Start by marking “Spellbound” as Want to Read:
Spellbound

Spellbound

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  179 ratings  ·  24 reviews
How far would you go to get rid of an annoying brother? Athene meets the Gloam, who cast a spell on everyone who knew her little brother so that they forget all about him. However, it is Athene who cannot forget her brother and so she sets out into a world of dark magic, underground kingdoms and twisted histories to save him.
Published by Bloomsbury UK (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Spellbound, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Spellbound

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. RowlingThe Wishing Spell by Chris ColferHarry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J.K. Rowling
Potential Fantasy Classics
81st out of 219 books — 125 voters
Spellbound by Nora RobertsPossession by A.S. ByattFallen by Lauren KateThe Fallen by Celia ThomsonPossession by Elana Johnson
Overworked Titles
116th out of 339 books — 20 voters

More lists with this book...

Nesa Sivagnanam
An innocent summer holiday turns out to be anything but for Athene Enright and her younger brother, Zach, when they find themselves caught up in a skirmish between two groups of gnome-like creatures: The Humble Gloam live above ground and get along with humans; the Low Gloam live below ground and despise everyone.

When Athene encounters the mysterious and magical Humble Gloam tribe one moonlit night of her summer holiday, she also stumbles across an ingenious way to get rid of her irritating you
Cristina
i loved this book, it is probably one of the best book ive ever read. it is full of magic and adventure. have you ever had a little brother or sister that is always after you and is really annoying? well that is athenes problem. her brother zack is so annoying. athene and her family go to a vacation in a house on the outers of the city. athene goes exploring and finds the glare. the glare are people that sleep in the day light and work at night. then zack finds out about them and athene get rell ...more
Phoebe
An ornery 12-year-old girl gets more than she ever bargained for during a family holiday at a bed-and-breakfast in the Somerset countryside. Many years ago, the two sisters who owned the farm had a bad scare, and sold the property suddenly. What were they so scared of? Lonely and a little frightened, Athene ventures out one night to find the cat, and discovers a strange little man in the field. And this is the start to her amazing adventures. Anna Dale's books are reliably well-written and the p ...more
Jocelyn Montalvo Cullum
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Alexis
I love how magical it is and how much courage it shows there is so much about it it is awesome
Faith
Athene tricked her brother into falling down a Low Gloam hole. Soon she fills guilty and decides to rescue him. Two Gloam decide to go with her. Down in the tunnels of Low Gloam, Athene doesn't find Zach,her little brother. Soon it looks like Zach is not in the tunnels of Low Gloam, nor is there a way out. And where is that otter?

Reasons why I like this book-

Reason 1- It was magical.

Reason 2- I couldn't stop reading.

Reason 3- I could imagine what was happening.

Reason 4- It made me wonder, are th
Kimberly
TEMPTING EXITING AND MAGICAL!!! l love it
Franchezca
Ruby
This was a really cute book, but I think that it may be a bit challenging for the Y/A audience because it was originally published in Great Britain, but not edited for the American audience. Therefore, many youth (including my daughter, who I bought the book for) find translating some of the words difficult enough to get bored early on and decide that it’s not “my kind of reading”. Still, it had an interesting plot, and I actually had a hard time putting it down.
Julie
I honestly didn't read this whole book. I am a mother to a young teen and a 6 year old, and the bickering between the siblings was so realistic that I couldn't handle it! I read to escape the stress of my life, not relive it!!! I really liked her writing style and the story premise looked interesting. So... it is probably really good, I just couldn't get past the fighting... too much like the things I mediate every day!
Veronica Hester
Anna Dale,you've done it again! I loved Whispering to Witches and this is the second book I've read by Anna Dale.I thought the story was great and unusual.I couldn't stop reading this book(when I wasn't doing something else) and truly enjoyed it! I recommend this book and all of the other books written by Anna Dale.
Kate
I expected better of this book. I concluded that this book was a waste of time and because it wasn't my type of book. My type is about princessess, fairies, dragons etc... but this is about exploring underground. What kind of plot is that? I liked the cover of the book though. and the title.
Rathi Ramamoorthy
Surprisingly fun read with twists and turns. I was all the way with Athene, Huffkin and Humdudgeon! A self centred lil brother hating sister turns hero by rescuing her brother and the entire low gloam tribe with a huge splash of another world, goggle drops and magic.
Ida
You know, this book is extraordinary, it really is. I've read many books, but never had I ever read a book about 2 different types of human, literally, not the good and bad, but a glare and gloam. Unfortunately, it doesn't really talk about the little brother.
Sue
Mar 28, 2009 Sue marked it as to-read
I just couldn't get into this one right now. I have so many other books I want to read and this one didn't grab me right away like her other book Whispering To Witches. I'll try it again at another time...
JennLynn
When she "accidentally on purpose" loses her young brother to an underground tribe called the Low Gloam, a girl must go to his rescue and free not only him but all the other captives as well. C+
Karlan
This is an entertaining fantasy for older children. While on vacation, Athene and her little brother become captives in an underground community where magic binds them.
Corynn
This was probably one of the most amazing books I have ever read, I LOVED it!
Eris
This was I realy cool book I like fantacy
Rachel
It's exciting and it's got lots of adventure.
Emma
Dragged on, and I thought it was boring.
Timothy Tuan
I would say that this book is not bad
Rachel
Oct 08, 2008 Rachel marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Released June 2008
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2014
Sylvia Riedisser
Sylvia Riedisser marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2014
Sara Stalder
Sara Stalder marked it as to-read
Dec 05, 2014
Lauren
Lauren marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2014
Reading log #10 2 2 Feb 10, 2012 05:59PM
  • Fortune's Magic Farm
  • Paris Pan Takes the Dare
  • From Charlie's Point of View
  • The Mousehunter (Mousehunter Trilogy, #1)
  • The Magical Misadventures of Prunella Bogthistle
  • Elissa's Quest (Phoenix Rising, #1)
  • Soupy Saturdays with the Pain and the Great One
  • Elliot and the Goblin War (Underworld Chronicles #1)
  • The Genie King (Secrets of Droon Special Edition, #7)
  • The Ghost of Sir Herbert Dungeonstone (Dragon Slayers' Academy, #12)
  • Kaymon The Gorgon Hound (Beast Quest, #16)
  • Harding's Luck (Fabian Time Fantasies, #2)
  • Overcoming Overeating: Conquer Your Obsession With Food
  • The Wish Stealers
  • The Runaway Dragon (Runaway Princess, #2)
  • Any Which Wall
  • Favorite Norse Myths
  • Sprite's Secret (Pixie Tricks, #1)
Whispering To Witches Dawn Undercover Magical Mischief