Start by marking “The Neatest Little Guide to Stock Market Investing” as Want to Read:
The Neatest Little Guide to Stock Market Investing

The Neatest Little Guide to Stock Market Investing

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  385 ratings  ·  33 reviews
A comprehensively updated edition of an essential guide to stock market investing

For over a decade, Jason Kelly has provided investors with the insider knowledge and time-tested strategies they need to maximize their investment programs. This thoroughly updated edition of The Neatest Little Guide to Stock Market Investing includes:
• Kelly’s Maximum Midcap Strategy, an in
Published December 18th 2007 by Plume (first published January 1st 1998)

Be the first to ask a question about The Neatest Little Guide to Stock Market Investing

Jen
Jan 23, 2008 Jen rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: New Investors
Shelves: educational
I don't enjoy financial stuff, and consider investing one of those required adult activities right up there with laundry and taxes. That said, this is a great book. The length isn't overly intimidating, and the author offers clear, fairly easy-to-understand summations and explanations without being patronizing. In fact, I'm sure that one of these days I'll even get around to finishing it. :)
Peter
This book is a great intro to both fundamental and technical investing. It teaches you the various calculations needed to determine different buy/sell triggers.

This book also gives a nice high level overview of the various masters of investing different styles.
Wayne
This book was concise and a very quick read, but because of that I have to disagree with the title and premise of the book. It was more of a summary booklet for the buy-and-hold investor. It raised a lot of questions that it didn't answer.

It's hard to write a book that is useful as a quick reference, but also covers enough details for the beginner and I don't feel that this book covered it. the author does go into detail about finding a broker and research source etc. but I think it would have
Joseph Moskie
I put this book down for a long while after getting about 60% through it. I wish I hadn't.

I thought I got pretty much everything I was going to out of the middle chapters. I'm fairly risk adverse, and the author went into several investing strategies that seemed right up my alley. Looking them over, I was able to come up with a few ideas on what I wanted to do, and act on it.

I got an email from Goodreads and remembered "oh hey I was reading that book" so I finished it off. The last chapter (igno
Doug
In this Little Guide Jason Kelly provides a crash course on investment principles through book-report summaries of classic works such as Benjamin Graham's "Intelligent Investor" and explaining in plain English (and within a few hundred pages) the philosophies of such investment gurus as Warren Buffet and Peter Lynch.

Kelly unfortunately seemed a little obsessed with basing his strategies on historical analysis, ostensibly ignoring the infamous dictum that past performance does not guarantee futur
James Miller
This is a great place to start for those wanting to learn about equity investments.

Because I have already been investing for a few years, I found much of the book to be elementary. However, this book is designed for beginners, and I still learned a good deal.

The book will teach you basic terms, strategies, and how to get started in investing. It also reviews the strategies of many great investors such as Buffet.

The problem with this book is that the author writes nearly all of it as fact. But a
James Miller
This book is a cross between the author’s explanation of the investment world and him telling you how to invest – the latter being quite elementary. Kelly does an excellent job summarizing the methods of famous investors, but it may be better to get the information from more focused books. Overall, there are some good tips, but this is really a beginner’s book. However, I fear Kelly is to direct in trying to force people to do things a certain ways. He tells his readers how to invest, rather tha ...more
Amanda
This guide is a great reference if you are interested in learning about and investing in the stock market. He explains what the market is all about and gives great advice. There is so much good information (more than I can remember for any length of time) in this book that I plan on purchasing it as soon as I am ready to invest (i.e. as soon as I am out of credit card debt.)
Joey Brooks
Probably the best book I have read on an introduction to investing. Very simple and to the point. I didn't really care for his person investing strategy, especially in this market. But the way he introduces you to the stock market, makes something that is overwhelming easy to understand. Read it. That's the best $10.00 you'll spend.
Barrie
Ok, I'm a total money nerd. I actually dug this book enough that I'm going to buy it. Lots of great tips and charts. And I like charts. He makes building a portfolio "easy". I put that in quotes because it really isn't all that easy. It takes time and research, but he gives you the tools to make it all less stressful.

