Start by marking “In The Steps Of St. Paul” as Want to Read:
In The Steps Of St. Paul

In The Steps Of St. Paul

In the Steps of St. Paul dazzlingly retraces the apostle's famed journey of faith through Israel, Greece, and Italy, using the Bible itself as a guide. With an ear for good stories and an eye alert to detail, Morton creates a compulsively readable narrative that will satisfy the most curious traveler as well as the most informed and passionate reader of the Bible.
Published March 28th 2002 by Da Capo Press (first published November 30th 1935)

To ask other readers questions about In The Steps Of St. Paul, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In The Steps Of St. Paul

Julie Davis
Aug 01, 2016 Julie Davis rated it it was amazing
Rereading at bedtime. I love Morton's writing so much, the way he paints pictures and weaves his thoughts in among them. Original review below.

Simply fantastic. I am a H.V. Morton fan anyway. He had such a knack for drawing one into the past while talking about how it turned into his present time ... and he wrote long enough ago that his "current times" are a look into the past for us.

In this case, we see where St. Paul traveled through fairly modern eyes but while those places were sti
Gene Coatney
I was introduced to Morton a few years ago with the purchase of In Search of London from a thrift store and was instantly enamored. He is a travel writer from the early to mid twentieth century and his writing is a rich blend of not only travel information, but history and his own experiences, bringing a unique perspective on a vanishing world. This book was an even better read, perhaps because of the subject matter, but also enriched by adding a narrative of Paul's own journey as Morton is on ...more
Jobi George
Jun 22, 2013 Jobi George rated it it was amazing
(a comment, not review)
This one is a true pleasure. What appeals to me about this is that we're reading two histories at once. As Morton recounts stories of the classical and biblical eras, he is also giving a contemporary account of a world that has entirely vanished. From an angle, considering the time this book is originally written, we're already too much into the future and so the scenes he shows us and those pass through our either sides are almost not in existence anymore.
May 26, 2012 Lucy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very much enjoyed this. I haven't read any travel writing before, from any era, and unlike when reading a novel (must get to the end!) I found myself reading slowly to eke out the pleasure. His descriptions of approaching places from the sea are absolutely wonderful, and of course timeless: whereas his opinions on Turkey in the 1930's offer the extra interest of being historical documents for us now. I also felt I understood St Paul rather better seeing him through Morton's eyes.
And the best th
I read this in step with a sermon series on the book of Acts at my church. Fascinating book! Morton follows the steps of Paul around the eastern Mediterranean, offering part travel journal and part Biblical commentary. He's a great writer. It was written in the 1930s, when that part of the world was a very different place.
Judith Simonson
Jan 09, 2016 Judith Simonson rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this and other early H. V. Morton. Much of the world hadn't changed much in centuries when he traveled and wrote about it.
Jan 19, 2008 Karl rated it it was amazing
Fascinating tales of places I visited in 05 - could walk with him in his steps as he narrated these places.
Paul Hagle
Paul Hagle rated it it was amazing
Aug 11, 2014
Nikita Skurat
Nikita Skurat rated it liked it
May 28, 2015
Becky rated it liked it
May 19, 2013
Lisa Cashin
Lisa Cashin rated it it was ok
Jan 30, 2013
Sherry rated it really liked it
Aug 22, 2013
John Ollerton
John Ollerton rated it it was amazing
Dec 29, 2015
James Macduff
James Macduff rated it it was amazing
Dec 27, 2013
DeAnn rated it it was amazing
Mar 01, 2008
Anne rated it it was amazing
Jan 29, 2013
Clare Sullivan
Clare Sullivan rated it really liked it
Aug 09, 2014
Joris Gillet
Joris Gillet rated it liked it
Jan 03, 2015
Dec 18, 2007 Dad rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: travel fans
"The master of the genre- often immitated but never matched." Jan Morris
Mrs. C.
Mrs. C. rated it it was amazing
Aug 25, 2011
Anthony Dale
Anthony Dale rated it really liked it
Nov 28, 2009
Martin Mostek
Martin Mostek rated it really liked it
Jul 04, 2011
Erin Wasinger
Erin Wasinger rated it liked it
Oct 10, 2014
Samuel rated it it was amazing
Jun 23, 2014
Vicky Jones
Vicky Jones rated it really liked it
Jan 30, 2014
Rachel rated it really liked it
Oct 17, 2010
Laurie rated it liked it
May 23, 2014
Judith rated it it was ok
Aug 17, 2014
Leon Argamasilla
Leon Argamasilla rated it really liked it
Jul 23, 2011
Marianne Dolack
Marianne Dolack rated it really liked it
May 23, 2012
Henry Canova Vollam (H. V.) Morton, FRSL, was a journalist and pioneering travel writer from Lancashire, England, best known for his prolific and popular books on Britain and the Holy Land. He first achieved fame in 1923 when, while working for the Daily Express, he scooped the official Times correspondent during the coverage of the opening of the Tomb of Tutankhamon by Howard Carter in Egypt.

In t
More about H.V. Morton...