A Lie of the Mind

A Lie of the Mind

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  639 ratings  ·  21 reviews
Dramatizes how individuals misperceive the world.
Paperback, Acting Edition, 101 pages
Published October 1st 2010 by Dramatists Play Service, Inc. (first published 1986)

To ask other readers questions about A Lie of the Mind, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Lie of the Mind

Brixton
On pg 38, Tonto meets Snoop-Dogg (please mentally add as many [sic]s as grammatically necessary): "You-- You a love. You-- You are only that. Only. You don' know. Only love. Good. You. Mother. You. Always love. Always. But he lies to me. Like I'm gone. Not here. Lies and tellz me iz for love. Iz not for love! Iz pride!"

It is dialogue like this which contributed to me taking a full month to read something which, if seen in the theatre, would have played out in two hours. I must conclude that atte...more
علی
Love, honesty and pain, but not hollywood cliche at all!
Reading what so ever written by Shepard means going through a shortened social history of America after ww II, and up till the end of 20.century. Plots are so simple and dialogues are not very much sophisticated. Maybe some of works by Shepard are not as interesting as the others, but for those whom are interested in sociology, and drama as writing-art, will enjoy reading or watching works by Shepard. Reading simple and plain plays by Shep...more
Melissa Luna
These people are so awful that I actually felt physically sick after reading this play. That said, it has some wonderful lines.
Jillian
Compelling and super depressing. The whole play is about the addiction to attachment and avoidance people have when they haven't resolved their childhood demons. Sad and imaginative. Shepard is a genius.
Spencer Korey
Wasnt the biggest fan of this play. Perhaps it hut abut too close to home? Perhaps its because none of the characters changed? Its a great play that gives insight into the trap of family and unhappiness.
Michael
As usual, a troubling exploration of love and violence and identity. Not sure about the ending, but I'm still thinking about it.
Greg
Jul 20, 2007 Greg added it
This is one of my favorite Shepard plays, from 1986. It has those signature things we love about Shepard: intense, desperate characters who experience the pain of love; brilliant, honest, raw, fluent dialogue; incredibly eccentric behavior that still seems plausible; and a sense of mystery or underlying menace.
Justin Hudnall
Out and out my favorite Shepard play, and I'm a big Shepard fan. He should be credited for coining the phrase, "lie of the mind," as this is the best work I've read to capture the act commited by reality changers, the willful blindness to the undesirable.
Kevin
I loved the dysfunctional families laid bare throughout this story. The use of empty space between different locations was visually engaging even though I only read the play.
Julie
Nov 06, 2011 Julie rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: play
I am going to see my son Nate play the part of "Frankie" in November! So, I thought I would read the play ahead of time. It's a very absorbing & tragic tale well-told.
amber
This is the first play I have ever liked more on paper then on stage. On stage it is too over the top. When you're just reading the words it seems more down to earth.
Carmen
Fantastically dark play that is an amazing commentary on domestic abuse. Absolutely loved it.
Ian
Headstrong extrovert overly dramatic American dialogue and acting, lacking finesse or charm.
John
I have to admit, Sam Shepard may be a great playwright but he just doesn't do it for me.
Isaac
Maybe it will grow on me, It was enjoyable but just not as good as True West
Gabie (OwlEyesReviews)
The play's that I am picking this year are not my favorite...
Terry
Started out good, but fizzled out.
Diana Stevan
A shocking portrayal of a family.
Fauzia Lakh
Dark, different, disturbed.
Becca
Powerful.
Lisa Morrow
Lisa Morrow marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2014
Joselly Js
Joselly Js marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2014
Adrienne
Adrienne marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2014
Emily Fassler
Emily Fassler marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2014
  • American Buffalo
  • The Invention of Love
  • I Am My Own Wife
  • Children of a Lesser God
Sam Shepard is an American artist who worked as an award-winning playwright, writer and actor. His many written works are known for being frank and often absurd, as well as for having an authentic sense of the style and sensibility of the gritty modern American west. He is an actor of the stage and motion pictures; a director of stage and film; author of several books of short stories, essays, and...more
More about Sam Shepard...
Buried Child Seven Plays: Buried Child / Curse of the Starving Class / The Tooth of Crime / La Turista / Tongues / Savage Love / True West True West Fool for Love and Other Plays Fool for Love - Acting Edition