Twisted Creek

Twisted Creek

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  788 ratings  ·  92 reviews
Bad luck has been biting at Allie Daniel's heels all her life, so when she inherits a café in a small Texas lake community she's sure there's a catch. But Allie decides to move and brings her grandmother along, since the café gives Nana a chance to do what she loves best-cook. As Allie settles in, she soon discovers that she's not alone anymore-and that sometimes, the only...more
Published April 1st 2008 by Berkley

To ask other readers questions about Twisted Creek, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Twisted Creek

Lisa Kay

★★★★✩ Ms. Thomas sets a different tone here from her regular books and it worked for me. I love small town lovin’ and this one was very small, just a rundown lake community. JT changes back and forth from first person POV to third person narrative, and it threw me a bit the first time, but I got used to it. Especially since it is so well written.

Twenty-six year old Allie Daniels, abandoned by her teenage mother when she was three, has inherited a lakeside store cum café outside Lubbock, Texas,...more
Jen
This is an amazing book. It's listed as romance but I'd actually call it "women's fiction" because, although Allie and Luke fall in love, the story is about Allie and the people of the community and not about the romance. There are no sex scenes in this book, which is partly why I'm so surprised I loved it. It's just a sweet, beautiful, touching story about a strong young woman and her Nana finding a place to grow and belong.

A community of misfits comes together and becomes a family. The story i...more
Ian
This is quite an interesting book. In some ways it was like two books, at first it was quirky with mysterious characters doing really odd things, but as the characters began to grow on me it became a more conventional book about people who didn't quite fit in.

Allie, a young woman who is used to things going south on her, inherits a general store in a small remote lake community in Texas. It's run down but having never had anything in her life to call her own she grabs it with both hands and she...more
Michelle
In this book, the tone of the writing matched the characters and setting to a degree that made reading it a great escapist experience because it gave the imaginary world a color very different from my everyday life.

After reading it, I felt that the themes were more interesting than the plot for this book. The last line of the book says something about how all of life isn't lived in the present, some of it is lived in the heart.

By this, the author appears to mean that memories of the past are n...more
Jan Sikes
Dec 05, 2013 Jan Sikes rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone
Recommended to Jan by: Linda Broday
Twisted Creek is a story about a young girl who'd lost all faith in life or anything good happening to her. The only constant in her existence was her grandmother. When Allie received a letter from an attorney informing her that she'd inherited a cabin in Texas from someone she didn't know, she had her doubts, but made up her mind to find out if it was for real or just another disappointment. She felt sure the attorney had made a mistake. She grew to love the band of mis-fits that lived on Twist...more
Cindy
Jan 20, 2009 Cindy rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone who is in the mood for a feel good story!
Shelves: 2009-read
Werebot
My aunt wrote this book, and I proofread it for her. Of all her books that I've read, this is the best I think. Not a straight 'genre' romance; more modern, less steamy. A fun read. Should be out sometime next year.
Chris
THIS SUMMARY/REVIEW WAS COPIED FROM OTHER SOURCES AND IS USED ONLY AS A REMINDER OF WHAT THE BOOK WAS ABOUT FOR MY PERSONAL INTEREST. ANY PERSONAL NOTATIONS ARE FOR MY RECOLLECTION ONLY

Personally I thought this was a 3--only because I have listened to most of the Harmony series and loved them. I am sure if I had read this first it would be a 4 stars.

everyone needs a fluffy, feel good story once in a while! I could totally empathize with the characters and found this book to be a breezy, heartwa...more
Gail
This was a sweet-hearted book I enjoyed a lot. The heroine has never had anything somebody didn't try to take away from her--and that somebody was usually her mother. Except for her grandmother. Her grandmother loves her unconditionally, and the heroine would do anything for her Nana. Like give up her dream of teaching school to come home and help support her after her grandfather dies. They've been struggling along from one minimum wage job to the next, until she gets a letter that she's inheri...more
Carol Burnside
In Jodi Thomas��� Twisted Creek, bad luck magnet Allie Daniels can���t believe there isn���t some catch to her inheriting a tiny caf�� in a small Texas lake community. She brings along her grandmother who loves to cook, and is surprised to find an odd assortment of people to fill her tables and add much-needed money to her pocketbook. But it���s the enigmatic drifter who strips naked and races the moon across the lake that makes her start to believe that her luck might have changed after all.

