Start by marking “Lover's Bite (Wings in the Night, #14)” as Want to Read:
Lover's Bite (Wings in the Night, #14)

Lover's Bite (Wings in the Night #14)

3.99  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,062 Ratings  ·  39 Reviews
Before she joined Reaper in hunting Gregor's gang of rogue bloodsuckers, privileged princess Topaz was gunning for just one vamp: Jack Heart. The gorgeous con man had charmed his way into her bed, her heart and her bank account, taking her for half a million dollars and vanishing without a word.Now she and Jack--maddeningly attractive as ever-- are supposedly on the same s ...more
Published May 1st 2008 by Mira Books (first published May 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Lover's Bite, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lover's Bite

Daisiemae
May 17, 2008 Daisiemae rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: My fellow paranormal romance lovers
Recommended to Daisiemae by: www.queuemyreview.com
I love to sink my teeth into a paranormal romance. I am a sucker for the dark, dangerous, sexy characters, and the life (undead or not) that they live. I believe as a fellow paranormal romance junkie, we demand a well written world of vampires and shape-shifters. Weave in some well placed magic and we are instantly intrigued. Between the well written characters and intriguing storyline, Lover’s Bite by Maggie Shayne delivers on all accounts.

First, I would like to point out that this is the secon
Arch
How do you feel if someone that suppose to love you, abandon you? Hurt and unloved.

Hero: Jack Heart
Heroine: Topaz
Love Scene Level: To me: Leave it to your imagination.

I have given myself a genre challenge to read genre that I don't read and paranormal is a genre that I don't read, but I have for this genre challenge. I've picked this book to be my first challenge book. This book is number 14 in the series.

In this story, both the hero and heroine are tortured. They share two things in common. T
Lynsey A
3.5 to 4 stars. There were parts of this I liked and parts I didn't. The beginning was quite a bit slow but it did start to pick up about a quarter of the way into the book. It was a bit predictable in parts but still enjoyable. The ending was a bit abrupt. Even though, we will see more of this couple in the next book I would still have liked an epilogue. (view spoiler) ...more
Jasmyn
Topaz and Jack have a bad history together. He pretty much screwed her over (which you hear more about in the previous book) and now he can't understand why he feels guilty about it. Is he just having a crisis of conscience or has he lost his edge? Topaz is a firm believer of "fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me" and just isn't interested in anything Jack has to say. But he is a persistent vampire.

He joins Topaz on her quest to find out what really happened to her mother. Why is
Gina
Jun 07, 2008 Gina rated it it was amazing
Best Wings book Ever!

Oh lordy, did I ever enjoy this one! Out of all of them, IMO, this one’s tops.

In the last book, you get the sense that Topaz is the spoiled, rich girl. This one may begin that way, but you quickly find out that it’s far from the truth. Topaz isn’t some spoiled brat, a rich girl that everyone else gets the sense of, but rather a sad, lonely, confused woman who feels cheated and unlovable. There’s a depth to her anguish that has the reader sympathizing with her completely.

Jack
Cheryl
Sep 24, 2008 Cheryl rated it really liked it
The gang is back... Reaper, Topaz, Jack, Roxy, Seth, Vixen and IIyana. They are still on the hunt for Gregor and his crew of vampires. Mean while there is also tension on the home front between Topaz and Jack. Before Jack joined up with Reaper, he was part of Gregor’s gang. He didn’t care about anyone or anything. When Topaz first met Jack she fell hard for him, which is just how Jack liked it. He had Topaz just where he wanted her eating out of the palm of his hand and than he took off with her ...more
Kathy
Jun 27, 2011 Kathy rated it liked it
Crystal
Dec 07, 2010 Crystal rated it really liked it
The first 12 were really great. I loved the story lines and then 13 came about and I gave it a go. It seems like these last 3 that are dealing with another group of people are written in a completely different format and it's hard when at the end there doesnt' seem to be a real closure to the relationships. It would be better if they all had their own stories instead of throwing in a chapter or two here and there dealing with the intimacies of other couples and not really giving a conculsion to ...more
Debra
Nov 20, 2015 Debra rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Story full of twists and turns. It wasn't great, but it wasn't bad either. (One minor point I don't get, Maggie Shayne keeps using the CIA as her villains. The CIA is in charge of international covert intelligence whereas the FBI is in charge of internal US issues. So why isn't she using the FBI as her villains?)

The book starts out about Topaz and Jack but the rest of the gang returns to join in. The continuation of the story line is that the CIA is still trying to get Reaper back.
T.M. Carper
Dec 29, 2014 T.M. Carper rated it liked it
Shelves: romance, paranormal
Part of a series and best read in order - at least read the prior one as they link together with characters and some story lines (Demon's Kiss).

