The Sacred Hoop: Recovering the Feminine in American Indian Traditions

The Sacred Hoop: Recovering the Feminine in American Indian Traditions

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  277 ratings  ·  10 reviews
This pioneering work, first published in 1986, documents the continuing vitality of American Indian traditions and the crucial role of women in those traditions.
Published September 1st 1992 by Beacon Press (first published 1986)

Christy
Though she sometimes succumbs to generalizations and risks merely substituting the dominance of one gender over the other in her theorization of matriarchal American Indian cultures, Paula Gunn Allen provides some really interesting ideas about the differences between American Indian literature and western literature as well as some useful analysis of major American Indian authors.

"The Sacred Hoop" provides the most insight into American Indian thought. Allen here argues, for instance, that “In...more
al•veiz
Paula Gunn Allen is really a great and notable scholar. I am endlessly pleased with her essays. I have consistently found them to be encompassing, original and acute. It seems that she can write from all sides of the fence in the tesseract dimension of emotional identities.
Her impact is especially well executed through the subjects she chooses to address. Writing to a target audience of english teachers about how to teach literature that integrates native american art and the philosophical envir...more
Deb Owens
Aug 26, 2008 Deb Owens rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: serious students of Native American cultures or feminism
Recommended to Deb by: O magazine
I used this book as a resource in my Field Project for college. It is a collection of writings by Gunn and other authors. As such, I found some articles more interesting/useful than others. Generally, the book describes the important role women in Native American cultures pre-contact with Europeans. A few articles describe the impact that reaches into problems with today's Native American cultures. Definitely not a light read.
Ciara
This book was pretty dissappointing to me. I was looking for a book that celebrated womanhood about Native Americans, with teachings and essays on the subject. But it's really dry, and deals more with modern issues specific to Indian women, and wasn't of much interest to me.
Steven Salaita
I know Allen was revered by many as a Native feminist and intellectual, but this book is just so hard to read at times, what with its essentialism and naturalist bromides. It's a useful book, but it's aging poorly.
Nanu
She makes some very good points regarding the stereotyping that exists even among the indigenous peoples themselves... A very interesting read.
Nancy Rossman
It's not that I hated it. Again, I didn't finish this one. The problem is that it is way beyond my spiritual being, and that is what it is about.
Elizabeth
Sueb
I just heard she died
Taylor
Taylor marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2014
Carmen
Carmen marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2014
Neeyati
Neeyati marked it as to-read
Carrie
Carrie marked it as to-read
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Neverdust
Neverdust marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2014
Lindsey
Lindsey marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2014
Laura Harper wright
Laura Harper wright marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2014
Cristina
Cristina marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2014
Jacqui
Jacqui marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2014
Belinda Davis
Belinda Davis marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2014
Nancy Mcdowell
Nancy Mcdowell marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2014
Kelsey
Kelsey marked it as to-read
MFCOMMAND
MFCOMMAND marked it as to-read
T And
T And added it
Danka
Danka marked it as to-read
Julie
Julie marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2014
  • All Our Relations: Native Struggles for Land and Life
  • Red Earth, White Lies: Native Americans and the Myth of Scientific Fact
  • Reinventing the Enemy's Language: Contemporary Native Women's Writings of North America
  • I Am Woman: A Native Perspective on Sociology and Feminism
  • Conquest: Sexual Violence and American Indian Genocide
  • Native American Testimony: A Chronicle of Indian-White Relations from Prophecy to the Present
  • Like a Hurricane: The Indian Movement from Alcatraz to Wounded Knee
  • Moving Beyond Words: Age, Rage, Sex, Power, Money, Muscles: Breaking Boundaries of Gender
  • Waterlily
  • Genocide of the Mind: New Native American Writing
  • This Bridge We Call Home: Radical Visions for Transformation
  • Massacre of the Dreamers: Essays on Xicanisma
  • Decolonizing Methodologies: Research and Indigenous Peoples
Paula Gunn Allen was a Native American poet, literary critic, lesbian activist, and novelist.

Born Paula Marie Francis in Albuquerque, Allen grew up in Cubero, New Mexico, a Spanish-Mexican land grant village bordering the Laguna Pueblo reservation. Of mixed Laguna, Sioux, Scottish, and Lebanese-American descent, Allen always identified most closely with the people among whom she spent her childhoo...more
More about Paula Gunn Allen...
Spider Woman's Granddaughters: Traditional Tales and Contemporary Writing by Native American Women The Woman Who Owned the Shadows Grandmothers of The Light: A Medicine Woman's Sourcebook Pocahontas: Medicine Woman, Spy, Entrepreneur, Diplomat Voice of the Turtle