Start by marking “Little Firefly: An Algonquian Legend (Native American Legends)” as Want to Read:
Little Firefly: An Algonquian Legend (Native American Legends)

Little Firefly: An Algonquian Legend (Native American Legends)

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  29 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Magnificent illustrations and captivating texts tell the legends of Africa, Asia, the Caribbean, the Americas, and Native America.
Published August 1st 1996 by Troll Communications (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Little Firefly, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Little Firefly

Kristine Pratt
In a sort of Cinderella story, we see Little Burnt One, who resolves it would be better to be servant to The Invisible One than to take her sisters' abuse another day. I felt there was a little less about the Algonquins in the facts at the end, but was fascinated by the details. I loved picturing this story as I read it.
Kelly H. (Maybedog)
This is a wonderful series of books that tells a Native American traditional story and follows it with information about those people including history and how they lived traditionally.

This Algonquian story is very similar to cinderella but the end has her going to him and the test taking place immediately. She never returns to her evil sisters who burned her. (Yes, there's even a fire.) I like it much better.
Lorie
With similarities to Cinderella, Little Firefly becomes the wife of the great hunter who is invisible to all but his wife. Little Firefly is treated badly by her sisters who make her do all of the work for the family. They call her names and tell her that she will never amount to anything. Little Firefly eventually goes off to find "The Invisible One" after her mother's spirit tells her that she will find happiness there. This Algonquain legend could be used with students for studying character ...more
Cheryl
I definitely enjoyed the legend, a great combination of a familiar story with a definite difference. I also enjoyed reading the information about the Algonquian in the back.

I preferred the more sophisticated rendition The Rough-Face Girl.
Lori
A Cinderella type story. The tale is told similarly in "The Rough-Face Girl" who's illustrations I prefer, but this has a few details in the story which are not told in that one and a nice added history of the Algonquian people at the end.
Theresa
Algonquin Cinderella legend with history and pictures about the culture
Cassidy Mayhew
I loved this book as a kid:)
Gina
Gina marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2015
Kathy
Kathy marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2015
Anna
Anna marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2015
Erika
Erika marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2015
Kathryn
Kathryn marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2015
Nancy
Nancy marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2015
Leslie
Leslie marked it as to-read
May 26, 2015
Misty
Misty marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2015
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2015
Samantha
Samantha marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2015
Leah
Leah marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2015
Miri
Miri marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2015
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2014
Stephanie Lingenfelter
Stephanie Lingenfelter marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2014
Grfan401
Grfan401 marked it as to-read
Nov 04, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Turquoise Boy: A Navajo Legend (Native American Legends) Dancing Drum: A Cherokee Legend (Native American Legends) Ka-Ha-Si and The Loon: An Eskimo Legend (Native American Legends) Clamshell Boy: A Makah Legend (Native American Legends) Quillworker: A Cheyenne Legend (Native American Legends)