Start by marking “Lily and the Wooden Bowl” as Want to Read:
Lily and the Wooden Bowl

Lily and the Wooden Bowl

4.29 of 5 stars 4.29  ·  rating details  ·  31 ratings  ·  6 reviews
In this hauntingly beautiful story about the rewards of kindness and honesty, a young girl in Japan promises her dying grandmother that she will never remove the lacquered bowl the old woman placed on her head to protect her from those who would take advantage of her beauty.
Published March 10th 1997 by Yearling (first published September 1st 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Lily and the Wooden Bowl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lily and the Wooden Bowl

Sabeen
The story reminds me a lot of cinderella and fairly tales. It was very fun to read. The story was presented in a very unique way. Personally it made me tap into my imagination and brought back childhood memories of the fairy tales i used to read and hear about while growing up.
Kiah Ballard
This was an absolutely beautiful story. The illustrations had vivid colors and was beautifully drawn. I also loved the happy ending. This story however was a bit lengthy. So for young children I don't think it would be a good idea to try to read it all at once. I would use this book to talk about actions. I would ask the children if what they thought the characters were doing was right or wrong and why.
Amanda Day
This is a cute story about Japanese girl whose grandmother left her with a few things that were suppose to protect her after she died. One of which was a bowl to hide her face with to keep her beauty from people who may want to hurt her. She ends up falling for a man and they have to go through the tricks of his mother to get married.
Natalie
I read this book to my fourth and fifth graders as part of a lesson on rising and falling action. They loved the story and enjoyed the figurative language.
Brenna
Beautiful illustrations and a lovely story.
Maimai
i think its a nice story !
DeLain
DeLain marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2015
Lauren M
Lauren M marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2015
John Counts
John Counts marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2015
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2015
Mandy Moll
Mandy Moll marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2015
Aga Cook
Aga Cook marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2015
Ihavenofriends2920
Ihavenofriends2920 marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2014
Jenny
Jenny marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2014
Rico Williams
Rico Williams marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2014
Becky Sirag
Becky Sirag is currently reading it
Sep 25, 2014
Famouss Ashhcashh
Famouss Ashhcashh is currently reading it
Oct 08, 2014
Albert Collier
Albert Collier marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Minty: A Story of Young Harriet Tubman Smoky Mountain Rose: An Appalachian Cinderella Ben Franklin: His Wit and Wisdom from a to Z Baby Flo: Florence Mills Lights up the Stage Abe Lincoln: His Wit and Wisdom from A-Z