Start by marking “Ego-Tripping and Other Poems for Young People” as Want to Read:
Ego-Tripping and Other Poems for Young People

Ego-Tripping and Other Poems for Young People

4.35 of 5 stars 4.35  ·  rating details  ·  162 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Insightful and fun, this collection of poetry captures the essence of the African American experience for young people.
Published November 1st 1993 by Chicago Review Press (first published 1974)

To ask other readers questions about Ego-Tripping and Other Poems for Young People, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ego-Tripping and Other Poems for Young People

Rebecca Moon
Copyright date: 1993
Number of pages: 76
Grades: 5th – 7th
Where you identified the author: Our Textbook

2. Book Annotation: Nikki Giovanni writes poems that would be easy for children in a middle-class or low-income African American community to identify with.
3. Literary Category: Historical Fiction
4. Reading Notes: In classic Giovanni style, these...more
CH - Marvin Childress
Author: Nikki Giovanni; Grades: 3-8

Ego-Tripping is a collection of poems for young people that touches on everything from self-awareness to drug use. Nikki Giovanni finds moments in time, particularly black youth moments, that report on cultural issues.

This is a great book. Some of the poems are not the greatest, but there is something in it for everyone. At some point, the reader can relate to, or be inspired by one of the poems. I like the original artwork a lot better. I would use this book w...more
Kesha
Beautiful poems with a heavy Afro-centric vibe to reflect the times they were created. I would not recommend for young people due to the mature language several poems contain.
Amani Watson
That there was a lot of things going on for the colored people like racism and segregation and they couldn't help but to speak in their minds.
Tamera
Ego-Tripping is one of my ALL TIME FAVORITE poems. She is a MASTER! And very friendly in person FYI!!!!!
Nikki
What can I say...she is my idol, my mentor, my namesake!!! I am excited to give this book to my nephews!
Kelli Wolfenbarger
This book contains so many good poems. I enjoyed it more than I anticipated.
Nicole Tarpey
Great pre-teen book for gaining confidence, especially the Ego-Tripping poem.
Brandy
An excellent work for young adults!
RK Byers
first book i ever read. i was five.
Ermy
i actually want this book to own.
M.
Wonderful read!
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2014
Crystal
Crystal marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2014
Kimber
Kimber added it
Aug 19, 2014
Fathima Cader
Fathima Cader marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2014
Belinda
Belinda marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2014
Alphonso Taylor
Alphonso Taylor marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2014
Angela
Angela marked it as to-read
May 23, 2014
Ana
Ana marked it as to-read
May 16, 2014
Shelly
Shelly marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2014
Jusna Perrin
Jusna Perrin marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2014
22050
Yolande Cornelia "Nikki" Giovanni is a Grammy-nominated American poet, activist and author.

She lives in Blacksburg, Virginia, where she is a University Distinguished Professor at Virginia Tech.
More about Nikki Giovanni...
Rosa Love Poems The Collected Poetry, 1968-1998 The Selected Poems, 1968-1995 Cotton Candy on a Rainy Day