Start by marking “The Neatest Little Guide to Stock Market Investing” as Want to Read:
The Neatest Little Guide to Stock Market Investing

The Neatest Little Guide to Stock Market Investing

3.93  ·  Rating Details  ·  895 Ratings  ·  55 Reviews
A comprehensively updated edition of an essential guide to stock market investing

For over a decade, Jason Kelly has provided investors with the insider knowledge and time-tested strategies they need to maximize their investment programs. This thoroughly updated edition of The Neatest Little Guide to Stock Market Investing includes:
• Kelly’s Maximum Midcap Strategy, an in
Published December 18th 2007 by Plume (first published January 1st 1998)

Be the first to ask a question about The Neatest Little Guide to Stock Market Investing

Jen
Jan 23, 2008 Jen rated it liked it
Recommends it for: New Investors
Shelves: educational
I don't enjoy financial stuff, and consider investing one of those required adult activities right up there with laundry and taxes. That said, this is a great book. The length isn't overly intimidating, and the author offers clear, fairly easy-to-understand summations and explanations without being patronizing. In fact, I'm sure that one of these days I'll even get around to finishing it. :)
Peter
Jun 21, 2008 Peter rated it it was amazing
This book is a great intro to both fundamental and technical investing. It teaches you the various calculations needed to determine different buy/sell triggers.

This book also gives a nice high level overview of the various masters of investing different styles.
Wayne
Nov 16, 2009 Wayne rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book was concise and a very quick read, but because of that I have to disagree with the title and premise of the book. It was more of a summary booklet for the buy-and-hold investor. It raised a lot of questions that it didn't answer.

It's hard to write a book that is useful as a quick reference, but also covers enough details for the beginner and I don't feel that this book covered it. the author does go into detail about finding a broker and research source etc. but I think it would have
Joseph Moskie
I put this book down for a long while after getting about 60% through it. I wish I hadn't.

I thought I got pretty much everything I was going to out of the middle chapters. I'm fairly risk adverse, and the author went into several investing strategies that seemed right up my alley. Looking them over, I was able to come up with a few ideas on what I wanted to do, and act on it.

I got an email from Goodreads and remembered "oh hey I was reading that book" so I finished it off. The last chapter (igno
James Lind
I Believe Jason Kelly did a wonderful job skimming the top of how the stock market functions and the debs and flows of the market. However I saw a need for a more in depth emphasis of expanding you investment horizon. Jason focused mainly on growth and value stock options with little coverage on bond and other debt equity investment opportunities. There was little to no coverage on hedging; and very minimal exposure to his own personal experience witch suggests one could have attained this info ...more
Graham Velasco
Mar 02, 2016 Graham Velasco rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In a word, The Neatest Little Guide to Stock Market Investing is EXCELLENT. It is exactly what I have been looking for. The Dave Ramsey books are great, but this book by Jason Kelly specifically deals with the stock market itself. In it, he covers everything a person would ever need to know to begin investing in stocks. In addition to defining crucial terms, he also offers proven strategies to help ensure success. Kelly is an expert researcher who points out similarities and differences in the a ...more
Doug
May 14, 2011 Doug rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In this Little Guide Jason Kelly provides a crash course on investment principles through book-report summaries of classic works such as Benjamin Graham's "Intelligent Investor" and explaining in plain English (and within a few hundred pages) the philosophies of such investment gurus as Warren Buffet and Peter Lynch.

Kelly unfortunately seemed a little obsessed with basing his strategies on historical analysis, ostensibly ignoring the infamous dictum that past performance does not guarantee futur
James Miller
This is a great place to start for those wanting to learn about equity investments.

Because I have already been investing for a few years, I found much of the book to be elementary. However, this book is designed for beginners, and I still learned a good deal.

The book will teach you basic terms, strategies, and how to get started in investing. It also reviews the strategies of many great investors such as Buffet.

The problem with this book is that the author writes nearly all of it as fact. But a
James Miller
Dec 29, 2009 James Miller rated it liked it
This book is a cross between the author’s explanation of the investment world and him telling you how to invest – the latter being quite elementary. Kelly does an excellent job summarizing the methods of famous investors, but it may be better to get the information from more focused books. Overall, there are some good tips, but this is really a beginner’s book. However, I fear Kelly is to direct in trying to force people to do things a certain ways. He tells his readers how to invest, rather tha ...more
Jennilyn
May 15, 2016 Jennilyn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: finance
I recommend this to people who have zero or little knowledge in stock market investing. First, it explains the terminologies and concepts related to stock market. Then the author presented the methodologies used by those people who made it big on the business. He showed what he thinks are the traits that we can pick up from them that can serve as guide when we invest in the market. He also showed good measures that we can use to know if a stock is a good buy.
Jason Kroeker
Oct 02, 2013 Jason Kroeker rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent introduction to stock investing. The book covers the basics, such as setting up a brokerage account, making buy and sell orders, researching companies, and explanations of stock market terms and abbreviations. It also describes popular investing strategies, including the strategies of some of the most successful investors. The writing is accessible and does not get too bogged down in financial lingo.
Pratik Holla
Jan 10, 2016 Pratik Holla rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really good book if you are a complete newbie into investing. Jason Kelly breaks down the fundamentals of different investing strategies and shows new comers what different terminologies mean and which ones matter to the average investor. If you are looking to start investing in stocks but have no idea where to begin or what things in the stock market mean, this books is the place to start.
Daniel
Feb 23, 2013 Daniel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
good practical tips for the beginner investor, I really enjoyed the section talking about how the experts (buffett, lynch etc.) offered their tips and how different it could be and still be successful. On the negative side, I feel it is a little too simplistic and gives the impression that following these rules will ensure success in the market. Nonetheless a very useful book.
Amanda
Sep 20, 2007 Amanda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This guide is a great reference if you are interested in learning about and investing in the stock market. He explains what the market is all about and gives great advice. There is so much good information (more than I can remember for any length of time) in this book that I plan on purchasing it as soon as I am ready to invest (i.e. as soon as I am out of credit card debt.)
Sherwin Tan
May 01, 2014 Sherwin Tan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
pretty good introduction book on stock market investing. simple format. book is good because of how it gives an overview on the styles of the famous masters such as warren buffet, benjamin graham, peter lynch, william o'neil, etc. the book also provides good info in using fundamental analysis in choosing good companies to invest in.
Joey Brooks
Oct 04, 2008 Joey Brooks rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Probably the best book I have read on an introduction to investing. Very simple and to the point. I didn't really care for his person investing strategy, especially in this market. But the way he introduces you to the stock market, makes something that is overwhelming easy to understand. Read it. That's the best $10.00 you'll spend.
Damon
Jun 26, 2013 Damon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very neat book for the beginner stock or fund investor. What Kelly does here to explain the processes and components of the stock market (and in English, not Finance!) brings the average consumer into the world of investing. After reading this book I am now far more knowledgable and confident about my successes in the stock market.
Barrie
Dec 17, 2008 Barrie rated it really liked it
Ok, I'm a total money nerd. I actually dug this book enough that I'm going to buy it. Lots of great tips and charts. And I like charts. He makes building a portfolio "easy". I put that in quotes because it really isn't all that easy. It takes time and research, but he gives you the tools to make it all less stressful.

