Start by marking “Abandoned” as Want to Read:
Abandoned

Abandoned

4.12  ·  Rating Details ·  2,131 Ratings  ·  88 Reviews
Separated from her real mother at birth, Anya grew up in terror of her drunken bullying uncle. Beaten, humiliated and sexually abused by him from the age of six, she thought her life couldn't get worse. But one day it did.

"I was used to Daddy screaming 'whore's child' at me, over and over again. But I couldn't get used to what he made me do."

Anya was too terrified to tell
Published November 5th 2007 (first published May 1st 2007)

A Child Called "It" by Dave PelzerDear Teddy by J.D. StockholmPhenomena by Susan TarrTelling Teddy by J.D. StockholmGoodbye Teddy by J.D. Stockholm
True Story Child Abuse Books
16th out of 156 books — 263 voters
A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty  SmithSomething about Maudy by Delinda McCannThe Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth SteinBook of Nikah by Yusuf Al-Hajj AhmadThe Shack by William Paul Young
Books that will inspire you
97th out of 123 books — 18 voters

More lists with this book...

Vibina Venugopal
Aug 25, 2012 Vibina Venugopal rated it it was amazing
After reading this book I kept telling myself how lucky I was to be surrounded with all love and care of family..Being pampered with the warmth of mom and dad...To read horrible tales of fiction never bothers me for a very long time as I know that may not have happened to real people, but reading a memoir like this is a stressing affair as I have a habbit of immersing myself completely into a book, I get attached to the characters very easily and a book like this gets me into a saddening ...more
Silversnow
Nov 03, 2016 Silversnow rated it really liked it
Louise
Apr 10, 2009 Louise rated it it was amazing
Shelves: memoirs
Such a heartbreaking story! Sad, disturbing, heart-wrenching but sadly, this girl's life. She is a flash of light for alot of people.

From back cover:

"I was used to Daddy screaming "whore's child" at me, over and over again. But I couldn't get used to the shame I felt afterwards.

Little Anya grew up in terror of the man she knew as 'daddy' - her drunken, bullying uncle who sexually abused her from the age of six. The only person she could trust was the woman she called 'Mummy'.

When Anya's uncle go
IceJewel
Jan 21, 2010 IceJewel rated it really liked it
I usually don’t prefer reading any non-fictions. But, the synopsis of this book just got me into reading this one!
I admit..! I almost skipped the first half of the book..!! ‘Anya peters’ was sexually abused by her uncle when she was only a child. The abuse scenes are so descriptive in this book that I just couldn’t get into reading them! Reading about what happened to her just made me cringe many a times! The second half of the book talks about her homelessness as an adult and how she tries to p
Ashleigh Sapphire
Jun 05, 2011 Ashleigh Sapphire rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed reading this book because Anya Peters wrote the story in such a way that made me want to keep reading, and I could picture what was happening in my head. She used interesting words and phrases that were interesting and worked with the plot. I like the way the scenes have been described, because it makes the reader think, “I know what’s going to happen next,” but then something changes so that the story has taken a whole new perspective. I love the way the story draws out raw emotion ...more
Lani Luatutu
Oct 20, 2011 Lani Luatutu rated it really liked it
So far, the book has dragged on a bit about how the threat of Anya being kicked out of home and how she was physically and sexually abused as a young child, has gone on a bit long. But it's a heart wrenching story and I think the way she describes the abuse is really an eye opener. My heart goes out to her, the poor thing must've been so desperate as a child, desperate to escape but desperate to be with her "mummy". Her story also makes me angry at how selfish adults can be and the choices that ...more
Angie
Aug 10, 2009 Angie rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
There are fiction books that we fall into and allow ourselves to dream are true - then there are non-fiction books that we really , really wish weren't true . Abandoned is one of those ;-(

How this child ever survived is beyond me . To overcome such ugliness and still be able to write ....
"...this isn't a book about blame . Neither , aside from the abuse , is it about anyone doing anything wrong .It's about people making mistakes and trying to make the best of the situation . It's about being hu
Rachel Zylstra
Jul 23, 2011 Rachel Zylstra rated it it was amazing
I read alot of these kinds of books. People baring all of their difficult childhoods and how they became better people.

