You Can Do It!

You Can Do It!

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  72 ratings  ·  22 reviews

Tony Dungy's little brother, Linden, is a third grader who is having a bad day at school. Linden is the youngest of the Dungy family and the least motivated because he hasn't found "it." In a family where everyone seems to have found their special talent, all Linden knows is that he wants to make people happy.

With encouragement from his parents, a helping hand from his ol...more
Published July 8th 2008 by Little Simon Inspirations

Julia Jasztal
...

(Mommy's review from 7/16/10)

I wasn't sure if Julia would like this because she's very anti-boy at the moment and the cover shows two boys and a football. I liked the title of the book and I liked what I assumed, from the title, what the story would be about so I decided to try and I'm so happy I did. I should note that I usually shy away from books written by celebs whether they be actresses/actors, atheletes, politicians, etc. and I didn't know this was written by a former NFL player. I als...more
Dale
In You Can Do It Tony Dungy takes us back to his childhood in Michigan and tells the story of his little brother, Linden, who is a cut-up in class but can't seem to find his way. He can't figure out what is his "it". Tony is an athlete. His sisters take care of animals. What is his thing, his "it"?

To Dungy's credit, the story is simple, but not preachy and not so simple that it bores the adult reader. I read right to the end and was genuinely interested in seeing how it came out. The illustrati...more
Seth Sharpe
I thought this was a great book that delivers a great message to kids. It is a story about Tony Dungy's little brother trying to discover what he wants to do. All of his siblings have their own unique talents and know what they want to do with their life but that isn't the case for him. His knack for making people smile turns into dentistry. I looked into Dungy's other books some more and found all of his children's books to be perfect for young readers. He uses his experience in dealing with yo...more
Nikki Smith
The book You Can Do It, is a story about a little boy who wants to find what he will be when he grows up. With the help of his brother and parents, he soon finds his passion of making people smile turn into the job of being a dentist. This book was a very cute children's book and encompassed the ideas of family and behavior. Some of the morals of treating siblings right and having faith in what is to come. This book talked about praying to God although the main focus was faith, it could be a sen...more
Dana Pressnell
Tony Dungy, coach for the Indianapolis colts writes about his little brothers uncertainty of what he wants to be when he grows up. Encouraging. Including praying for guidance
Tyffani Mine
This fictional narrative tells about a young boy who cannot seem to find his “it” or career of choice and purpose in life. Linden, looks to his parents, siblings, and community members for advice but later finds out his answer was within. As a teacher, I may not use the story in the classroom because of its continuous reference to religion. However, it could teach about family and goals and about persistence. It could also be used to teach about different form of dialogue, because in the story T...more
Brittany
This book was about a child trying to find his "it", which is another word for a career that he will enjoy. But at the end of the story he figures out that he wants to be a dentist after a painful encounter with his own dentist. However, the writing style of this author can be confusing but its a great motivational book for children that are trying find their "it". This book many children may relate to because many children are worried are finding their "it" too.
Josiah
This book contains some nice variations on the Little Engine That Could parable, including connotations centered upon the dungy family's Christian life and the way that it affected their attitudes going forward, with Tony Dungy in regard to his football and with his brother, too, in choosing a career path.
This is a well-written book, and I would recommend it.
Carman
Linden is feeling insecure as everyone around him has an idea about his future and he does not. I would use this book to emphasize to students that everyone grows at their own pace and it may take time to figure out what is good for them. This book is sure to be on my classroom shelf.
Shira
Everyone at some point and time in their life wants to know their purpose in life. The main character in this book Linden finds his purpose in life through a painful sensation in his mouth and guidance from his family. This book would be great to motivate young children.
Emily Blay
This story has a great message: you can do it. No matter what someone is facing as long as they try their best they can make it through. This is a great lesson for all students to learn. No matter what background they come from I want all my students to feel hopefully.
Efundunke
I love it every time that I read it. My kindergarten students loved it. We talked about what it means to find your "it," what you love to do. This book could also be read during career day, especially if students do not know what they want to be when they grow up.
Paris
I would recommend this book to 1st-4th grade readers because of the message the author conveys. I know at some point, children will wonder what their "it" is. I think reading this book would be a good way to motivate and promote self-reflection.
This book is great because it teaches children that they are unique in their likings, and that they will find their niche when the time is right. It teaches perserverance and dedication, as well as the importance of family support.
Keia Arnold
What I liked most about this book is how it inspires children to dream. It also shows that you don't have to know exactly what your future holds as long as you follow your dreams and have faith that everything will work out in the end.
Monique Mcdonald
absolutely amazing book. Its inspiration and dreams come true. It teaches children to have hope and always have faith.
Carmen
Way too long to be a children's book. Should be filed under Religion, not Children's.
Shantia Redd
This inspirational book teaches children that they can be what ever they aspire to be.
Kristin Sprague
this goes along with the idea that you can be the change you want too see in the world.
Suzanne
Excellent picture book for older students (grades 1-3).
Candi
Aug 17, 2008 Candi marked it as to-read
Shelves: books-for-kids
Ages 4 to 7
Andrew
Jul 08, 2008 Andrew is currently reading it
YAY!!!
Dania Radwan
Dania Radwan marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2014
Demetrius
Demetrius marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2014
Kim Hampton
Kim Hampton marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2014
Walia Mwamba
Walia Mwamba marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Tony Dungy is a former professional football player and retired coach for the Indianapolis Colts. During his seven years leading the Colts, he became the first African American coach to win a Super Bowl. He was also one of the most respected and popular NFL coaches in the league. Colleagues and friends consider him to be a family man of great faith and Christian character.
More about Tony Dungy...
Quiet Strength: The Principles, Practices & Priorities of a Winning Life Uncommon: Finding Your Path to Significance The Mentor Leader: Secrets to Building People and Teams That Win Consistently The One Year Uncommon Life Daily Challenge Tony Dungy on Winning with Quiet Strength: The Principles, Practices, and Priorities of a Winning Life