Start by marking “180 More: Extraordinary Poems for Every Day” as Want to Read:
180 More: Extraordinary Poems for Every Day
Preview

180 More: Extraordinary Poems for Every Day (Poetry 180)

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  684 ratings  ·  39 reviews
Come full circle with 180 new, exciting poems selected and introduced by Billy Collins.

Inspired by Billy Collins’s poem-a-day program for American high schools that he began through the Library of Congress, the original Poetry 180: A Turning Back to Poetry was a gathering of clear, contemporary poems aimed at a wide audience. In 180 More, Collins continues his ambitious mi
Published March 29th 2005 by Random House Trade

To ask other readers questions about 180 More, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 180 More

Judy
Earlier this year I was in the mood for poetry. I have several anthologies of the poets I read when I was in college, but I figured it was time to update. I am a fan of Billy Collins (former U.S. Poet Laureate) and his campaign to bring poetry back to the public school curriculum, which is part of why I chose this anthology of poems written by contemporary poets and compiled by Collins. I also used the highly literary method of browsing the ratings of poetry anthologies in Amazon.com as I consid ...more
David Haller
A useful survey of contemporary American poetry.

I decided, not long ago, to get some idea of what the landscape of contemporary American poetry was like, since I'm bad about reading poetry and I hadn't really read much since actually studying it formally in undergraduate school Literature classes; I'd read some things like Seamus Heaney's translation of Beowulf and (attempted) Nabokov's "Pale Fire", but aside from a handful of forays into Wisława Szymborska and Virginia Hamilton Adair, I've main
Terri Jacobson
A wonderful compilation of poems from this former U.S. Poet Laureate. It spans all types of poems, from the deeply dramatic to the amusing. Great fun to read, many great poems to remember.
Tom Romig
There is much to like in this fine anthology. I find that for the past three or four years, I always have a few books of poetry going at the same time, both anthologies and collections by individual poets. I usually read and savor a few poems each day. An enriching habit that I formed without even realizing it.

Billy Collins selected the poems and has provided a thoughtful introduction on the idea of "accessibility" in poetry. Apparently in some circles, though none I travel in, people who like "
Terry
I've enjoyed using Collins' earlier collection, Poetry 180 in my high school classes. This volume offers a similar sensibility: accessible poetry that often surprises and delights. While I have only read about half of the collection, I can offer these insights: most poets are represented with a single work, some by two, and a pair - Robert Wrigley and Bill Knott - merit three. Having the same number of poems as the previous volume, an additional 45 pages make it apparent that some longer poems h ...more
6gracie
Poetry 180 is a collection of 180 contemporary poems written by a variety of authors. This book was inspired by Billy Collin's poem-a-day program at the Library of Congress, this program was made so that one poem could be read once a day, every day for the school year at high schools across the nation. This book holds these great poems. I did not like this book because the poems were hard to understand such as the poem "The Poem of Chalk," this poem is about how a person is walking down the stre ...more
Melinda
I found this collection on Amazon and bought copies for all the teachers in my English Dept. You would be surprised (or maybe not) at how many teachers don't read, but with these short, tasty literary bon mots, there's really no reason to spend another half hour watching reality T.V. Enjoyed the introduction; Collins says a poem should be like an eye chart, that is, you can see the "big letters" on the first line, but as you read, things become harder to declarative decipher. Or, as Wallace Stev ...more
Brian
Not really poetry. Would have been better if creative sketches in prose. I go back to Hopkins, Elliot, and Auden.
Mike
May 15, 2007 Mike rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: People interested in contemporary poetry who don't know where to start.
Shelves: poetry
I bought this book to read selected poems to my freshman composition class. It served me well there. What Collins lacks as a poet he makes up for as an editor. He makes a point of collecting "accessable" poetry, which is a good thing I think. His own poetry is, perhaps, too accessable... but he's got a good eye for quality in others' work. I found some great leads on people I didn't know about in this book, including Mark Halliday and Jim Daniels.
Patricia
Just what the title says it is, most of these meet my poetry requirement of "not too long." However, my favorite was one of the longer poems in the book: David Kirby's "A Cowardice of Husbands" which can be found right now by googling its title. Is it just me or does it feel wrong to be able to access the contents of the book and read it online? Shouldn't we have to DO something to get our content?
Ellen
Wonderful. Billy Collins' sophomore effort at bringing all kinds of good poetry to teenagers. A wide variety of subjects, styles, voices, one every day for six months.
Rolfe Hunt
I enjoyed many of these poems and loved several. Reading other reviews, I am always surprised at the expectations people put on poems. A poem resonates with you or it does not. To judge each one as good or bad implies a universality of standards that does not exist. If it did not resonate with you today, some time in the future it might.
rebecca
lots of poems selected by our former poet laureate. as it turns out, i think i like billy collins' poetry more than i like his taste in poetry. still, there are some doozies in here, and it's always nice to be introduced to new poets by a poet you love.

