Start by marking “The Boy Who Wouldn't Share” as Want to Read:
The Boy Who Wouldn't Share

The Boy Who Wouldn't Share

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  206 ratings  ·  64 reviews
Edward has oodles of toys but doesn't share any of them with his little sister, Claire. She cannot ride his rocking horse, hug his teddy bear, or even think about touching his Slinky.

"They're mine!"

he says. That is, until one day when Edward finds himself stuck under his enormous pile of toys and can't move! With a little help from an unlikely ally, he learns that if he ca
Published May 27th 2008 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about The Boy Who Wouldn't Share, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Boy Who Wouldn't Share

Betsy
Mike Reiss and David Catrow appear to be starting an unofficial picture book series of sorts. Wasn't that long ago that I walked into a bookstore and found myself staring at an odd little concoction by the name of The Boy Who Looked Like Lincoln. That flipped the switch on my Weirdo Picture Book o' Meter for a good week or so. I kept thinking back to that bizarre book with its strangely amusing premise. I mean, don't get me wrong. The story was fun but everything you needed to know was in the t ...more
Dolly
Jun 06, 2014 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: 2014, childrens, rhyming, humor
This is a wonderfully entertaining tale, another terrific collaboration from Mike Reiss and David Catrow. We've read several of their books and I am always on the lookout for more of them at our local library.

The rhyming story is humorous to read aloud and the illustrations are hilarious and filled with details that will encourage rereads. The tale depicts a Grinch-like boy who won't share with his sister, and really shows the sibling rivalries that can appear and disappear in a very short span
Becky
Jul 14, 2008 Becky rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: kids age 3 and up
Shelves: children-and-ya
I picked this up because I love the work of David Catrow, who illustrated this book. Once again, Catrow's smooshed, rubbery style cracks me up on every page, in this case depicting a rather monkey-faced boy named Edward, who refuses to share his toys with his little sister, Claire.

Of course, Edward learns his lesson when, trapped inside a pile of toys that he gathered about him to show Claire that they are his and his alone, he can't reach the fudge his mom has offered to Claire.

Claire shows Ed
Michelle McBeth
A story about a boy who wouldn't share, but who is taught a lesson in sharing by his sister. I love the lyrical wording in this book. It flows so nicely and even without the illustrations would be enjoyable to read. I also like the ending where Edward gets stuck underneath his pile of horded up toys so he misses out on the fudge. It's kind of like a lesson in karma. Boys who are nasty get nasty consequences. Then Edward APOLOGIZES to his sister for his bad attitude (go Edward!) and the consequen ...more
Laura Pharis
I loved the way this book rhymed and how it was right to the point. Sharing is a relative issue with children of all ages and even adults sometimes. It shows the classic issues of kids not wanting to share their toys, but wanting others to share with them. Edwards was so mean to Claire, but when she was the one who had something Edward wanted she quickly forgave him for not sharing with her and did the right things and shared her fudge with him.
Margaux
If you gave me a scribbled picture of poop and told me it was illustrated by David Catrow, I would probably be just about the happiest girl in the universe and tell everyone all about my picture.

