Start by marking “Murmel, Murmel, Murmel” as Want to Read:

3.86  ·  Rating Details ·  1,296 Ratings  ·  44 Reviews
What in the world is Robin going to do with the baby she finds in her sandbox? “Murmel, murmel, murmel,” is all Robin hears coming from a hole in her sandbox. When she reaches down and out pops a baby, she finds herself in a real fix: who will take care of it? Robin’s too little! Off she goes, searching her neighborhood for someone who needs a baby. The woman with seventee ...more
Published May 1st 1982 by Annick Press

To ask other readers questions about Murmel, Murmel, Murmel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Murmel, Murmel, Murmel

Amberly
Aug 16, 2011 Amberly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
My favorite part of this whole book is the very last illustration with the girl in the truck.
Amanda
Jul 15, 2015 Amanda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This one is great for little ones who appreciate absurd humor. The story is about a little girl who finds a baby in her sandbox and attempts to pawn the baby off on someone since she's just 5 and can't take care of babies. It reads as a silly riff on the "are you my mommy" type books where a baby animal tries to find its parent, having no luck for a while and then finding a match. It ends on a silly note- the child gives a truck driver the baby and the truck driver gives the child a truck. This ...more
DelAnne Frazee
Genre: Children's Fiction
Overall Rating:
Reviewed For: NetGalley
Reviewer: DelAnne

Five year old Robin finds a baby in her sandbox one day and decides that she will find it a home. When I chose this book for review from NetGalley I thought it sounded adorable and it is funny and kind of quirky. It is t
Mary Brown
Jul 30, 2014 Mary Brown rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Murmel, Murmel Murmel by Robert Munsch is a children’s book about a little girl who finds a baby in a sandbox and must look for someone who wants a baby. She asks people that she sees on the street, an old woman, a lady in fancy clothes, a man at a bus stop, but no one she asks wants the baby. Then a man drives up in a truck and says he wants the baby and the little girl can have his truck.

This is a quirky silly book that young children will enjoy. The adult might be a little concerned about wh
Whole And
Awwwww, is the best way to describe this book.

Strange, funny and sweet is also applicable here since five year old Robin finds a baby in her sandbox and attempts to find who will take care of it!

A wonderful journey into a conversation about parents often need babies in their lives, not knowing they ever did! A wonderful approach to expressing to our little people how fulfilling having a child really is. It's an opportunity to describe the rich experience of deep happiness and joy often leaving '
Morgan
This is a short story written by Robert Munsch. It is about a young girl finding a baby in a hole in a playground sand box. The young girl cannot take care of the baby so she goes out and tries to find someone who does need a baby. Person after person she asks does not need a baby until a fire truck pulls up and the man does need a baby. I thought this book was a fun quick read aloud but was a little disappointed in just how short the story was.
David
Feb 10, 2011 David rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Murmel, Murmel, Murmel by Robert N. Munsch, illustrated by Michael Martchenko, is a hilarious story about a girl, Robin, who finds a baby in a sandbox. After a series of attempts ro find the baby a home, Robin finally succeeds, & receives a special present.

Great illustrations carry this story along. The conclusion reminds me a bit of Fire Station. This can be a good read-aloud.

For ages 4 to 7, humor and baby themes, and fans of Robert N. Munsch & Michael Martchenko..
Shannon
I chose this for my 3-5 year old creative drama class. I chose this because I adore The Paper Bag Princess and was looking for another interesting female protagonist, Robin is a pretty interesting character. Love the cadence of this book and the premise is fancicul and sweet. The girls chose their own character and then had one line concerning why they could not care for a baby. Perfect to revisit in the cirriculum later!
Edwina Hall Callan
Apr 26, 2013 Edwina Hall Callan rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bookcrossing, 2013
Not surprised to see this on the banned books list.
Creepy little story about a 5 year old girl who finds a baby buried in her sandbox and then walks all over town with the baby trying to give it away to complete strangers. *shudders*
Not something I would have read to my children when they were small.
Mary Prado

Written by Robert Munsch
Illustrated by Michael Martchenko

Robin finds a little baby down in a hole in her sandbox. She tries to find a home for the baby taking it from stranger to stranger. This in itself is a bit disturbing. I was disappointed by this book and the story line. I love Robert Munsch but really felt this book fell short.
C-chan
Sep 23, 2012 C-chan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is among my favourite of Robert Munsch's books!

