Start by marking “Daddy's Little Earner” as Want to Read:
Daddy's Little Earner

Daddy's Little Earner

4.01  ·  Rating Details ·  1,806 Ratings  ·  77 Reviews
'Daddy's Little Earner' tells the shocking story of a young girl forced into prostitution by her own father, and her painful journey to escape her horrific childhood and build a new life for herself and her sons.
Published January 7th 2008 by Harper Element

To ask other readers questions about Daddy's Little Earner, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Daddy's Little Earner

A Child Called "It" by Dave PelzerDear Teddy by J.D. StockholmPhenomena by Susan TarrTelling Teddy by J.D. StockholmGoodbye Teddy by J.D. Stockholm
True Story Child Abuse Books
18th out of 156 books — 263 voters
Speak by Laurie Halse AndersonA Child Called "It" by Dave PelzerThirteen Reasons Why by Jay AsherDreamland by Sarah DessenThe Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold
YA Violence & Abuse Novels
102nd out of 507 books — 729 voters

More lists with this book...

Lexie
This biography is heart wrenching.

But as a book, I feel it could have been better. Landon's stories deserved to be one of the great biographies we hear about in the NYT Best Seller lists. Instead, the entire book felt rushed and only skimmed the surface - the ending just sort of happened, I honestly felt like I had just skimmed rather than actually read it. Then the publisher slapped a generic cover on it and you have something that, I'm afraid to say, looks trashy.

I think Landon should have be
Shelley
Feb 11, 2013 Shelley rated it it was amazing
From the moment I started reading this book I couldn't put it down. Until I came to the part where Maria's two brothers were locked in their bedroom day in and day out, suffering horrific neglect. I couldn't read anymore because it was so sad. Call me crazy but I even emailed the author herself to tell her how badly that part effected me and that I couldn't continue to read her book unless I knew whether or not her brothers had survived. She replied to me right away. I should have been able to g ...more
Taylor Mortsolf
Apr 08, 2016 Taylor Mortsolf rated it really liked it
This was an okay book, I like it in the fact that she was real when she said that she still loves him as her father but also hated him for doing all of that stuff to her. It takes a lot of courage to publish a book like this and I commend her for that.
Tanny
Dec 29, 2013 Tanny rated it it was ok
Spoiler alert. I found this book very sad and it left me very empty. Although I feel a little guilty saying this, I was disappointed that Maria didn't seem to do much with her life. In the front it states that she is somehow active in helping youth but she does not raise that in the book at all. I find it sad when young women seem to think the solution to their abusive pasts is too have children to the first man they meet
so they have someone to love. When the social worker said her flat was too
Kat
Jan 09, 2013 Kat rated it liked it
A horrifying account of Maria's life, whose mother (abused and forced into prostitution by her husband, Maria's father) left the family when Maria was four, and which time her father began abusing her. Before she's ten, she's addicted to drugs, drinking and her father is sexually molesting her and preparing her to sell herself on the streets. She goes out "on the game" when she's eleven and continues into her late teens.

It's a terrible story to have to read, and the almost lackadaisical way soc
Sarah Davies
May 27, 2016 Sarah Davies rated it really liked it
Good story though, a lot of the story is secondhand or here say, also when reading the book there is no specific dates so the timelines are over the place. This is still a horrific story to read though as I couldn't imagine a child going through this
Winter Sophia Rose
Dec 08, 2014 Winter Sophia Rose rated it it was amazing
Heartbreaking, Intense, Touching & Inspiring!
Lauren Hopkins
Apr 30, 2015 Lauren Hopkins rated it liked it
I downloaded this book randomly on my Kindle app and it's definitely one of the more heartbreaking things I've read, in that the author was subjected to unspeakable and horrific abuse by her father, who prostituted her out when she was a child. That's one of many terrible things that happens to the author, who talks about her life from birth until she's in her late teens and finally manages to get her father behind bars. I kind of think of this book in the way I think of Elizabeth Smart's book i ...more
Amy
Nov 16, 2012 Amy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction, 2012
how do you rate a memoir that is so wonderfully written and which allows the author's true self to come through with every sentence, yet is so disturbing in content because of everything she went through? i rate this based on the writing, but based on content, i would give this book no more than a ZERO. what a difficult journey Maria Landon has traveled. but was an important contribution she made in writing it to share with others. great work.