The one thing I enjoyed about Anya's style of writing was how at the beginning of the book I felt I was reading a child's story, and by the time I came to the end I felt I was reading a woman's story. You grow with her character as the story goes on.

Selz
Feb 27, 2013 Selz added it
I don't usually read these types of books but it was in the bookcase at work... it's much like any I've read before - I don't mean that to sound callous!
Ruth Turner
Nov 20, 2014 Ruth Turner rated it did not like it
Shelves: abandoned

DNF

I read the first 21 chapters, and that was more than enough.

Boring. Repetitive. Implausible.
Patricia Naufal
Feb 20, 2013 Patricia Naufal rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: everyone
abandoned is a very touching story about a girl, anya, who has lived with her aunt since birth. her mom was having an affair with a married man and got pregnant, she ended up having to give her child to her sister to take care of,since she didn't want people to know and reputation to be ruined, her sister which just had an illegitimate baby with a drunk man she claimed to love. this man would beat her and anya and started to sexually abuse her by the age of six, eventually she told her aunt, ...more
Eva Leger
Aug 16, 2009 Eva Leger rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: mis-lit readers
Recommended to Eva by: found it on-line
Books
Jun 15, 2016 Books rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed-2016
The first half of Abandoned was…well, shocking and heartbreaking. I couldn’t believe how very cruel Anya’s uncle was being to her. And when the sexual abuse started, I had to put down the book several times to wipe away my tears. It was just too much. The last half of the story was just sad. It broke my heart that Anya would let her life slip out of control like that. I don’t agree that we should let the past impact on our future, especially since she had so many chances to live a successful ...more
Sabrina Rutter
Oct 07, 2009 Sabrina Rutter rated it really liked it
Shelves: child-abuse, i-own
It took me a little time to get into Anya's memoir but after I read so far into it I was hooked.
After reading about her horrible childhood and then her time as a homeless person I would have liked more detail as to where she ended up and exactly how she ended up there. I beleive she will be writing a sequal to this memoir due to the abrupt ending in this book.
Overall it was a very good book and definantly pulls on the heart strings.
Therese
This book is disturbing on many levels, perhaps the biggest one being that the aunt allows the abuser to move back into the home with children still living there and the author asks to move back in as well. An absolute testament to the human spirit that people can survive this amount of abuse in all its varied forms and still become productive members of society.
Carmen
Apr 17, 2010 Carmen rated it it was amazing
From this book I learned a lot how much i must appreciate life and never talk negative. How lucky i am and thank God every single day what a lovely upbringing i had.Its a must to read this book.If in any way this book ends up reading it an abuser please stop and reflect how much these kids suffer, especially if you have kids of your own!!! Nobody would like their own kids to be abused.
richwire
Nov 06, 2012 richwire rated it liked it
Really sad and awful the way this child was treated, primarily by her heinous uncle but really her entire family let her down. I found it a little difficult to keep track of all of the different people mentioned but maybe that's just me. I thought the last 1/3 of the book was a little repetitive and could have been edited a bit. Still an interesting read and one that I would recommend.
Tyler
this book is very touching it shows all the hurt and heartake that anya peters went through as a child. she gets abused by the uncle she thought loved her and a boyfriend she thought cared for her . she luckly got away from that lifesyle and now lives in a flat in blakcpool happily . this book showed me that i should be grateful for what i have
Kim
Oct 07, 2010 Kim rated it liked it
Shelves: biography, 2010
An absolutely horrific tale about a little girl's life of abuse. Her aunt takes her in when her 'real' mum has her out of wedlock. But her partner subjects the little girl to horrific mental and physical abuse. He is arrested- but the mum takes him back.

