Start by marking “Hard Time: 50 to Life” as Want to Read:
Hard Time: 50 to Life

Hard Time: 50 to Life (Hard Time #1)

He can escape his body, but his body can't escape prison A high-school shooting costs four students their lives, and 15-year-old Ethan Chiles his future. Now he's got 50 years of hard time to look forward to. But Something powerful has been growing within Ethan, and on the day of his sentencing, it escapes at last. It will change a life that has already been completely cha ...more
Published December 1st 2004 by DC Comics

To ask other readers questions about Hard Time, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hard Time

Feb 27, 2010 Jace rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
I don't have much experience with Steve Gerber's work, other than a few of the She-Hulk issues he did in the 90's. But I have heard a lot about his reputation as a great comic writer. I read a retrospective of Gerber's work after he died (too soon) a few years back, and the author of the piece spoke positively about HARD TIME, one of Gerber's final projects.

The basic story is as follows: 15-Year-Old Ethan Harrow is sentenced to 50 years in jail for his participation in a school shooting (althoug
Aug 24, 2007 Punk rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
Graphic Novel. Entertainment Weekly called this Oz meets My So-Called Life. Sort of, but not really. Ethan Harrow is fifteen and gets fifty to life for holding up his school with his best friend. His friend is actually the one who does all the shooting, but he dies in a freak accident and Ethan gets saddled with the jail time. The state pen is a lot like high school, but nothing like MSCL. This book is all about prison politics. No one's talking about their feelings here. You've got your Aryan t ...more
Ramya (Idea Smith)
Sep 02, 2012 Ramya (Idea Smith) rated it liked it
Two teenage geeks break into their school cafeteria brandishing guns. Several people die, some suffer mental instability afterwards, one of the perperators collapses and the surviving one is sentenced to 50 years of hard time. In jail however, a different story of him unwinds.

Why did a harmless, 'nice boy' like him end up at the wrong end of a gun in a high school shootout? How did his companion really die? Why does he seem to be a trouble-magnet even in jail? And how does he stay alive, and wha
Jared Johnson
Feb 14, 2011 Jared Johnson rated it really liked it
This book was about a 15 year old kid named Ethan Harrows, who was involved with a shooting at his school. After he was caught and taken to court he was sentenced to 50 years to life in prison. As he spends some time in prison he meets new friends and enemies. It is tough for him to get use to the new changes he has experienced.
I liked the book because it was easy for me to understand and it was interesting. I also liked how they set up the story. This made the book really fun to read.
I would re
Feb 09, 2013 Jacob rated it really liked it
I'm reading this because the second volume was released (in collected form) several years later. Even though I'd consider the subject matter mature I really appreciate how the author kept the language clean. It's about a coming of age boy struggling to stay alive with strange, unknown powers that gets locked into a prison with adults. The writing and art were really good, but the moody, saturdated coloring--despite being ahead of the curve with digital advancement--was unusual because there are ...more
Shannon Appelcline
Jan 13, 2013 Shannon Appelcline rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics, comics-indy
A really intriguing mix of prison drama and super powers (or at least super power). The result is totally innovative and it’s a really good read too, thanks to the strong characterization and the character-driven storyline.

I was bummed when DC abandoned the TPBs for Hard Time in 2004, as they tend to for any non-top-selling series, and I’m thrilled that a second one is finally out this year. Hopefully we won’t have to wait until 2022 for the third and final volume (but with DC you never know).
Diana Welsch
May 31, 2009 Diana Welsch rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
This was interesting. I like reading graphic novels about things that there aren't many graphic novels about: in this case, prison.

A 15-year old kid gets 50 years in prison for a ill-conceived school prank in which classmates got killed. Naturally, he runs into a lot of trouble with the prison pecking order. But for reasons not adequately explained, the kid can sort of astral-project a reddish demon that totally goes nuts when he is angry or in danger.

I wasn't quite satisfied with the ending, b
Jan 25, 2011 Tayon added it
This book is about a young kid who went to local high school with his best friend. They wanted to pull a prank. But his friend wanted more. His friend went on a killing spree during the big prank. He shot every one in sight. So harrow had no choice. He killed his best friend Ethan. But it was not harrow who really did it. It was a demon in him. So now he is in jail severing a 50 year sentence. Now he really has a problem. He must now learn to control the demon within.
Roger Buck
Jul 14, 2014 Roger Buck rated it really liked it
For a comic book, this is brilliant but disturbing. Steve Gerber possessed real insight into the decadence of modern society. Alas, Steve Gerber's poor heart was profoundly afflicted by the pain of that decaying world, so much so, that, frequently, he fell into deep despair. You feel that in these pages. I pray for his soul ... Co-writer Mary Skrenes is still with us and seems to have been a life-long friend and comfort to Steve. God bless her.
Feb 10, 2013 Mur rated it it was amazing
I read this series back when it first ran, and loved it even more reading through the collected edition. Fantastic series that ended too soon, by the late Steve Gerber. The second volume has finally been released in trade...hopefully it doesn't take them years to get around to reprinting Season Two.
Craig Rettig
Jun 02, 2013 Craig Rettig rated it liked it
I'm usually a big fan of Mr. Gerber's, but this one, while not bad, wasn't one of his better tales. I haven't gotten around to reading the rest of the series yet, so I'm hoping the story gels more in future TPBs of the series.
Ming Siu
May 28, 2014 Ming Siu rated it really liked it
Very solid series intro, with compelling characters and a unique situation. Sadly, the series didn't last long. But I'll be picking up the rest of it for sure.
Aug 22, 2012 Andre rated it liked it
The life of a 15 years old in prison with powers added to the mix. Interesting and great atmosphere.
Ted rated it really liked it
Dec 24, 2014
Stu Rase
Stu Rase rated it really liked it
Sep 06, 2015
Vincent Lombardo
Vincent Lombardo rated it really liked it
Nov 12, 2012
Todd rated it it was ok
Mar 15, 2014
Lisa rated it it was ok
Feb 15, 2009
Nabby Chatrath
Nabby Chatrath rated it really liked it
Jun 01, 2011
Dan rated it really liked it
Jan 20, 2015
Philip rated it really liked it
Mar 18, 2013
Jason rated it really liked it
May 18, 2015
Rick rated it really liked it
Dec 15, 2015
Tim rated it it was ok
Aug 03, 2015
Chris rated it it was ok
May 24, 2015
Zac rated it liked it
Aug 21, 2013
Allan Sim
Allan Sim rated it really liked it
Sep 10, 2013
J. Christopher
J. Christopher rated it liked it
Mar 01, 2013
Misitio rated it really liked it
Nov 28, 2013
Sid Shapiro
Sid Shapiro rated it liked it
May 31, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Steve Gerber graduated from the University of Missouri with a degree in communications and took a job in advertising. To keep himself sane, he wrote bizarre short stories such as "Elves Against Hitler," "Conversion in a Terminal Subway," and "...And the Birds Hummed Dirges!" He noticed acquaintance Roy Thomas working at Marvel, and Thomas sent him Marvel's standard writing test, dialoguing Daredev ...more
More about Steve Gerber...

Hard Time (2 books)