Start by marking “The Riven Kingdom (Godspeaker Trilogy, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Riven Kingdom (Godspeaker Trilogy, #2)

The Riven Kingdom (Godspeaker Trilogy #2)

3.79  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,397 Ratings  ·  106 Reviews

The King of Ethrea is dying. His only surviving heir is the Princess Rhian. But if her enemies have their way, Ethrea will not be ruled by a woman.

Dexterity Jones is a toymaker. To protect Princess Rhian and his country, he must place his trust in an exile from Mijak. Yet, as Ethrea comes ever closer to civil war, a greater danger awaits.

Across the sea, an Empress has alr

Mass Market Paperback, 581 pages
Published December 1st 2007 by Voyager (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Riven Kingdom, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Riven Kingdom

The Way of Shadows by Brent WeeksGraceling by Kristin CashoreThe Hero of Ages by Brandon SandersonThe Painted Man by Peter V. BrettLast Argument of Kings by Joe Abercrombie
2008 DGLA Fantasy Book Nominees
34th out of 97 books — 226 voters
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. RowlingThe Golden Compass by Philip PullmanSabriel by Garth NixElla Enchanted by Gail Carson LevineGraceling by Kristin Cashore
Best Heroine in a Fantasy Book
495th out of 1,146 books — 1,553 voters

More lists with this book...

Nathan
Aug 13, 2009 Nathan rated it liked it
This book is wonderful. Especially in contrast to the first book in the series.

I'd actually go so far as to say that the first book isn't necessary at all to enjoy the series. In retrospect, the first book is a tale that could have been woven more deeply into the second book - maybe through Zandakar's nightmares, or maybe through "Hettie" inspired flashbacks.

There really was no need for the horror and unlikable characters and religion of the first book except to provide 700 or so pages of contr
Jiaka1981 Winfield
Nov 08, 2008 Jiaka1981 Winfield rated it really liked it
This second book in the godspeaker trilogy captured my attention more than the first. We have crossed the desert from Maijak to Ethrea, and met princess Rhian. Rhian's father and brithers have died leaving no heir. The advisors ofthe kingdom fight to marry Rhian to a prince of thier own choosing but she has diffrent ideas. Rhian wants to be Queen. A mysterious stranger helps her on her quest, he is Zandakar the exiled son of empress Hekat. The Empress who is coming to destroy Ethera.

I relates mo
Blodeuedd Finland
Jul 18, 2013 Blodeuedd Finland rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Book 1 was one tough cookie. I hated and feared the main character, and I was glad this one moved on to another person, cos honestly I could take no more of Hekat's crazy brutality (still one good dark book!). Book 2 is different but here something else had me all riled up. The same old thing, religion. I will explain soon enough.

Rhian is a princess in a country far far away from crazy Mijak. Her father is dying, the Church prolate is pressuring her to marry some idiot. But Rhian gets her POV st
Nikko Lee
Mar 26, 2011 Nikko Lee rated it really liked it
Why I read this book:

After hearing that the second book in the Godspeaker series left Mijak, I was a little unsure about reading it. However, I liked the first book so much that I had to read The Riven Kingdom by Karen Miller.

My one sentence summary:

Rhian must team up with a toymaker who talks to his dead wife, a grumpy physick, a reluctant man of god she despises, and a dangerous foreigner with blue hair to claim the throne that would have been hers by birthright if she weren't a woman.

Kuddos:

K
Ithlilian
Jan 12, 2011 Ithlilian rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
It's hard to separate this book from the series and write a review of it on it's own merits. Having loved Empress so much this is a huge let down, but on it's own it is a decent story. Those wanting more Hekat won't find much here, but if you read the jacket you should already know that and be expecting it. I expected another character based story, and I did get that, but the characters here are not as dynamic and interesting as the ones in Empress. Rhian tries to be strong, but doesn't really k ...more
Glitterfairy
Oct 12, 2008 Glitterfairy rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Only those wishing to restore a semblence of faith in the HarperVoyager team
Shelves: fantasy
It's in this second book that I finally understand what Miller was trying to achieve, but I'm still not convinced of her success.