A truly disturbing account of Anya's life- and her spell of homeless living around the country.
Kim
Jan 20, 2008 Kim rated it liked it
The first half of the book was very hard to read, it made me feel sick in what some adults make children go through. By the end of the book i was pleased Anya was finally sorting her life out. I plan to visit her blog to see how she's getting on.
Don Ariff
Jun 23, 2011 Don Ariff rated it liked it
It is a very depressing book - in a good way of course. Loved it although to me it doesn't give much of an impact to me. Although I have to to say that it was very well written but I just don't feel satisfied with the ending.
Jirinka (sony08)
Jan 22, 2011 Jirinka (sony08) rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2011
8/10 - excellent book. I found that sometimes it slowed down a lot and repeated a lot of things, but can you actually critise misery memoir??? Anyway - inspiring story of a gilr abused by her uncle,not having any 'real'family, ending up homless and unloved and still making it!
Trupti Dorge
Jul 04, 2009 Trupti Dorge rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-own, non-fiction
This book is about sexual abuse. And seriously, the abuse scenes are so descriptive and detailed that I felt myself cringe a number of times. Her story is very heartbreaking. Anya Peters is a really good writer though. I hope she tries her hand at writing fiction sometime.
Chelsea Groves
Aug 23, 2012 Chelsea Groves rated it liked it
Shelves: tear-jerkers
It was a okay book very disturbing though. I thought it dragged out the part of her sleeping in the car and dragged it out way to long. It got pretty shitty towards the end of the book . It wasn't the greatest . I dont think it would be a book i would pick up and read again .
Kelly Tarr
I liked this book even though it was hard to read. The author had quite a life, very sad. I hope that she is doing well and it is unbelievable that people treat children this way. I only hope I am a resource for children who need help and need someone to listen to them.
Doris
Mar 17, 2010 Doris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
many things can happen to you the unthinkable even but you can overcome it and expect something better just like in her case
Jessica
Dec 05, 2012 Jessica rated it really liked it
After reading this book I realized how lucky I was to have a family that loved and cared for me. But to read about someone who fought so hard in life became an inspiration not to give up.
Ana Rendas
Jul 24, 2012 Ana Rendas rated it really liked it
É um livro muito forte pela história dramática que conta mas também dá muita esperança pelo seu desfecho!
Marie
Mar 30, 2012 Marie rated it it was amazing
This is too sad one of the sadest books i have read it makes me feel empothy and sadness for the abandoned ones i can feel putting my life in hers
Ross
Jul 26, 2012 Ross rated it really liked it

This is an amazing book and I was drawn to it due to another one I had read about the same childhood and struggles. This is a book that made me happy, sad, cry and kept me up all night.
  • Mummy Knew
  • Broken
  • Daddy's Little Earner
  • Deliver Me from Evil: A Sadistic Foster Mother, a Childhood Torn Apart
  • Cry Silent Tears: The Heartbreaking Survival Story of a Small Mute Boy Who Overcame Unbearable Suffering and Found His Voice Again
  • Scarred
  • Don't Ever Tell: Kathy's Story: A True Tale of a Childhood Destroyed by Neglect and Fear
  • Please, Daddy, No
  • Behind Closed Doors: A True Story of Abuse, Neglect and Survival Against the Odds
  • Street Kid
  • Don't Tell Mummy: A True Story of the Ultimate Betrayal
  • The Little Prisoner
  • Childhood Interrupted
  • Tell Me Why, Mummy: A Little Boy’s Struggle to Survive. A Mother’s Shameful Secret. The Power to Forgive.
  • Betrayed
  • Cut: The True Story of an Abandoned, Abused Little Girl Who Was Desperate to Be Part of a Family
  • Don't You Love Your Daddy
  • Punished

“Wherever there's bad, there's always good nearby. That's nature's way.” 0 likes
“I liked it because it was a place where people came and went, a place where I could be anonymous while I continued to "wait" - although I had almost forgotten what I was waiting for.” 0 likes