Start by marking “Lessons I Learned in the Dark” as Want to Read:
Lessons I Learned in the Dark

Lessons I Learned in the Dark

4.19 of 5 stars 4.19  ·  rating details  ·  390 ratings  ·  31 reviews
At the age of fifteen, Jennifer Rothschild confronted two unshakable realities: Blindness is inevitable ... and God is enough. Now this popular author, speaker, and recording artist offers poignant lessons that illuminate a path to freedom and fulfillment. With warmth, humor, and insight, Jennifer shares the guiding principles she walks by -- and shows you how to walk forw ...more
Published September 10th 2002 by Multnomah Books (first published January 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Lessons I Learned in the Dark, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lessons I Learned in the Dark

Kristin
I've enjoyed hearing her speak on YouTube videos....amazing woman! She went blind when she was in Jr. High from an eye disease. Here are some things from the book that I'd like to remember:

page 76-77
on saying thank you to an aunt who gave her underwear for Christmas when she had suspected and hoped that she was getting a Barbie:

(My Mother) had instilled in me how important it is to always honor the giver by gratefully receiving the gift....Often we struggle with an attitude of ungratefulness bec
Jean
Jennifer Rothschild is such a beautiful soul. I am in awe of her. Couldn't put the book down! Her faith and confidence in the Lord is the best witness of what God can do when you trust Him. Her blindness literally puts her in the dark but she lives in the light of the Lord!
Dottie Parish
Lessons I Learned in the Dark is a profound book about living by faith. The author is afflicted with an eye disease in her teens which leads to blindness. She realizes she will never be able to drive. She wonders will I be able to finish high school. What about college? Will I have a boyfriend? Will I ever marry?

Rothschild learns how to navigate with a white cane so she can be self-sufficient away at college. Two weeks before going to college she is gripped by fear. Her parents insist she go for
Kristie
As a woman with RP, reading the life experiences of Ms. Rothschild as she struggled through RP, really helped me feel as though I am not alone in this journey of blindness. It was so easy to relate to her through her writing.

I felt that her book was written to anyone, but maybe it especially touched me because I too am a Christian struggling with the very same eye disease. I really liked her use of scripture throughout, and feel that much of it I'd like to go over again, so I marked the book on
Lseagro1
Jennifer Rothschild brings a huge amount of light into the subject of Faith and believing that God is who He says He is. By going through the book, which is also a workbook, I learned simple steps that I could practice and ponder to help understand how my faith can be strengthened. The study came right on time in my life so I'm able to put it into practice, thanks to her analogy of being blind to "blind" faith!
Berta Dickerson
Jan 14, 2008 Berta Dickerson rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: all who need encouragement
Recommended to Berta by: My women's Bible Study Group chose to study the workbook and I s
Jennifer Rothschild lost her vision in her teens yet overcame her sightlessness through a long journey in the dark. As a person with a disability I drew on her strength, courage and faith. I saw many of my struggles and concerns in her life. We can overcome bless God!
Tiffany
This was a very scripture-heavy study that changed my life! I would highly recommend it. She challenges the reader to take an honest look at their faith and move forward with it to completely rely on God. While stepping on toes, it is very motivational.
christie
jennifer is such an inspiration and i enjoyed every word that she put into this book. i have heard her speak in person and she is just as wonderful to hear in person. she is one of the rare individuals that completely beautiful inside and out.
Jaclynn
Jennifer is a blind woman who is a speaker, sometimes at the Women of Faith conferences. This is her story and lessons the Lord taught her on her journey from when she became blind at the age of 15 to present. It was an inspiring and sobering read.
Joyce
I've heard that the author is a great speaker, but I was less than impressed with this book. It seemed very "pollyanna-ish" and seemed to lack any real feeling about the author's blindness and how it has affected her life.
Sherri
This book was an inspiring read on how much Jennifer can "see" without seeing. Comical, poignant, grounding, and insightful. I like how she turned situations in her life into scripture lessons. Remarkable.
Emily Reagan
My first bible study with PWOC. This was a great basic one. Jennifer has such a positive attitude toward life and good to know she is human. I'd recommend for any Christian, whether new in your faith or not.
Marissa
This is an amazing study - if you are part of a Christian bible study, add this book to your list of studies. Every woman should do this study - the investment is totally worth it.
Christie
Fall Bible Study text, includes daily reading assignment. Author, Jennifer Rothschild, lost sight as a high school student and teaches to live a life based on faith rather than sight.
Win
"Never forget that the important things sealed in your memory are never lost. So spend time memorizing what matters and maintain what you have memorized." Good advice
Grace
Jun 08, 2008 Grace rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: helping to build your faith
It is a great story about how you are able to do anything if you put your faith in God. Jennifer did a wonderful job of telling her story through comedy and drama.
Senojeyram
Enjoyed reading this book because of the insight it offered. It definitely made me think about my faith life. I really like the way Jennifer writes. Very down to earth.
Amy
this was the first bible class i took and this study accompanied it, cheesy at parts, it was really a life changing point for me when i needed it
Sandra
Jennifer Rothschild lost her sight at the age of 15 and this book chronicles the lessons she learned as she was adjusting to a world of darkness.
Hannah Harrimanheharriman
My grandma recommended that I read this book. I, like the author, am blind. Her faith story has inspired me in my walk with The Lord.
Helena
As devoted Christian I feel thnt I should have liked this book. But I found it superficial and polyanna-ish.
Sheila
An inspirational book about having faith in God, written by a woman who lost her vision at the age of 15.
Sue Bull-welch
A very uplifting, positive, spiritual book! I loved it! I was helpful to my life in so many ways!
Daneen62
This book impacted each and every time I picked it up. I learned a lot about myself.
Redhead
Don't miss this book. We can and should all be learning these lessons.
Tammy
This book is great. I highly recommend this book. Easy read.
Jen
Good material, some inspirational moments.
Jturner7
  • Having a Mary Spirit: Allowing God to Change Us from the Inside Out
  • Beautiful Things Happen When A Woman Trusts God
  • Loving God with All Your Mind
  • The Fitting Room: Putting on the Character of Christ
Jennifer Rothschild is a recovering perfectionist who has learned to live beyond limits ever since her life drastically changed at the age of fifteen, when she lost her sight. Now, more than 30 years later, she boldly and compassionately teaches women how to find contentment, walk with endurance, and celebrate the ordinary.

She's the author of ten books, including the best-selling Lessons I Learned
More about Jennifer Rothschild...
Me, Myself, & Lies: A Thought-Closet Makeover (Bible Study Workbook) Self Talk, Soul Talk: What to Say When You Talk to Yourself God Is Just Not Fair: Finding Hope When Life Doesn't Make Sense Missing Pieces: Real Hope When Life Doesn't Make Sense Fingerprints of God: Recognizing God's Touch on Your Life

“The difference between bitter and better is I.” 12 likes