Start by marking “Rooster's Off to See the World” as Want to Read:
Rooster's Off to See the World

Rooster's Off to See the World

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  609 ratings  ·  74 reviews
"Striking illustrations in glowing colors enhance a simple tale about a rooster who impulsively sets out on a journey and is joined in turn by two cats, three frogs, four turtles, and five fish. . . . Counting boxes in the upper corners of the pages recording the presence of each set of animals as they join the trek and their absence as they leave it, make this a graphic l ...more
Published June 1st 1999 by Turtleback Books (first published 1971)

To ask other readers questions about Rooster's Off to See the World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rooster's Off to See the World

Trent Ross
So... I hate to spoil a predictable kids book but: I thought the roster should have followed through on his plan. What kind of lesson is this teaching children that you can just decide to do something and then not do it? Won't always have that luxury in life. If you make a plan don't back out half way. See it through. Come on Eric Carle I expected better from you.
Linda
I found this book on a sale table, and of course snapped it up. (Eric Carle!) Saturday, my youngest granddaughter spent the day with me, and I got to read it to her. She’ll be three this summer, can already count past ten, so it was perfect. A rooster is lonely and wants to go for a walk. Along the way he meets a few animals and invites them to come along. It’s a counting book with beautiful full-of-life colorful collages (Eric Carle) and a repeat book. First there are two cats, then three frogs ...more
Sharlet Mullen
The book "Rooster's Off to See the World" by Eric Carle is a good book for children. It has colorful pictures and also is a good reader for kids to read on their own. In the upper right corner of the pages is a counting up grid, as each animal joins the journey the grid grows. Half way through the book as the traveling animals get discouraged, hungry and scared the grid moves to the upper left corner as it counts down the animals as they leave.
I love the colorful rooster in the story all the ot
Jazzmarie Vedrine
Eric Carle has now become one of my favorite children's authors. I would not have caught his concept in this book, if I did not read his short synopsis about it. This book is based on the concept of math; addition and subtraction. This book was designed to introduce this through the use of the animals going on a journey. I loved it and would use this book to help with introducing math and in a fun way to children.

