Start by marking “How I Became A Writer & Oggie Learned to Drive” as Want to Read:
How I Became A Writer & Oggie Learned to Drive

How I Became A Writer & Oggie Learned to Drive

Anyone anywhere near Garden Street knows to stay away from the Night Riders, and Archie is no different. He and his little brother, Oggie, know the gang is up to no good. When they steal Oggie's prized red wallet and his entire life savings ($50 is a lot for a six-year-old), Archie has to get it back. After all, Archie has been looking out for his little brother ever since ...more
Published November 10th 2003 by Puffin (first published January 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about How I Became A Writer & Oggie Learned to Drive, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How I Became A Writer & Oggie Learned to Drive

Dolores
Jul 19, 2016 Dolores rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ntg-arc, azr
I thoroughly enjoyed this book from start to finish. The author deftly weaves the two story lines together, provides oodles of tips and inspiration for aspiring writers, and seems to have an illuminated window into the mind of a child.

The reason I didn't give this book 5-stars is because I can't figure out who I would recommend it to.

Children 8 - 12 ? several things here too mature for that age group. Their parents are barely separated when dad moves his girlfriend in and then she get pregnant,
Miriam
Dec 10, 2013 Miriam rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Found this on Netgalley.

Archie and Oogie shuttle between their divorcing parents' homes and Archie uses his storytelling gifts to sooth Oogie and reinterpret their sometimes frightening, chaotic lives to make them tolerable. There's a real sense of how children who are forced to deal with the problems their adults create can devise coping mechanisms to rise above their circumstances.

I should say that the boys' parents are not actually neglectful--they are loving (in their own ways) and try to
Michael Montgomery
My mom was the one who found this book for me because she knows I like to write and she thought I would like it, which I did. I could compare to the main charcter because that made it a lot more fun to read. At times, when the main character was telling what he liked about writing it was almost like we were comparing thoughts. The realistic and heartfelt story was adventurous, imaginative, and at some times exciting. It was some of the best realistic fiction I've ever read.
Bill
Sep 20, 2013 Bill rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you have read the blurb about this and thinking, ‘Not another book
about kids cycling between divorced parents! I’ve read a hundred of those!’, then forget the blurb – hey It’s blurb! And it doesn’t give you a clue about just how cool this book is.

Mole People? A 6 year old learning to drive? Yup, it’s all true or true enough, and this is one great book – and a lot of fun, too!
Christine
Feb 19, 2012 Christine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Our boys, ages 5 & 10, really related to this book more than any I've ever read them. They begged for more every night until I was reading 3-4 chapters a night. The characters made a real connection with the boys.
Neill Smith
Aug 08, 2011 Neill Smith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Archie is an aspiring writer who tells stories to Oggie, his younger brother. Then Oggie is mugged and Archie has to join a local gang to get his brother’s wallet back. With the help of Raven Archie struggles to do what is right while Oggie tries to take matters into his own hands.
Evan O'Grady
Feb 26, 2016 Evan O'Grady rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this book was a good book about a boy and his brother. The kids have divorced parents and the older kid is writing a book and he has to take care of the younger brother. This book has some adventure in it and is a very good book.
Sylvia
Two brothers of divorcing parents. Must cope with awful reality. One boy writes a story that's parallel to their world of loss, uprootedness, exposure to street gangs, etc. The story is about the Mysterious Mole people.
Drew
Feb 22, 2010 Drew rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good story with funny parts. Its suspense was very good and I couldn't wait to turn the page. I think it is a great story.
Virginia
Virginia rated it did not like it
Jan 04, 2013
Roger
Roger rated it really liked it
Jul 29, 2007
Amy Cook
Amy Cook rated it really liked it
Jan 08, 2013
Kate Stericker
Kate Stericker rated it it was amazing
Oct 23, 2016
Min Zhi
Min Zhi rated it it was ok
Nov 17, 2016
Melissa
Melissa rated it liked it
Apr 30, 2016
Lindsay
Lindsay rated it it was ok
Dec 28, 2010
Liz Garden
Liz Garden rated it liked it
Aug 04, 2013
Amy
Amy rated it liked it
Sep 21, 2010
Alison
Nov 05, 2007 Alison rated it it was amazing
This book is great.It was a really exciting adventure
Liz Kay
Liz Kay rated it liked it
Aug 06, 2016
Davide
Davide rated it liked it
Aug 26, 2014
Katie
Katie rated it really liked it
Oct 08, 2007
Kierstin
Kierstin rated it really liked it
Jan 02, 2017
Kim
Kim rated it liked it
Jan 22, 2008
Cws
JAR4-Lis
Norah
Norah rated it really liked it
Jun 10, 2010
Kyoungbin
Kyoungbin rated it really liked it
Aug 19, 2014
Phoebe
Phoebe rated it it was amazing
Oct 11, 2015
Bethany Dickey
Bethany Dickey rated it it was amazing
Jul 26, 2013
Su-Lin Lye
Su-Lin Lye rated it it was ok
Jan 23, 2010