The good: The repetition and gore of the eastern 'Empress of Mijak' has been replaced by a more polished, western european-esque nation much more in the line of standard fantasy. Miller is obviously more comfortable with this kind of setting as the unneccessary repetitive shoving of religious detail has been kept to a minimum, allowing us to concentrate more on what's
Emma
Sep 22, 2009 Emma rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi-fantasy
Kristen
Jul 12, 2010 Kristen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who don't mind the fantasy dynastic struggle trope
Shelves: read-2010
Elise
Jul 29, 2012 Elise rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Leaving Hekat behind for a while (with the exception of 4 "Mijak" chapters where we catch up with her), "Riven Kingdom" takes us to a European-style country embroiled in a church-vs-state standoff. Though not nearly as amazing as Hekat, "Riven Kingdom's" female lead, Rhian, is still pretty great. She's powerful, smart, and devoted -- that her entire story is devoted to who she'll marry (to lose or gain power) is annoying, but understandable given the setting, and it's dealt with in an OK enough ...more
Charlene
Mar 26, 2010 Charlene rated it liked it
The Riven Kingdom is a continuation of Empress in the Godspeaker Trilogy. I thought it lacked the depth that was in Empress. There were a lot of description that I thought I didn't need to know. I know they were traveling by a peddler's caravan with a horse and that usually takes much longer than say, using a car, but come on, it's supposed to be "book time" not "real time."

I found myself dropping this several times and coming back to it because I absolutely love Zandakar and hate his mother Hek
Wayne Wilson
Oct 12, 2009 Wayne Wilson rated it it was amazing
Much better than the first book in this trilogy. I couldn't put it down. the protagonist is worthy of my interest in fact I am not so sure the Toy Maker is the main character of the Princes whom he helps restore the kingdom and install her a queen.

It seems The River Kingdom is run by Kings and Religious leaders like in the dark ages when the Catholic church had such great power. This is a classic story of separation of church and state and the difference between a religious leader and a man of G
Christopher
Mar 15, 2015 Christopher rated it really liked it
An improvement upon the first book. Much better plot and character motivation.
Tiana Hanson
Jan 14, 2016 Tiana Hanson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
After the hard go that was the first book, I was wary of picking up the second. Though I knew the main character was also female, I feared coming to care for Rhian the way I did for Hekat, and suffering for it. Thankfully, I did read it. If I did not know Karen Miller's literary pedigree, I would have dismissed Empress as a debut novel and looked to the next for the improvement.

The Riven Kingdom delivers the improvement in spades. The primary improvements that come to mind: focusing the action o
Luminousjune
Sep 02, 2015 Luminousjune rated it liked it
TLDR: Style is different but tolerable and appreciative once you... "get it". Yes, there's racism but its the good...kind? There's a point. People are racist; get over it. Its a solid read.

So... a bit of background: I disliked this book at first. I picked up Empress on whim at a bookstore years ago and was honestly... enthralled by it. Considering how the pacing contorted at times and how lengthy it seemed. It was like a fervor akin to Hekat. (Joking...maybe) So imagine my complete and utter dis
Korey
Jan 10, 2015 Korey rated it really liked it
A very different book from its predecessor but still a very good read. Miller largely abandons the desert hellscape setting of Empress in this second volume of the Godspeaker trilogy, introducing a new cast of characters in the kingdom of Ethrea, which is a more conventional medieval Europe-esque world. In addition to Ethrea being a very different locale than Mijak, this book has a very different style and tone than Empress and a much more wholesome band of protagonists in aspiring Queen Princes ...more
Tracy
May 08, 2012 Tracy rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, my-copy
This was a much more enjoyable read than the first novel in the series. To be honest if I hadn't bought all three books at the same time I don't know if I could have continued as Hekat was such a despicable character. However this book has several characters I loved. Rhian (a princess), Dexterity Jones (a toymaker) and Zandakar (enslaved son of the aforementioned Hekat). All in all a terrific book.
Saoirse Sterling
[Quick, short review from memory before I re-read and re-review:

I remember some good snippets from these books (couldn't say which book they came from, though) and that is quite rare so it must have left an impression. Good characters, good anti-heroes, good setting and storyline. Perhaps a bit loose toward the end?]
Sally
Dec 04, 2015 Sally rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, read-2015
The first book in this series was a hard read as the main character was so unlikable, progressively so. I may not have carried on the series if I didn't already have the full set and had read that the second book was in a different country with different main characters.

I have to admire the author for her confidence in presenting the books in the order she did, but I wonder how many people are out of by the first and don't continue.

Anyway in book two we are introduced to Rhian, sat by her fathe
Liviu
Great writing, story in which almost nothing happens; very few surprises and again it's a 100 page book, stretched to 550+; I still hope that the author can use her extraordinary writing skills and have an interesting plot, not page after page of filler...
Hollie
One of a kind read, but I found myself losing interest as books continued

I purchased this series all as one book. While it began strong, it faded fast. I found myself halfway through the series with little desire to continue forward. I lost interest fast. I did, however, manage to finish this. It was long, and there was a lot of irrelevant information and details. I found it overall to be tiring, and I can't say it’s a series Id personally recommend. I enjoyed the original concept, and creativen
Becca
Jan 18, 2011 Becca rated it really liked it
I read this despite hating the first book, but I'm glad I did. I liked this one quite a bit, and how it was not as dark as most of Miller's novels. I suspect that will change in the third book, but at least I had a little bit of a respite.
Christina Allison
Sep 15, 2015 Christina Allison rated it liked it
This 2nd installment was definitely better than the first if only because the people of Ethrea are a tad more educated and less of a headache to read on the page. I suppose that should speak well for the author that she could have very different and distinct voices for two very different and distinct peoples/lands.

