Start by marking “Poppy (Tales of Dimwood Forest, #1)” as Want to Read:
Poppy (Tales of Dimwood Forest, #1)

Poppy (Dimwood Forest #1)

3.94  ·  Rating Details ·  6,195 Ratings  ·  483 Reviews
At the very edge of Dimwood Forest stood an old charred oak where, silhouetted by the moon, a great horned owl sat waiting. The owl's name was Mr. Ocax, and he looked like death himself. With his piercing gaze, he surveyed the lands he called his own, watching for the creatures he considered his subjects. Not one of them ever dared to cross his path . . . until the terribl ...more
Unknown Binding, 163 pages
Published May 3rd 2005 by Scholastic (first published January 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Poppy, please sign up.

Trinity
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Awesomeness
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Samantha
Nov 26, 2011 Samantha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone =)
I usually love owls, they are majestic and brave and wise.....I can't really say the same for the antagonist in this lovely tale. Mr. Ocax is a great-horned owl that I can't really say I like. He is a marvelous antagonist. Not my favorite, but still one of the best I've encountered in my many years of reading.

Poppy is a very brave heroine. She is small, scared and mistaught all her life. She loves deeply and grieves extensively for her boyfriend Ragweed who was sadly eaten by Mr. Ocax on the ni
Joey Oborne
In the 1st some chapters I did not like the book but then when Poppy when the see New House the story got better because Poppy when on a adventure so the story got better and at the end the story changed a lot.
Mackenzie L
Feb 24, 2017 Mackenzie L rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The book was excellent but, the first chapters were boring. I think that when Poppy met Ereth,the whole entire book, you could not put it down. That was how great it was!
Colleen
Aug 21, 2008 Colleen rated it it was amazing
Zach read this in class, liked it so much, checked it out from the library and read it again. A story of being strong even when you are afraid, and not letting the powerful control you when they rule with cruelty.
sarafem
Mar 07, 2008 sarafem rated it liked it
Shelves: 2008, avi
Really, there are too many damn kid's stories about mice. What is the attraction? The Tale of Desperaux, the Ralph Mouse Cleary series, about a billion picture books. And now this series too. I guess mice are cute when they aren't pooing in your silverware drawer or chewing through your favorite sweaters. I don't really get the attraction. I only read this book because it was Avi; I had no interest in yet another mouse story. These books multiply as if they were rodents themselves. That's not re ...more
Marika Gillis
This is a cute story about a deer mouse who, with a little help from a cranky porcupine, saves her family from the clutches of a great horned owl who has been deceiving and bullying the mouse family for years. The animals in this book are amazing characters, so well-developed and engaging. I want to find a way to use this book with my third graders next year, and I will definitely read this one with my kids one day!
Michael M
Jun 17, 2009 Michael M rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thought that this book was a realy good book. I liked how the book had all these chalenges that a normal person would think easy like when Poppy crosses the stream. I also liked how Ereth would call Poppy names like Plopy and Flopy and that cracked me up. I liked this book alot and I thought this book would be great for anyone who likes books that you can never put down and are very exciting.
Sheri
Oct 07, 2008 Sheri rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Teachers of elementary grades
Recommended to Sheri by: Second grade teacher
I read this for 5 years straight as a read aloud to my third grade class and they loved the story. They even checked it out and read it again themselves. Great book with animals and a great story of courage of Poppy.
Bella Paglia
Mar 06, 2017 Bella Paglia rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The book wasn't that good because 2 animals died and I don't like when animals die they smell disgusting and it's upsetting. My rating was a 1.
Tawni Williams
Feb 16, 2017 Tawni Williams rated it really liked it
I read this out loud to my kids and absolutely loved it for them. They constantly asked me to read them more. Well written, very entertaining.
Irene
Feb 10, 2013 Irene rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Older Elementary Grades, Maybe Grades 2 or 3 through 5
Recommended to Irene by: Isabelle's 1st Grade Teacher
Shelves: children
Michael
Sep 15, 2016 Michael rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Read on a friend's suggestion, I enjoyed Poppy more than the somewhat comparable Redwall. The worldbuilding, for one, is clearer: it's our world, with talking animals living out their lives. What is best, however, is the naturalism of the story. Thoroughly believable and charming characters are drawn through the plot by exigences of ecology: the mouse population is outgrowing the capacity of their residence to feed them; an owl connives to keep them in place to ensure his future food supply; and ...more
Kathy Roderer
This book is the first book by Avi that I have read. It caught my eye, because of the owl on the cover. My class recently dissected owl pellets and learned a bit about owls, so I thought this may be a fine read aloud for my third grade class. Poppy, the main character, is actually a mouse. The owl in the story, Mr. Ocax, is the bully and antagonist. Due to disobeying her father's strict rules, Poppy's best friend, Ragweed, is attacked and eaten by Mr.Ocax early in the story and Poppy just misses ...more
Loralee
Oct 06, 2016 Loralee added it
Shelves: read-with-kids
