Start by marking “Perfect Weight America: Change Your Diet. Change Your Life. Change Your World” as Want to Read:
Perfect Weight America: Change Your Diet. Change Your Life. Change Your World

Perfect Weight America: Change Your Diet. Change Your Life. Change Your World

Everyone has a perfect weight. It may not be what you weigh right now. It may not be what your best friend weighs, or what your mother weighs. But somewhere inside, there is a perfectly thin YOU just waiting to be revealed! Join New York Times best-selling author Jordan Rubin as he shows you how to discover your perfect weight and refocus your lifestyle toward attaining ...more
Published December 14th 2007 by Siloam (first published December 11th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Perfect Weight America, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Perfect Weight America

Lorileinart
Nov 21, 2008 Lorileinart rated it it was ok
News Flash!!!
Did you know that you can LOSE WEIGHT if you eat healthy, avoid carbs, and exercise!? Jordan Rubin, you are a genius for sharing this new information with the world.
Harkinna
Jul 09, 2010 Harkinna rated it it was ok
I read Self magazine and Shape not for the information about losing weight, but because I love the success stories contained in them. “Meet Jane, she weighed 435 pounds, started walking every day, and now 14.5 months later she only weight 100 pounds.” So when I picked up the book, Perfect Weight, I was immediately sucked in by the author’s story. He lost a lot of weight too, but not because he wanted to, because he was sick.

Chapter 2 started out great: how to decode most diet books. Ok, I am gam
Honeybee
Apr 21, 2014 Honeybee rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book was a disappointment. I was expecting an explanation of how we can eat right, exercise, etc., to reach our optimum weight. While the author talked somewhat about those things, his main purpose was to sell product--particularly his Garden of Life supplements and diet aids. He also touted a project conducted in Chicago, I believe, to help citizens reach their perfect weight by following a diet, exercise and supplement regimen which is not at all practical or pleasant for most Americans. ...more
Christine
Feb 26, 2008 Christine rated it it was ok
To me, this book is basically a repackaged version of Andrew Weil's books. Rubin does offer ideas on how to take care of environmental toxins in your home, but is unrealistic as to the economic and geographical situations of the average American. In addition, Rubin is not a doctor nor has he any alternative medicine certifications (though he did have a doctor read and ok his book).

For example, Rubin eschews organic dariy products, saying that only unpasteurized milk is good for his diet. He also
Susie
Apr 15, 2008 Susie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was yet another preachy 'I'm so great so therefore you can lose weight' kind of book. The arrogance of the author is a but much at times. I kept thinking "Thank goodness I didn't marry that guy. Whew. Dodged a big bullet there."

I actually found the beginning of the book were quite interesting. The first few chapters are actually what kept me going through the rest of the book. The physiological aspects of eating were fascinating. Unfortunately, the author lost that momentum and started tal
Valerie
Jun 16, 2008 Valerie rated it really liked it
Hey, I'm not dieting (and I don't EVER want to!) and I don't usually read self-help books. I got this one free when I shopped at Good Earth a month or two ago. With all the nutrition and "fringe" kind of ideas I've picked up over the last few years, I think this book sums up what I think is a healthy lifestyle better and other reading I've done. I'm not quite "there" yet, but I actually did like reading this book.
Alexis
Feb 12, 2008 Alexis rated it it was ok
Shelves: readit
Ummm, yeah not quite my cup of tea. There were definitely some good aspects to it that he nailed down and some interesting aspects on dieting and eating good foods, but I felt he was demanding unrealistic expectations from "America" in what most Americans have been through and are tempted by daily. Though, there were good aspects and I am more informed on certain things, but I have definitely read better, more worthwhile books about creating a good, healthy lifestyle of fitness and eating.
Kevin
Mar 19, 2009 Kevin rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: health
Don't expect too much from a free book from Vitamin Shoppe. Filled with massive amounts of advice that would take eons just to double-check that you were following even a fraction of it. Unfortunately, the advice is unscientific. Worse off, much of it is contradictory to science. Overt religious tones as well. Such as for reasons not to eat pig and most seafood. Shellfish #2 of his “dirty dozen.” White sugar just at #7. Wow, that much worse than white sugar, eh?
Michael
Feb 01, 2010 Michael rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nutrition, health
For the most, this is a re-hashing of what Rubin's already written in he's previous books, with the unfortunate edition of the suggestions for "green" leaving... what poppycock.

The only improvement in this book from his others is a modified eating plan (Ch. 7). It's a relaxed and expanded form, using Rubin's established principles
Rachel
Jul 08, 2009 Rachel rated it it was ok
This book was informative to when it came to GMO's and how to recognize and avoid them, but overall it was like every other diet book out there-- products to sell that would directly benefit the author. Love to read about sound nutrition and healthy lifestyles, not so much interested in lining the pockets of others though.
Kimetha Wurster
May 04, 2008 Kimetha Wurster is currently reading it
I was given this book at work and decided today...being over weight and uncomfortable...I would start reading it.
Please be praying for me, this is a radical change for me...eating good food that is right for me!
Hopefully, you will SEE the results.
Rebecca Rash
May 19, 2013 Rebecca Rash rated it liked it
It is very interesting to me to read health books on diet/fitness, but this one I didn't particularly like. It's ideas are strange, and there are references to yoga, and meditation, which I don't agree with. Some interesting statistics and ideas can be gleaned, though.
Robin
Mar 05, 2008 Robin rated it it was amazing
Shelves: health
A must read! Very informational and motivating. He's all about natural, organic, and going green. Some parts are a little extreme, but you get a lot of great information. The author also wrote "The Maker's Diet."
Julia
Oct 13, 2008 Julia rated it it was ok
Shelves: diet-food
Disappointing. Too commercial. I believe in his diet and love his book, the Maker's Diet and recommend that one instead. See my review for the Maker's Diet.
Marcy
Dec 31, 2008 Marcy added it
I have not achieved the perfect weight, but I have benefited from the cleansing aspect of this diet and the overall healthy eating recommendations.
Andd Becker
May 28, 2014 Andd Becker rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The author presents a compelling argument for dieting -- the globesity epidemic. The book challenges the reader to make wiser food choices.
Stefanie
Sep 14, 2015 Stefanie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
2.5 stars. There are some good ideas in here, as well as some to leave by the wayside, but mostly it's a long commercial.
Catherine
Catherine rated it it was ok
Jan 22, 2014
Sharee
Sharee rated it liked it
Feb 08, 2008
Dean Emery
Dean Emery rated it liked it
Jun 21, 2013
Stacie
Stacie rated it liked it
Feb 11, 2009
Amy
Amy rated it did not like it
Aug 12, 2008
Schip
Schip rated it liked it
Aug 08, 2008
Shawn Stephens
Shawn Stephens rated it liked it
Sep 15, 2013
Nikki
Nikki rated it it was ok
Jan 28, 2008
Stori
Stori rated it really liked it
Feb 11, 2008
Bana
Bana rated it liked it
Apr 30, 2010
Linda
Linda rated it it was ok
Oct 06, 2008
Liberty Ann
Liberty Ann rated it really liked it
Apr 30, 2009
Brooke
Jul 06, 2008 Brooke rated it really liked it
I only got halfway through this and needed to give it back to the owner, but overall I liked it.
« previous 1 3 next »