do not read if you are squeamish about abuse.
Isabel
Jul 15, 2016 Isabel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3,5

Wat een wreed, wreed onmenselijk verhaal.
Jenna
Nov 19, 2009 Jenna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book tells the author's real life story of how she was forced into prostitution at a young age by her father, and how she pulled her life back together. It's an incredibly brave and inspiring story, and also tells you a lot about the state of social services back in the 1970s-1980s. I couldn't put it down from the moment I started reading it, and will be reading the follow-up book as soon as I can buy it.
Jo-bunny
Apr 13, 2015 Jo-bunny rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Social Issues, Psychology, Biography, Child Abuse
Shelves: 2015
The first memoir I’ve read on child abuse since facing my own past and I wasn’t as prepared as I expected. My hearts racing and my hands are still shaking an hour after finishing the book. Very confronting.

A first hand look into a child’s psyche when mentally, verbally and physically subjected to abused, the damaging long term ripple effects of these actions and how the failures in our juridical systems can compound an issue. Self-preservation comes in various forms and it presents itself to the
Lori Smith
Aug 06, 2010 Lori Smith rated it liked it
Sad story of what this little girl and her brother went through growing up. The story seemed repetitive at times. I thought the book would go into detail of how she escaped a life of drug and alcohol abuse and prostitution, but she wrote another book detailing that journey. I wasn't impressed with the writing, but her story is so compelling, that I've purchased her 2nd book just to see how she escaped.
Ashleigh
Jun 16, 2009 Ashleigh rated it it was amazing
This book was very sad. I had to skip through some pages because I couldn't handle them personally. It's really horrible and heartbreaking to think that someone could go through such a life...
Good read.
Shauna
Hmm, I have mixed feelings about this book. Granted it was definitely a heartbreaking story, & I can't fathom why a father would do something so horrible to their own child, however I found the book itself & writing style very bland. It wasn't overly captivating language or imagery. I know it's an autobiography of someone's really messed up life, and that can mean themes are very direct . But the wording was repetitive, I found it hard to wrap my head around the amount of times she ran b ...more
Rachel Zylstra
May 19, 2010 Rachel Zylstra rated it liked it
God, some people really suffer in this world. I count my lucky stars everytime I read a book like this. Thank god my dad was a decent and loving father.
Emma
Jun 27, 2011 Emma rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It seems wrong to say "I liked it", but it was a very gripping (and sad!) story. Not for the faint of heart.
Sade
May 27, 2012 Sade rated it liked it
It's hard to say you liked something so desperately sad, but it was a little hopeful.
Cardi
Apr 24, 2008 Cardi rated it did not like it
maybe I'll finish it, but for now I gave it to my mutt
M.J. Payne
Sep 22, 2015 M.J. Payne rated it it was amazing
BOOK REVIEW OF “DADDY’S LITTLE EARNER” BY MARIA LANDON
By MJ Payne
“Daddy’s Little Earner” by Maria Landon shows how a sadistic, narcissistic father takes over his daughter’s self-image and controls her completely. This story is an echo that wails through the life of every prostitute who ends up on the street by being manipulated and belittled with brutal treatment as a child. Abuse and neglect in childhood create a social debt that everyone ends up paying in some way. Turning a deaf ear to candid
Jun 19, 2015 Sarah rated it it was ok
note - some may find my rating and review of this book harsh but I feel that as a person giving my 2 cents worth of a review I should be truthful and critical of everything. ( I am with every other book so why should I turn soft with this book?) If you don't like it leave it in the comments and I may/not read them. Freedom of speech is a right and what a perfect place to exercise that right than on a book review site...moving on.............