I think technically we were supposed to read 'Ragweed' first, but the kids didn't have any problem following along and keeping up with the characters. This is one of the best books we've read together in terms of forcing the kids to really think about why certain characters act and think the way they do. They really made connections about the character's motives and how that plays out in the story. They also loved the map at the beginning and we kept referring back to the map to help us understa ...more
Sisi
Nov 18, 2014 Sisi rated it really liked it
I like this book, I always was a sucker for animal adventures, and this book makes it show why I love it. The characters devolep well and the story is kinda like a prisoner tying to escape the warden or overthrow him, I like those kinda story's. Although this does have some cons, one of the characters die early and I feel like if they gave him more time to develop he could've been a good edition to the book. I also hate the one of the characters, he's to lazy and I keep screaming in my head,"do ...more
Lars Guthrie
My favorite Avi so far? 'The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle.' But I'll give this talking mouse tale and the others in the series some credit for striking a spark with some kids with whom I've worked, and for the striking illustrations by Brian Floca (including a map). (I love books--like the 'Guardians of Ga'hoole' where maps are important.) For my money, though, it's not up there with 'Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH,' or 'Stuart Little,' or 'The Cricket in Times Square,' or 'Dragon Rider ...more
Stephanie Jobe
I got this book at a book fair when I was in elementary or middle school. At that point I was already a Redwall fanatic, thus the lure of a story about a brave mouse was irresistible. Poppy comes from a family of deer mice led by her father, but he is really nothing more than a puppet for the owl, Mr. Ocax. Poppy’s story is filled with love and loss. She shows great courage as she faces the owl who almost killed her and the dangerous porcupine. She travels far all to protect her family. This is ...more
Luann
Nov 25, 2008 Luann rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, childrens, 2008
This was better than I expected. Poppy is very reminiscent of Mrs. Frisby. Recommended for students who like talking animal stories, but aren't quite ready for Redwall or Watership Down.
Kate Matson
I read this in class for 5th grade, and wow. Just wow. It was beyond amazing! I LOVE this book! You have to read it. Even though it's about mice, it's so well written. A must read for EVERYONE.
Amy
Feb 11, 2011 Amy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
One of the best read alouds ever! Starts with a bang...and ohm the writing is so great! Vivid verbs, great descriptions, always becomes a classroom favorite! I've read every year since 1999!
Karen
Jun 30, 2016 Karen rated it liked it
Shelves: jacob
Jacob listened to the audio. He said it was ok and would like to listen to the next story in this series..krb 6/30/16
Abby
hey maddie do you remember this one too
Sean Hartzog
AWSOME SPOILERS Mouse Kills Owl! WHAT THE HECK!
Becky
Mar 21, 2016 Becky rated it really liked it
My 5 year old really liked it.
M3
Sep 19, 2016 M3 rated it it was amazing
excellent.
Stefanie Burns
Jan 15, 2017 Stefanie Burns rated it it was ok
Very detailed writing of a deer mouses adventures in finding where her family can go as in their current home they are running out of food. Overall, ok book. Long and a little boring. Like that the owl is killed. End of story was odd and I didn't like the setup for another story at the end with Poppy and her babies.
Room 12
Nov 17, 2016 Room 12 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
You will like this book because it's very dramatic, exciting, and surprising. It's about a deer mouse who goes on an adventure to prove an owl wrong. But it's really about love, family, survival and hope. You will like the part when Poppy meets Ereth...
Tricia Fraser
Feb 24, 2017 Tricia Fraser rated it really liked it
My 8yo picked up this book at a library book sale, along with Poppy and Rye. Now he wants all of them! I read this one to gauge whether or not it would be worth it for us to buy the rest, and I definitely think they're worth having.
Cheryl Loveless
Mar 17, 2017 Cheryl Loveless rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids
This book is a favorite at our house.
Nate
Feb 24, 2017 Nate rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kids and I really enjoyed reading this aloud!
Books 'n More: Request Shelter 4 5 Apr 14, 2016 03:43AM
Books 'n More: Claiming 5 5 Apr 13, 2016 06:14PM
Books 'n More: Create a character 9 5 Apr 05, 2016 03:57PM
Books 'n More: Azalea's shelter 2 4 Apr 05, 2016 12:56PM
Books 'n More: Chapters 16-20 1 2 Apr 03, 2016 03:34PM
Books 'n More: Chapters 11-15 1 1 Apr 03, 2016 03:33PM
  • Young Fredle (Davis Farm, #2)
  • A Mouse Called Wolf
  • There's an Owl in the Shower
  • Dominic
  • The Crow-Girl: The Children of Crow Cove
  • The Mob
  • The Stories Julian Tells
  • Adventures Beyond Nutmouse Hall (Tumtum and Nutmeg #1-3)
  • The World According to Humphrey (According to Humphrey, #1)
  • Wolf Story
  • Carlotta's Kittens (Cat Pack #3)
  • The Cheshire Cheese Cat: A Dickens of a Tale
  • A Rat's Tale
  • We Can't All Be Rattlesnakes
  • Urchin of the Riding Stars (The Mistmantle Chronicles, #1)
  • Knights of the Kitchen Table (Time Warp Trio, #1)
  • Owls in the Family
  • Gooseberry Park
Avi is a pen name for Edward Irving Wortis, but he says, "The fact is, Avi is the only name I use." Born in 1937, Avi has created many fictional favorites such as The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle, Nothing but the Truth, and the Crispin series. His work is popular among readers young and old.
More about Avi...

Dimwood Forest (6 books)
  • Ragweed (Tales of Dimwood Forest, #0)
  • Poppy and Rye (Dimwood Forest, #2)
  • Ereth's Birthday (Dimwood Forest, #3)
  • Poppy's Return (Dimwood Forest, #4)
  • Poppy and Ereth (Dimwood Forest, #5)