Start by marking “Harper Lee's To Kill a Mockingbird (Bloom's Guides)” as Want to Read:
Harper Lee's To Kill a Mockingbird (Bloom's Guides)

Harper Lee's To Kill a Mockingbird (Bloom's Guides)

4.37  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,580 Ratings  ·  35 Reviews
Harold Bloom's introduction questions whether Harper Lee's To Kill a Mockingbird is a novel that will endure or has had popularity merely as a time. Along with a collection of some of the best criticism available on his work, this text includes a brief biography of the author, structural and thematic analysis, an index of themes and ideas, and more. This series is edited b ...more
Published June 30th 2004 by Chelsea House Publications

To ask other readers questions about Harper Lee's To Kill a Mockingbird, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Harper Lee's To Kill a Mockingbird

Ruth
Jan 27, 2008 Ruth rated it it was amazing
I love this book! I learned so much form it. Yeah, it was an assingment for a class but i still liked it! I learned not to be racist and many other stuff, u should really read it!
Anthony
Is it possible that everybody who wrote a review for this book thinks they are reviewing Harper Lee's To Kill a Mockingbird?
We can all agree that Harold Bloom has enriched the world of English literature with his criticism, anthologies and his consummate influence. However, even Dr. Bloom would agree that the reviews of this book are stealing Ms. Lee's thunder.

Dr. Bloom, you are still a literary Titan. And thank you especially for your prolific Shakespearean criticism, which has helped me muddl
Kathleen Valentine
I wish I could give it 10 stars! I appreciated it much more this time than I did years ago and it seems more relevant now than ever before. When a man of great dignity and intelligence methodically and deliberately attempts to right wrongs, those who cannot tolerate the truth, have to try to diminish him.
Laurie Mazzoli
Oct 15, 2008 Laurie Mazzoli rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
still one of the best around
4Stephen
Apr 20, 2009 4Stephen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Would you want to kill a mocking bird? You might think the book To Kill a Mockingbird would help you kill a mocking bird but it doesn't. Several good things exist in this book. The title "To Kill a Mockingbird" works well with the book. Characters in the book will make you like it more. Even though this book deals with serious problems, humor exists throughout the book.

The title "To kill a Mockingbird" makes this book better. "it's a sin to kill a mockingbird. Mockingbirds don't do one thing bu
Maureen Bauer
Jun 29, 2013 Maureen Bauer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I recently re-read this novel and enjoyed it even more. I think we sometimes remember a story based on a film, and miss that there is so much more in the novel than just what is going on during the trial in the courtroom. Granted, those events are the climax of the story, and also the conflicting image of this sleepy Southern town and it's inhabitants. But my enjoyment of my last reading centered around the early descriptions of the town, it's people, the children's events, adventures and freedo ...more
Sue Thomas
Feb 17, 2016 Sue Thomas rated it it was amazing
I adore this book, plain and simple.

The book transports you back to small town America in the 1930s so beautifully that, you can really feel the time and place seen through 10 year old Scout's eyes. Her hero worship of her father, the admirable Atticus Finch and his sense of what is right is palpable as is her inability to comprehend why the adult world functions as it does.

Every time I read this book, I never fail to cry when Atticus says "Thank you for my children, Arthur."

For this reason, I w
Pam
Oct 15, 2008 Pam rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of my favorite all-time books and I just had the privilege to re-read it again. It is so poignant and beautifully written. I love all of the characters...especially Atticus. He has a calm about him while dealing with circumstances that demand both intellect and a strong sense of right. Wish I could parent more like him! I love the insights of Scout, who though a child, has perspective that is well beyond child-like. I plan on making this a read aloud to my children when they get a bi ...more
Kathy
May 15, 2015 Kathy added it
Just reread this one in preparation for the sequal.
Karin Gately
Apr 16, 2015 Karin Gately rated it it was amazing
All time favorite.
Colleen Moore
Mar 23, 2009 Colleen Moore rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this as a child over and over again. I really loved it. I was 10 or 11 the first time I read it. I didn't know it was a social commentary on race at the time I read it, I just loved the kids and really identified with them.

I read it again years later as an adult and was blown away again but he subtext that I did not consciously pick up on as a child.

