Start by marking “Prey” as Want to Read:
Prey

Michael Crichton

Prey

3.71  ·  Rating Details ·  132,002 Ratings  ·  2,591 Reviews
Crichton's page-turning triumph (Detroit Free Press) is now in paperback. Deep in the Nevada desert, an experiment goes horribly wrong as a cloud of self-sustaining nanoparticles escapes from the laboratory. They have been programmed as predators and mankind is the prey.
Hardcover
Published November 1st 2003 by Turtleback Books (first published November 25th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Prey, please sign up.

Diana
Apr 06, 2015 Diana rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
very intriguing and little mystery with some twist and turn in the storyline,uncertainty at the end so maybe this story continues.....(paperback!)
Zoeytron
Artificial intelligence morphing into artificial life, threatening life as we know it. Nano-bots and their hive mentality, swarming and learning. Sounds like a winner, but it didn't even reach mediocre for me. The uber-thin characterizations capped it. I remember liking this author's Jurassic Park and The Andromeda Strain, but this one didn't do much for me.
David P.
Mar 01, 2009 David P. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I remember I first learned that Jurassic Park was actually a book - that was sometime last year. Well, I read it this year, and Jurassic Park turned out to be one of the best books I've ever read. And then I saw Prey by Michael Crichton (the genius behind Jurassic Park) and figured "There's no way this is as good as Jurassic Park." After reading it, though, I found out that Prey is another home run by Michael Crichton, a spectacular book comparable to Jurassic Park, and probably a top three book ...more
Shandra
Jun 30, 2015 Shandra rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: unable-to-finish
DNF at page 175/369.

Dear book,

Don't like you photo: I dont like you itsme_zpse8e97248.gif

It's me, not you. I was really into you in the beginning, but you lost me when you got too technical. That's when I lost my interest in you. There was no coming back from that. While I found your premise fascinating and terrifying at the beginning, after you lost me, the premise wasn't interesting to me anymore. This is purely me, and is not your fault. You see, I have an addiction to the Kate Daniels series. I was spending time with you while waiting for the buddy
ConstantReader Paul O'Neill
It was always going to be asking too much to go 3 for 3 (5 star ratings for both Jurassic Park and Timeline). This was still a fairly entertaining book. I think the science was there, for some reason Crichton fails to add in the element of horror or fear. This results in a big 'So, what?' factor.

Still a good book, but read Timeline or Jurassic Park first

Timeline
Jurassic Park
Philip
Jun 11, 2008 Philip rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi
I used to love Crichton. I got on a kick in high school where I read Jurassic Park, Terminal Man, Andromeda Strain, and Congo, and I liked them all. The stories and characters were overused stereotypes, but I always felt like I learned something because Crichton did such thorough research.

The last 2 I tried to read were Timeline and Prey. I couldn't even finish either one. The science was SOOO bad. I don't know if I've just gotten more sophisticated, or if he's jumped the shark, but I can't imag
Allen
Feb 10, 2008 Allen rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who are brain dead.
Probably the worst book I have ever read (and believe me, that's saying something!). Michael Crichton (who used to write so well!) offends every branch of the sciences in this book. Suspending disbelief is one thing, but to buy this book would require a frontal lobotomy. Unless you want to have your intelligence offended, don't bother.
Kimmy
Jun 02, 2012 Kimmy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If someone recommended to me a book about shape-shifting creatures who feed on human flesh to spawn and have a central mothership nest in the middle of a desert, I think I would have never, ever picked up that book and recommended Twilight to that person in return, out of sheer spite. Yes, and I think I would have picked Twilight over this kind of book in a heartbeat.

