Start by marking “The Hard-Times Jar” as Want to Read:
The Hard-Times Jar

The Hard-Times Jar

4.12 of 5 stars 4.12  ·  rating details  ·  49 ratings  ·  10 reviews
A look at the life of migrant workers through a child’s eyes

Emma Turner loves books and dreams of one day having the store-bought kind, but the Turners are migrant workers and money is tight. That means “no extras,” so Emma must be content to make her own stories and books. Emma has a plan, though – she’s going to save all the money she earns picking apples and put it in M
Published August 12th 2003 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR)

To ask other readers questions about The Hard-Times Jar, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hard-Times Jar

Relyn
Feb 02, 2014 Relyn rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: teachers, parents, kids
Recommended to Relyn by: Pinterest
The Hard-Times Jar was hard to get a hold of. I had to make an inter-library loan request. It was worth the effort to read it, though not perhaps one I would purchase for my classroom since it isn't in paperback. I did like the different perspective of this book. I liked the view of school and of poverty from the perspective of a shy book-loving child. This book is a sweet love story to books and book lovers.
Kalynda
At first I thought it was a book focused on money and counting, which is why I grabbed it, for a possible science collection, but instead...true to it's title, it is about a family's struggle to make ends meet and a young eight-year-old girl who has a long for writing and reading. I found it deeply touching.
Lisa
This book would be a good book for older grades (3-5). You could use it to explain to students how important reading is and how easily you can fall in love with it. Also, it has many themes in the book such a hard work and telling the truth if you have done something wrong.
S10_Helena
Genre: fiction
Format: picture book
Grade level: elementary - middle school

This is a book about an eight year old girl named Emma who loves to read but her family is very poor and can not afford books. Since she does not have any books, she creates stories and writes them down. Her parents then decide to let her attend school. Emma is in awe by all the books the school has in the library. She takes two of them home even though it is forbidden. Emma’s mother gives her money from the hard-times jar
Jenny
This was a really cute, touching book about the power of reading, books and education. When I saw how much text there was I wasn't sure if my 3 year would sit through it; sometimes he is turning the pages on shorter books...but he sat through the whole thing quietly and when we were done said, let's get another book like this. It was really sweet! I was very touched by the message and really enjoyed the illustrations. Teaches a very good lesson about what many of us take for granted (seeing that ...more
Deana
I thought this was a fantastic book that covered a lot of different themes that children could relate to in one form or another: honesty, integrity, hard work, saving, issues of race and socioeconomics. Unfortunately, it is too lengthy to use in my pre-school storytimes, but I would consider using this for K-2 programming.
Janine Baker
Loved this book the first time I read it. The lessons Emma learns are real in for so many children. The message of the book serves up to determination and honesty. A great read every time!
Kristin
lovely story about a black girl who goes to a school that is all white who loves book and finally gets a book of her own
Kristin Sprague
saving up for a "rainy day"
Andrea Labonte
Great Book.
Linda Lipko
Linda Lipko marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2014
Lu Benke
Lu Benke marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2014
Holly
Holly marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2014
Dawn
Dawn added it
Oct 21, 2014
Carlos
Carlos marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2014
Lisa Hall
Lisa Hall marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2014
Reem Omar
Reem Omar marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2014
Taylor
Taylor added it
Jul 08, 2014
Uzma
Uzma marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2014