Start by marking “War, Women, and Druids: Eyewitness Reports and Early Accounts of the Ancient Celts” as Want to Read:

"I know of no other work that pulls this sort of material together and groups it by such helpful categories (war, feasting, poetry, religion, women, etc.). I will certainly value it in my library and... as recommended reading for several of my courses. It will be a nice companion to Freeman's Ireland and the Classical World." --Patrick K. Ford, Professor and Chair of Celti ...more
Published October 1st 2002 by University of Texas Press (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about War, Women, and Druids, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about War, Women, and Druids

Sheila
Sep 01, 2014 Sheila rated it it was amazing
Through descriptions left by classical writers and historians, Freeman pieces together the culture of the Celts in Europe. The first chapter, "War," tells of Celtic tactics, weapons, and strategy. Aristotle describes Celtic warriors as "being absolutely without fear" (2). Freeman inserts accounts of different Celtic tribes across Europe, including Gaul and the northern Balkans. He also makes note of the separation between mainland Celts and those in the Western Isles, Britain and Ireland.
The nex
Pedro
Jul 16, 2009 Pedro rated it really liked it
A great work ! Freeman's book is able to present to in a very clear and concise way how the Ancient Celts were presented by Greek and Roman authors.
The book covers interesting topics such as Religion, the British Isles, Celtic Women and War.
Freeman's book plus David Rankin's Celts and the Classical World are a perfect combination for those who are interest in both Ancient History and also in Celtic Studies.
In my point of view War, Women, and Druids: Eyewitness Reports and Early Accounts of t
Rachel
Jan 03, 2014 Rachel rated it really liked it
Great collection of first person sources, and nicely concise. Translations can be questionable, but the author admits to this and offers other possibilities when possible.
Maya
Sep 23, 2011 Maya rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: celtic-history
Please read my review at Celtic Scholar
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2016
Cesia Ibarra
Cesia Ibarra marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2016
Lacey
Lacey marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2016
Yechiela Phillips
Yechiela Phillips marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2016
Nick Vollman
Nick Vollman rated it liked it
Jul 11, 2016
reveurdart
reveurdart marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2016
Amanda Titter
Amanda Titter rated it liked it
Jun 14, 2016
The Ninja Squirrel
The Ninja Squirrel marked it as to-read
May 22, 2016
SA
SA added it
Sep 26, 2016
Victoria
Victoria marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2016
C.A.
C.A. marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2016
Robin Rivers
Robin Rivers marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2016
Michael
Michael rated it it was ok
Feb 29, 2016
Charlotte Hamrick
Charlotte Hamrick marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2016
Jillian
Jillian rated it really liked it
Feb 17, 2016
Sheryl Chan
Sheryl Chan marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2016
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2016
Ta Vandercook
Ta Vandercook marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2015
Ella
Ella marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2015
Misty
Misty added it
Dec 07, 2015
Jb3
Jb3 marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2015
Manybooks
Manybooks marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2015
Peytie
Peytie marked it as to-read
Oct 31, 2015
Susan Thompson
Susan Thompson marked it as to-read
Oct 24, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
I teach Classics and Celtic studies at Luther College in the beautiful little town of Decorah, Iowa. I did my doctoral work at Harvard and taught at Boston University and Washington University in St. Louis before coming to Luther to help run the Classics department. I love teaching and see my writing as an extension of my work in the classroom. I hope you enjoy the books as much as I enjoyed writi ...more
More about Philip Freeman...