Well, what do ya know, those would have been the most horrible mistakes that I could have ever committed in my life. Well, never j
Gary
Sep 30, 2008 Gary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Like all Chrichton books, I really enjoyed this blend of modern technology, science, and fiction. It's an entertaining way to learn something new while enjoying a decent story. Yeah, it can be a slower read at times while you work thru the descriptive science, but I never felt that it distracted from the experience. Not as good as Jurassic Park, but a tad better than Sphere and much better than Congo, Timeline, & Eaters of the Dead.
AbbyF
Mar 13, 2017 AbbyF rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I chose this book for my science project and was pleasantly surprised by how good it was. I usually do not enjoy science books but I found this one very exciting and interesting. I would recommend it to all looking for a good science book to read.
Paul
Oct 25, 2007 Paul rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
This is the only book I have intentionally left on a plane after reading it. It is so mind-numbingly stupid as to defy belief. Its pretty sad when completely nonsensical science gets combined with a dumb story. Get either of them about right and I'm happy, get both of them terribly wrong and I want my money back.
Nathan
Feb 22, 2007 Nathan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of robots-will-take-over-the-world theories
I had to read this book for my second-semester artificial intelligence class because it deals with nano-bots that use swarm-intelligence--something we were studying at the time. Basically the idea is that large groups of individually "stupid" agents can potentially display seemingly intelligent behavior. Think about insects: ants are a good example. Each ant is incredibly stupid, and by itself would wander aimlessly and accomplish nothing. But a very simple set of pre-defined behaviors causes th ...more
Rhiannon Lawrence
Apr 27, 2008 Rhiannon Lawrence rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Hated this book! I am convinced that this was done by a ghost writer as it was not up to Crichton's normal detailed story telling. I was bored, I didn't believe the story, and the characters were flat for me. Gag.
Negativni
U uvodu autor opisuje kako će se nano tehnologija, molekularna biologija i umjetna inteligencija (kompjuterski programi koji sami uče) spojiti i tako će doći do stvaranja novog oblika života čije ponašanje i daljni razvoj ne možemo unaprijed predvidjeti. Upozorava da moramo biti vrlo pažljivi i unaprijed odrediti pravila za kontolu. Što bi se dogodilo da se takav život razvije prije nego li definiramo pravila i ograničenja? Tu kreće zaplet ovog romana.

Početak je obećavao. Događaje pratimo očima
~Bellegirl91~
Jan 11, 2017 ~Bellegirl91~ rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-books-i-own
(David and Jack talking about the rogue micro-robotic swarm outside the facility)

Jack: "...So what you're telling me is that this swarm reproduces, is self sustaining, learns from experience, has collective intelligence, and can innovate to solve problems."

David: "Yes."

Jack: "Which means for all practical purposes, it's alive...you realize that you're talking about a mechanical plague. that's what you've got here. It's just a bacterial plague, or a viral plague. Except it's mechanical organisms
Ashley
Ok so did jack succeed or what?!??

This was a very cloak and dagger type read. It was full of mysteries, and non-stop action! The lead character was a noble hero!! I don't think anyone could not root for him. But I am worried for the supporting characters... WHAT HAPPENED TO THEM!!!
The story was a little far fetched. But idk maybe it's something that could happen, all this technology getting better and better, more and more complicated EVERYDAY!!!

Kinda frightening when you think of it that way..
Rade
Jun 01, 2015 Rade rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ehh, it was alright. The concept was interesting but the characters were quite bland for my taste. The little kid who kept saying "It's not fair" was quite annoying. The ending I liked and the author explained just about everything that was going on and how it all went down.

Overall the subject of the book was interesting and raises some questions about nanotechnology but the book itself was about average.
Patricia
Dec 01, 2015 Patricia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Me encantó! Es muy ingenioso lo que propone y se ve que se basa en hechos científicos reales, hace tiempo que quería leer algo más del autor, sólo había leído Rescate en el tiempo que me encantó también.
Dan
Sep 07, 2007 Dan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: not
Shelves: sci-fi
A really good hard science fiction novel illustrating the potential danger of nanotechnology would be a welcome addition. Prey is not that novel.

Here’s the plot: Somewhere in the Nevada desert, a hi-tech corporation has been experimenting with nanotechnology swarms. Of course, the little critters get loose and begin evolving into fierce predators. Jack Foreman, an expert in designing computer programs that mimic the behavior of swarming animals, is called in to deal with the swarm. Jack’s wife
Jerry Jose
Jan 07, 2016 Jerry Jose rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was mentioned in an invited lecture, I had the fortune to attend today. Professor was reminiscing an old nano conference, where researchers were actually frightened over movie adaptation plans for the novel. Such was the impact of this book, scaring real scientists with science fiction.

Well, I gifted my copy to a friend in Nanotechnology then, which now on retrospection feels like a total evil move.
Daavid
Oct 18, 2016 Daavid rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Re-read after thirteen years. Still, it was an entertaining read. A techno-thriller, but I enjoyed reading the SF part of it: a bit of Biotechnology, added with Nanotechnology & Self-evolving Artificial Distributed Intelligence. Good suspense and pace. The theme of the book is not yet dated. The book's message, to us humankind, is about the dangers of inventions when Biotech and Nanotech converges with Computer Programming and AI.
Suggested reading, at least once. :)
Jonathan Swartz
I found Prey on the bookshelf of a lodge we were staying at over the weekend and thought it seemed like a good mindless vacation read.

