Start by marking “Deep As The Marrow” as Want to Read:
Deep As The Marrow

Deep As The Marrow

3.74  ·  Rating Details  ·  963 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
“Once in a while, a thriller comes along that is truly inspired in conception and perfect in execution. Just such a book is Deep as the Marrow, by F. Paul Wilson. The story unfolds with speed and suspense, spurred on by the interactions of the memorable and often likeable characters.” (The Associated Press)

The President of the United States has decided to end the war on d
Published July 11th 1996 by Headline

To ask other readers questions about Deep As The Marrow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Deep As The Marrow

Shawn Davis
When the POTUS decides to push an agenda of legalizing drugs, the cartels decide to fight for their lives. The President needs to die, but it can't be an assassination.

Thank goodness his personal physician has a reason to do the deed.

Deep as the Marrow is different from other books I've read by Wilson. There is no hint of the supernatural in any way, it is a straight thriller. It is also a very well written one. Wilson effectively moves from POV to POV, each time allowing a bit more of the stor
Dirk
May 19, 2011 Dirk rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
F. Paul Wilson wrote a few horror books that I enjoyed back in the 80′s so when I saw this book from him at the library used book sale for 50 cents, I snagged it.

I wasn’t too impressed with it. It’s not a horror book, it’s a straight up thriller. Basically the President of the United States decides to push through a bill to legalize drugs and the South American Cocaine cartels decide they can’t allow this to happen, so they kidnap the daughter of the President’s oldest and best friend. Who is al
Roger Scherping
Sep 11, 2014 Roger Scherping rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting idea for a plot, that the president would be pushing to decriminalize all drugs. But that was just the background for the story of Katie, the daughter of the president's personal physician, who was kidnapped by a drug syndicate to get her father to poison the president. Originally I was concerned that it would be a tiring, gruesome kidnapping story (the kidnappers were going to send him her toe as a persuader to cooperate), but the author is very imaginative and the story was full of ...more
William Bentrim
Feb 22, 2016 William Bentrim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Deep as the Marrow by F. Paul Wilson

This is a stand alone book and not related to the Repairman Jack series. John is a physician whose best friend ends up being President. Their relationship is the source of the issues in this novel.

John and Tom (the President) have a friendship that dates from elementary school. Still fast friends, decades later, John finds himself as the President's personal physician.

The turning point in this idyllic bromance is defined by Tom's decision to decriminalize il
Lisa (Harmonybites)
Aug 29, 2011 Lisa (Harmonybites) rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those Interested in Drug Policy; Lovers of Thrillers
I felt rather mixed on this one. F. Paul Wilson is known for his works of horror--this one has no element of the supernatural but rather is a work of medical suspense/political thriller. American President Thomas Winston calls for the legalization of drugs such as marijuana, cocaine and heroine. A Columbian drug lord, Carlos Salinas, is fearful he could succeed and destroy the very basis of the illegal drug trade. Salinas sets out to assassinate the president through his personal physician, John ...more
Tara Hall
Jan 09, 2013 Tara Hall rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book pulled me in immediately, and never let go. The characters ran the gamut from innocent to terrifying, and were superbly drawn. I really enjoyed the plot, which was interesting enough just based on the book’s back cover. But then halfway through the book the plot took on a life of its own, taking me for a roller coaster ride that had me on the edge of my seat. Just when I thought I knew what was going to happen next, something I couldn’t see coming happened to drive the action in a new ...more
William Malmborg
Deep as the Marrow was an exciting read, one that is a prefect example of what people want when sitting down with a suspense novel. Making this one even more enjoyable was the freshness with which it was told. Far too often suspense stories like this become too cliché and predicable, their authors tweaking a formula that works just enough to make the tale unique, yet far from original. F. Paul Wilson doesn’t do that with this one. Even better he doesn’t destroy the realness of the tale with unre ...more
Ed
Jun 19, 2016 Ed rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, ebooks
In "Deep As The Marrow", the US President decides to push for the legalization of marijuana and other drugs. Naturally, high-ranking members of certain drug cartels become worried that their lucrative business will dry up. Therefore, they arrange for the six year old daughter (Katie) of the President's personal physician and best friend (John) to be kidnapped and to present John with an awful choice: medically (and secretly) kill the president or have his daughter returned in pieces!

