Start by marking “Best Shorts: Favorite Stories for Sharing” as Want to Read:
Best Shorts: Favorite Stories for Sharing

Best Shorts: Favorite Stories for Sharing

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  109 ratings  ·  22 reviews
Newbery Medal–winning author Avi has selected short stories from the past and present in this entertaining collection for young readers. And whether you begin by reading alone or reading aloud, these stories are some of the very best to share.

Featuring loyal pets, rogue waves, ghosts who use cell phones, and young people caught up in events beyond their control, these stor
Published September 25th 2006 by HMH Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Best Shorts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Best Shorts

Dad
I only read the story I checked out this book for. It was JIMMY TAKES VANISHING LESSONS by Walter R. Brooks, pp. 308-320. I read this book as a boy and wanted to find if it was still around. When I read it, it was one of the Scholastic books my brother had purchased at school. I read it on our trip to San Francisco.
It always fascinated me. It was about a boy that went to his aunt's home that she couldn't rent because it was haunted. He saw the ghost and it scared him (Jimmy). However, he got ov
Rebecca
Teachers are always asking me for short stories--this anthology does a good job of gathering up a bunch of good-to-read-outloud stories by classic children's authors. Appropriate for 4-8th grade--which is nice.

Confession: I read Baby in the Night Deposit Box to a group of 6th graders a few days ago, and I'm pretty sure a few of them fell asleep... so maybe it's a little less thrilling than I think.
Paula
It's been awhile since I've read a book of short stories. I picked up this one because I'm thinking of doing a summer reading club based on short stories, and I wanted some ideas. This is an interesting collection, with some stories based on historical events, a couple of ghost stories, and two old classics - "Rip Van Winkle" and "The Lady or the Tiger". Does it make me cynical when I say that the first time I read that story, I was in a real quandary as to which door the Princess chose for her ...more
Shivering William
There are some real gems here, especially the editor Avi's short, which was surprising because I haven't enjoyed his writing in the past. Other stories are fine, they get the job done, while others felt rather trying . . .

My favorites:

Rogue Wave by Theodore Taylor (very simple but very good)
Scout's Honor by Avi (hilarious)
The Dog of Pompeii by Louis Untermeyer (heart-wrenching!)
Nuts by Natalie Babbitt (short and sweet)
Ho-ichi the Earless by Rafe Martin (spooky)
Zlateh the Goat by Isaac Bashevis S
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Dianna Geers for TeensReadToo.com

In BEST SHORTS, you never know what surprise you're going to get next. Unlike many short story collections, which usually revolve around some thread of a theme, the stories Avi selected for this anthology come from all over the genre spectrum. The one thing they all have in common, however, is that they are all great little adventures you can experience without the big time commitment of an entire novel.

Readers can get freaked out by seeing what happ
Corinne
Technically a collection of short stories, not a chapter book. This collection is so unique and varied. From writing style, to genre to character choice, each story offered something different. I really enjoyed almost every story. Do not read it all in one go though. It's great to pick up and come back to and it was also great to share and read out loud.
Elizabeth
I'm not generally a fan of short stories, but from time to time I can be persuaded.

In this case, it was the inclusion of "The Baby in the Night Deposit Box" by Megan Whalen Turner. I like both her short stories and novels, and this one did not disappoint.

I also enjoyed:

Scout's Honor by Avi
The Town Cats by Lloyd Alexander
To Starch a Spook by Andrew Benedict
The Librarian and the Robbers by Margaret Mahy
Jimmy Takes Vanishing Lessons by Walter R. Brooks

From which it can be concluded that if I am go
Sep 14, 2009 Jennifer rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: ya

Best shorts is just what it sounds like, a bunch of really good short stories by different authors. I really enjoyed the variety and quality of the stories. The authors ranged from fairly current to 1850's. It had a nice well rounded feeling.