Tw...more
Annie Rayburn
In Jodi Thomas’ Twisted Creek, bad luck magnet Allie Daniels can’t believe there isn’t some catch to her inheriting a tiny café in a small Texas lake community. She brings along her grandmother who loves to cook, and is surprised to find an odd assortment of people to fill her tables and add much-needed money to her pocketbook. But it’s the enigmatic drifter who strips naked and races the moon across the lake that makes her start to believe that her luck might have changed after all.

Twisted Cre...more
Sophia
Jodi Thomas is one of my favorite writers. She always manages to catch the character's unique feelings and I can feel them coming to life. However this book was really amazing.
It was full of remarkable, amazing characters - starting from Nana to Willie, Paul and Mrs. Deals and Timothy. They were all so very, very real and so great, I fell in love with them head over heels. I really liked Luka (I always had a thing for the quiet, dangerous type) and I liked Allie too, although she didn't capture...more
Hannah
Very engaging book - the perfect book for light beach reading.

This is the first Jodi Thomas book I've read, and was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed it. The writing isn't top-notch, but Thomas has a way of drawing you in with some of her phrases and one liners. In places throughout the book, I actually got a bit weepy.

Unlike most reviewers, I found the switch from first to third person narration a bit jarring, but I can understand why Thomas did it, and concede it did help develop the...more
Nicole
The first couple chapters were a bit slow but after that wow.
I loved Twisted Creek! Good writing. Awesome and believable characters. Great writing. Even PG13 which is a huge plus for me.
Jenn
I really liked this story. Thomas made the characters believable and likable. Allie & Nana are struggling, moving constantly looking for work. When Allie inherits a house/cafe on Twisted Creek, she knows it is a mistake but goes anyway. Once there she falls in love with the place and the people. When her mother comes in and tries to take it away, she fights with a backing of Luke, the mysterious drifter who is always around. Add in the mystery of drug dealing and who Uncle Jefferson is and w...more
Linda Day
Discovered Jodi Thomas w/this book, and immediately ordered up another !

Twisted Creek has a plotline almost as twisted. Allie, a down-on-her-luck young woman, runs out of options and Shazam ! inherits a small cafe in TX, so, taking Nana with her, they head out for what seems to be the only choice, and there face many choices ... most of which result in fun reading.

To say I liked this book would not be sufficient. I loved the storyline, the characters, and the setting. Oughta be a Hallmark movie...more
Theresa
Dec 10, 2008 Theresa rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Theresa by: http://thebookbinge.com/2008/09/review-twisted-creek-by-jodi-tho
What an awesome story! I laughed out loud (in the bowling alley - I got strange looks)! I cried a couple of tears (again, in the bowling alley - even stranger looks and a couple people backing away slowly)! I was sad to finish the book and will reread it again and again. It has a new spot of my favorite reads shelf.

At the end of this book, I cared for not only the lead characters, but all the secondary characters as well. Thomas has a skill at writing well-drawn, believable characters that stick...more
Mary Beth
Allie's mother had gotten pregnant at 15 and then left her behind to be raised by her grandparents. Grandpa died and the farm was repossessed. Allie and her Nana lived pillar-to-post for several years when, out of the blue, she found that she had inherited a lake house about an hour outside of Lubbock, Texas. She had no idea who her benefactor was but she happily embraced the worn out house and village of lake residents. She found a sense of home and belonging and of course, love. Good read.
Jeri Hoag
I wanted to try out a new author to me and I picked this up from the library. The writing was really good and the characters were very 3D, but unfortunately the plot was very slow it was hard to get engaged in the story. Also, the relationship between the characters didn't really come to fruition that I would expect in a romance, what? That is what I was left saying by the end of the book. I may try Jodi Thomas again, but not sure. I did enjoy her overall language and writing ability.
Carla Stewart
Jodi weaves stories about everyday characters who find themselves in extraordinary circumstances. I love her Texas settings, and in Twisted Creek, you can almost smell the just-caught catfish from the lake of the dying lake community. When Allie Daniels inherits a cafe from an uncle she didn't know existed, she moves there with her grandmother, just happy to have a place to call home. It soon becomes apparent that secrets abound and love is in the air. Terrific summer read.
Shari Straight
This is the 1st contemporary fiction novel I read that contains both 1st and 3rd point-of-view. Well, maybe the only one that comes to mind at the moment... I expected a romance (although after checking the spine of the book, I fooled myself...), and it was to a certain degree. The characters were interesting (quirky and differect). But I didn't expect this author to stray so far from her regular releases.