so i'd say asi asi overall.
Richard
I am still trying to understand poetry. I really like Collins' poetry books, his poems seem to get through to me. This book is good, but I still have to struggle to get through most of them. The forward by Collins is worth checking the book out to read.
Sometimes the poems in this anthology seemed to get on a thought pattern, and other times they were just random thoughts by various poets. Needless to say, all of the poems were absolutely wonderful. I'm going to miss reading these in the morning.
Paul (formerly known as Current)
As an entry point to the multi-voiced world of poetry, this is a fine collection. Read it. Find what you like and then find those poets works. These are invitation to more poetry. Find the invites with your name on them and go.
Jessica Hanley
This is an anthology of contemporary poetry from an assortment of well-renowned poets. I like that has a smattering of work from many different poets, and it will expose teens to all of the different ways poetry can be written.
R.
It depends. What's your purpose in reading this anthology? Are you teaching with it? Because that's acceptable, I suppose. But that's about it.

Who trusts an anthology of poetry dressed in yellow?
Beth
Nov 27, 2010 Beth rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: poetry
I love Billy Collins' belief that reading poetry should be fun, not work. I didn't like this as much as the first Poetry 180 collection, but it's always soothing to add a little poetry to your day.

Kate
All different kinds of poems from around the world compiled just for high schoolers to be read every day of the week. Edited by Billy Collins (former poet laureate) to be enjoyed not analyzed.
Artifice Magazine

Who trusts an anthology of poetry dressed in yellow?
Tiffany
This collection was very dull. So many of the poems were boring and lacked any emotion or imagery. None of the poems were edgy or experimental. This collection just wasn't for me.
Kathy
This was a stretch for me. I am not a poem type of reader. However, I truly enjoyed the variety of literary voices and recommend this highly for someone just getting into poetry.
Emmy
A nice mish-mash of poetry. Some poems I absolutely loved, and others were not as good, but still, it was quite the enjoyable collection overall.
Ms. Piagentini
This is one of my all time favorite collections of poetry. I checked it out from the LHS Media Center and do not want to return it. It's that good!
Brendon Hertz
This one has some great poems in it, but there aren't as many as I'd have expected. I hold Billy Collins to a high standard.
Lara
This collection was not nearly as strong as the first 180 anthology, though there are still some gems.
Alex Baker
the first collection is better, but this one includes a poem by ripon college english professor david graham
Emily
poetry - very good - I love these books, even though I don't really understand all of them.
Shawna
this book has some very good poems in it. i also really like billy collins' introduction.
  • Fuel
  • Good Poems for Hard Times
  • The Poetry Home Repair Manual: Practical Advice for Beginning Poets
  • Strike Sparks: Selected Poems, 1980-2002
  • The Best American Poetry 2009
  • The Best American Poetry 2008 (Best American Poetry)
  • Different Hours
  • The Collected Poems
  • Staying Alive: Real Poems for Unreal Times
  • The Poets Laureate Anthology
  • Poet's Choice
  • Otherwise: New & Selected Poems
  • Great American Prose Poems: From Poe to the Present
  • New and Selected Poems, 1975-1995
William A. ("Billy") Collins is an American poet. He served two terms as the Poet Laureate of the United States from 2001 to 2003. In his home state, Collins has been recognized as a Literary Lion of the New York Public Library (1992) and selected as the New York State Poet for 2004.
More about Billy Collins...

Poetry 180 (2 books)
  • Poetry 180: A Turning Back to Poetry
Sailing Alone Around the Room: New and Selected Poems The Trouble With Poetry - And Other Poems Nine Horses Picnic, Lightning Horoscopes for the Dead