This book i
Skock
Sep 03, 2013 Skock rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
As a recreational writer, I sometimes force myself to read writing that I don't enjoy simply to study what the author does and doesn't do that makes the story work.

This is one of those books, unfortunately.

I was greeted by very one-dimensional characters, dialogue written for a teen Disney movie, and an extremely predictable and simple plot. I was hoping F. Paul Wilson was a new author to the scene and, if he was, I would give him some credit as a new author for trying. But once I read reviews o
Joan M Erickson
Mar 05, 2015 Joan M Erickson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Page-Turner

The kidnapping becomes complex as one follows the characters' actions. The issue of whether drugs should be legal or not really becomes a non-issue. Intriguing story.
Carolyn Dewalt
Apr 13, 2015 Carolyn Dewalt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Non-stop action

My second time to read this book and it was just as good the second time as the first. Just a good clean thriller to keep you reading. Try it.
Jeff Miller
Mar 09, 2015 Jeff Miller rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is "Message fiction" with a libertarian drug legalization theme.

If it wasn't the fact that the story was very good and a nice thriller the driving down the message would have put me totally off it.
Beth Tidman
What lengths will a drug lord go to when his livelyhood is threatened with the possibility of drugs being made legal? What length will a person go to to protect a kidnapped child?

I was surprised that this political thriller didn't have even a hint of the supernatural.Well developed characters and a plot that kept the pages turning. Completely enjoyed this book.
Rebecca McNutt
Deep as the Marrow was gripping for the most part, an eerie and original novel with corrupted politics and terror.
Lisa Lilly
The plot is intriguing -- a very unusual kidnapping where the ransom is something other than money and must be paid by someone other than a relative of the victim. F. Paul Wilson makes two of the kidnappers very sympathetic, the pace is good, and there are a number of twists. I did not find the protagonist quite as interesting as most of his characters, but I still recommend this for anyone who enjoys suspense with overall good characterization.
Paul
Jan 28, 2010 Paul rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Medical thrillers were never my cup of tea. I'm more into the far out there kinda books. I bought this a while ago sheerly because it's my man F. Paul Wilson. This books is one hell of a page turner. Screw the crazy paranormal for now, this is one intense book! On page 232, good to see Gerry again too! Pleasant surprise!
Kellie
Apr 14, 2009 Kellie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoy F. Paul Wilson's forays into the political arena. Deep as the Marrow left me feeling like I'd missed out on something. It was a little LaNague, a little Jack, and I wished it had been just a bit more of one or the other.

Still, a very good read. F. Paul Wilson and political suspense fans will enjoy this book.
Jonah
Jan 05, 2013 Jonah rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
Definitely the worst F. Paul Wilson title I have read. No surprises here. Only for the hardcore Wilson completists.

A generic thriller that gets more ridiculous as it goes, piling absurdity upon coincidence upon cliche.

This is one book that you may effectively judge by its cover.

Blech.
Heather Rothman
An enjoyable plane-ride read, particularly for those interested in politics. I found the plot a little less-than-believable, containing some obvious holes, but they're not big enough to make me not recommend it.

Scott
May 02, 2012 Scott rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun, fast paced thriller that had me frantically turning the pages until the end. Nothing spectaular in terms of plotting or writing, but this is a solid good read.
Chuck
Apr 28, 2010 Chuck rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
POTUS' personal physician's small daughter is kidnapped. What kind
of ransom will the kidnappers demand of her father? Good story.
Joe O'c
Very Good; drug lord and henchman attempt to get president's doctor to poison him by kidnapping the doctor's daughter.
Ricardo
May 17, 2012 Ricardo rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Not one of the worst books I've ever read but still, pretty bad
Pat
Interesting take on power in Washington DC.
Ron Judenberg
Mar 01, 2016 Ron Judenberg rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
read
Jon Mamaril
good book
Vincent
Vincent marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2016
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2016
Donald Justin
Donald Justin rated it it was amazing
Aug 21, 2016
GEORGE
GEORGE marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2016
  • King Blood
  • Fountain Society
  • The Union Club Mysteries
  • The Astronaut's Wife
  • Crime Wave: Reportage and Fiction from the Underside of L.A.
  • Mr Majestyk