Start by marking “Twisted Creek” as Want to Read:
Twisted Creek

Twisted Creek

3.97  ·  Rating Details  ·  950 Ratings  ·  109 Reviews
Published April 1st 2008 by Berkley

To ask other readers questions about Twisted Creek, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Twisted Creek

Lisa Kay

Ms. Thomas sets a different tone here from her regular books and it worked for me. I love small town lovin’ and this one was very small, just a rundown lake community. JT changes back and forth from first person POV to third person narrative, and it threw me a bit the first time, but I got used to it. Especially since it is so well written.

Twenty-six year old Allie Daniels, abandoned by her teenage mother when she was three, has inherited a lakeside store cum café outside Lubbock, Texas, from
Ian
Jan 01, 2012 Ian rated it liked it
This is quite an interesting book. In some ways it was like two books, at first it was quirky with mysterious characters doing really odd things, but as the characters began to grow on me it became a more conventional book about people who didn't quite fit in.

Allie, a young woman who is used to things going south on her, inherits a general store in a small remote lake community in Texas. It's run down but having never had anything in her life to call her own she grabs it with both hands and she
Werebot
Oct 06, 2008 Werebot rated it it was amazing
My aunt wrote this book, and I proofread it for her. Of all her books that I've read, this is the best I think. Not a straight 'genre' romance; more modern, less steamy. A fun read. Should be out sometime next year.
Michelle
Mar 23, 2009 Michelle rated it really liked it
In this book, the tone of the writing matched the characters and setting to a degree that made reading it a great escapist experience because it gave the imaginary world a color very different from my everyday life.

After reading it, I felt that the themes were more interesting than the plot for this book. The last line of the book says something about how all of life isn't lived in the present, some of it is lived in the heart.

By this, the author appears to mean that memories of the past are n
Jan Sikes
Dec 05, 2013 Jan Sikes rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone
Recommended to Jan by: Linda Broday
Twisted Creek is a story about a young girl who'd lost all faith in life or anything good happening to her. The only constant in her existence was her grandmother. When Allie received a letter from an attorney informing her that she'd inherited a cabin in Texas from someone she didn't know, she had her doubts, but made up her mind to find out if it was for real or just another disappointment. She felt sure the attorney had made a mistake. She grew to love the band of mis-fits that lived on Twist ...more
Cindy
Jan 20, 2009 Cindy rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone who is in the mood for a feel good story!
Shelves: 2009-read
Becky
Jan 16, 2015 Becky rated it it was amazing
Allie Daniels is poor girl, had a terrible childhood where her mother abandoned her to live with her grandmother and is always looking to just survive. She loves her grandmother, Nana, very much and just wants the best for both of them. She suddenly is an heir to someone named Uncle Jefferson. Someone she has no idea who it is. She inherits a run down store, bait shot, diner and lake property in Twisted Creek Texas. The story is full of "twists" and turns. Her neighbor is a handsome, secretive m ...more
Nancy Anderson
Oct 24, 2015 Nancy Anderson rated it really liked it
Allie Daniel's & her grandma, Nana are just scraping by financially when she learns about an inheritance from "Uncle Jefferson".
They move to Twisted Creek,TX from TN and bring back this Uncle's store which is located on a lake.
Jack, ATF agent w/ Navajo lineage, has a vacation place next door. He is investigating Jefferson's death & drug dealing in the vicinity.
I felt the story slowed & didn't flow well re: the mystery part..but the beginning really grabbed me.
Her characterizati
Shirlene
Allie Daniels and her Nana had traveled many different places. They were always moving to where work could be found. One day a letter found its way to them and it stated that a man by the name of Jefferson Platt had left his land near Lubbock, Texas to Allie upon his death. Allie quit her job in Memphis where they currently lived and decided to go check out the property.
It turned out that Jefferson was someone who her Nana, Edna Daniels, had met and fallen in love with when she was much younger.
Chris
THIS SUMMARY/REVIEW WAS COPIED FROM OTHER SOURCES AND IS USED ONLY AS A REMINDER OF WHAT THE BOOK WAS ABOUT FOR MY PERSONAL INTEREST. ANY PERSONAL NOTATIONS ARE FOR MY RECOLLECTION ONLY