I love the baby, I love the use of seventeen (why seventeen, I don't know, but the repetition is great).

Also, I love that the baby says yes. It's kind of a deus ex machina but it's so perfect and I love it.
Kirstin Kemppainen
This is a story about a young girl who finds a baby in her sandbox! All the baby says is "murmel, murmel, murmel". After many attempts to get rid of the baby she finally comes across a truck driver who says he needs the baby! And trades the baby for a truck! Very amusing cute book :)
Ryan
I've started reading books to my son (he's due to be born in around six weeks). What better way to start than with a classic? If I'm planning on reading more Munsch, though, I need to work more on my voices.
Kate
Feb 20, 2013 Kate rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: storytime
Classic Munsch but not the best of his classics. A hilarious read-aloud for storytime. The words/picture ratio is high though so this book would not be appropriate for children who are too young (more elementary school than preschool).
Sara Ansted
Um... a lot more random than I expected. Like in a weird way. I kinda still liked it, and kinda was like "Dude, what??"
Cindy Torres
a cute story about a girl who finds a baby in the sand box and go through alot of adventures together.

a very silly read.
Bree
Nov 22, 2014 Bree rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Notes:
girl finds a baby in a hole and tries to give it away
ending is funny but not really a great book
Karin
Jul 23, 2011 Karin rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
We still wander around the house saying murmel murmel murmel. So I guess you could say that this one sticks with you.
TheMcafeeKids
Feb 02, 2013 TheMcafeeKids rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like this book because the baby says murmel murmel murmel and comes out of the sandbox. The man had the baby and he gave her his truck. - C, age 4
Richelle
Dec 12, 2015 Richelle rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't really like this one.. I found it kind of pointless! why did the guy need a baby? and where did the baby come from!?
this one wasn't for me..
Shannon
Jan 01, 2010 Shannon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My class did a unit on readers' theatre once, and one group did the book "Murmel, Murmel, Murmel". They did such a great job, and the end makes this such a great story.
Barb
Aug 02, 2011 Barb added it
if you have not read these to your children or to yourself, you are missing out on childrens literature at its finest
Jessie
Munschworks collection
Nora
Sep 12, 2014 Nora rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jp
A cute story where a little girl digs a baby up out of the sandbox & tries to find it a family.
Amanda Pfeifer
Jan 21, 2013 Amanda Pfeifer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens-books
This is my son's favortie book right now! He can tell the story himself!
Kate
Jan 16, 2014 Kate marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
Recommended by Teacher Tom
Gillian
Oct 09, 2012 Gillian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids
I really loved this one. It is a little odd but wonderful - the ending is the best!
Lauren
I really did not "get" this book
Nathan
May 03, 2016 Nathan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
I've been going back and forth on this rating from 2 stars to 3. In the end I've decided on 2 stars, because this just doesn't live up to the better Munsch books, in my opinion. I like the idea, but I think there was something missing.
  • The Wonderful Pigs of Jillian Jiggs
  • Red Is Best
  • A Porcupine in a Pine Tree: A Canadian 12 Days of Christmas
  • Scaredy Squirrel at Night
  • Come Over to My House
  • Alligator Pie (Collector's Edition)
  • Buford the Little Bighorn
  • The Berenstain Bears Ready, Get Set, Go!
  • But No Elephants
  • The Cremation of Sam McGee
Robert Munsch was born in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. He graduated from Fordham University in 1969 with a Bachelor of Arts degree in history and from Boston University in 1971 with a Master of Arts degree in anthropology.

He studied to become a Jesuit priest, but decided he would rather work with children after jobs at orphanages and daycare centers. In 1973, he received a Master of Education in Chil
More about Robert Munsch...