Mortimer

Mortimer

4.1 of 5 stars 4.10  ·  rating details  ·  1,433 ratings  ·  75 reviews
It's Mortimer's bedtime, but he would much rather sing his rowdy song. Mom, Dad and even the police can't get him to quiet down, until they become so distracted by each otherthat Mortimer drifts off to sleep.

About the Classic Munsch series: Robert Munsch's award-winning books have become a staple on the bookshelves of families worldwide. His stories reflect the joys and ch...more
Published February 1st 1985 by Annick Press (first published January 1st 1983)

Connie
Mortimer must be a daily chatterbox, because all his mom says when she puts him to bed (throws him in bed in the book, I don't like that part so I edit it to be a little less antagonistic) is BE QUIET.

Well, I know little ones, and you know little ones, and we all know little ones, and Mortimer says yes but immediately does what he shouldn't. He sings. Loudly. He's gonna make his noise all day long.

So his whole family, and ultimately the cops troop up to tell him to be quiet, and while they fight...more
Teddie Trombley
This was one of my all time favorite books when I was little and I would always ask my dad if he could read this book to me almost every night. This book is about a little boy who is told by his mom that it is time for bed but Mortimer is not tired at all and he wants to stay up instead of go to bed. Right before his mom shuts the door and says goodnight she looks at Mortimer and says be quiet Mortimer. When Mortimer knows that his mom is downstairs he starts singing this song but when his mom h...more
Jean Oram
This has got to be my favourite kids story of all time. My mom bought me the record when I was a girl and I've been a loyal Munsch fan ever since. Mortimer is any and every kid you've ever known. Clang, clang rattle bing bang. Gonna make my noise all day!
Brenda
We use this book to make a reader's theater mini-musical at school with my 2nd graders.
Mr. J Robson
Shantelle
This is the story of a boy named Mortimer who does not want to go to bed. When he is put to bed he is told, “Mortimer, be quiet!”, however, Mortimer decides to sing at the top of his lungs and disrupt everybody in the house. This story gives the impression that it was written from the point of view of a parent who was driven crazy by the noise from their young son.

I was very pleased with this book. This book has many factors that would appeal to both adults and children. It is fun for the child...more
Madison
Mortimer is a young boy who’s mother told him to be quiet when he is in bed. Mortimer makes noise, and his father comes up the stairs and tells him to be quiet. He makes noise again. All 17 of his brothers and sisters come upstairs and yell at him for making noise. So, they called the police. They also tell him to be quiet. Nobody knew what to do. Since nobody came up the stairs, Mortimer fell asleep.

This book can be used at home with parents to get children to go to bed. It could be used in th...more
Evette
Mortimer by Robert N. Munsch. This story is about Mortimer he is a young boy who’s mother told him to be quiet when he is in bed. Mortimer does not listen and continues to makes noise, and his father comes up the stairs to tell him to be quiet. He makes noise again. Then all 17 of his brothers and sisters come upstairs and yell at him for making noise. So, since he did not listen they called the police. They also tell him to be quiet. Nobody knew what to do. Since nobody came up the stairs, Mort...more
Nealam
Copyright date: Feb 1, 1985
-Mortimer stays up all night singing! Annoys his family & the cops.
-Students love predictable text. Can follow along.
-Can use as an introduction to sound effects in stories (thump thump thump..)
-Sing along verses.
Leah
As a child, I had this book with an accompanying cassette tape. I would listen and read along again and again, saying "clang clang rattle bing bang, gonna make my noise all day!"

This is such a fun book for story time. Parents can read together with their children and eventually children will have the fun parts memorized and can learn to read along with the other parts. It's a great book for learning.

Robert Munsch is hero, because he made learning and reading fun for kids.
Nathan Willard
This book has a loud refrain that can easily be sung by two and three-year-olds, and is loud and exciting for the younger set. A great family book. My one year-old loves it and excitedly cheers.
Cari Brazie
I remember in kindergarten my teacher reading this book....to this day at 21 now I still remember Mortimer Mortimer Mortimer....that's how much I liked this book.
Cara
I think I expected this to be funnier because it was on a list of funny picture books. It was just ok. I didn't laugh though. Sigh.
David
Mortimer by Robert N. Munsch, illustrated by Michael Martchenko, is another Munsch book about a child who won't do what his parent asks, in this case to be quiet and go to sleep. The parents, his brothers & sisters, and eventually the cops, ask him to be quiet.

