Scared To Live (Ben Cooper & Diane Fry, #7)

Scared To Live (Ben Cooper & Diane Fry #7)

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  593 ratings  ·  47 reviews
With One Last Breath and The Dead Place, Stephen Booth has taken his place both among “the elite British crime writers” and as a master of psychological suspense. Now Detective Constable Ben Cooper and Detective Sergeant Diane Fry must uncover the secrets of two grim murder scenes in England’s Peak District—one inexplicable…and the other unspeakable.

How do you investigate...more
Published May 20th 2008 by Bantam (first published February 5th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Scared To Live, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Scared To Live

Shireen
After reading mysteries of varying quality by writers unknown to me, it was a pleasure -- a comforting, familiar pleasure -- to pick up where I had left off in Stephen Booth's Cooper and Fry series several months ago. I devoured it.

Then I lay back, somnolent from total satiation. That can be the only reason I took so long to write this review, for the book is good. In the previous books in this series, there had been much about Fry's or Cooper's personal stories woven throughout the mysteries, w...more
Samantha
Nov 30, 2008 Samantha rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: British Mystery Fans
Nikki
Although I enjoyed this latest in the Cooper and Fry series, and will be awaiting the next quite eagerly, I found Scared to Live a bit disappointing. Perhaps it's because I figured out the Big Surprise at the end of the book several chapters in advance. The book deals with the murder of a mysterious, reclusive woman, to which Cooper is assigned, and also with the arson death of a woman and two children, which Fry investigates. Not surprisingly, the cases turn out to be related, and both have a...more
Nick Duretta
Two separate murder incidents occur within a week of one another in the quiet English Peak District backcountry. Are they connected? This is the second Booth police procedural I've read and it's every bit as good as the first. The characters are extremely well-drawn, the setting vividly rendered, and the police appropriately fallable. They go down many blind alleys before arriving at the solution. This is a mystery to get lost in until the satisfying (and surprising) conclusion.
Sally
This British police procedural has always been better than average, but this latest entry became a little tedious in the middle. It needs better pacing.
Clare O'Beara
The Peak District discovers that crime is now international. Two unrelated cases - an arson killing a mother and two boys, and a shooting of a reclusive woman - turn out to have common roots in Bulgaria.

First the local investigations have to be carried out, with a grief-stricken husband coming under suspicion and a lonely woman's wanderings being retraced. Detectives Fry and Cooper have less personal time than usual but they each meditate on change. Ben Cooper sees the farmers being forced out...more
Ian Mapp
Priya
Originally posted here.

You can start reading the series with this book, but I really think you should first get to know the characters through the first book, Black Dog. Scared to Live is not really fast paced, but it is definitely thrilling. There are twists and turns and unexpected outcomes, but they are not all there is. The book is set in the fictional Peak District town of Edendale and are filled with picturesque descriptions of the countryside. It revolves around the lives of two Derbyshir...more
Spuddie
#7 Ben Cooper/Diane Fry police procedural mystery set in the Peak District of the UK. Two major cases are plaguing the local cop shop--a house fire that killed a mother and her two children, determined later to be arson, and thus murder, and the professional-style killing of a sixty-ish reclusive woman in a small neighboring village.

No one really knew Rose Shepherd, as she'd moved in just 10 months previously and 'kept herself to herself' as they say. Her history and paper trail was very brief,...more
Mariagabriella
This book in the Edendale police series is a bit longer than the others, but it is in no way lengthy. Two events, which happen within 24 h from each other, are the object of investigation for DS Fry and DC Cooper, a fire and a shooting. There are a few twist and turns, and a car explodes in Wakefield, an event that seems to be related to the shooting, but... it is not all what it seems!
Thoroughly enjoyable... and now I am waiting for the next in series to arrive to keep on reading!
George
A DS Diane Fry and DC Ben Cooper mystery set in the English Peak District. They are working on two cases: the murder of a reclusive woman in her home and the house fire deaths of a mother and two children. A Bulgarian connection develops which has Fry working a Bulgarian police officer sent to England.

