Start by marking “Before the Lark” as Want to Read:
Before the Lark

Irene Bennett Brown

Before the Lark

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating Details ·  10 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
In the 1880's, hard-working twelve-year-old Jocey, tormented because of a disfiguring harelip, takes her invalid grandmother to live on the Kansas farm her drifter father has abandoned.
Published January 1st 1982 by Atheneum Books

To ask other readers questions about Before the Lark, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Before the Lark

Jo Butler
Apr 12, 2012 Jo Butler rated it really liked it
Born in 1876, Jocelyn Belle Royal lives with problems that few modern American children can imagine, and emotions that resonate today. Her mother died and her father drifted out of her life, so the girl lives with, and labors for, her washerwoman grandmother in Kansas City, Missouri. Jocey was born with a cleft lip; a flaw which can easily be repaired now, but in 1888 she can only endure feeling that her appearance repels everyone around her. She drops out of school before she was twelve because ...more
K.
May 12, 2010 K. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great little story about a girl born with a harelip in the slums of Kansas City--and how she survives. In her desire to get away from the humanity who hurts her so much, she drags her invalid grandmother to her father's (he's missing) farm in Kansas and just digs right in and begins farming.

She's an incredibly hard worker and has a lot of drive to make her little farm go. She also learns that not everyone will hate her because of her deformity. Those are the things that make the book special.

It
Rosamond
Jun 09, 2012 Rosamond rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012-read
Classic Bennett Brown! Ending was predictable, but I liked the story line. A little slow in some parts, but a delightful story.
Rozi Marsh
Mar 24, 2012 Rozi Marsh rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was one of the very first books I can remember reading....pretty much sealed my fate as an avid reader. I have never forgotten the courage that this girl showed. Great book!!!
Colleen
Colleen rated it really liked it
Dec 02, 2015
Dennis
Dennis rated it liked it
Mar 21, 2008
Lynne Mcgreevy
Lynne Mcgreevy rated it it was amazing
Mar 03, 2016
Mar 08, 2011 PWRL marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011-new
Large Print
Jaclyn
Jaclyn rated it really liked it
Jun 16, 2011
Laura rated it really liked it
Feb 11, 2016
Alfredia Haynes
Alfredia Haynes rated it liked it
Oct 06, 2014
Elizabeth O'Rourke
Elizabeth O'Rourke marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2011
Gena Bridges
Gena Bridges marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2013
Magibabble
Magibabble marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2015
Kathy Martinez
Kathy Martinez marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2015
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2016
I was born in Topeka, Kansas but from the age of nine, Oregon’s Willamette Valley has been home. As a child in one-room schools where I was often the only student in my class, I read, reread, and lived vicariously books like HEIDI, CADDIE WOODLAWN, MAMA’S BANK ACCOUNT, and LITTLE WOMEN. Jo in LITTLE WOMEN and Katrin in MAMA’S BANK ACCOUNT, writing away in their dusky attics, fueled my own dream to ...more
More about Irene Bennett Brown...