Start by marking “Harper Lee's To Kill a Mockingbird (Bloom's Guides)” as Want to Read:
Harper Lee's To Kill a Mockingbird (Bloom's Guides)

Harper Lee's To Kill a Mockingbird (Bloom's Guides)

4.37 of 5 stars 4.37  ·  rating details  ·  1,708 ratings  ·  32 reviews
Harold Bloom's introduction questions whether Harper Lee's To Kill a Mockingbird is a novel that will endure or has had popularity merely as a time. Along with a collection of some of the best criticism available on his work, this text includes a brief biography of the author, structural and thematic analysis, an index of themes and ideas, and more. This series is edited b ...more
Published June 30th 2004 by Chelsea House Publications

To ask other readers questions about Harper Lee's To Kill a Mockingbird, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Harper Lee's To Kill a Mockingbird

The Grapes of Wrath by John SteinbeckAnne of Green Gables by L.M. MontgomeryRebecca by Daphne du MaurierThe Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel HawthorneA Midsummer Night's Dream by William Shakespeare
English Teacher's Favorite Books
45th out of 123 books — 7 voters
Palestine by Joe SaccoThe Selected Poems by Federico García LorcaCollected Poems by Dylan ThomasThe Dharma Bums by Jack KerouacPetals of Blood by Ngũgĩ wa Thiong’o
More Favorites
6th out of 61 books — 1 voter

More lists with this book...

Anthony
Is it possible that everybody who wrote a review for this book thinks they are reviewing Harper Lee's To Kill a Mockingbird?
We can all agree that Harold Bloom has enriched the world of English literature with his criticism, anthologies and his consummate influence. However, even Dr. Bloom would agree that the reviews of this book are stealing Ms. Lee's thunder.

Dr. Bloom, you are still a literary Titan. And thank you especially for your prolific Shakespearean criticism, which has helped me muddl
Kathleen Valentine
I wish I could give it 10 stars! I appreciated it much more this time than I did years ago and it seems more relevant now than ever before. When a man of great dignity and intelligence methodically and deliberately attempts to right wrongs, those who cannot tolerate the truth, have to try to diminish him.
Ruth
I love this book! I learned so much form it. Yeah, it was an assingment for a class but i still liked it! I learned not to be racist and many other stuff, u should really read it!
Laurie Mazzoli
still one of the best around
4Stephen
Would you want to kill a mocking bird? You might think the book To Kill a Mockingbird would help you kill a mocking bird but it doesn't. Several good things exist in this book. The title "To Kill a Mockingbird" works well with the book. Characters in the book will make you like it more. Even though this book deals with serious problems, humor exists throughout the book.

The title "To kill a Mockingbird" makes this book better. "it's a sin to kill a mockingbird. Mockingbirds don't do one thing bu
Maureen Bauer
I recently re-read this novel and enjoyed it even more. I think we sometimes remember a story based on a film, and miss that there is so much more in the novel than just what is going on during the trial in the courtroom. Granted, those events are the climax of the story, and also the conflicting image of this sleepy Southern town and it's inhabitants. But my enjoyment of my last reading centered around the early descriptions of the town, it's people, the children's events, adventures and freedo ...more
Pam
This is one of my favorite all-time books and I just had the privilege to re-read it again. It is so poignant and beautifully written. I love all of the characters...especially Atticus. He has a calm about him while dealing with circumstances that demand both intellect and a strong sense of right. Wish I could parent more like him! I love the insights of Scout, who though a child, has perspective that is well beyond child-like. I plan on making this a read aloud to my children when they get a bi ...more
Colleen Moore
I read this as a child over and over again. I really loved it. I was 10 or 11 the first time I read it. I didn't know it was a social commentary on race at the time I read it, I just loved the kids and really identified with them.

I read it again years later as an adult and was blown away again but he subtext that I did not consciously pick up on as a child.

I definitely recommend it to everyone.
Rachel
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I started it on a road trip to Texas in audio form with Sissy Spacek as the reader then finished it at home reading it. After seeing the movie and the play (and problaby reading it many years ago)I loved listening to it on cd!
Deb Todd
Re-reading this book as an adult, I loved it more than I did when I was in school. It's timeless. If you've read it, read it again. The book pictured here is not the right book . This is a commentary on To Kill A Mockingbird. I read the book not the commentary.
Denise Hartzler
A true literary classic. Aside from the characters, what I love most about this book is that you can't separate the characters from the place or from the outcome - it is that tightly woven. A true masterpiece and a yearly re-read for me.
Colette
I first read this book in high school and loved it. My daughter and I do a mother/daughter reading group together and chose this book as well as the Harper Lee biography "Mockingbird" Still an amazing book!
Bianca Robitaille
it is now one of my favorites now that i have read it. it makes you think and the best hero of litrecher is in it Atticus Finch someone who will cross many minds and lead the way.
Windy
This is one of my favorite classic books. It is one of the books in which the movie is just as good. If you want to read a classic book I would recommend this one.
Toni
Symbolism of the book To Kill A Mockingbird is when someone who does good things for other people, and does no wrong, but is still persecuted for nothing.
Andrew
Mar 23, 2009 Andrew is currently reading it
I have to read this book for my English class and so far I have gotten into it and would like to continue reading...Just no more homework for me!
Barbara
Had to recently re-read with my son and enjoyed every word. A classic about human decency and integrity that will be special to me forever.
C.J. Prince
It is a rare treat to return to a book. This classic is better with each reading. Suggestion to book groups: reqad "The Help" next.
Bradleka
This book was a favorite of mine when I read in middle school and it still resonates 15 years later when I read it again.
Amanda
I've read the book numerous times and it is still one of my all time favorites. Harper Lee did an exceptional job.
Marantina
Jangan remehkan sudut pandang gadis kecil.Dia bisa lebih bijaksana dari orang (yang mengaku) dewasa. :)
Great look at life in the south prior to civil rights.....hopefully not a current picture.
Jeancy
i read it just because i had to, and it's kind of boring to me.
Vinny
Not bad, I became very sad at the ending and I'm not sure why.
Susan Claypool
I now know why this is my sister's favorite book of all time.
Tara hunt
didnt like, but enjoyed the movie!
Eryadi
just read it!!! simply the best.,
Yvonne
a book I recall vividly
Jim Traylor
Great Southern Gothic
Dixie
My all time favorite book!
  • La coscienza di Zeno di Italo Svevo
  • Harper Lee's To Kill a Mockingbird
  • Better Times Than These
  • A Course in Astral Travel and Dreams
  • Racconti
  • The Levee (Blackwater, #2)
  • And There Was Light: The Extraordinary Memoir of a Blind Hero of the French Resistance in World War II
  • Luigi Pirandello e Il fu Mattia Pascal
  • Il giovane Holden - Franny e Zooey - Nove racconti - Alzate l'architrave, carpentieri e Seymour, introduzione
  • The English Patient: A Screenplay
Bloom is a literary critic, and currently a Sterling Professor of the Humanities at Yale University. Since the publication of his first book in 1959, Bloom has written more than 20 books of literary criticism, several books discussing religion, and one novel. He has edited hundreds of anthologies.
More about Harold Bloom...
Kurt Vonnegut's Cat's Cradle (Modern Critical Interpretations) Aldous Huxley's Brave New World (Bloom's Guides) Shakespeare: The Invention of the Human The Western Canon: The Books and School of the Ages How to Read and Why