I used to like Michael Chrichton (Juraissic Park, Disclosure) but hadn't read any in a while. Sadly, the poor writing quality kept jerking me out of what was otherwise a decent story. I don't know whether this is because his writing has gone downhill or my standards have just changed.

The premise is exciting enough (nano-robots gone rogue) but Chrichton keeps break
Titas (Emperor)
description

Because you see, when you write "Later I was able to see all this from the Camera footage" at the peak of life-n-death moments, there remains no imagination about the ending and it really ruins the book.
Nothing actually happens throughout the first half of a 500 page book other than a rabbit getting killed. Even after that it goes on to repeat a routine of "we have to go outside!...oh no!the bugs are coming!run inside!...one died" again and again. Finally it picks up just before it ends and lea
Cara
Oct 27, 2013 Cara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this book was pretty good, even though I'm not huge into science fiction. I've seen that lots of people review this book and say that the science is so farfetched that it's unbelievable and stupid, but honestly, it's fiction. It's not supposed to be perfectly believable. Suspension of disbelief is required when reading this. I personally just enjoy books that can entertain me, and this one did. It brought up some interesting "what if" concepts, even though they would never really happe ...more
Ryan
Aug 01, 2015 Ryan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a great book. Only the second Crichton novel I've read, but I'm really enjoying his style. It's a quick-read, and once the action starts, it barely lets up. Prey shows Crichton definitely knows how to write characters, dialogue, and a damn interesting plot.

The whole sci-fi aspect of nanobots is an intriguing one, and it certainly lends itself to the ideas of evolution and nature. The only "fault" with the book is, jeeze, there's a ton of science in it. Which isn't necessarily bad. He'll thr
Dec 03, 2014 Jennifer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Part sci-fi, part potential pre-apocalypse. If that is even possible.I enjoyed the juxtaposition of the stay at home dad vs. stay at home mom. Actually, I enjoyed the first part of the book, much better than the last part. I think it touched something I could relate to. I enjoyed the harried housedad immensely. I thought, I have seen that guy. I may not understand the techno babble so much, but I get the idea of nano technology. It could go really good, or really bad. Maybe there are just some t ...more
Mark Hebwood
This was easily Michael Crichton's weakest plot recently. The novel still manages to be engaging as Michael, even at his near-worst, always seems to be able to bring characters to life through dialogue rather than descriptions. The plot is fast-paced, the story-telling is engaging, but... as the plot unfolds, it is starting to verge on the ridiculous.

Swarms of nanoparticles imitate their hosts and create doppelgaengers that interact with real people. Yea right. Not that realism is a valid bench
Kiwi
The premises were all good: an interesting sci-fi concept and Crichton’s direct writing style (which I liked in Jurassic Park, Sphere, etc.) so Prey seemed a great fit for me. Unfortunately the book deteriorated into a B-horror movie script including the over the top finale ((view spoiler)).
Better stick with the much better Crichton’s earlier novels.
Elar
Apr 09, 2014 Elar rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
Idea behind the book is very catching and gives small introduction to machine learning and other IT techniques. But why is the main character intelligent in one moment and dumb as as a doorstop in next?
Reanna
Nov 05, 2016 Reanna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-reads
Review later when I actually have time!
Willmar Public Li...: Prey by Michael Crichton 1 1 Mar 22, 2017 07:59AM
Goodreads Librari...: Trade Paperback to add? 5 18 Feb 06, 2017 07:17AM
Play Book Tag: Prey by Michael Crichton - 3 stars 4 16 Nov 06, 2016 11:15AM
Unresolved questions? 2 43 Apr 09, 2015 06:38AM
  • Amazonia
  • Red Rabbit (Jack Ryan Universe, #3)
  • The Genesis Code
  • Acceptable Risk
  • Seize the Night (Moonlight Bay, #2)
  • The Cobra Event
  • Death Match
  • Camouflage
  • Cradle
  • The Astronaut's Wife
Michael Crichton (1942–2008) was one of the most successful novelists of his generation, admired for his meticulous scientific research and fast-paced narrative. He graduated summa cum laude and earned his MD from Harvard Medical School in 1969. His first novel, Odds On (1966), was written under the pseudonym John Lange and was followed by seven more Lange novels. He also wrote as Michael Dougla ...more
More about Michael Crichton...

“We think we know what we are doing. We have always thought so.” 95 likes
“They didn't understand what they were doing.
I'm afraid that will be on the tombstone of the human race.”
50 likes