Personally I thought this was a 3--only because I have listened to most of the Harmony series and loved them. I am sure if I had read this first it would be a 4 stars.

everyone needs a fluffy, feel good story once in a while! I could totally empathize with the characters and found this book to be a breezy, heartwa
Gail
Oct 17, 2008 Gail rated it liked it
This was a sweet-hearted book I enjoyed a lot. The heroine has never had anything somebody didn't try to take away from her--and that somebody was usually her mother. Except for her grandmother. Her grandmother loves her unconditionally, and the heroine would do anything for her Nana. Like give up her dream of teaching school to come home and help support her after her grandfather dies. They've been struggling along from one minimum wage job to the next, until she gets a letter that she's inheri ...more
Tressa
Jan 05, 2015 Tressa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, audiobook
I did like Twisted Creek even though I found Allie frustrating at times. I understood why Allie reacted in the manner, but I felt she was overly pessimistic at times. I liked that Allie and Nana found a home and a community in Twisted Creek. While the secondary plot was plausible, I feel that the villain was an easy out. I would have liked a more layered and nuanced exploration of the issue. Even so, I enjoyed listening to the book and plan on reading more by Jodi Thomas.
Kayrene Smither
Apr 12, 2015 Kayrene Smither rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
I found this in my n'orhood book exchange; knew it would be a quick read, and the cover caught my attention. Have never read Jodi Thomas. I really liked this book!!! Very quirky, colorful characters, with lots and lots of subtle humor, intelligent wit and comebacks. I could really see these characters; especially Allie Daniels. Just a country girl that had never had a break; just raised herself up by her boot straps. Mystery, suspense, a twist here and there. A solid, quick read.
Patsy
Oct 24, 2015 Patsy rated it really liked it
Bad luck has been biting at Allie Daniel's heels all her life, so when she inherits a café in a small Texas lake community she's sure there's a catch. But Allie decides to move and brings her grandmother along, since the café gives Nana a chance to do what she loves best-cook. As Allie settles in, she soon discovers that she's not alone anymore-and that sometimes, the only cure for bad luck is gaining the courage to love.
Carol Burnside
Jan 01, 2014 Carol Burnside rated it really liked it
In Jodi Thomas Twisted Creek, bad luck magnet Allie Daniels cant believe there isnt some catch to her inheriting a tiny caf in a small Texas lake community. She brings along her grandmother who loves to cook, and is surprised to find an odd assortment of people to fill her tables and add much-needed money to her pocketbook. But its the enigmatic drifter who strips naked and races the moon across the lake that makes her start to believe that her luck might have changed after all.

Twisted Creek wa
Annie Rayburn
Feb 22, 2010 Annie Rayburn rated it really liked it
In Jodi Thomas’ Twisted Creek, bad luck magnet Allie Daniels can’t believe there isn’t some catch to her inheriting a tiny café in a small Texas lake community. She brings along her grandmother who loves to cook, and is surprised to find an odd assortment of people to fill her tables and add much-needed money to her pocketbook. But it’s the enigmatic drifter who strips naked and races the moon across the lake that makes her start to believe that her luck might have changed after all.

Twisted Cre
Helen
Feb 13, 2016 Helen rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance, mystery
Wow! This was my first book by this author and I found it to be extremely sweet and poignant. It was not the typical romance that I read common or was it a typical mystery. I loved the story and the characters and I'm sad that it is a stand alone book because I definitely want more. more people should read this book I think they would be pleasantly surprised.
Sophia
Jul 31, 2014 Sophia rated it it was amazing
Jodi Thomas is one of my favorite writers. She always manages to catch the character's unique feelings and I can feel them coming to life. However this book was really amazing.
It was full of remarkable, amazing characters - starting from Nana to Willie, Paul and Mrs. Deals and Timothy. They were all so very, very real and so great, I fell in love with them head over heels. I really liked Luka (I always had a thing for the quiet, dangerous type) and I liked Allie too, although she didn't capture
Hannah
Jul 07, 2009 Hannah rated it really liked it
Shelves: romances
Very engaging book - the perfect book for light beach reading.

