Start by marking “Gravity's Angels” as Want to Read:
Gravity's Angels

Gravity's Angels

3.96  ·  Rating Details  ·  78 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
Aliens who absorb the memories of those they've slain, magicians slugging it out in present-day Philadelphia, and Janis Joplin reborn as an obsessed-over saint in a barbarous post-technological U.S: these are a few of the motifs from one of science fiction's modern masters.

Contents:
A Midwinter's Tale (1988)
The Feast of Saint Janis (1980)
The Blind Minotaur (1985)
The Transmi
Published March 30th 2001 by Frog Books (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Gravity's Angels, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gravity's Angels

Stephen
4.0 to 4.5 stars. I have not read all of the stories in this collection so this review is only for the storyies set forth below. I will update my rating and my review as I read further stories.

The Feast of Saint Janis (4.0 to 4.5 stars): Powerful novelette about an African diplomat visiting a post "Collapse" United States and becoming a part of a unique "tour" involving a Janis Joplin impersonator. A great ending and a powerful story.

Nominee: Nebula Award for Best Novelette.

"The Edge of the Wo
Randolph Carter
Another excellent Arkham House collection issued under Jim Turner's tenure there. Michael Swanwick is nominally a scifi author, but these stories each have only enough science fiction as they need to express the author's ideas. As such, some of the stories are heavy into scifi and a few have none at all, with the majority having just a little bordering more on fantasy at times.

I think the standout story is one of the slighter ones: Foresight. The tale involves a man in a universe where memory h
Chase Kimball
Apr 20, 2008 Chase Kimball rated it it was amazing
I am nearing the end of this collection of short stories. Although Swanwick is nominally considered a Science Fiction author and is widely published in science fiction magazines, I would consider this collection to be solidly in the "fantasy" camp. But no matter, it is all wonderful stuff. He creates truly original themes and worlds, and this is warmly recommended for anyone who enjoys what might be more accurately described as "speculative fiction." A particularly strong story is "The Man Who M ...more
Michael
Oct 13, 2015 Michael rated it really liked it
Brilliant collection! All were worthy of serious appreciation. Swanwicks novel Vacuum Flowers has been a long time favorite of mine that gets reread frequently, each time with a larger understanding of the world he has created. I was thrilled to find a story in here, Trojan Horse, which seems to be set in the same world.
The overall tone of all these stories is really quite grim and existential; the consistent themes are of the nature of reality.
Printable Tire
Dec 06, 2008 Printable Tire added it
Recommends it for: good sci-fi fans
There was some good stuff in here- I remember particularly liking the main story, the feast of st. janis, and the one about mummers. Some stories were complete BEM scifi crap though. A mixed bag, but I think the st. janis story is worth reading.
Patrick
Read around 1996.

10/13/11: "Trojan Horse" (re-read)
11/3/11: "Snow Angels" (re-read)
11/5/11: "Ginungagap" (re-read)
Choirsoftheeye
Choirsoftheeye marked it as to-read
May 03, 2016
Lauren
Lauren marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2016
Bill Reynolds
Bill Reynolds rated it really liked it
Mar 29, 2016
Hilary
Hilary rated it it was amazing
Mar 06, 2016
Greg
Greg marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2016
Hessalasse
Hessalasse marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2016
Tommi Mannila
Tommi Mannila marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2016
Brandon
Brandon marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2016
Asher Green
Asher Green rated it it was amazing
Dec 28, 2015
Jeff
Jeff marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2015
Andi
Andi marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2015
AJS
AJS marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2015
David Roy
David Roy rated it really liked it
Nov 18, 2015
Simeon Berry
Simeon Berry is currently reading it
Nov 15, 2015
Trish
Trish marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2015
Chaoticserenity
Chaoticserenity marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2015
LD
LD rated it liked it
Oct 08, 2015
Jeffrey
Jeffrey rated it really liked it
Oct 05, 2015
Joshua
Joshua rated it really liked it
Sep 03, 2015
Elque Detras deti
Elque Detras deti marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2015
Alex F.
Alex F. rated it it was amazing
Jul 06, 2015
Olivia Johnson
Olivia Johnson marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2015
William
William rated it really liked it
Apr 18, 2015
Craig
Craig rated it really liked it
Mar 15, 2015