Start by marking “Lessons I Learned in the Dark: Steps to Walking by Faith, Not by Sight” as Want to Read:
Lessons I Learned in the Dark: Steps to Walking by Faith, Not by Sight

Lessons I Learned in the Dark: Steps to Walking by Faith, Not by Sight

At the age of fifteen, Jennifer Rothschild confronted two unshakable realities: Blindness is inevitable ... and God is enough. Now this popular author, speaker, and recording artist offers poignant lessons that illuminate a path to freedom and fulfillment. With warmth, humor, and insight,Jennifer shares the guiding principles she walks by -- and shows you how to walk ...more
Published September 10th 2002 by Multnomah Books (first published January 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Lessons I Learned in the Dark, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lessons I Learned in the Dark

Kristin
Dec 30, 2008 Kristin rated it really liked it
Shelves: christian-living
I've enjoyed hearing her speak on YouTube videos....amazing woman! She went blind when she was in Jr. High from an eye disease. Here are some things from the book that I'd like to remember:

page 76-77
on saying thank you to an aunt who gave her underwear for Christmas when she had suspected and hoped that she was getting a Barbie:

(My Mother) had instilled in me how important it is to always honor the giver by gratefully receiving the gift....Often we struggle with an attitude of ungratefulness bec
Jean
Feb 02, 2013 Jean rated it it was amazing
Jennifer Rothschild is such a beautiful soul. I am in awe of her. Couldn't put the book down! Her faith and confidence in the Lord is the best witness of what God can do when you trust Him. Her blindness literally puts her in the dark but she lives in the light of the Lord!
Dottie Parish
Lessons I Learned in the Dark is a profound book about living by faith. The author is afflicted with an eye disease in her teens which leads to blindness. She realizes she will never be able to drive. She wonders will I be able to finish high school. What about college? Will I have a boyfriend? Will I ever marry?

Rothschild learns how to navigate with a white cane so she can be self-sufficient away at college. Two weeks before going to college she is gripped by fear. Her parents insist she go for
Kristie
Dec 07, 2009 Kristie rated it it was amazing
As a woman with RP, reading the life experiences of Ms. Rothschild as she struggled through RP, really helped me feel as though I am not alone in this journey of blindness. It was so easy to relate to her through her writing.

I felt that her book was written to anyone, but maybe it especially touched me because I too am a Christian struggling with the very same eye disease. I really liked her use of scripture throughout, and feel that much of it I'd like to go over again, so I marked the book on
Lseagro1
Feb 11, 2013 Lseagro1 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jennifer Rothschild brings a huge amount of light into the subject of Faith and believing that God is who He says He is. By going through the book, which is also a workbook, I learned simple steps that I could practice and ponder to help understand how my faith can be strengthened. The study came right on time in my life so I'm able to put it into practice, thanks to her analogy of being blind to "blind" faith!
Shalena
Feb 20, 2015 Shalena rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was my first time reading a book by Rothschild and I am truly pleased with how well she shared God's love with readers. After completing the first half, I couldn't wait to delve into the second half. As someone who has attended one of Rothschild's seminars, this book clearly shows her true personality and her love for God and His word.
Christie
Oct 03, 2008 Christie rated it it was amazing
jennifer is such an inspiration and i enjoyed every word that she put into this book. i have heard her speak in person and she is just as wonderful to hear in person. she is one of the rare individuals that completely beautiful inside and out.
Sherri
Dec 01, 2013 Sherri rated it it was amazing
This book was an inspiring read on how much Jennifer can "see" without seeing. Comical, poignant, grounding, and insightful. I like how she turned situations in her life into scripture lessons. Remarkable.
Jaclynn
Jan 22, 2008 Jaclynn rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2007
Jennifer is a blind woman who is a speaker, sometimes at the Women of Faith conferences. This is her story and lessons the Lord taught her on her journey from when she became blind at the age of 15 to present. It was an inspiring and sobering read.
Emily Reagan
My first bible study with PWOC. This was a great basic one. Jennifer has such a positive attitude toward life and good to know she is human. I'd recommend for any Christian, whether new in your faith or not.
Joyce
Jun 18, 2007 Joyce rated it it was ok
I've heard that the author is a great speaker, but I was less than impressed with this book. It seemed very "pollyanna-ish" and seemed to lack any real feeling about the author's blindness and how it has affected her life.
Tiffany
This was a very scripture-heavy study that changed my life! I would highly recommend it. She challenges the reader to take an honest look at their faith and move forward with it to completely rely on God. While stepping on toes, it is very motivational.
Berta Dickerson
Jan 14, 2008 Berta Dickerson rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: all who need encouragement
Recommended to Berta by: My women's Bible Study Group chose to study the workbook and I s
Jennifer Rothschild lost her vision in her teens yet overcame her sightlessness through a long journey in the dark. As a person with a disability I drew on her strength, courage and faith. I saw many of my struggles and concerns in her life. We can overcome bless God!
Hannah Harrimanheharriman
Jan 08, 2014 Hannah Harrimanheharriman rated it it was amazing
My grandma recommended that I read this book. I, like the author, am blind. Her faith story has inspired me in my walk with The Lord.
Marissa
Apr 04, 2013 Marissa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an amazing study - if you are part of a Christian bible study, add this book to your list of studies. Every woman should do this study - the investment is totally worth it.
Grace
Mar 03, 2011 Grace rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: helping to build your faith
It is a great story about how you are able to do anything if you put your faith in God. Jennifer did a wonderful job of telling her story through comedy and drama.
Senojeyram
Mar 18, 2009 Senojeyram rated it liked it
Enjoyed reading this book because of the insight it offered. It definitely made me think about my faith life. I really like the way Jennifer writes. Very down to earth.
Gina
Jan 21, 2016 Gina rated it really liked it
What a glorious read.

