Start by marking “The Excruciating History of Dentistry: Toothsome Tales & Oral Oddities from Babylon to Braces” as Want to Read:

3.60  ·  Rating Details  ·  52 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
For those on both sides of the dreaded dentist's chair, James Wynbrandt has written a witty, colorful, and richly informative history of the art and science of dentistry. To all of those dental patients whose whine rises in tandem with that of the drill, take note: You would do well to stifle your terror and instead offer thanks to Apollonia, the patron saint of toothache ...more
Published August 17th 2000 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published January 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about The Excruciating History of Dentistry, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Excruciating History of Dentistry

Emily
Aug 19, 2013 Emily rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
My oral surgery is finally all done. After six months, a dozen appointments (some stretching as long as six hours), significant (but appropriate) use of painkillers, and more money than I like to think about, I have a brand new smile. With teeth that stay in my mouth and do what teeth are supposed to do. Hallelujah!

I will admit to more than a little trepidation before and during this long process. Because of the car accident 22 years ago that started this whole mess, I've become fairly familiar
Connie Tinoco
It wasn't as interesting as, "Blood & Guts: A History of Surgery" by Richard Hollingham. Hollingham knows more on how to entertain his reader. He knows how to transition between case studies while guiding the reader enough to understand his overall point. Wynbrandt is more concerned with only informing his readers of what he knows. Still, the cases studies are excruciating enough to send a vibe to the reader. It's hard to make dentistry or surgery boring.
Sartan
Jan 24, 2015 Sartan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was more entertaining then I thought it would be.
Tfalcone
Dentophobia...
Punkie
Sep 18, 2014 Punkie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This was excruciating to read.
Sara
I had fun with this book. Everyone who saw me reading it said - How can you read that!! It freaked them out. I like to know the history of things, dentistry being one of them. I really wanted to know when the first root canal was done. I wanted to know when they finally started giving people anesthesia. I just wanted to know everything.
Simon
Oct 04, 2012 Simon rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This was a book club read, chosen by the dentist in the group. I felt it was just fact after fact and had no compelling story. I also wanted more about modern dentistry.
Jeremy
Oct 23, 2008 Jeremy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
My wife says this is a good book I need to read. And I always read what my wife tells me to or else she hits me.
Leila
Oct 11, 2007 Leila rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After reading this book, I felt so much better about going to the dentist!
Dr. Sherri Worth
Dr. Sherri Worth found this book to be uninteresting and repetitive.
Dr Jay Ajmo DDS
Mar 24, 2011 Dr Jay Ajmo DDS rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
PGA Center For Advanced Dentistry looks forward to reading this book.
Mary Ann
Mary Ann marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2016
Sergio
Sergio is currently reading it
Jul 12, 2016
Hussain
Hussain is currently reading it
Jul 12, 2016
Jeremy Glick
Jeremy Glick marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2016
Sarah marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2016
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2016
Lisa Mannetti
Lisa Mannetti rated it liked it
Jun 13, 2016
Emily
Emily rated it really liked it
Jun 07, 2016
Marnie
Marnie rated it liked it
Jun 01, 2016
Emma Lee
Emma Lee rated it really liked it
Jun 15, 2016
Nur Simsek
Nur Simsek marked it as to-read
May 01, 2016
Zebiba
Zebiba marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2016
Matias Mäkelä
Matias Mäkelä marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2016
Shbkshy
Shbkshy marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2016
Dana Papritz
Dana Papritz is currently reading it
Mar 25, 2016
Chelsie
Chelsie marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2016
Macar Sison
Macar Sison marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2016
Carol Duke
Carol Duke marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2016