Frank Huang
Basic introduction to stock market investing. Layman terms and rudimentary concepts to help those who are who are intimidated by the stock market overcome their apprehensions. Definitely not comprehensive text, but a good first step. The author also hails from my hometown, Arcadia :).
David
I think this is a great book for an introduction to investing. I feel like it was a bit under my level, but was a quick read and permitted me to get reoriented with different market strategies. I will definitely follow up on a bunch of the principles outlined in the book.
Chuck
Clear and concise. A great book for beginners and pros alike. It isn't overwhelming and pretentious.
Clearly and repeatedly explains important concepts and definitions and explains multiple stock investing scenarios and perspectives.
Covers the basics and much more.
Gururaj
A very good read for somebody to learn about stock market and investing. This is information on stock market basics, investing strategy of people like Buffet, Benjamin, etc... which is simplified, easy to understand and interesting.
It is written well and its easy to read.
Dana
Probably on of the best stocks books, short but covers everything and gives you the tools to continue independent research. I hesitate to make and finished because this is one of those books you pull down all the time for reference.
Bimal Patel
Concise and brief explanation to stock market investing. Must read for someone looking to start investing in stocks.
Joanvanrijn
Great summaries of basic theory of investing. You either like risk or you don't! Reading about professional investors and their insights are very helpful.
Good to find out what kind of investor you are!
Belden Schroeder
The author gets a bit too particular on the best way of picking out stocks but I love how he covers all the major indexes and ratios used in valuing a stock and gives comments from the pro investors.
Ender
So far it's the best (only) Stock Market book I have read, so it gets 5 stars for now. I really thought it was easy to understand and exactly what I was looking for.
Kurt
Jun 11, 2012 Kurt marked it as to-read
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Nikole
Mar 20, 2009 Nikole is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
So good for people who are not in finance and deal with this type of info daily. Breaks it down into quick and understandable!
Michael
Good overview of investing. Some solid long term strategies/techniques. Plenty of detail in different stock analysis methods.
Dzung Vuong
Good read especially on leverage ETFs and simple technical analysis.

The chapter on investing resource is very comprehensive.
Mohd Ashraf
Neat in the writer's own method. But I will credit this book for providing me a framework to do my own research.
Seifpmsn.com
Interesting perspectives on invetment strategies. Some of it laughable in today's market; some of it valid.
Becky
Not bad, not great. It's a nice intro for someone new to a lot of these concepts.
Liz
It has some nice summaries and it was really easy for a beginner to understand.
Poorj
Not any different from the many other stock market books you can get.
Comaskeyk001
Jul 04, 2009 Comaskeyk001 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
bought this for my daughter but am learning a thing or two
Cambra
Dec 29, 2007 Cambra marked it as to-read
2008 = year of financial freedom.
  • The Five Rules for Successful Stock Investing: Morningstar's Guide to Building Wealth and Winning in the Market
  • The Little Book of Common Sense Investing: The Only Way to Guarantee Your Fair Share of Stock Market Returns
  • The Future for Investors: Why the Tried and the True Triumph Over the Bold and the New
  • How to Make Money in Stocks: A Winning System in Good Times or Bad
  • Jim Cramer's Getting Back to Even
  • How to Invest $50-$5,000: The Small Investor's Step-By-Step Plan for Low-Risk, High-Value Investing
  • The Four Pillars of Investing: Lessons for Building a Winning Portfolio
  • The Bogleheads' Guide to Investing
  • Stock Investing for Dummies
  • The Interpretation of Financial Statements: The Classic 1937 Edition
  • One Up On Wall Street: How To Use What You Already Know To Make Money In The Market
  • The Motley Fool Investment Guide: How The Fool Beats Wall Street's Wise Men And How You Can Too
  • Pit Bull: Lessons from Wall Street's Champion Day Trader
  • Technical Analysis for Dummies
  • Raising Venture Capital for the Serious Entrepreneur
  • Market Wizards
  • Quality of Earnings
  • What I Learned Losing a Million Dollars
The Neatest Little Guide to Stock Market Investing: Fifth Edition The New Tycoons: Inside the Trillion Dollar Private Equity Industry That Owns Everything (Bloomberg) Financially Stupid People Are Everywhere: Don't Be One Of Them Stock Market Contest Shelby's Folly: Jack Dempsey, Doc Kearns, and the Shakedown of a Montana Boomtown