Start by marking “The Baltimore Waltz” as Want to Read:
The Baltimore Waltz

The Baltimore Waltz

When Anna, an unmarried schoolteacher, is diagnosed with ATD, Acquired Toilet Disease, a fatal new malady with a high risk factor for elementary school teachers, she and her brother Carl take flight to Europe. Anna decides she wants to drown herself in the sensuality of food and sex, while Carl becomes involved in a wild Third Mannish espionage scheme to find a cure for hi ...more
Paperback, Acting Edition, 72 pages
Published October 1st 1992 by Dramatists Play Service, Inc. (first published June 1992)

To ask other readers questions about The Baltimore Waltz, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Baltimore Waltz

Baltimore Blues by Laura LippmanDinner at the Homesick Restaurant by Anne TylerThe Amateur Marriage by Anne TylerHomicide by David SimonWhat the Dead Know by Laura Lippman
Baltimore
91st out of 161 books — 25 voters

More lists with this book...

Samantha Liguori
Nov 02, 2010 Samantha Liguori rated it liked it
Jil
Feb 12, 2009 Jil rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: those with an interest in AIDS, Europe, or playwriting
Recommended to Jil by: Gregory Moss
Shelves: school, play
I liked this play because I enjoyed translating the French, German, and Spanish to myself in my head.

I liked this play because I find works about AIDS fascinating, especially when they aren't obvious or sentimental.

I liked this play because of the staging of the six stages of terminal illness.

I did not like the baffling promiscuity of Anna -- am I supposed to take it that her brother, Carl, fucked away his last days, even though he had AIDS? Surely not.

I did not like the baffling Third Man in t
Nan
Jan 18, 2013 Nan rated it really liked it
Vogel is a master playwright. Anna's self absorption is typical of living and healthy. She misses all clues of her brother's own mortality. There are, however, some odd bits that I don't quite get -- Anna's promiscuity and the rabbit. I would love to see this play staged.
Daniel
Jul 06, 2012 Daniel rated it really liked it
Gorgeous ending. Stretches of it felt a little disjointed as I neared the end, but I overall understood what everything meant. Wonderful use of props as symbols. I'm starting to notice the techniques Vogel uses in her plays to lay out themes and such. She's a master.
Megan
Aug 12, 2008 Megan added it
I can't decide what I thought of this play. I'm not sure I understood everything, but I also accidentally read the ENDING on the back cover before I had finished it, so that was a bit of a problem.
Jessica
Jul 03, 2011 Jessica rated it liked it
Shelves: school-books
Funny, thought provoking, and sweet all at the same time. I read it in search of a monologue and really enjoyed Anna's character. I would love to see it preformed.
Kathryn
Mar 23, 2009 Kathryn rated it it was amazing
One of the first American plays about HIV/AIDS. Exquisitely written and a heartbreaking but beautiful read.
Neal
Mar 23, 2011 Neal rated it it was amazing
Vogel's plays are wonderfully poignant. Highly recommended.
Rayne
Rayne marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2016
Wendy
Wendy rated it it was amazing
Sep 23, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2016
Donely Henry
Donely Henry rated it it was amazing
Sep 20, 2016
Hannah Cohen
Hannah Cohen rated it it was ok
Sep 16, 2016
Madison
Madison rated it liked it
Sep 15, 2016
Natalie
Natalie is currently reading it
Aug 19, 2016
Evie
Evie added it
Aug 19, 2016
Melissa Cox
Melissa Cox rated it it was ok
Aug 17, 2016
Nick K
Nick K rated it really liked it
Aug 14, 2016
Kyle
Kyle added it
Aug 12, 2016
Kenny
Kenny marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2016
Anniek
Anniek added it
Aug 04, 2016
Antonio Puente
Antonio Puente rated it really liked it
Aug 04, 2016
Anika
Anika rated it really liked it
Aug 02, 2016
Danielle Germanowski
Danielle Germanowski rated it it was amazing
Jul 29, 2016
Kristan Brown
Kristan Brown rated it it was ok
Jul 27, 2016
Laura Deger
Laura Deger marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2016
Lee K. Paige
Lee K. Paige rated it liked it
Jul 23, 2016
Julia McCarthy
Julia McCarthy marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2016
  • Saved
  • Caroline, or Change
  • The Pirates of Penzance
  • Fires in the Mirror
  • Superior Donuts (TCG Edition)
  • The Skriker
  • Dog Sees God
  • A Little Night Music
  • The Playwright's Guidebook: An Insightful Primer on the Art of Dramatic Writing
  • The Clean House
  • Venus in Fur
  • Waiting for Lefty
  • Machinal
Paula Vogel is an American playwright and university professor. She received the 1998 Pulitzer Prize for Drama for her play, How I Learned to Drive.

Vogel was born in Washington, D.C. to Donald Stephen Vogel, an advertising executive, and Phyllis Rita Bremerman, a secretary for United States Postal Service Training and Development Center. She is a graduate of The Catholic University of America (197
More about Paula Vogel...