"Clang Clang Rattle Bing Bang, Gonna make my noise all day!" is a classic song and funny to read aloud. The ending is not too surprising, but overall this is another funny picturebook by the talented duo.

For ages 4 to 7, funny storie...more
Christine
This book is a must have for every Early Childhood Educator out there. It is a all time favourite with the kindergarten crowd. On rainy days and Fridays I would bring this book out along with a bucket full of instruments and the children would scream with excitement in anticipation of what was coming next. Every child needs permission to make some noise and this book gives kids permission to just that. Thank you Mr Munsch for bringing so much joy to circle time in my class.

“Clang Clang Rattle B...more
Emily
Munschworks collection
Kate Keach
Great

One of my daughter's favorite books. She loves walking around saying "Mortimer, be quiet!"
It will be a daily read!
C Klassen
This read-aloud can be supported nicely with instruments, and might encourage children to make connections with musical literacy (i.e. high and low pitch, meter).
Young Mortimer just won't be quiet at bedtime. Everyone in the family takes a turn marching up the stairs to yell at him to "Be Quiet!" but he just keeps on singing "Bang, Bang, Rattle and Clang" at the top of his lungs. Will he ever settle down for bed?

This is lots of fun, especially if you can sing his song really loudly! The kids join in and we make a huge racket!
Daniel
Another in the Robert Munsch collection.

Like many of the others, this can be fun to read allowed, aspecially at bed time, but it stands as one of Munsch's lesser books. Nothing here is worthy of oft-repeated readings or sticking with you for a life-time. But for a diversion, for something different to read, this can be fun.
Kevin Bolger
Reading "Mortimer" to a classful of kindergartens is about as much fun as you can have in literature.

Like most of Munsch's stories, this one's a (super funny) "pattern book," with lots of repeated phrases. Great for building sight vocabulary. Every primary grade reading teacher should have a whole library of Munsches.
Craig
Probably my favorite picture book ever - especially for reading at library storytimes. I think it's also the only picture book I've purchased as an adult, just for myself. Hilariously funny with lots of repetition and sound effects - you can tell the author is a professional storyteller. This one's going on my Favorites list.
Lauren
Mortimer does not want to go to bed. He keeps everyone in the town awake by singing his loud song. While everyone is arguing downstairs, Mortimer finally falls asleep waiting for someone to come upstairs and yell at him.

This book is great to use with instruments to create the sounds and make literacy fun.
Brittney
Mortimer is such a loud mouth. He doesn't want to go sleep; instead he would rather stay up and sing. His parents, even the police cannot get him to quiet down. It's a wonderful book to share with a class about being loud and respecting your parents
Ashley Fortson
This book would be a great book to read when talking to a class about behavior. In this book, Mortimer misbehaves and always gets out of bed at night. Later all of his brothers and sisters stary misbehaving and he realized how bad that he has been.
Mariel Javier
This book would be a great mentor text to use with lower level students. It is a great book to read aloud and have students repeat after you. It would also be a great method to show students how to use onomatopoeia in their writing.
C-chan
Over the top, short, and repetitive, in the perfect manor for a children's book! A very enjoyable read, and VERY Munsch!!!!

(I still remember Robert Munsch's song for Mortimer from the book on tape I have of this....)
Andria
Mortimer does not want to go to sleep no matter how hard everyone tries! This book would be a good book to read to a class who has behavior problems. It can help show them how bothersome being bad can really be.
  • Jillian Jiggs
  • Red Is Best
  • Alligator Pie (Collector's Edition)
  • The Hockey Sweater
  • But No Elephants
  • Sleep, Big Bear, Sleep!
  • Chester (Chester)
  • Franklin In The Dark
  • Prince Cinders
  • A Handful of Time
  • The Berenstain Bears and the Homework Hassle
  • Popcorn
  • The Cremation of Sam McGee
Robert Munsch was born in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. He graduated from Fordham University in 1969 with a Bachelor of Arts degree in history and from Boston University in 1971 with a Master of Arts degree in anthropology.

He studied to become a Jesuit priest, but decided he would rather work with children after jobs at orphanages and daycare centers. In 1973, he received a Master of Education in Chil...more
More about Robert Munsch...
Love You Forever The Paper Bag Princess Stephanie's Ponytail Thomas' Snowsuit Purple, Green and Yellow

“Clang Clang Rattle Bing Bang, Gonna make my noise all day!” 19 likes