Start by marking “Is Your Lord Large Enough?: How C. S. Lewis Expands Our View of God” as Want to Read:
Is Your Lord Large Enough?: How C. S. Lewis Expands Our View of God

Is Your Lord Large Enough?: How C. S. Lewis Expands Our View of God

3.88  ·  Rating Details  ·  26 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
"Every year you grow, you will find me bigger." --Aslan to Lucy in Prince Caspian C. S. Lewis was, of course, a brilliant apologist, and his books contain much to feed your intellect. But Lewis was also very concerned about Christian formation and strongly desired to help believers deepen their faith and broaden their vision of God. In this book Peter Schakel opens to you ...more
Published January 29th 2008 by IVP Books

To ask other readers questions about Is Your Lord Large Enough?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Is Your Lord Large Enough?

Kris
Jan 29, 2016 Kris rated it really liked it
Quite lovely, but too short, and too watered-down.

Well written and organized, but this felt too simplified compared to other studies on Lewis I've read. Before I knew it, it was over. To illustrate his examples, the author mostly used the Narnia Chronicles (perhaps because they are the most popular?). I suppose I can't blame him for that, but I still wish he would have gone further to deepen his examples and diversify his analyses.

However, I can see this being very useful for discussions, book c
Bob
Jul 07, 2015 Bob rated it really liked it
Is Your Lord Large Enough?, Peter J. Schakel. Downers Grove: InterVarsity Press, 2008.

Summary: This book looks at the contribution Lewis made, particularly through the way his books engage the imagination, to the spiritual formation of Christians, exploring a number of the matters crucial to their growth in Christ.

Peter J. Schakel has written a number of fine books on C.S. Lewis including one on Till We Have Faces (Reason and Imagination in C.S. Lewis: A Study of Till We Have Faces) that I found
Joel
Sep 24, 2013 Joel rated it it was ok
I didn't get too far into the book. I guess I just don't understand the rationale behind writing a book about what some one else said. I wanted to like it but I found myself wishing I could just take the time that I spent reading this book and use it to read the books that were being talked about. In many ways I wished Schakel had something to add to Lewis' commentary but I never came across anything that clarified, provoked, or challenged the way that C. S. Lewis can. In fairness, I don't think ...more
Katie W
I've really enjoyed all the chapters I've read so far, and they've given me lots to think about and usually provide new perspectives, new ways of looking at things that I hadn't considered before.

I like how each chapter is on a different topic so you can pick up anywhere - such as on a subject that currently interests you. There are so many interesting topics to choose from. It's neat to see how various works and thoughts by Lewis relate to a given topic, and I also like the discussion question
Stuart
May 09, 2012 Stuart rated it liked it
A good look at several themes and ideas of Christian thought running through CS Lewis' books. At times the writing feels like an academic paper, especially with the cold, abrupt start the first two chapters seem to follow, but eventually the pacing evens out. Recommended for more serious fans of CS Lewis, or for those who've read more than The Chronicles of Naria or Mere Christianity.
Rivkah.
Sep 03, 2011 Rivkah. rated it it was amazing
Love love loved this book! It gave a lot of insite into Lewis's way of thinking about life, and more so after life. It stirred up some questions I had about my own views on Christianity as well as giving me insite into Lewis's. Although I don't agree with everything that Lewis believed, I do think the book is well worth reading.
Casey
Jul 23, 2009 Casey rated it it was amazing
This is a fabulous book. Whether you are new to faith or have been reading the Bible for years, this book has something for you. Mr. Schackel interjects the works of Lewis at the end of each chapter, which I really liked. I read it twice and will probably read it again some day.
Joyce
Joyce rated it liked it
Apr 29, 2016
 Julie
Julie marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2016
Erica Christy
Erica Christy is currently reading it
Mar 14, 2016
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2016
JB
JB marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2016
David Gillespie
David Gillespie marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2016
Emmie
Emmie marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2016
Helen
Helen marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2015
Julie Reed
Julie Reed marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2015
Matthew
Matthew rated it it was amazing
Jun 19, 2015
Cindy Mouw
Cindy Mouw rated it it was amazing
Jun 01, 2015
Charissa
Charissa marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2015
Catherine
Catherine is currently reading it
Jan 05, 2015
Eric Nygren
Eric Nygren marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2015
Luke Liddell
Luke Liddell rated it it was amazing
Nov 13, 2014
Felycia Aranda
Felycia Aranda marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2014
Darlene Magill
Darlene Magill marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2014
Darlene Harris
Darlene Harris rated it it was amazing
Jun 01, 2014
Joy Rash
Joy Rash marked it as to-read
May 26, 2014