Start by marking “The Hard-Times Jar” as Want to Read:
The Hard-Times Jar

The Hard-Times Jar

4.06  ·  Rating Details  ·  66 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
A look at the life of migrant workers through a child's eyes

Emma Turner loves books and dreams of one day having the store-bought kind, but the Turners are migrant workers and money is tight. That means "no extras," so Emma must be content to make her own stories and books. Emma has a plan, though – she's going to save all the money she earns picking apples and put it in M
Published August 12th 2003 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR)

To ask other readers questions about The Hard-Times Jar, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hard-Times Jar

The Irresistible Blueberry Bakeshop & Cafe by Mary SimsesWaiting for Unicorns by Beth HautalaThe Husband's Secret by Liane MoriartySometimes Never, Sometimes Always by Elissa Janine HooleThe Godmother by Carrie Adams
Glass Jar Covers
26th out of 90 books — 10 voters
Dreaming of America by Eve BuntingYear of the Jungle by Suzanne CollinsFlowers for Grandmother by Kendahl Brooke YoungsGabby by Joyce GrantThe Best Book in the World by Rilla Alexander
Great Picture Books With A Female Character
12th out of 20 books — 4 voters

More lists with this book...

Relyn
Feb 02, 2014 Relyn rated it liked it
Recommends it for: teachers, parents, kids
Recommended to Relyn by: Pinterest
The Hard-Times Jar was hard to get a hold of. I had to make an inter-library loan request. It was worth the effort to read it, though not perhaps one I would purchase for my classroom since it isn't in paperback. I did like the different perspective of this book. I liked the view of school and of poverty from the perspective of a shy book-loving child. This book is a sweet love story to books and book lovers.
Memory Toast
Jul 29, 2015 Memory Toast rated it really liked it
Shelves: for-mommy
What happens when an impoverished girl, who writes her own stories on the backs of grocery bags and dreams of one day owning her own store-bought book, gets to a school with an enormous classroom library? How will her family's "hard-times jar" come into the story?

If you'd like to know, read this poginant tale about honesty, education, and a love of books.
Crystal
Even though this is specifically a migrant family, any reader whose family has struggled financially could relate to a situation like this. Waiting and waiting for something because it is financially out of reach is something many people can understand. The love of reading is another connecting point. This is a good example for memoir units too.
GalindoLibrarian
The only thing I didn't like is that it was against the rules to borrow a book from the classroom library! This poor, migrant family had to spend their hard-earned hard-times jar money on a book? That's what libraries are FOR! Emma should have been able to borrow books for free!
Lisa
Feb 21, 2014 Lisa rated it it was amazing
This book would be a good book for older grades (3-5). You could use it to explain to students how important reading is and how easily you can fall in love with it. Also, it has many themes in the book such a hard work and telling the truth if you have done something wrong.
S10_Helena
Aug 04, 2010 S10_Helena rated it really liked it
Genre: fiction
Format: picture book
Grade level: elementary - middle school

This is a book about an eight year old girl named Emma who loves to read but her family is very poor and can not afford books. Since she does not have any books, she creates stories and writes them down. Her parents then decide to let her attend school. Emma is in awe by all the books the school has in the library. She takes two of them home even though it is forbidden. Emma’s mother gives her money from the hard-times jar
Jenny
Jan 22, 2009 Jenny rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
This was a really cute, touching book about the power of reading, books and education. When I saw how much text there was I wasn't sure if my 3 year would sit through it; sometimes he is turning the pages on shorter books...but he sat through the whole thing quietly and when we were done said, let's get another book like this. It was really sweet! I was very touched by the message and really enjoyed the illustrations. Teaches a very good lesson about what many of us take for granted (seeing that ...more
Lauren White
Jan 29, 2015 Lauren White rated it really liked it
Good for grades 2-6
Kalynda
At first I thought it was a book focused on money and counting, which is why I grabbed it, for a possible science collection, but instead...true to it's title, it is about a family's struggle to make ends meet and a young eight-year-old girl who has a long for writing and reading. I found it deeply touching.
Deana
May 07, 2013 Deana rated it really liked it
Shelves: positive-message
I thought this was a fantastic book that covered a lot of different themes that children could relate to in one form or another: honesty, integrity, hard work, saving, issues of race and socioeconomics. Unfortunately, it is too lengthy to use in my pre-school storytimes, but I would consider using this for K-2 programming.
Janine Baker
Feb 14, 2013 Janine Baker rated it it was amazing
Loved this book the first time I read it. The lessons Emma learns are real in for so many children. The message of the book serves up to determination and honesty. A great read every time!
Kristin
Jun 25, 2008 Kristin rated it really liked it
lovely story about a black girl who goes to a school that is all white who loves book and finally gets a book of her own
Kristin Sprague
Apr 22, 2012 Kristin Sprague rated it really liked it
saving up for a "rainy day"
Andrea Labonte
Dec 17, 2014 Andrea Labonte rated it it was amazing
Shelves: juv
Great Book.
Sarah marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2016
Leslie
Leslie added it
Jan 14, 2016
Christie Angleton
Christie Angleton rated it liked it
Jan 11, 2016
Sagan
Sagan rated it it was amazing
Jan 03, 2016
Bret
Bret added it
Dec 24, 2015
ForemanTeaches
ForemanTeaches marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2015
Gabrielle
Gabrielle marked it as to-read
Oct 11, 2015
Najla
Najla marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2015
Jenny Lussier
Jenny Lussier rated it liked it
Sep 21, 2015
Melanie Rightmyer
Melanie Rightmyer marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2015
Jen Traub
Jen Traub rated it liked it
Aug 27, 2015
Karen
Karen rated it really liked it
Aug 07, 2015