Start by marking “The End of a Family Story” as Want to Read:
The End of a Family Story

The End of a Family Story

3.45 of 5 stars 3.45  ·  rating details  ·  115 ratings  ·  6 reviews
The narrator of The End of a Family Story is a young boy who lives alone with his grandparents. His rebellious, talkative grandfather escapes the present by fleeing to his memories of the past, weaving for his grandson a fantastic tapestry of stories both of family sagas and of biblical, Talmudic, and historical characters. Simultaneously, the storyteller and the boy reali ...more
Published June 1st 2000 by Penguin Books (first published 1977)

To ask other readers questions about The End of a Family Story, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The End of a Family Story

Çocuk anlatıcılar en sevdiğim, en güvendiğim anlatıcılardır. Peter Simon'u unutmayacağım.
Adrian Buck
For fiction there are two roads to translation: the low road from bestseller-dom, and the high road from literary-ness. Knowing nothing of Nádas's sales in Hungarian, my hunch is that this book took the high road.

In my time in Hungary I've seen books on both roads. Hungarians waste much time translating and even reading rubbish like Bridget Jones presumably on the basis that sales in English = sales in Hungarian, even when they have own exemplars of the genre like Állítsátok meg Terézanyut. I ha
A dazzling construction and deconstruction of time and narrative.
Well worth the attempts to distill meaning from the sporadic, snapshot-like episodes related by the unreliable narrator and to navigate through the linear and cyclic temporal frames.
A descent into a half-mad, fairy-tale world interspersed with biblical allegories and political undertones.
During the class discussion I half-joked about applying an agnostic reading to the whole, because ultimately the discussion boiled down to an exch
One of the oddest books I have ever read.
I am quite sure this is a good, deeply honest book. However, all the potential was brutally compromised by the ever so irritating postmodernist cat and mouse games and the afferent stylistic infatuations. It was an ordeal reading through it, but I did it and am not sorry. Nadas is a good, even a great writer.
Some years ago this book just might have made an impression on me. Now I am older and impatient with tricks that get in the way of the book inside t
Ivan Damjanović
Discontinuous plot, intertextual layers, ironizing of the "big novel" form, different narrators/ perspectives and other postmodern methods in this one aren't adding much in the "readers delight" department. Infantile narrator almost gave me boredom cancer and Peter Simon's family history narrated by his grand(father) wasn't much more of a page-turner either (to say the least).
Steven Chang
Steven Chang marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2015
Rodney Ulyate
Rodney Ulyate marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2015
Noam is currently reading it
Sep 17, 2015
Melinda marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2015
Seda marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2015
Mayk Şişman
Mayk Şişman marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2015
Jen marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2015
Martin Dolezal
Martin Dolezal marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2015
Christine Palau
Christine Palau marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2015
Janice marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2015
Ryan Ruser
Ryan Ruser marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2015
Camilla marked it as to-read
May 17, 2015
Nanna marked it as to-read
May 01, 2015
  • The Tragedy of Man
  • Yesterday
  • Frida's Bed
  • Selected Stories
  • Ada Berita Apa Hari Ini, Den Sastro?
  • Animalinside
Hungarian novelist, essayist, and dramatist, a major central European literary figure. Nádas made his international breakthrough with the monumental novel A Book of Memories (1986), a psychological novel following the tradition of Proust, Thomas Mann, and magic realism.

Péter Nádas was born in Budapest, as the son of a high-ranking party functionary. Nádas's grandfather, Moritz Grünfeld, changed h
More about Péter Nádas...
A Book of Memories Parallel Stories Own Death A Lovely Tale of Photography Love