Against a Crimson Sky (The Poland Trilogy, # 2)

Against a Crimson Sky (The Poland Trilogy, # 2)

3.62 of 5 stars 3.62  ·  rating details  ·  287 ratings  ·  50 reviews
A magnificent epic, Against a Crimson Sky is an unforgettable tale of love, valor, and the enduring strength of the human spirit, set against the backdrop of war-torn Poland at the cusp of the nineteenth century.

The year is 1794, and the beautiful and resilient Countess Anna Maria Berezowska has narrowly escaped death amidst the chaos caused by the violent dissolution of...more
Paperback, 2, 456 pages
Published April 27th 2014 by Hussar Quill Press (first published August 8th 2006)

Win a Copy of This Book

• Against a Crimson Sky by James Conroyd Martin
    Against a Crimson Sky: A Novel
    Autographed first edition hardcover! The continuation of the sweeping story of young Countess Anna Maria, introduced in the epic PUSH NOT THE RIVER, a…more
    Giveaway dates: Jul 09 - Aug 01, 2014
    4 copies available, 148 people requesting
    Countries available: US
  • Friend Reviews

Jennifer Coe
    I really enjoyed Push Not The River, which was based upon a diary and true events. I was hoping the follow up book would be just as good. I was sorely disappointed. The story isn't based upon any true events, and the author spends too much time (in my opinion) rehashing the war events. I lost interest about half way through and I put it back on my book shelf with out finishing it, this isn't common for me, I usually finish reading a book, even if it isn't my favorite.
    Hayley
    This is the sequel to "Push Not The River," which was excellent. It is not worth reading. Pretend it doesn't exist. The startling difference may lie in the fact that the first novel was based on historic fact, in the form of the heroine's actual diary, translated by one of her descendants; whereas, this was written by the author's own story-telling abilities, which are virtually nonexistent.
    Cheryl Lachapelle
    Jun 26, 2007 Cheryl Lachapelle rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
    Recommends it for: yes
    Follow up to Push Not The River. I am of Polish descent so the story is interesting to me. I also love historical novels so I enjoy that part of the novel too.
    Ariela
    As a sequel to “Push Not the River,” this book continues the story of the Polish Countess Anna Maria Berezowska. The author began writing about her after discovering her unpublished diary, which recounted her experiences as a 17-year-old orphan who falls in love with her handsome neighbor Jan Stelnicki, but is brutally raped and married off before their love can be realized. Behind her misfortune is none other than her cousin Zofia, and “Push Not the River” follows Anna up until the Russian army...more
    Merry
    I just liked this book. The characters from the beginning, Push Not the River, got my attention and I immediately decided I would read this sequel. Though not as engaging as the first book, this one did seem to wrap up the story line which was nice, so as not to leave me wondering what happened next, but it also went into great detail of Napoleon and his war efforts to secure all of Europe as his empire. Though small in stature, Napoleon could convince thousands to march to his dreams and eventu...more
    Barb
    'Push Not the River' was James Conroyd Martin's first book about Countess Anna Maria Berezowska. Which was based on Anna's own personal diary.

In 'Against a Crimson Sky' Martin creates for the reader a fictional continuation of Anna Maria's story from his own imagination.

I was not as satisfied with this story, I was disappointed to learn that this book was entirely fictional, which I failed to realize until I had already started reading it.

I'm glad I read it but this was not as moving as Push...more
    Kimberlee
    This is the sequel to Push Not the River which is a novel based on the diaries of a woman who lived through tumultuous years of civil war and foreign invasion in Poland. This sequel, however, is not based on the diaries but is the author’s continuation based on his knowledge of the characters and his studies of the era. Because of this, the book lacked a lot of the authenticity that the first one has which, for me, definitely dampened its appeal. It also lacked a really compelling plot, it seeme...more
    Y. Isabel
    This book wasn't as enjoyable or sweeping as PNTR. Some parts of the book read more like a history book, which was boring to read and it dragged a lot.
    Shyla
    I was really excited to read this next chapter in Anna's story. And it was mostly not a dispipointment. I say mostly only becuase of two main reasons. The first is that I knew it was not based on her diary or any factual accounts as was the first book. And secondly the book was too far sweeping as far as the time line went. It covered too much time and I felt the author dragged Anna's story out just so that he could include key points in history. Other then that the book was very well written, I...more
    Dawn
    I just loved these two books! The first book was based one a journal, diary, and the second on the authors imagination. So obviously the first is more historically accurate about people's lives; however, I feel the author did a beautiful job continuing there lives as they would probably have unfolded. And he added a lot more war sciences most likely to keep in the theme of the original book of a historical novel. For those who don't like the war stuff it is easy to skim...wonderful book, tastefu...more
    Venessa
    I didn't like this as well as Push Not The River in part, I'm sure, because this wasn't based on anything, whereas the first was based on two diaries. Still, it was enjoyable for the most part and a quick read. My mind wandered during all of the battle scenes. This book takes place during Napoleon's wars, and traces the lives of the characters over a time span of twenty years. I felt that much of the plot was a bit far fetched but entertaining; predictable at times, whereas the real stories in t...more
    Patti Raney
    I really enjoy reading books from this author. I didn't before know that I am so interested in the history of Poland. This novel tells about Napoleonic era from a perspective of the Poles, and about the family of Anna Maria Berezowska Steinicki. Four stars instead of five because I didn't like it quite as well as Push Not the River. Can't wait to read the Warsaw Conspiracy....that will finalize their story.
    Tanja
    I liked push not the river better, but it was nice to have Anna's story gain some closure. I thought that the path the characters took in this story seemed believable. They had to withstand many hardships. It was a story of every kind of love: True love, lust love, unrequited love, convenient love, love for power, love for friend, and parental love. And how this love changes us and makes life worth living for.
    Gaile
    This one was a disappointment after "Push Not The River," I gave five stars to that one but this sequel about Napoleon Bonaparte invasion of Russia is a real downer. I did not like this one. There is still a third book to this sequel. I think the writer should have stopped with the first one. I have no desire to even read the third. I understand now why the libraries never bothered to order it.
    Renee
    This was the second book to "Push Not the River." This was not the better of the two - it was not based on a real diary (like the first) but the author took the characters from the first and wrote what he think they would do during the Napoleonic Era. All in all - a good series, but the second book went too deep into the politics of the era and pulled away from the actual characters.
    Bob Lambert
    My expectations were not met after reading Push Not The River. The story was very slow moving and I found myself skipping paragraphs and then pages to get to something interesting. Towards the end however, when Bonaparte had the Polish armies supplementing his French forces, the action was more lively. I almost stopped reading the book about a third into it because I was bored.
    Mieczyslaw Kasprzyk
    I enjoyed the book but, as with it's predecessor, I felt the characters were a little too good to be true. The storyline was simple and a little far-fetched in parts (the secret society just doesn't ring true - though I'm not saying it isn't). This would probably make a good movie where we don't really need depth of character, just action.
    Laura Mcewen-miller
    loved the continuation-sorry It took me so long to find and read(darn Borders) the story flowed as well as the first and felt I was back with friends again- the characters were so memorable it didn't matter that I read the first book 8 years ago-Anna,Jan and Zophia were so well written,Martin obviously knows his subjects and Polish history well.
    Lindsey
    Sequel following family in Poland. Not as good as the first but did have its moments. Fascinating backdrop an informative about the times transporting the past to the present.

