Start by marking “Little Firefly: An Algonquian Legend (Native American Legends)” as Want to Read:
Little Firefly: An Algonquian Legend (Native American Legends)

Little Firefly: An Algonquian Legend (Native American Legends)

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  26 ratings  ·  6 reviews
Magnificent illustrations and captivating texts tell the legends of Africa, Asia, the Caribbean, the Americas, and Native America.
Published August 1st 1996 by Troll Communications (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Little Firefly, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Little Firefly

Kristine Pratt
In a sort of Cinderella story, we see Little Burnt One, who resolves it would be better to be servant to The Invisible One than to take her sisters' abuse another day. I felt there was a little less about the Algonquins in the facts at the end, but was fascinated by the details. I loved picturing this story as I read it.
Lorie
With similarities to Cinderella, Little Firefly becomes the wife of the great hunter who is invisible to all but his wife. Little Firefly is treated badly by her sisters who make her do all of the work for the family. They call her names and tell her that she will never amount to anything. Little Firefly eventually goes off to find "The Invisible One" after her mother's spirit tells her that she will find happiness there. This Algonquain legend could be used with students for studying character ...more
Cheryl
I definitely enjoyed the legend, a great combination of a familiar story with a definite difference. I also enjoyed reading the information about the Algonquian in the back.

I preferred the more sophisticated rendition The Rough-Face Girl.
Lori
A Cinderella type story. The tale is told similarly in "The Rough-Face Girl" who's illustrations I prefer, but this has a few details in the story which are not told in that one and a nice added history of the Algonquian people at the end.
Theresa
Algonquin Cinderella legend with history and pictures about the culture
Cassidy Mayhew
I loved this book as a kid:)
Stephanie Lingenfelter
Stephanie Lingenfelter marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2014
Grfan401
Grfan401 marked it as to-read
Nov 04, 2014
Dana Rector
Dana Rector marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2014
Emily
Emily added it
Oct 09, 2014
Jamie Gardner
Jamie Gardner marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2014
Emma Jones
Emma Jones marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2014
Mrskena
Mrskena marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2014
Caleb O'brien
Caleb O'brien marked it as to-read
May 10, 2014
Isabel
Isabel marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2014
Kamel
Kamel marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2014
Tony
Tony marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2014
Kkb
Kkb marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2014
Kerry
Kerry marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2013
Kayla-Jhoe Schmitz
Kayla-Jhoe Schmitz marked it as to-read
Oct 28, 2013
Kelly
Kelly marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Turquoise Boy: A Navajo Legend (Native American Legends) Dancing Drum: A Cherokee Legend (Native American Legends) Clamshell Boy: A Makah Legend (Native American Legends) Ka-Ha-Si and The Loon: An Eskimo Legend (Native American Legends) Quillworker: A Cheyenne Legend (Native American Legends)