I just felt it was all very predictable, which is one of the reasons I gave it 3 stars instead of 4. The other reason is due to the fact the antagonist was dealt with so quickly. I was
Diancecht
Jul 29, 2008 Diancecht rated it it was amazing
I won't say too much, very good read :). It is like a different world from the first Book. There was less from my favorite charter Hekat(she cool!!) It makes a change from a happy ending.
Esther
Jun 22, 2014 Esther rated it it was ok
The author is a master in writing believable characters whom one dislikes intensely. Riann here what a @&*#@. I even like Hekat better.
Catherine
Sep 02, 2008 Catherine rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy-reads
This is written more in the style of the Kingmaker books, since the culture featured is more refined. Good second installment.
Kate
Dec 02, 2015 Kate rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
In the second book of her Godspeaker trilogy, Karen Miller moves the story across the ocean to Ethrea, a kingdom in crisis. The king is dying, and his only heir is the princess Rian, and Ethrea will not by ruled by a woman.

Miller introduces a completely new cast of characters, but continues the exquisite world building found in Empress. By the end of the novel, the reader learns that Ethrea faces a far greater threat than the succession crisis in which the kingdom has been so deeply absorbed.
Wraith Tate
It seems that I am in the small minority that liked Empress better than this one. I found it hard to "connect" with any of the characters. I thought Rhian was a bit of a spoiled brat, and how in the name of fluffy bunnies am I supposed to take seriously a character whose name is Dexterity?

I'll be honest - while she was a horrible person, I found Hekat to be a much more interesting character. Though a good many of her actions were despicable, I found that, during the course of reading Empress,
Soho_black
Feb 12, 2015 Soho_black rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed, used-to-own
I didn't particularly enjoy "Empress", the first in Karen Miller's "Godspeaker" trilogy. The characters weren't terribly likeable, the society was incredibly blood thirsty and the storyline seemed to get quite repetitive by the end. Given that trilogies tend to run along a common theme or storyline, I wasn't expecting much different from "The Riven Kingdom".

However, I suddenly understand why Karen Miller is so well thought of. "The Riven Kingdom" isn't set in the land of Mijak, but in the distan
Kylie Betzner
Mar 12, 2014 Kylie Betzner rated it really liked it
Having loved, loved, loved (and did I say loved?) Karen Miller’s novel Empress, I instantly started on the sequel upon completing the first. One month and several migraines later, I have finally (and did I say finally) completed the second novel in the Godspeaker Trilogy: The Riven Kingdom. It’s not that I didn’t like the novel . . . it was good in its own right . . . but as a follow-up to Empress, it failed to reach the bar, which was set pretty high.

The Riven Kingdom takes us out of Mijak and
David
Jan 05, 2013 David rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-have, novel, low-fantasy
After the awesomeness of book one, book two feels dull, especially considering it's very typical medieval, European, patriarchal, semi-religious setting. The plot on its own was fine - your typical girl overcomes sexist, political, and religious opposition - but with the setting and a cast of rather uninteresting characters, makes this a very safe, and thus plain, story.

The Riven Kingdom is about the struggle of power within a kingdom who has lost its king and its two male heirs. Females are vie
I think she's a metaphore for The Devil or the antichrist 3 11 May 15, 2013 11:59PM
  • Wizard Squared (Rogue Agent, #3)
  • Stormlord Rising (Watergivers, #2)
  • Dark Haven (Chronicles of the Necromancer, #3)
  • Wild Magic (Fool's Gold, #2)
  • The Uncrowned King (King Rolen's Kin, #2)
  • The Quarters Novels: Volume II (Omnibus: No Quarter / The Quartered Sea)
  • Traitors' Gate (Crossroads, #3)
  • King's Wrath (Valisar, #3)
  • Guardians of the Keep (The Bridge of D'Arnath, #2)
  • Wings of Wrath (The Magister Trilogy, #2)
  • The Cursed Towers (The Witches of Eileanan, #3)
Librarian Note: There is more than one author in the GoodReads database with this name. Please see this thread for more details.

Also writes as "K.E. Mills"

Lord, do you really want to know?

Oh, all right.

I was born in Vancouver, Canada, and came to Australia with my parents when I was 2. I think. Dad’s an Aussie, Mum’s English, go figure. Talk about Fate and Destiny. But three passports come in hand
More about Karen Miller...

Godspeaker Trilogy (3 books)
  • Empress (Godspeaker Trilogy #1)
  • Hammer of God (Godspeaker Trilogy, #3)