Good suspense story line keeps the pace going and there's a solid romance between two characters who were background in the previous book.
JoAnna
It gets a bit repetitive and unbearably whiney. It's the same pain or struggle the entire book= I love jack, he hurt me horribly, and can I trust him?
Megan
May 30, 2008 Megan rated it it was amazing
Book 14 in the Wings in the Night series

This is the continuing story of “the gang,” following “Demon’s Kiss.” This is the story of Topaz and Jack. I was not the interested in these two characters, so I thought that I would not enjoy it that much. But, I was wrong. It was a fun fast read! Topaz and Jack try to find out who her father is… however, that’s not all (but I won’t spoil the story for you, you’ll just have to read it!). Towards the end of the book we have a short visit from a character f
Steph
Aug 05, 2015 Steph rated it it was amazing
Shelves: maggie-shayne
love this series, :)
Evi Asher
Oct 31, 2014 Evi Asher rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Much more of a romance story this time. I enjoyed the ongoing story lines as well. Still not my ideal para romance, but an enjoyable read.
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
This was read during my vampire phase. I basically read anything I could get my hands on with a vampire in it. Ms. Shayne is a hit or miss for me. This one was interesting because it was more than just a lover's jilted angst between Topaz and the good for nothing conman, Jack. There is a mystery and this keeps my attention as we find out the truth behind Topaz's mother's death and who's her daddy.
Stacie
May 18, 2008 Stacie added it
This is a book about two vampires. Jack is a con man/vampire who steals money from Topaz. Topaz is trying to find out who murdered her mother years ago. I found the romance in the book lacking. It read more like a murder mystery. Jack was playing the "fence" too much for me. I did not really find there was chemistry between the two main characters.
Kara
Dec 08, 2010 Kara rated it really liked it
I didn't realize this was part of a series, I really want to read the ones before because I was definitely out of it for the first 50 pages during some of the references. I liked Topaz and Gregor, it was completely predictable and this is really a 3 1/2, but I didn't want to put it down and I was completely entertained so I think it is a success!
Barbara
Sep 02, 2008 Barbara rated it it was ok
I really enjoyed the first book in this series and as I read this one I often wondered if it was written by the same person! Maggie did tie up a few loose strings from the previous book, but it was missing something. That something I can't quite figure out. Here's hoping the third book finishes the job and doesn't disapoint.
Mousumi Bhattacharya
Dec 08, 2014 Mousumi Bhattacharya rated it liked it
Shelves: vampires
Action packed and fast paced.But the vampires were not used to their full extent. I mean why to have vampires if they don't let the vampires do what they generally do? Ans since when do vampires have problems with CIA. This story is more like spy vs CIA, than vampires.
Jul 27, 2011 Jennifer rated it liked it
I love a good paranormal, but Maggie Shayne's paranormals just aren't that great. Not enough description to get a good mental picture of characters and such. Also, this had WAY too many cliches. Try to come up with something more unique next time Ms. Shayne.
Jodz
Oct 02, 2008 Jodz rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Paranormal romance fans
This was such a fun read.
I really like Maggie Shayne's writing style.

I didn't realise this was the 14th book in the series *oops*

I can't wait to get my hands on the rest of them :)
Rachael
Mar 03, 2012 Rachael rated it liked it
Meh. Not my favorite. Very predictable and boring. I will hang in there and finish the series, but I will most definitely get them from the library and not purchase.
Patty
May 19, 2008 Patty added it
this book was terrible and it didnt have closure to all that events that contributed to the main characters ordeal. dont bother with this one!
Jenelle
Jun 30, 2009 Jenelle rated it it was ok
I don't think I'm going to read anymore of Maggie Shayne-she's kindof like Nora Roberts with a vampire twist.
Mar 08, 2013 Sarah rated it it was amazing
This is really funny and jack comes across a total dick and heartbreaker. Great twist and nice HEA.
Tiffany Sherer
Jul 25, 2013 Tiffany Sherer rated it really liked it
Just finished this book, and I gave it a 4 because, I have always been a sucker for the dark dangerous guy!
Tasneem
Jan 03, 2012 Tasneem rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: vampire
This was okay. I like Maggie Shayne's style of writing but the whole angst was a bit over the top.
Penny
Jul 09, 2008 Penny rated it liked it
This one is not as busy as the first one. It focuses more on one couple and is alot better for it.
Missyb
Oct 02, 2010 Missyb rated it did not like it
I couldn't finish it. I read about half and was confused and bored, I stopped reading it.
Tricia (McAllister) Houseman
May 19, 2011 Tricia (McAllister) Houseman rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone
Recommended to Tricia by: no one
I wasn't sure I would enjoy reading romanaces, but this one is really decent.
  • Strangers In The Night (includes Beyond Twilight - Wings in the Night, #4)
  • Primal Needs (Primes, #7)
  • Dead Perfect
  • Flesh and Stone (Les Gargouillen #2)
  • Seduced by Crimson (Crimson City, #5)
  • Darkness Unknown (Paladins of Darkness, #5)
  • Crimson Rogue (Crimson City, #6)
  • Moonglow
  • Dark Embrace (Rose Trilogy, #1; Masters of Time Series, #3)
  • Night After Night (Brotherhood of Blood, #5)
  • The Gathering (Immortals, #4)
I live in the teeny, tiny town of Taylor, NY, (Alliteration Alert!) though my mailing address is Cincinnatus, my telephone exchange is Truxton and I pay taxes and vote in Cuyler. All of these are at least in the same rural county in the southern hills of New York State; Cortland County. There are more cattle than people here. The nearest “big” cities are Syracuse and Binghamton and they are an hou ...more
More about Maggie Shayne...

Wings in the Night (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • Twilight Phantasies (Wings in the Night, #1)
  • Twilight Memories (Wings in the Night, #2)
  • Twilight Illusions (Wings in the Night, #3)
  • Born In Twilight (Wings in the Night, #5)
  • Twilight Hunger (Wings in the Night, #7)
  • Embrace the Twilight (Wings in the Night, #8)
  • Edge of Twilight (Wings in the Night, #10)
  • Before Blue Twilight (Wings in the night #10.5 - A prequel Novella)
  • Blue Twilight (Wings in the Night, #11)
  • Prince of Twilight (Wings in the Night #12)