Start by marking “Nobody's Daughter” as Want to Read:
Nobody's Daughter

Nobody's Daughter

3.55  ·  Rating Details  ·  44 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
In 1913 when she is sent to the Austen Home for Orphaned Girls, eleven-year-old Emily copes with her difficult circumstances with the help of the town librarian and the hope of finding her younger sister.
Published March 1st 1996 by Yearling (first published February 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Nobody's Daughter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nobody's Daughter

VJ
Emily's mother died giving birth to her baby sister. Emily's father, prostrate with grief, gave the baby away, blaming her for having caused the death of his beloved wife. Then, dad died. Emily was taken in by a maiden aunt and raised by her until her death. She was related to Emily's mother and thought poorly of Emily's father, who liked the drink a bit more than he should have.

After her aunt's death, Emily was placed in a privately-owned orphanage. She was only three when her mother died, and
Miss Amanda
gr 5-8 154 pgs

1913, New England. 12 year old Emily Hasbrouck has always been considered a burden ever since parents died. When the great aunt who took her in dies, Emily is alone and penniless since her great aunt decided to leave her money to the church and not to her. Emily is sent to live at the Austen Home for Orphan Girls and is told she should be greatful for it. Once there, Emily finds life miserable. The town girls call her a "hog" and torment her and everyone from the school teacher to
Shoshana
I read the sequel to this, Justice for Emily, as a kid, without knowing there was a book that came first. Although obviously there was, when you think about what happens in Justice for Emily. Ah, the blindness of childhood.

(Haha, could I be more pretentious?)

Anyway, Nobody's Daughter is really good. Emily is totally flawed but you're totally on her side; her friends are flawed but likable; the bad guys are totally totally hate-able; the mistress of the orphanage is nicely in the middle; the arc
Kristy
Sep 09, 2012 Kristy rated it liked it
This is a depressing book for younger children. I found myself remembering the time that I read this book in 7th grade. The book is definitely written for children. It is definitely an emotional book. I remember crying in class while I was reading it.

This is one of the most depressing books that I have ever read. I felt the need to reread it to see if it really was as depressing as I remembered it, it was.

I finally decided that I needed to reread the book. Though the book did not give me the em
Jomariem
Jul 29, 2012 Jomariem rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This was absolutely the most depressing children's book I have EVER read, and I do NOT recommend it for anybody! The poor girl just gets one hard knock after another, nearly every adult in the book and some of the other kids are very cruel to her, and there is no sequel to show that the child gets to be in a happy home later on (at the end, there is a HINT of a better life, but nothing more). After reading this book, I didn't even want to keep it, much less read it again. Simply horrible!
Jitsie
Dec 27, 2013 Jitsie rated it really liked it
This is the first young adult book that made me cry. A touching story.
Kirsten
Boy, this is bleaker than bleak. And an unexpected cliff-hanger ending. Now I have to find the sequel, in hopes of a little resolution.
Rojo
Aug 03, 2011 Rojo rated it liked it
it was ok...kinda sad though
Megan
Feb 29, 2016 Megan rated it really liked it
A very good book.
Abby Rose
Abby Rose marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2016
Sofia Enhorning
Sofia Enhorning marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2016
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2016
Kristine Hansen
Kristine Hansen marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2016
Carson
Carson marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2016
Heidi
Heidi added it
Jan 17, 2016
Lise Dubuc
Lise Dubuc marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2016
Kelsey Kost
Kelsey Kost marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2015
Sheridene Lenton
Sheridene Lenton marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2015
Nia
Nia rated it it was amazing
Sep 30, 2015
Sophie
Sophie marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2015
Claire
Claire rated it really liked it
Sep 21, 2015
Kyla
Kyla marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2015
Jenell Unger
Jenell Unger marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2015
Wendy
Wendy rated it really liked it
Aug 14, 2015
Imogen Reeves
Imogen Reeves marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2015
Jessie Lewis
Jessie Lewis marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2015
Bill Cash
Bill Cash marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2015
Emma Thompson
Emma Thompson rated it it was amazing
Jul 09, 2015
Angelina
Angelina marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Susan Beth Pfeffer was born in New York City in 1948. She grew up in the city and its nearby suburbs and spent summers in the Catskill Mountains. When she was six her father wrote and published a book on constitutional law, and Pfeffer decided that she, too, wanted to be a writer. That year she wrote her first story, about the love between an Oreo cookie and a pair of scissors. However, it wasn't ...more
More about Susan Beth Pfeffer...