Start by marking “The End of a Family Story” as Want to Read:
The End of a Family Story

The End of a Family Story

3.45 of 5 stars 3.45  ·  rating details  ·  112 ratings  ·  6 reviews
The narrator of The End of a Family Story is a young boy who lives alone with his grandparents. His rebellious, talkative grandfather escapes the present by fleeing to his memories of the past, weaving for his grandson a fantastic tapestry of stories both of family sagas and of biblical, Talmudic, and historical characters. Simultaneously, the storyteller and the boy reali ...more
Published June 1st 2000 by Penguin Books (first published 1977)

To ask other readers questions about The End of a Family Story, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The End of a Family Story

Samet
Çocuk anlatıcılar en sevdiğim, en güvendiğim anlatıcılardır. Peter Simon'u unutmayacağım.
Adrian Buck
For fiction there are two roads to translation: the low road from bestseller-dom, and the high road from literary-ness. Knowing nothing of Nádas's sales in Hungarian, my hunch is that this book took the high road.

In my time in Hungary I've seen books on both roads. Hungarians waste much time translating and even reading rubbish like Bridget Jones presumably on the basis that sales in English = sales in Hungarian, even when they have own exemplars of the genre like Állítsátok meg Terézanyut. I ha
Viktorija
A dazzling construction and deconstruction of time and narrative.
Well worth the attempts to distill meaning from the sporadic, snapshot-like episodes related by the unreliable narrator and to navigate through the linear and cyclic temporal frames.
A descent into a half-mad, fairy-tale world interspersed with biblical allegories and political undertones.
During the class discussion I half-joked about applying an agnostic reading to the whole, because ultimately the discussion boiled down to an exch
Ana
One of the oddest books I have ever read.
I am quite sure this is a good, deeply honest book. However, all the potential was brutally compromised by the ever so irritating postmodernist cat and mouse games and the afferent stylistic infatuations. It was an ordeal reading through it, but I did it and am not sorry. Nadas is a good, even a great writer.
Some years ago this book just might have made an impression on me. Now I am older and impatient with tricks that get in the way of the book inside t
Ivan Damjanović
Discontinuous plot, intertextual layers, ironizing of the "big novel" form, different narrators/ perspectives and other postmodern methods in this one aren't adding much in the "readers delight" department. Infantile narrator almost gave me boredom cancer and Peter Simon's family history narrated by his grand(father) wasn't much more of a page-turner either (to say the least).
Ryan Ruser
Ryan Ruser marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2015
Camilla
Camilla marked it as to-read
May 17, 2015
Nanna
Nanna marked it as to-read
May 01, 2015
Tytti
Tytti added it
May 28, 2015
Claire
Claire marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2015
Solistas
Solistas marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2015
Nacho Martín
Nacho Martín marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2015
Grace
Grace marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2015
Bianka
Bianka marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2015
  • Animalinside
  • Life Times: Stories, 1952-2007
  • The Gourmet Club
  • Mr. Ives' Christmas
Hungarian novelist, essayist, and dramatist, a major central European literary figure. Nádas made his international breakthrough with the monumental novel A Book of Memories (1986), a psychological novel following the tradition of Proust, Thomas Mann, and magic realism.

Péter Nádas was born in Budapest, as the son of a high-ranking party functionary. Nádas's grandfather, Moritz Grünfeld, changed h
More about Péter Nádas...
Parallel Stories A Book of Memories Own Death A Lovely Tale of Photography Love