Start by marking “Clifford's ABC” as Want to Read:
Clifford's ABC

Clifford's ABC (Clifford the Big Red Dog)

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  147 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Clifford tells the children what words begin with a particular letter of the alphabet.
Published September 1st 1986 by Cartwheel (first published September 1st 1984)

To ask other readers questions about Clifford's ABC, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Clifford's ABC

Mika Perez
I like the fact that in Clifford's ABC one sees multiple illustrations for multiple words for each letter. However, some important traits of an alphabet book are missing. The lowercase letters are not what are taught in the schools, there is no interesting story to keep a child interested, and they use different variations of each letter in the words - which can confuse children terribly. This would be good for older kids, but teaching children out of this book doesn't seem fully realistic, even ...more
Rosalinda
Setting: N/A
POV: N/A

Summary: This book is great for introducing young students to the alphabet. The author of this book includes a list of words that begin with the particular letter on each page. I believe including a list of words in addition to an illustration is very beneficial for young students. They are introduced to a variety of words that will help them remember each letter of the alphabet. There is no story or setting to this book but the memorable characters, Clifford and Emily Eliza
Rebecca Durham sagoe
I loved this book because it would be perfect to use in a kindergarten classroom. For each letter it has specific words that start with that letter in the book. I love this because kids will be able to remember their letters better when associating the letter with something they like.
Erika
Mar 17, 2014 Erika rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: march
I thought this book was okay. It's a good way to introduce words that begin with different letters of the alphabet. I felt like there was an overwhelming amount of words for each letter though. I probably wouldn't use this book until the child really knows the alphabet.
Cory
Mar 31, 2014 Cory rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: march
I love Clifford!This book is a great book to learn one's ABC's. I think that children reflect well with the Clifford character and the fun loving stories he has. I highly recommend this book.
Russell
Why is the wolf a werewolf? Wouldn't an actual wolf have sufficed? Do all elves have antennae? Bridwell is clearly off the rails, here.
PWRL
Nov 05, 2014 PWRL marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: zzz2014-nov-new
SM
Elizabeth S
Does NOT have a story. Each page covers one letter of the alphabet. You see Clifford and Emily Elizabeth with labeled objects that all begin with the designated letter. There is also a list of all the objects to the side, to help you in talking with your toddler about them. More useful as a device for conversation with your toddler about letters.
Jen Roark
I really like Clifford's ABC by Norman Bridwell because it expands the kids vocabulary. Instead of just listing the letters and possibly one word that starts with the letter, she lists several words.. This is good because it lets kids understand more words which will help them in the future.
Amanda
This one turned out to be a winner, as I supposed it would when pre-reading it. For each letter there is a whole list and picture with each item in the list. After a while, when I read a word off the list, my son would start finding the words on the page. Helpful for a pre-reader.
Nancy
Bridwell’s very cute dog Clifford introduces each letter of the alphabet with loads of examples. A good ABC book for young children, especially for fans of Clifford.
Cornelius
For kindergarten children, I would use this book in the classroom to help children learn vocabulary words that begins with the letters of the alphabet from A-Z.
Shannon
See my comments on Count on Clifford... I also remember being annoyed it wasn't ABCs or ABC's instead of ABC.
Kirei
Sep 07, 2008 Kirei rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: preschoolers
Shelves: younger-kids
There is nothing special about this ABC book. It is a little outdated with words like "Eskimo."
Theresa
good early reader, using texet to relate to the television show
Eireanne
On the suggested summer reading list for students.
Ruthie
One of the LONGEST books ive read!!!!
Rachel
I liked it. ⭐⭐⭐
Lindsey
Lindsey marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2015
Andrea
Andrea marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2015
Shellii Huff
Shellii Huff marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2015
Rin
Rin marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2015
Karisa
Karisa marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2015
  • Alphabatics
  • Alphabet Mystery
  • More Spaghetti, I Say! (Hello Reader, Level 2)
  • Me Too, Iguana
  • The Handmade Alphabet
  • Five Little Penguins Slipping On The Ice
  • Alphabet Rescue
  • The Rescuers Down Under
  • Max's Christmas
  • The Berenstain Bears and the Ghost of the Forest
  • Arthur's Birthday (Arthur Adventure Series)
  • Gathering the Sun: An Alphabet In Spanish And English
  • Frog Goes to Dinner
  • Miss Spider's ABC
  • Curious George Plays Baseball
  • Who Made This Cake?
Norman Bridwell is an American author and cartoonist, best-known for the Clifford the Big Red Dog series of children's books. Bridwell attended John Herron School of Art in Indianapolis, Indiana. He currently resides on Martha's Vineyard, MA, where he continues to write an average of two books a year.

More about Norman Bridwell...

Clifford the Big Red Dog (1 - 10 of 70 books)
  • Clifford, We Love You (Clifford the Big Red Dog)
  • Clifford and the Big Parade (Clifford)
  • Clifford and the Big Storm (Clifford)
  • Clifford and the Grouchy Neighbors
  • Clifford at the Circus
  • Clifford Barks!
  • Clifford Gets a Job
  • Clifford Goes to Hollywood
  • Clifford Goes to the Doctor
  • Clifford Goes To Washington
Clifford the Big Red Dog Clifford's Halloween Clifford The Small Red Puppy Clifford The Firehouse Dog Clifford's Birthday Party