Just when I thought I was lost, my faith has been restored. Thank you so much and God bless you and keep you.
Helena
Jul 18, 2013 Helena rated it it was ok
Shelves: books-i-own
As devoted Christian I feel thnt I should have liked this book. But I found it superficial and polyanna-ish.
Gail Brandt
Jan 19, 2015 Gail Brandt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent

I heard Jennifer speak 3 days ago and bought her book, finishing it 3 days later. I love her insight and applications of scripture to daily life!
Sheila
Oct 01, 2011 Sheila rated it liked it
Shelves: blind
An inspirational book about having faith in God, written by a woman who lost her vision at the age of 15.
Lucas Johnson
Jan 30, 2016 Lucas Johnson rated it really liked it
Simple but powerful themes that can be enjoyed by all spiritual seekers. I thoroughly enjoyed this work, and I will almost certainly return to it on occasion to recall its spirit.
Amy
Feb 11, 2013 Amy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this was the first bible class i took and this study accompanied it, cheesy at parts, it was really a life changing point for me when i needed it
Win
Jul 21, 2012 Win rated it liked it
Shelves: christian
"Never forget that the important things sealed in your memory are never lost. So spend time memorizing what matters and maintain what you have memorized." Good advice
Sandra
Dec 29, 2011 Sandra rated it liked it
Jennifer Rothschild lost her sight at the age of 15 and this book chronicles the lessons she learned as she was adjusting to a world of darkness.
Christie
Fall Bible Study text, includes daily reading assignment. Author, Jennifer Rothschild, lost sight as a high school student and teaches to live a life based on faith rather than sight.
Joy
Joy rated it it was amazing
Feb 11, 2013
Pamela Barnhart
Pamela Barnhart rated it it was amazing
Jul 10, 2015
Melanie
Melanie rated it it was amazing
Mar 09, 2012
Melissa Wrench
Melissa Wrench rated it really liked it
Nov 16, 2016
  • Living Beyond Yourself: Exploring the Fruit of the Spirit - Member Book
  • Anointed, Transformed, Redeemed: A Study of David: Member Book
  • Voices of the Faithful
  • The Fitting Room: Putting on the Character of Christ
  • Becoming More Than a Good Bible Study Girl
  • The Girl's Still Got It: Take a Walk with Ruth and the God Who Rocked Her World
  • A Beautiful Offering: Returning God's Love with Your Life
  • Grace Walk: What You've Always Wanted in the Christian Life
  • Beautiful Things Happen When a Woman Trusts God
  • Big Girls Don't Whine: Getting On With the Great Life God Intends
Jennifer Rothschild is a recovering perfectionist who has learned to live beyond limits ever since her life drastically changed at the age of fifteen, when she lost her sight. Now, more than 30 years later, she boldly and compassionately teaches women how to find contentment, walk with endurance, and celebrate the ordinary.

She's the author of ten books, including the best-selling Lessons I Learned
More about Jennifer Rothschild...

“The difference between bitter and better is I.” 13 likes