron Kerpel-Fronius rated it it was amazing
I decided to write a short review in English, although this is a Hungarian novel and there are two reasons for me doing so. First, Nádas is one of the few Hungarian authors whose books are actually translated to English so there is a chance that some of you will read this novel, and second, I haven't seen any critiques on here in English which would do justice to this marvellous little work.

As the title gives it away, the book is a family story, mainly narrated by a little boy who is living wit
Brandon Prince
May 05, 2016 Brandon Prince rated it it was amazing
Nadas' first novel easily ranks among the finest modernist treatments of childhood. The fragmented and elliptical narrative is reminiscent of the first chapter of "The Sound and the Fury", and often equal to that book in power.

The narrator's recalcitrant grandfather, who spends much of the novel weaving elaborate family myths and railing against prevailing communist politics (1950s Hungary), also recalls the eccentric patriarchs in the novels of Bohumil Hrabal and Witold Gombrowicz.
Thomas Charitakis
Thomas Charitakis rated it it was ok
Jun 02, 2016
Sándor Erdei
Sándor Erdei rated it liked it
Jul 11, 2016
Cedric rated it liked it
Sep 28, 2016
Susanna Rautio
Susanna Rautio rated it really liked it
Sep 25, 2016
Tästä kirjasta jäi kovin ristiriitaiset mietteet. En pitänyt kappalejaottomasta, sekavasta tyylistä joka sekoitti totta ja kuvitelmaa. Ainoastaan hetkittäin pääsin kiinni pienen pojan ajatusmaailmaan, jota tällä oli varmasti haettu. Erityisen symbolisten kohtausten kohdalla mietin lähinnä olenko tyhmä kun en oikein ymmärrä mitä on haettu, vai enkö ymmärrä, koska en tiedä riittävästi Unkarin lähihistoriasta. Tämä verotti lukunautintoa kovasti.

Toisaalta itse kirjan aihepiiri, lapsen kokemus diktat
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Frida's Bed
  • Animalinside
  • My Merry Mornings
  • The Making of Memory: From Molecules to Mind
Hungarian novelist, essayist, and dramatist, a major central European literary figure. Nádas made his international breakthrough with the monumental novel A Book of Memories (1986), a psychological novel following the tradition of Proust, Thomas Mann, and magic realism.

Péter Nádas was born in Budapest, as the son of a high-ranking party functionary. Nádas's grandfather, Moritz Grünfeld, changed h
More about Péter Nádas...