A good mystery with a greater role and more revealing of personal aspects of Diane Fry.
Stuart
This book was OK. There was a good plot, but it was revealed in an incoherent way, I felt. Why, for example, did we have a car exploded in the main street? It seems to have been just a distraction. I also found the detectives mannerisms a little intrusive. Perhaps if I had read the previous books in the series, it might have helped with that, but as often happens, I jumped in to a series in the middle. I also felt that the eventual killers were not totally plausible…. I don't see me reading the...more
Lela
I have read the Ben Cooper/Diane Fry books in order so far. Some I really liked and some I liked. The characters are interesting and well-developed but seem either too slow moving on or incapable of getting out of a very old rut. The two depend on each other almost for existence, and yet, their relationship is fraught with land mines....usually ones Diane has hidden and Ben trods on. This story has almost too many twists and turns. A reader of mysteries loves puzzles but sometimes there are just...more
Carol Jean
A little too complicated, though the plot is fascinating. Arson, lamping, Sheela-na-gig, nosy neighbors and the Bulgarian mafia....Somehow the characters don't resonate in this one as they have in the previous books in this series, and some of the conversations come across as wooden. Still, it is interesting reading.
Jill Hutchinson
Another in the Fry/Cooper police series set in the Peak District and it is just as interesting and complex as those that have gone before it. A reclusive woman is shot dead through the window of her home and the police can't find anything of a personal nature about the victim except her name....she talked to no one, she didn't leave the house, and she was a mystery to her neighbors. No motive is apparent. Meanwhile across town, a fire destroys a house and kills a young mother and two of her thre...more
Suspense Magazine
“Scared to Live” is the seventh in a series of crime novels by Steven Booth, following detectives Diane Fry and Ben Cooper. This is my first time reading the series and I found Sergeant Fry and Cooper to be an enjoyable team to follow. The story however falls flat with an overabundance of imagery, creating page after page of detail on something you don’t even care about. The story itself is far fetched, and with each page the story becomes more absurd. I wanted to like this book, the characters...more
Anneb
ambitious idea - it was ok - think i would've like Ben Cooper and DS Fry more developed as they have to be explained each book, it holds back solid character writing. will try another as I quite like these two.
Carol Andrews
A police drama set in Derbyshire. I enjoyed this one, I liked the characters, there were plenty of clues and red herrings and a nice totally unexpected twist at the end. A good read indeed.
Kate
I gave this a poor rating because it was far too long. What started out as a very intriguing mystery became bogged down with too many elements. Cooper and Fry are likeable, but without the standout qualities of intersting protagonists like Rankin's D.I. Rebus or Robinson's Banks, or Grafton's P.i. Millhone. They are rather generic, one prickly, one soulful, not interesting enough to carry us when the plot falters. There is not enough plot in this book for 600+ pages and Mr. Booth's editor would...more
D.A. Cairns
The was the first Fry and Cooper novel that I've actually read. I listened to all the others. The plotting is amazing as usual and I love the characters but it takes too long, there's too much stuff too wade through. Some of it is interesting but a lot of it makes me want to fast forward to the good bits if you know what I mean. If the narrative moved faster I would happily rate all Booths Fry and Cooper novels as four out of five. It's a minor criticism really. I really recommend Booth's crime...more
J.F. Juzwik
Another excellent Cooper and Fry novel. I love these two characters. I don't want to give anything away in this one, but I will say that there are many twists and turns and a lot of characters and what I would describe as sub-plots. But, as usual, the plot flows very smoothly and you never get lost in either the various storylines or get any of the characters confused. It all fits together perfectly all the way through. As with any of Stephen Booth's novels, I recommend this highly.
Gayatri
The title of the book 'Scared to Live' contradicts the story told.As the name suggests, you would expect some kind of mystery or thrilling plot, but the plot is not-so interesting once u have read it although the theme is really sweet. Its basically about a father who goes to an unimaginable extent to get back his child.Now if I reveal more about the novel, one would lose the charm of reading it.So enjoyyy....
Caroline
This was an enjoyable, interesting read. I've read all the previous Cooper and Fry books. At the beginning of the series I confess I didn't like Diane Fry much. However, as the series progresses and we learn more about the central characters and what makes them tick, I find myself warming to her. Stephen Booth is a great storyteller and I would recommend his books.
Kandace Brown
This book was ok. I found the start of the book was hard to get into as there were so many scenes being described that there was a lot of jumping back & forth. At times the UK slang had me guessing at what they were saying. Really enjoyed the second half of the book as things moved on & pulled together, great mystery had me constantly guessing on who did it.
Dot
Another of the Ben Cooper detective novels set in Derbyshire. Again their are excellent descriptions of the countryside, this time focussing on the Matlock area. An added sub plot of a Bulgarian detective who comes to assist in the murder inquiries related to Bulgarian immigrants.
Steve
I'm a big fan of this series, but this one is uneven and over-long; no further books in the series were published in the US after this, and I can understand why. Now tracking down the subsequent 4 to see if that was a mistake . . .
Kirsty Darbyshire
Another great episode with Fry & Cooper; how long can Booth keep Diane in Derbyshire though? First time I've wondered if the characters weren't becoming a little stale. Good story that goes off where you aren't expecting it to.
Gary Van Cott
The relationship between Ben Cooper and Diane Fry is unchanged from the previous book. There are some details in the conclusion of the book that are never fully explained. That seems to be typical of English mysteries.
  • A Killing Frost (Inspector Frost, #6)
  • The Vows of Silence (Simon Serailler, #4)
  • Wednesday's Child (Inspector Banks, #6)
  • Hidden Depths (Vera Stanhope, #3)
  • Cut Short
  • Not Dead Enough (Roy Grace, #3)
  • The Best Man to Die (Inspector Wexford, #4)
  • Choked (Brennan & Esposito, #4)
A former newspaper journalist, Stephen Booth is the creator of two young Derbyshire police detectives, DS Ben Cooper and DS Diane Fry, who have so far appeared in 13 crime novels, all set in and around England's Peak District.

The Cooper & Fry series has won awards on both sides of the Atlantic, and Detective Constable Cooper has been a finalist for the Sherlock Award for the Best Detective cr...more
More about Stephen Booth...
Black Dog (Ben Cooper & Diane Fry, #1) Blood On The Tongue (Ben Cooper & Diane Fry, #3) Dancing With The Virgins (Ben Cooper & Diane Fry, #2) Blind To The Bones (Ben Cooper & Diane Fry, #4) Dying To Sin (Ben Cooper & Diane Fry, #8)