When I was young I always thought that short stories were easier to write because they were shorter. Now that I'm gray haired and much wiser (wink, wink) I know that a good short story is harder to write. You have to grip the reader and still give them th
Mrs.Redlien
I have no idea why this book is out of print, but it is amazing. I got it from Greenwich Library.
Portia
Great short stories in here!! And not a boring loser one in the whole lot. This gave me some good ideas of authors to explore and was thoroughly delightful reading for the kids and me. The selection varies widely in length and subject matter, with a nice heavy dose of mild horror stories that appeal. My favorites were "Baby in the Night Deposit Box" by Megan Whalen Turner and "Jimmy Takes Vanishing Lessons" by Walter R. Brooks.
Clickety
I was familiar with several of the classics from this collection - "The Dog of Pompeii" and "The Lady or the Tiger" were in an old literature book that I inherited from Aunt Lois (I think). The other stories were classics in the same vein: sweet, clever, and insightful. I don't recall any that were like OMG SO AMAZING, but there weren't really any stinkers, either. A good all-around collection.
Dolly
Jun 27, 2009 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: older children and parents reading with them
This is a really great collection of short stories. Our girls aren't quite ready for most of the stories yet, but I read them a few. It's a wonderful group of authors and a very diverse bunch of tales. Some are more mature than I would advise for the Juvenile section (perhaps more for the Young Adult section), but overall they are great and I loved them.
Jad
I can honestly say that it was a really scary, and also interesting book filled with scary things in it. Each story was different and special in its own way. I honestly thought it was going to be a funny book with funny short stories because of its cover which I thought looked funny. I think I shouldn't judge a book from it's cover.
Erin
A collection of 24 stories by various authors, both old and new. Some are funny, some chilling, and all of them are beautifully written. Favorites include: The Caller by Robert D. San Souci, Ho-ichi the Earless by Rafe Martin, The Librarian and the Robbers by Margaret Mahy, and The Baby in the Night Deposit Box by Megan Whalen Turner.
Julie
I don't read a lot of short stories. Usually I like to get immersed in the book and the characters, which is more difficult in short stories. But this was quite fun to read. I enjoyed some of the stories better than others, but it was a great mix of different voices and genres. Delightful.
Steve
A decent mix of short stories for children, spanning most of the 20th century. A good choice for the bookshelf of any family, especially those interested in promoting literature over popular fiction.
Angela
An excellent collection by some of my favorite writers and some new favorites that I'll be exploring further. Every story had a unique perspective. Definitely recommended for everyone!
Jess
Even though I really don't like short stories, I read this one to look for read-alouds and found several possibilities. If you like short stories, you might really like it.
B
Some of the stories in here would lend themselves to being read outloud by a volunteer parent to their child's older elementary class.
Malia Moore
There are some fab shorts in this book, and all of them are great for long car trips!
Suzanne Zulauf
Some great ones to include in mini-lessons!
Leah
"Some Where Good Some Were Not"

-Leah
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2015
china
china added it
Jun 18, 2015
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Guys Write for Guys Read
  • 13: Thirteen Stories That Capture the Agony and Ecstasy of Being Thirteen
  • Shelf Life: Stories by the Book
  • Every Living Thing
  • Everest Trilogy
  • Little Lit: It Was a Dark and Silly Night...
  • Patty Reed's Doll: The Story of the Donner Party
  • The Big Kerplop!: The Original Adventure of the Mad Scientists' Club (Mad Scientists' Club, #3)
  • The Last Newspaper Boy in America
  • The SOS File
  • Run Away Home (Phantom Stallion, #24)
  • Twelve Impossible Things Before Breakfast
  • Twice Told: Original Stories Inspired by Original Artwork
  • The Birthday Ball
  • The Clockwork Scarab: Sneak Preview
  • The Zombie Project (The Boxcar Children Mysteries #128)
  • A Day of Pleasure: Stories of a Boy Growing Up in Warsaw
  • Riders of the Pony Express
Avi is a pen name for Edward Irving Wortis, but he says, "The fact is, Avi is the only name I use."
Born in 1937, Avi has created many fictional favorites such as The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle, Nothing but the Truth, and The Crispin series. His work is very much desired by readers young and old.
More about Avi...
The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle Crispin: The Cross of Lead (Crispin #1) Nothing But the Truth Poppy (Tales of Dimwood Forest, #1) The Seer of Shadows