This is the first Jodi Thomas book I've read, and was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed it. The writing isn't top-notch, but Thomas has a way of drawing you in with some of her phrases and one liners. In places throughout the book, I actually got a bit weepy.

Unlike most reviewers, I found the switch from first to third person narration a bit jarring, but I can understand why Thomas did it, and concede it did help develop the
Sharon
Jul 14, 2015 Sharon rated it it was amazing
I rarely rate a book five stars, but that is not the case with this book. I was drawn in from the first page and I felt like I walked into the setting as if I belonged there. This story not only had my full attention, it was thoroughly enjoyable. All the characters were different in their own way but as the story went on, you could feel all the characters connecting to each other because they all had one thing in common. Losing someone through death or from lack of closeness or not being wanted ...more
Nicole
Sep 07, 2014 Nicole rated it it was amazing
The first couple chapters were a bit slow but after that wow.
I loved Twisted Creek! Good writing. Awesome and believable characters. Great writing. Even PG13 which is a huge plus for me.
Beth L.
Oct 27, 2015 Beth L. rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this story. Lots of interesting characters. A group of misfits form a strong community! My kind of story. Would love to read a continuation. Wonder if the author has or will do this.
Sandra
May 17, 2015 Sandra rated it it was amazing
Loved this book. Quiet , thoughtful and charming. Great read
Jenn
Oct 13, 2012 Jenn rated it really liked it
I really liked this story. Thomas made the characters believable and likable. Allie & Nana are struggling, moving constantly looking for work. When Allie inherits a house/cafe on Twisted Creek, she knows it is a mistake but goes anyway. Once there she falls in love with the place and the people. When her mother comes in and tries to take it away, she fights with a backing of Luke, the mysterious drifter who is always around. Add in the mystery of drug dealing and who Uncle Jefferson is and w ...more
Linda Day
Mar 21, 2012 Linda Day rated it really liked it
Discovered Jodi Thomas w/this book, and immediately ordered up another !

Twisted Creek has a plotline almost as twisted. Allie, a down-on-her-luck young woman, runs out of options and Shazam ! inherits a small cafe in TX, so, taking Nana with her, they head out for what seems to be the only choice, and there face many choices ... most of which result in fun reading.

To say I liked this book would not be sufficient. I loved the storyline, the characters, and the setting. Oughta be a Hallmark movie
Deedee
Jan 05, 2015 Deedee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun, easy, entertaining audio book listen.
Jean
Oct 25, 2014 Jean rated it liked it
A very pleasant light read.
Theresa
Dec 10, 2008 Theresa rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Theresa by: http://thebookbinge.com/2008/09/revie...
What an awesome story! I laughed out loud (in the bowling alley - I got strange looks)! I cried a couple of tears (again, in the bowling alley - even stranger looks and a couple people backing away slowly)! I was sad to finish the book and will reread it again and again. It has a new spot of my favorite reads shelf.

At the end of this book, I cared for not only the lead characters, but all the secondary characters as well. Thomas has a skill at writing well-drawn, believable characters that stick
Mae R
Apr 01, 2016 Mae R rated it liked it
Shelves:
Allie & LUke
Kelly H. Pruitt
Sep 20, 2014 Kelly H. Pruitt rated it really liked it
Great book!
  • Sage Creek (Lonesome Way #1)
  • Just Desserts (Jersey Strong #4)
  • Shotgun Wedding
  • Open Country (Blood Rose, #2)
  • The First Love Cookie Club (Twilight, Texas, #3)
  • The Next Mrs. Blackthorne (Bitter Creek, #6)
  • Talk of the Town (Glory NC, #1)
  • Garrett (McKettricks, #12)
  • Blaze
  • Bayou My Love
  • Home At Last Chance (Last Chance, #2)
  • A Rogue in Texas (Rogues in Texas, #1)
20273
I'm a New York Times and USA Today Best Selling author, wife, mother, in-law, grandmother, sister, friend, and owner of one fat cat.
More about Jodi Thomas...

“At this rate I never want to talk to you again. Stay mad at me, Allie. It allows us to communicate in other ways.” 10 likes