Favorite quote: It was a kiss that transported her to an autumn meadow long ago in Halicz, a kiss that would carry her forward all of her days.
    Amber
    I did enjoy this second book, however I must say I liked Push Not The River a little better. It was a tad too heavy on the specifics regarding the strategic war efforts of Napoleon. I do appreciate the history lesson but the first book integrated it better for me personally than the second. Still, a very good read.
    Brittany
    I received this book for free via the Goodreads First Reads program.

This book was wonderful. I loved the setting (Napoleon's era), and I loved that it followed multiple couples - each with a different story and ending. It wasn't cliched, and the ending was good.

I'd definitely recommend it.
    KyneWynn
    Fascinating look at Polish political history clothed in a story. It felt sometimes like it was a history book with a story added than a story with the history seamlessly woven through the story. Still although I felt like it plodded along in places it was an interesting book.
    Adrienne Wilson
    Didn't finish because it really was too political. I LOVED the first novel, Push Not The River, but this one really didn't follow it. The characters were not as developed, I didn't care for all of the history information, and was quite bored...therefore...didn't finish it.
    Alexis
    The sequel to Push Not the River is not based on solid fact, unlike the first. The author did a great job extending the characters' lives without any actual information (this one is much more fiction than historical). I like this book, but the first one was much better.
    Stacy
    I liked it even better than the ist one because it didn't have the sordid details of Zofia's sex life. It wasn't all smiles but I felt like it was realistic for the time period. I felt like the ending was karmic for Zofia but I still felt bad for her.
    Meagan
    I was so disappointed with this book. Aside from the first chapter, which could have easily been added to the end of the first book, I had to force myself to continue reading. There was so much lacking for me on so many levels-not recommended.
    Jennie
    I didn't love this one like I did its prequel - too many war stories that were rushed at some points and strung out at others. Towards the end I just wanted the happily ever after. But a good read, for sure.
    Marti
    I was expecting so much more after Push Not the River. I finished this book, but it was disappointing. If you read Push No the River, you'll be tempted to read this, but really I wouldn't bother.
    Lauren
    Okay so it wasn't exactly as good as PNTR but it was decent and kept me reading. I'm looking forward to reading more from this author, wether it is about Anna Maria Beresowski or not.
    Karen
    Wasn't as good as Push not the River.....that one was based on Anna's diary whereas this one is the author guessing what happened later based on the family's geneology, etc.
    Goodreads Feedback: changing a book photo 6 146 Dec 24, 2012 03:12PM
    • Portraits of an Artist
    • The Cost of Courage
    • Hottentot Venus: A Novel
    • Risk of Ruin
    • Beyond the Storm
    • Revenge of the Rose
    • The General's Mistress (Numinous World, #4)
    • The Amber Room: The Fate of the World's Greatest Lost Treasure
    • Annette Vallon: A Novel of the French Revolution
    • The Exiled (War of the Roses, #2)
    • The Liberty Flower
    • Broken Promises: A Novel of the Civil War
    • The Short, Strange Life of Herschel Grynszpan: A Boy Avenger, a Nazi Diplomat, and a Murder in Paris
    • The Curtain - A Novel
    • Lucia: A Venetian Life in the Age of Napoleon
    • Sex After . . .: Women Share How Intimacy Changes as Life Changes
    • Teller of Tales
    • The Wicked Game (The Wicked Game, #1)
    James Conroyd Martin is the author of Push Not the River, a novel based on the diary of Anna Berezowska, a Polish countess who lived through the rise and fall of the Third of May Constitution. After working on the project for some years without raising interest within the publishing community, Martin self-published in 2001. Just one year later, St. Martin’s Press purchased the book and released a...more
    More about James Conroyd Martin...
    Push Not the River The Warsaw Conspiracy