Start by marking “Around the Day in Eighty Worlds ” as Want to Read:
Around the Day in Eighty Worlds

Around the Day in Eighty Worlds (La vuelta al día en ochenta mundos #1-2)

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  431 ratings  ·  26 reviews
Around the Day in Eighty Worlds includes book reviews, travel pieces, short stories, poetry, and appreciations of jazz artists like Clifford Brown, Thelonious Monk, and Louis Armstrong. There is also quite a lot about Cortázar’s cat, whose name was Theodor W. Adorno.

A lot of his thoughts and likings taped together.
Published October 1989 by North Point Press (first published 1967)

To ask other readers questions about Around the Day in Eighty Worlds, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Around the Day in Eighty Worlds

Jimmy
Nov 13, 2011 Jimmy rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Cronopios; and anyone wanting insight into Hopscotch or '62'
Being the ultimate Cronopios, Julio Cortázar takes us on a journey unhindered by traditional concerns of fiction vs. nonfiction, academic vs. non-, text vs. photos vs. illustrations, narrative vs. ____. This is a collection of essays, stories poems, photos, diagrams, and more, all thrown together, creating a hodgepodge that has the effect of an exquisite collage.

For example, within one essay alone, Julios in Action, he goes from musing about the various Jules that have influenced him (Jules LaFo
Mike
Apr 28, 2010 Mike rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: cronopios and their kin
Recommended to Mike by: the internet
Around the Day in Eighty Worlds is a bit of a ramble. This collection includes short stories, essays, and poems, and is illustrated throughout with photographs, drawings, and diagrams. Even when Cortázar is not recounting personal anectdote or opinion there is a general imperfection throughout — an unfinished texture providing ironic commentary on his creative process — that reinforces the scenes from the life of an artist that dominate the more overtly autobiographical sections. This book is no ...more
Jenaru Dana
Trec fără rezerve deschiderea seriei de autor Julio Cortázar de la Editura Art pe lista principalelelor evenimente ale anului literar 2014, an în care s-au împlinit 100 de ani de la nașterea scriitorului argentinian. Primele două volume apărute sunt Câștigătorii (primul roman publicat de Cortázar, tradus acum de Coman Lupu) și Ocolul zilei în optzeci de lumi.

Ocolul zilei în optzeci de lumi a avut o PRIMĂ versiune în limba spaniolă în anul 1967 și constitui
Alexis
Love, love, love Cortazar! Love where his mind travels and how he weaves you there with his particular unique way of telling a story.
João Moura
É difícil estipular o número de mundos por onde uma pessoa navega por dia. Temos 60.000 pensamentos por dia e o espírito gira à volta de vários universos no pequeno ciclo de 24 horas. Aproveitando o título do seu homónimo (Júlio Verne), Julio Cortázar compilou distintas viagens do seu vasto intelecto num caótico livro, que versa por temas díspares como o jazz, escritores de eleições, Jack o Estripador, humor em funerais, a arte, a poesia e o seu gato...
A Volta ao Dia em 80 Mundos é a prova númer
Diego Eaton
"Lo mejor de la literatura es siempre take, riesgo implícito en la ejecución, margeb de peligro que hace el placer del volante, del amor, con lo que entraña de pérdida sensible pero a la vez con ese compromiso total que en otro plano da al teatro su inconquistable imperfección frente al perfecto cine.
Yo no quisiera escribir más que takes."

Eugenia Dabu
"Cine nu citeste Cortazar este condamnat." Pablo Neruda
Greg McCain
“I sometimes longed for someone who, like me, had not adjusted perfectly with his age, and such a person was hard to find; but I soon discovered cats, in which I could imagine a condition like mine, and books, where I found it quite often.”
Mads
The book that changed my life--for the worst--because I realized, with a sinking feeling, that I was going to be a writer. I've reconciled to the idea that I'm more a "Fama" and so I blame "Cronopio" Cortazar for my life of misery and toil. Kidding aside, the BEST concert review I've ever read in my life was his piece on Louis Armstrong's performance in Paris. It completely blew my mind--and still does every time I re-read it.
Matthew
This is by far one of my favorite books, and has been for some time. It's a collection of short stories so it's never much of a commitment of time if you want to just read one or two of them. They are generally very smart and thought provoking, and can easily impact my mood for days at a time. "Only an Idiot" is by far my favorite of the bunch though, I could (and should) read that every morning.(less)
Ossip
Primer vuelta terminada.
Carol
No me gustó, creí que iba a ser algo más como "Historias de cronopios y de famas" pero estas historias están raras, algunas parecen cuentos, otras parecen documentos informativos, otras no sé qué son.
Pero, todavía tiene un libro para ganarme. Siempre le doy 3 libros a los autores antes de decidir si me gustan o no.
Adriano Koehler
Interesting, but not much more than that. Cortázar is much better when recreating the world, but not that good when describing it. It's interesting, though, because you have the chance to get in touch with his thoughts. His self irony also helps to get through the book, but it's a minor work.
Shawn
I will most likely edit this review later with some more detailed comments but I found this book to be a wonderful, inspiring collection of essays and stories. Everyone should read this!
Andres  Sanchez
No entendí la mayoría de los cuentos. Tendré que releerlo en un futuro cuando mi capacidad aumente, porque me queda esa insatisfacción de no haber sentido nada.
Guillermo
Es un rejunte que tiene sus puntos altos en un par de anécdotas y en los relatos con cronopios pero que no aporta nada con un par de entrevistas.
Julia Boechat Machado
Coleção de ensaios, poemas, desenhos, diagramas, críticas de jazz, etc. De certa forma, lembra um blog. Para quem se interessa por Cortazar.
Carlos Valente
Uma viagem a oitenta mundos à boleia de Julio Cortázar. A proximidade que o autor cria entre o leitor e as suas obras é incrível.
Franco Vite
Un gioco meraviglioso, un incastro di letteratura, storia, autobiografia, saggistica e chi più ne ha più ne metta.
Imperdibile!
Nicole
This author was recommended to me, and this is the first of his books I'm reading. So far, I'm enjoying it!
Ernesto

Definitivamente no es mi tipo de lectura, me cansó y no vi que llegara a nada...
Greg McCain
The jazz reviews are amazing the closest that words can get tothe music itself.
Josh
Essays, stories, poems, some graphic art.
Torsten
Cortazar ist ein Grandisimo Cronopio!!
Cristian
great book!!!
Helen
Helen added it
Mar 28, 2015
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2015
Onisor
Onisor is currently reading it
Mar 26, 2015
  • Six Problems for Don Isidro Parodi
  • Lands of Memory
  • Los adioses
  • Paradiso
  • The Museum of Eterna's Novel (The First Good Novel)
  • How I Became a Nun
  • La pesquisa
  • Lo que sé de los hombrecillos
  • Los siete locos (Los siete locos, #1)
  • Z głowy
  • Auguste Rodin
  • The Obscene Bird of Night
  • Singing from the Well
  • Zama
Julio Cortázar, born Julio Florencio Cortázar Descotte, was an Argentine author of novels and short stories. He influenced an entire generation of Latin American writers from Mexico to Argentina, and most of his best-known work was written in France, where he established himself in 1951.
More about Julio Cortázar...
Hopscotch Bestiario Cronopios and Famas Blow-Up and Other Stories Todos los fuegos el fuego

“In quoting others, we cite ourselves.” 179 likes