As the reviews before me have stated it was heartbreak
Gemma
Sep 08, 2014 Gemma rated it liked it
A horrific, and generally blunt account of child abuse from a father to his daughter, which he then follows on to then 'sell her' on the streets as a pre-teen prostitute to fuel his drinking habits and continues mentally, physically and sexually abuse her, to the point where a bit of 'stockholm syndrome' sets in and she still feels she needs him in her life.

This book made me so angry to how social sevices responded (or rather didn't.) There were too many red flashing warning signs, such as: her
Veraa
Jan 24, 2015 Veraa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A girl who needs to prostituted herself because her dad basicly forces her to do so. But even when treated horrible she still loves him. It’s based on a true story so I decided to buy this when I saw it at this book fair.

The story itself is very dramatic and you really feel bad for the girl and her siblings. You want to know if she finally escapes her fathers rage and if she will finally have a happy and normal live. Well I’m not gonna tell you the answer obviously but the book is very good! I r
Anika
Zwaar verhaal maar op een manier gebracht waardoor ik nooit echt zwaar geëmotioneerd werd. Moest dit een film zijn, zouden de tranen over mijn wangen rollen, maar het wordt op een manier geschreven waarin het eerder verteld wordt in een soort feiten, wat er gebeurt is, aslof het haar niet overkwam, maar eerder dat ze het als een buitenstaander beleefde die naar binnen keek.
Mirjam
Feb 08, 2016 Mirjam rated it liked it
I found this book left me with the feeling that whatever one may go through in their life there is always a light, however small, at the end of the tunnel. It made me think about how lucky I am with all I have and all the wonderful people in my life. Not an uplifting book but a look into a very sad life of a little girl who somehow managed to survive.
Pam M
Jul 01, 2015 Pam M rated it really liked it
True story. By age 14 her father had her walking the streets selling herself. Her mother left her to his abuse.

What gives some children the strength to pull out of these abusive surroundings/lives?

She does - but, with what scars?
Gayle
Jan 30, 2014 Gayle rated it really liked it
This book is probably one of the hardest books to read. The abuse, neglect and treatment of such innocence was simply disturbing. I am in awe that Maria Landon was able to write her story and share her horrible experiences to the world. A very disturbing read, but definitely worth picking up.
Jeannet
Jul 22, 2014 Jeannet rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Een indrukwekkend verhaal.
Alleen de manier van schrijven stond me tegen. Soms moeilijk door te komen, en veel herhaling.
Het is niet waarschijnlijk dat ik weer een boek van Maria Landon ga lezen.
Mike-sibil Kuruvilla
Apr 26, 2014 Mike-sibil Kuruvilla rated it it was amazing
While there are no words to describe how wrong the things that happened to the author growing up. Her shining a light on the abuse some children go thru is strength lived out.
Kellie Mackrell
Feb 16, 2016 Kellie Mackrell rated it really liked it
It is always hard to rate a book of this nature highly but despite the storyline it was a really well written book that gave an insight into the feelings and thought process of such an upbringing.
  • Mummy Knew
  • Street Kid
  • Please, Daddy, No
  • Scarred
  • Deliver Me from Evil: A Sadistic Foster Mother, a Childhood Torn Apart
  • Don't Ever Tell: Kathy's Story: A True Tale of a Childhood Destroyed by Neglect and Fear
  • When Daddy Comes Home
  • Broken
  • Abandoned
  • Tell Me Why, Mummy: A Little Boy’s Struggle to Survive. A Mother’s Shameful Secret. The Power to Forgive.
  • Childhood Interrupted
  • Behind Closed Doors: A True Story of Abuse, Neglect and Survival Against the Odds
  • Punished
  • Betrayed
  • Don't You Love Your Daddy
  • Unbeaten
  • Ma, He Sold Me for a Few Cigarettes
  • Cry Silent Tears: The Heartbreaking Survival Story of a Small Mute Boy Who Overcame Unbearable Suffering and Found His Voice Again