This was an excellent book, but just not what I expected!
Virginia
As I was reading this I realized I had read it before. So the one thing that struck me the most is that while I liked this book it had not made me want to devour all Jodi Thomas books like the first in the Harmony series has. I think it is a good example of a writer progressing in her craft. I can see elements of her style in this one that I really like in her later books. Good chance she will just get better and better.
Patricia
My "stopped read" shelf is for those books that I liked to read...right up to the point where they crossed the line of what I deem appropriate into the realm of what I do not deem appropriate and then I simply stopped reading the book. In this case, it was chapter 33. It is a shame, too, because I liked the characters and was looking forward to more in the series. Now, I am not reading on.
Casey
Jul 02, 2008 Casey rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone looking for an addictive book!
Recommended to Casey by: My Local Librarian
Okay... so maybe my brain has turned to mush....
I mean.. I know I'm quicksand for those oh-so cheesy romance novels... but I really did like this book.It was a little less steam and a little more story.The mystery in it may have been a little predictable to me- but I was raised on Nancy Drew mysteries- so I'm probably not the best person to judge how well it was put together.

Tina
Allie and Nana were such wonderful characters! The author told the story in such a way that it made me wish I was there as part of the community. She did a gread job of creating an interesting cast of "locals." I enjoyed the storyline so much that I wished it would have just kept going. Just the right combination of romance, mystery and hope. Definitely would recommend this book.
Luckngrace
After years of being bounced from pillar to post, Allie yearns for a real home for Nana and herself. When a message arrives that an unknown relative has left her a house in his last will, they head out for Twisted Creek, Texas where she will find danger, a family of sorts and her heart's desire. A warm and cozy read; I look forward to finding more Jodi Thomas Texas jewels.
Lori
What a wonderful book. I admit to being unhappy when I realized it was in first person (not my favorite), but it worked. And everything in 1st person was from Allie's perspective. Everything from Luke's POV was in 3rd person. Such a great way to present the story. I loved how Allie slowly got her dreams back, and how the Nesters grew to become a family. Wonderful.
Lyn Ehley
I really enjoyed this right from the start. I don't usually read too romantic fiction but this was more romantic suspense, without too much detail on the romance side. More of a friendship blossoming under life and death struggles. I think I will read more of her mainstream fiction - the Texan series sounds too mushy!!!
Lori
I really need to start writing down which blog I get these recommendations from, because I picked up this book solely based on another book blogger's recommendation. Whoever you are, thank you!! This story was amazing! Compelling, suspenseful, great characters. I enjoyed it from beginning to end.
  • Sage Creek (Lonesome Way #1)
  • The First Love Cookie Club (Twilight, Texas, #3)
  • Just Desserts
  • A Not-So-Perfect Past
  • Home At Last Chance (Last Chance, #2)
  • Talk of the Town (Glory NC, #1)
  • The Next Mrs. Blackthorne (Bitter Creek, #6)
  • Open Country (Blood Rose, #2)
  • Blackberry Summer (Hope's Crossing #1)
  • Brides of Prairie Gold (Dangerous Men, #2)
  • A Creed Country Christmas (Montana Creeds, #4)
  • The Braddock Boys: Colton (Braddock Boys, #4) (Love At First Bite, #7)
  • A Rogue in Texas (Rogues in Texas, #1)
  • Down by the River (Grace Valley Trilogy, #3)
20273
I'm a New York Times and USA Today Best Selling author, wife, mother, in-law, grandmother, sister, friend, and owner of one fat cat.
More about Jodi Thomas...
The Texan's Wager (Wife Lottery, #1) When a Texan Gambles (Wife Lottery, #2) Welcome to Harmony (Harmony #1) A Texan's Luck (Wife Lottery, #3) Tall, Dark, and Texan (Whispering Mountain, #3)

“At this rate I never want to talk to you again. Stay mad at me, Allie. It allows us to communicate in other ways.” 9 likes