Frank Huang
Sep 23, 2012 Frank Huang rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Basic introduction to stock market investing. Layman terms and rudimentary concepts to help those who are who are intimidated by the stock market overcome their apprehensions. Definitely not comprehensive text, but a good first step. The author also hails from my hometown, Arcadia :).
David
Nov 16, 2008 David rated it really liked it
I think this is a great book for an introduction to investing. I feel like it was a bit under my level, but was a quick read and permitted me to get reoriented with different market strategies. I will definitely follow up on a bunch of the principles outlined in the book.
Chuck
Mar 01, 2009 Chuck rated it it was amazing
Clear and concise. A great book for beginners and pros alike. It isn't overwhelming and pretentious.
Clearly and repeatedly explains important concepts and definitions and explains multiple stock investing scenarios and perspectives.
Covers the basics and much more.
Gururaj
Feb 14, 2009 Gururaj rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very good read for somebody to learn about stock market and investing. This is information on stock market basics, investing strategy of people like Buffet, Benjamin, etc... which is simplified, easy to understand and interesting.
It is written well and its easy to read.
Kenimanev
Nov 30, 2014 Kenimanev rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
a nice write-up for people without prior knowledge. I like the entertaining and honest style. After reading it, I can confirm what I've known for a long time. All financial experts do as well as a random generators to predict the future.
Dana
Jun 01, 2013 Dana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Probably on of the best stocks books, short but covers everything and gives you the tools to continue independent research. I hesitate to make and finished because this is one of those books you pull down all the time for reference.
Noah Salpeter
Apr 01, 2016 Noah Salpeter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
great intro to the stock market. Useful information for someone who already knows the basics but wants to learn a little more.
Joanvanrijn
Great summaries of basic theory of investing. You either like risk or you don't! Reading about professional investors and their insights are very helpful.
Good to find out what kind of investor you are!
Alfie Dawson
Nov 01, 2015 Alfie Dawson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great beginners book that covers everything required to start-up in stock trading. Taking the best advice from experts across the trading world and collating them in an easy-to-understand text.
Belden Schroeder
Jan 22, 2012 Belden Schroeder rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The author gets a bit too particular on the best way of picking out stocks but I love how he covers all the major indexes and ratios used in valuing a stock and gives comments from the pro investors.
Ender
Apr 23, 2011 Ender rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So far it's the best (only) Stock Market book I have read, so it gets 5 stars for now. I really thought it was easy to understand and exactly what I was looking for.
Kurt
Jun 11, 2012 Kurt marked it as to-read
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
  • The Five Rules for Successful Stock Investing: Morningstar's Guide to Building Wealth and Winning in the Market
  • The Little Book of Common Sense Investing: The Only Way to Guarantee Your Fair Share of Stock Market Returns
  • The Future for Investors: Why the Tried and the True Triumph Over the Bold and the New
  • How to Invest $50-$5,000: The Small Investor's Step-By-Step Plan for Low-Risk, High-Value Investing
  • The Winning Investment Habits of Warren Buffett & George Soros
  • Giovanni Civardi's Complete Guide to Drawing
  • Warren Buffett and the Interpretation of Financial Statements: The Search for the Company with a Durable Competitive Advantage
  • How to Make Money in Stocks: A Winning System in Good Times or Bad
  • The Interpretation of Financial Statements: The Classic 1937 Edition
  • You Can Be a Stock Market Genius: Uncover the Secret Hiding Places of Stock Market Profits
  • Technical Analysis of Stock Trends
  • The Bogleheads' Guide to Investing
  • The Secrets of Economic Indicators: Hidden Clues to Future Economic Trends and Investment Opportunities
  • 96 Great Interview Questions to Ask Before You Hire
  • Creating Lifelike Figures in Polymer Clay: Tools and Techniques for Sculpting Realistic Figures
  • The Four Pillars of Investing: Lessons for Building a Winning Portfolio
  • One Up On Wall Street: How To Use What You Already Know To Make Money In The Market
  • Stop Staring: Facial Modeling and Animation Done Right

“Be fearful when others are greedy, and be greedy when others are fearful.” 0 likes