Start by marking “Love Letters and Two Other Plays: The Golden Age, What I Did Last Summer” as Want to Read:
Love Letters and Two Other Plays: The Golden Age, What I Did Last Summer

Love Letters and Two Other Plays: The Golden Age, What I Did Last Summer

In such critically acclaimed plays as The Dining Room and The Cocktail Hour, A. R. Gurney has wittily captured the manners of upper-middle-class WASP America, but never as gracefully or with such dazzling economy as in Love Letters. Tracing the lifelong correspondence of the staid, dutiful lawyer Andrew Makepeace Ladd III and the lively, unstable artist Melissa Gardner, th ...more
Published September 1st 1990 by Plume

To ask other readers questions about Love Letters and Two Other Plays, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Love Letters and Two Other Plays

Akemi G
Sep 30, 2016 Akemi G rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-fiction, dramas
"Most of the things I did with her partly in mind. And if I said or did an inauthentic thing, I could almost hear her groaning over my shoulder."

The edition I found at the library only has Love Letters, no other plays, so this review is about Love Letters.

I saw the stage performance of this play some time ago, in the late 90s, just two actors sitting and vocalizing their lines. And it was funny and lovely. In a sense, they are very different; a conservative man who likes writing and a wacky wom
Cheri
Jul 10, 2007 Cheri rated it did not like it
Shelves: drama-american
People just love the play Love Letters. I found it forced and the characters about as deep as a puddle. Both in reading and production, I honestly would sit through four hours of atonal experimental performance art rather than this.
Canavan
Feb 07, 2015 Canavan rated it really liked it

Incorporates:

Love Letters, A. R. Gurney (1988).
What I Did Last Summer, A. R. Gurney (1983). Not yet read.
The Golden Age, A. R. Gurney (1984). Not yet read.
Amy
Jan 12, 2009 Amy rated it really liked it
Shelves: bookcrossing
This lovely script has been read by several folks since the last entry. It has done the rounds with my non-BookCrossing friends, who all thought it wonderful.

As I was reading it, particularly in the beginning, I couldn't stop chuckling. I Kept imagining the how it would be staged as well, and some of the wonderful folks who brought Melissa and Andy to life.

I am blessed with several close friends who believe in keeping in touch by letter and email. It really is a gift and a treasure to be able to
Marcia
Feb 03, 2016 Marcia rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, x2016, plays
It's been some time since I read a play; however, because I will be seeing Love Letters with Ali MacGraw and Ryan O'Neal during its Boston run, I decided to read the play. It is so easy to picture these two actors reading 50 years of correspondence that started in second grade. Melissa and Andrew blend and become Jenny and Oliver of 45 years ago. And the ending? Well, let's just say I will once again have the tissues at hand on Saturday afternoon.

Andrew on writing letters...
As you know, I've alw
Mikey
May 13, 2014 Mikey rated it it was amazing
I love his working and I have seen some of it actually performed live . This is supposed to be done with only two actors and they just sit there reading these letters back and forth, it does not seem like effective acting but done right this play I found very moving. So far I've only read love letters but I would like to read the others soon. It is a wonderfully told story of young pen pals that grow to be more, but things take a turn for the words as they get older. And how they have a great re ...more
Andrew
May 27, 2014 Andrew rated it did not like it
Awful, awful, awful. Please stop treating this as if it's anything other than awful. Stop putting this on stage; it's awful. Two awful people writing awful letters to each other, some of which are only a few awful words long. This awful "play" is a waste of time, paper, and postage.

Awful.

PS - Did I say it's awful? Because it is.
Tony
Nov 29, 2007 Tony rated it really liked it
Shelves: drama
Rated only on the title play, which I thought was fantastic. Reminded me of something you'd have seen directed by George Cukor, starring maybe Gary Cooper and Irene Dunne, a cinematic coupling I don't think ever happened, but should have...
Zelda
Oct 06, 2008 Zelda rated it it was ok
Shelves: once-was-enough
Love Letters is respectable, but there's really only so much Gurney I can read in one sitting before I get really restless. He's competent, but he doesn't tend to excite me.
Ms. Lacy
Jul 27, 2009 Ms. Lacy rated it it was amazing
The play love letters has some really beautiful thoughts about the richness of writing and the importance correspondence can play on our lives.
Valerie
Dec 08, 2009 Valerie rated it really liked it
I really liked all three of the "plays" in this book. However, while I enjoyed reading them, I am almost entirely certain that I would not have liked them had I seen them in the theatre.
Rachel
Aug 29, 2012 Rachel rated it really liked it
So far I have only read "The Love Letters", but it was absolutely amazing. Just the right mix of snarky humor and heartfelt sentiment.
Gina Omilon
Nov 13, 2015 Gina Omilon rated it it was amazing
Absolutely amazing play. I love it. Took me a bit to get into it, but then it hit my heart and hit real fast. Definitely recommend it!!
Shari
Dec 04, 2008 Shari added it
Love Letters and Two Other Plays : The Golden Age, What I Did Last Summer (Plume Drama) by A. R. Gurney (1990)
Heather
Mar 14, 2009 Heather rated it it was amazing
Love Letters is my favorite play of all time. Romantic, funny, heartbreaking, haunting. I quote it all the time. And I saw it on Broadway with Timothy Hutton. What could be bad?
Melody
Jun 11, 2009 Melody rated it really liked it
Cute story. I read the Golden Age. Very comical. Themes related to the Great Gatsby. I think Gurney looked up to Fitzgerald.
Denise
Denise rated it liked it
May 07, 2011
Allison
Allison rated it really liked it
Sep 17, 2010
Gary Schwartz
Gary Schwartz rated it it was amazing
Jul 28, 2015
Jocelyn
Jocelyn rated it really liked it
Jan 29, 2009
Tony K. Blackman
Tony K. Blackman rated it it was amazing
Dec 27, 2015
Eric
Eric rated it really liked it
Jul 08, 2007
Ada
Ada rated it it was ok
Oct 06, 2011
Brittany
Brittany rated it liked it
May 23, 2011
Jenkins
Jenkins rated it it was amazing
Sep 27, 2007
Kaite Stover
Kaite Stover rated it really liked it
Jun 15, 2008
Sally Dubats
Sally Dubats rated it it was amazing
Sep 16, 2011
Darrell Mullins
Darrell Mullins rated it it was amazing
Jun 12, 2014
Karen
Karen rated it it was amazing
Jan 09, 2017
Tom
Tom rated it really liked it
Mar 14, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • The Star-Spangled Girl
  • Tiny Alice
  • The 39 Steps: A Play
  • We Can't Pay? We Won't Pay!
  • Venus - Acting Edition
  • Wonder of the World: Trade Edition
  • Prelude to a Kiss
  • Spinning Into Butter
  • Passion Play (TCG Edition)
  • Far Away
  • The Madwoman of Chaillot
  • The Servant of Two Masters
  • Talk Radio (TCG Edition)
  • Christopher Durang Explains it All for You
  • Hay Fever
  • Homebody/Kabul
  • The Beaux' Stratagem
  • Our Country's Good
5762007

A. R. Gurney (Albert Ramsdell Gurney, Jr.) (born November 1, 1930) is an American playwright and novelist.[1] He is known for works including Love Letters, The Cocktail Hour, and The Dining Room. Gurney currently lives in both New York and Connecticut.

Born in Buffalo, New York, Gurney, a graduate of St. Paul's School (Concord, New Hampshire), attended Williams College and the Yale School of Drama,
More about A.R. Gurney...