I definitely recommend it to everyone.
Rachel
Dec 13, 2009 Rachel rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I started it on a road trip to Texas in audio form with Sissy Spacek as the reader then finished it at home reading it. After seeing the movie and the play (and problaby reading it many years ago)I loved listening to it on cd!
Deb Todd
Sep 07, 2012 Deb Todd rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Re-reading this book as an adult, I loved it more than I did when I was in school. It's timeless. If you've read it, read it again. The book pictured here is not the right book . This is a commentary on To Kill A Mockingbird. I read the book not the commentary.
Denise Hartzler
Mar 29, 2012 Denise Hartzler rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
A true literary classic. Aside from the characters, what I love most about this book is that you can't separate the characters from the place or from the outcome - it is that tightly woven. A true masterpiece and a yearly re-read for me.
Lisa
May 30, 2015 Lisa added it
i enjoyed this book
Colette
Nov 18, 2009 Colette rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: finished
I first read this book in high school and loved it. My daughter and I do a mother/daughter reading group together and chose this book as well as the Harper Lee biography "Mockingbird" Still an amazing book!
Windy
Sep 23, 2011 Windy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of my favorite classic books. It is one of the books in which the movie is just as good. If you want to read a classic book I would recommend this one.
Toni
Sep 28, 2012 Toni rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: symbolism
Symbolism of the book To Kill A Mockingbird is when someone who does good things for other people, and does no wrong, but is still persecuted for nothing.
Andrew
Mar 23, 2009 Andrew is currently reading it
I have to read this book for my English class and so far I have gotten into it and would like to continue reading...Just no more homework for me!
Barbara
May 16, 2011 Barbara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Had to recently re-read with my son and enjoyed every word. A classic about human decency and integrity that will be special to me forever.
C.J. Prince
Aug 30, 2011 C.J. Prince rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It is a rare treat to return to a book. This classic is better with each reading. Suggestion to book groups: reqad "The Help" next.
Bradleka
Jul 20, 2009 Bradleka rated it it was amazing
This book was a favorite of mine when I read in middle school and it still resonates 15 years later when I read it again.
Amanda
Aug 29, 2010 Amanda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've read the book numerous times and it is still one of my all time favorites. Harper Lee did an exceptional job.
tina
Mar 14, 2010 tina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jangan remehkan sudut pandang gadis kecil.Dia bisa lebih bijaksana dari orang (yang mengaku) dewasa. :)
Aug 20, 2012 Laura rated it it was amazing
Great look at life in the south prior to civil rights.....hopefully not a current picture.
Jeancy
Oct 15, 2008 Jeancy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
i read it just because i had to, and it's kind of boring to me.
Vinny
Sep 29, 2012 Vinny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not bad, I became very sad at the ending and I'm not sure why.
Susan Claypool
Feb 15, 2010 Susan Claypool rated it it was amazing
I now know why this is my sister's favorite book of all time.
Tara hunt
Mar 05, 2016 Tara hunt rated it did not like it
didnt like, but enjoyed the movie!
Eryadi
Jun 13, 2012 Eryadi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
just read it!!! simply the best.,
  • The Count of Monte Cristo
  • Jane Austen: Pride and Prejudice, Mansfield Park, Persuasion
  • Little Women, Little Men, Jo's Boys
  • The Gift of Years: Growing Older Gracefully
  • A World Made of Fire
  • The Race For A New Game Machine: Creating the Chips Inside the XBox and the Playstation 3
  • Ships of the Line
  • Milking the Moon: A Southerner's Story of Life on This Planet
  • Solzhenitsyn: A Soul in Exile
  • The Execution of Private Slovik
  • As a Gentleman Would Say: Responses to Life's Important (and Sometimes Awkward) Situations
  • Doris Day: The Untold Story of the Girl Next Door
  • Alberta and Freedom
  • Fighting the Devil in Dixie: How Civil Rights Activists Took on the Ku Klux Klan in Alabama
  • The Fortune (Blackwater, #5)
  • Mutiny on the Amistad
  • Train Whistle Guitar
  • Windows® Internals (PRO-Developer)
Bloom is a literary critic, and currently a Sterling Professor of the Humanities at Yale University. Since the publication of his first book in 1959, Bloom has written more than 20 books of literary criticism, several books discussing religion, and one novel. He has edited hundreds of anthologies.
More about Harold Bloom...