CREATIVE EXPERIENCE:
This book could be used in addition to other teaching tools a
Ali Wilcox
I absolutely love this book. Everything you could want in a counting book, this book has it. Some counting books seem to lack a good story, but "The Rooster Who Set Out To See the World" definitely does not. I love the story-line of this book and think many kids would too. While reading this story I always was wondering what kind of animals the rooster was going to pick up next. This could be a good things for kids to do as well as they are reading. One thing I extremely liked was that not only ...more
Christina Swain
This story can be a great one for students. Through this story, Carle can teach students counting numbers based off figures/pictures and overall becoming acquainted with numbers. This story is told in a sequence. To elaborate, as the rooster adds on characters, it is always reiterated to the readers how many of each animal is now present. This will be an excellent use in the classroom.
Eva Kelly
I love this book. It's bright and pretty. And I can read a lot of the words in it. It looks like "The Very Hungry Caterpilar" and "The Very Lonely Firefly." Tanya says it's by the same guy. But this one doesn't have any lights in it or anything. It's just a book with pictures.
Candice
Jul 03, 2011 Candice rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Sophie
Shelves: picture-books
Beautiful illustrations in vivid colors tell the story of a rooster who sets off to see the world. Rooster doesn't get very far when he becomes lonely and meets two cats whom he invites to join him. The two cats are soon joined by three frogs, four turtles, and five fish. Up to this point, each two-page spread features just the animals, along with the text and, in the upper right corner, a block diagram of the number of animals. However, once it begins to get dark, the animals reconsider their d ...more
Ashlyn Barker
This book helps students become comfortable with counting while rooster takes a journey. The illustrations are colorful and pleasing to the eye. This would make a nice predictable text for emerging readers or a quick read aloud the beginning of the kindergarten year.
Dani Paiz
One roaster sets off to the world but decides without proper planning he better just go home. The book is good for counting from 1-5. I'd recommend it for ages 2-4. It's good for vocabulary and print awareness.
Emerson
A classic tale of what happens if you don't plan your vacations well (so my mom says). A story of regret (so my dad says). What do I say? READ IT AGAIN, because I like frogs, fish, turtles, cats, and most of all, the rooster. This book has a bit more pathos than the average Eric Carle, because poor rooster just doesn't think things through before he heads off on his grand adventure. He meets some new friends on the way, and even though he doesn't see much of the world, he's learned some importan ...more
Laura Mincey
Eric Carle does a great job writing a creative story and using math within the plot. The main character, Rooster plans to see the whole world, but doesn't want to go alone. So, he sets off on his journey to find friends to help him along the way. He runs into one animal, then two, then three, and so on. After he has a large group of different animals with him to travel the world, they all decide the journey is too hard to take--there's nowhere to sleep and it's too cold! So the animals return ba ...more
Bonnie Chang
Rooster is off to see the world and gathers companions as he travels. First rooster meets one animal, then two, next three and so forth. Children will love prediction what animals will join rooster next and how many. Eventually when the band of animals realize that they are unprepared for the journey to see the world they all slowly begin to wander back home. Children will have a wonderful time counting the animals as they join the roosters and counting down the animals as they all go home. This ...more
Ms Threlkeld
A good book for talking with kids about going on adventures, the value in planning, and how nice it is to be home.
Anna Venanzi
Rooster wants to explore and find and travel the world. Along his journey he runs into two cats, three frogs, four turtles, and five fish. By one by one his new friends decided to head home because the weather was too cold, tired, and hungry. As they continue walking everyone went home, first it was the five fish, four turtles, three frogs, and than two cats. Rooster was alone again, but he figured the next day he would continue his adventure.
Type of Book: Picture book and Primary
Rating: four
Saby
Asho
Somehow I missed out on reading this Eric Carle book when I was a kid, but I'm glad I discovered it in time for my son to enjoy it. The illustrations are beautiful. I love Carle's paintings, I found them absorbing as a child and still do today. This book has a neat story, too. Rooster gradually collects friends for his trip around the world and then must say goodbye to them as they decide not to go traveling after all. It's all about addition and subtraction. The only reason this isn't 5 stars f ...more
Amanda
I like Carle's illustrations. The story was lacking, even for an easy beginning reader.
Sarah Stumphf
Really great, so many ways to get your child involved with reading this book.
Carrie Marie Lawson Brewer
A story to help young children get acquainted with numbers
Alison Slack
Language Feature: counting and animal names.
Sara Larson
Genre: Informational/Modern fantasy
Age: 5 and up
Summary: One day, a rooster wakes up and decides that he wants to travel the world. Along the way, he meets several animal friends who join him on his adventure. After traveling for awhile, the rooster begins to miss his comfortable perch and daily meal. He decides to go back home. Eric Carle's unique art appears on every page of this story.
Reflection: This is a book I have read to my kids, and we all love it. I pretty much love all of Eric Carle'
Vanita Williams
I recommend this book for the 1st-3rd grade classroom. The rooster in this book is joined one at a time by other animals. When it begins to get dark, animals leave one by one to return home. There are increases and decreases that are depicted on a graph. This is a great book because it helps students get more familiar with graphs and why we use graphs. This book is a great introduction to addition and subtraction concepts because the rooster is joined by animals (addition) and animals leave him ...more
Kerri Harshaw
A young rooster wants to see the world, and begins to gather friends to join him. The text counts up from 1 to 5 and back down to one (with a one to one correspondence for each number-represented by animals). The animals realize they were not prepared to travel the world, so they travel back to the safety of their own homes. A good moral of being prepared for long tasks. The illustrations throughout this book are beautiful, bright, and bold. A wonderful combination of text and illustrations.
Ashley
On Friday (Oct 25) I helped a woman pick out a whole bunch of books for 3 year old girl and 2 year old boy she baby sat for and picked out book for my 2 year old in the process. I read a few different books by Eric Carle and found myself not liking one (the tiny seed), really liking another (10 little rubber duckies & Does a Kangaroo Have a Mother, Too?) and find the rest just okay(Have You Seen My Cat?).
My daughter doesn't know the word rooster, fireflies or turtle but she knew cat, fish a
Ayoca
This book can be used for grades first through fourth. It can be used with math. This book is about a rooster who decided he wanted to see the world. He also invited two cats, three frogs, four turtles, and five fish to come along with him. But as it began to get dark outside, and everyone was tired and hungry they decided to turn around and head back home. Since the rooste didn't see any of the world, he had a nice dream about it.
Randy
Featuring Carle's characteristic wit and beautiful collages, this is a surefire winner with both pre-readers with parents and early readers tackling it on their own. In addition to a well-rounded story about a rooster's foray into the wide world, the book includes a basic concept as it counts upwards to and downwards from five as he encounters new friends along the way (extra credit for adding all the animals together).
Brenda Cregor
Children's books with great stories are in a class all their own, but when a children's book can tell a story and teach an academic concept, I am "all eyes".
This story works in conjunction with the illustrations to show, with graphics, the "addition" and "subtraction" of the characters.
It will not win a Pulitzer Prize, but it may help form a child's first concept of "plus" and "minus".
Michelle King
Rooster's off to see the world was very entertaining. In this book the rooster is headed off to see the world and pick up new friends along the way. The rooster did not plan for the trip very well. All of the friends starts to turn back because they are hungry and tired, so Rooster turns back also. He took the trip in his mind. This book would be great to read at story time.
James Vickery
This a great book that tells about a rooster's journey around the world. The story also includes a list of animals that the rooster encountered that could be great to have students retell the story or to develop their math skills by graphing the different animals that the rooster saw on his journey. This book is also great for science because it shares each animal's habitat.
  • The Greedy Python
  • The Lamb and the Butterfly
  • Ten Black Dots
  • Spaghetti and Meatballs for All!
  • Cookie's Week
  • The EARTH Book
  • Commotion in the Ocean (Picture Books)
  • I'm Gonna Like Me: Letting Off a Little Self-Esteem
  • The Quilt Story
  • Miss Bindergarten Gets Ready for Kindergarten
  • Anno's Counting Book
  • The Crayon Box that Talked
Eric Carle (born June 25, 1929) is a children's book author and illustrator, most famous for his book The Very Hungry Caterpillar, which has been translated into over 30 languages. Since The Very Hungry Caterpillar was published in 1969, Eric Carle has illustrated more than seventy books, many best sellers, most of which he also wrote, and more than 71 million copies of his books have sold around ...more
More about Eric Carle...
The Very Hungry Caterpillar The Very Busy Spider The Grouchy Ladybug The Very Quiet Cricket From Head to Toe