Anyways, this is a book in verse about a little miserable boy named Edward who can't share. I'm obviously a fan.
Ryan Rotuna
What a foul little boy - Edward the boy who wouldn't share. I loved this children's book for its gritty pictures as well as its gritty tale of greed and children. Edward makes amends but the story (and moral) of his greediness serves the readers as both entertainment as well as a warning.
Matthew
Great potential in this book that seemed to be squandered by the lack of rapping it all up in a character-building way at the end. I think most parents of two can relate to this power struggle. The illustrations are wonderful
Diana Pettis
I think this story was to babish for my target audience of second graders. The story was to predictable although I did enjoy the illustrations.
Salima Hart
This is a cute story about the importance of sharing. In this story, a young boy named Edward refuses to share anything with his sister. Soon after, his mother brought them fudge, but since she did not see Edward she gave it all to his sister. Edward realized that he was rude to his sister and tried to make up by saying he would share. His sister understood that he was sorry and chose to share her fudge. They both ate fudge fudge and played with Edward's toys and were happy. This is a great stor ...more
Garrett Ellis
This book would be a great one to model the consequences of not sharing. Sharing is necessary to have a positive relationship.
Emelda
I kinda hate books that teach kids to share because they'll get rewards, especially candy/dessert rewards...
Amy
Cute, cute, cute picture book to remind kiddos to share. My boys loved it!
Katherine Salinas
The illustrations were a bit creepy and distracted from the story.
Carrie
I am shocked at the high ratings for this book! It's awful! The illustrations are great, but the writing is not! It's full of forced rhyme and the boy goes from not sharing to sharing immediately. Can't he even think about it? There was a chance here to actually say something about why people should share (even though it's hard), but instead he shares so he can get what he wants, not out of the goodness of his heart or anything. Though the sister is nice and does share. But still, even while rea ...more
Molly Robbins
This book would be great for kids to work on their rhyming words. It is engaging for the students because it has fun words that rhyme such as slinky and stinky. This is also a great book especially for younger grades to talk about character building and discuss sharing with them. This is a character trait that is difficult for them at a young age so that would be a great teaching moment to go into. You could include a writing activity as well where they write a story about how they would share s ...more
Sam Willis
A nice rhyming book about sharing. Very bright, detailed pictures. Best for younger kids.
Satin
This book was good. I liked the way the other used rhyming words to tell the story and the illustrations were kid friendly. Most of all I loved the way the story ended because it reminds me of my sisters and I, and how even though they rarely share their things with me I'm always willing to share with them. This book could be used in the classroom to teach students about the importance of sharing with others, and at home to help new big brothers/sisters learn to cope with sharing with their new ...more
Keeko
For the first page or two (plus the cover), I thought, hmmmm, I'm not crazy about these illustrations, but the writer's a nice and funny guy (writes for The Simpsons, and we saw him at a book event), so I'll keep going, but I was wrong. The illustrations perfectly capture the mood, and the story is funny and sweet and just how that sharing thing works.
Jamie Forrest
I enjoyed this rhyming picture book. This is the story of a young boy who would not share with his little sister. In the end he learns a valuable lesson from her. The illustrations are absolutely amazing. They are caricature-style drawings that absolutely MAKE this book. I think that my students would really enjoy this book.
Lynnea
I read a review of this book in a magazine that must have raised my expectations. I knew it was a children's book but I thought it was geared toward elementary age. Really is is geared to preschoolers at the oldest and in that regard, it is a good book showing the boy who won't share how great it is when someone does share.
Melinda Miller
Title: The Boy Who Wouldn't Share
Author: Mike Reiss
Illustrator: David Catrow
Publisher: Harper Collins Publisher, New York, 2008
Summary: Edward learns a lesson in sharing when after refusing to share any of his toys with his sister, she shares some of her fudge with him. I LOVED this book! Great lesson for kids on sharing!
Alyce Dougan
The Boy Who Wouldn't Share is a book about a boy who wouldn't share his toys with his sister. At the end of the book the boy ends up sharing. This would be a good book to explain and discuss sharing to children. You can read this at home or in a classroom. Children will also like this books because parts of it rhyme.
Lucero Hernandez
Edward refuses to share his toys with his sister, Claire. Upon helping him escape the avalanche of toys and sharing her fudge with him, he learns a valuable lesson in sharing. This book would be excellent in teaching students the benefits and value of sharing with others. Hilarious and cute!
Kena Kump
Great book about sharing. It also has rhyming patterns that help children with sounds in words. The illustrations blow your mind. The illustrator draws the girl so small to show her point of view, and toys are larger than life which is very unique. Fun book to read, for kids as well.
Lde212_06
This is a great book for teachers to read to students when teaching them about sharing. It is a fun introduction to an important quality that many teachers like to see students exhibit in the classroom. The book also helps to reinforce the concept of rhyming.
Serina
Feb 17, 2012 Serina added it
This book tells of a boy who refuses to share his toys with his sister. Through an act of kindness, his sister changes his mind and he learns a lesson on sharing. This is an easy read so it would be great as a read along with young children.
D'metria
This is a great book for teaching rhyming words. I used this book to teach sequencing and it worked out really well. Great Illustrations, so this would also be a good book for making predicitions and inferences based on the pictures only, Imagery.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • All the Colors of the Earth
  • The Little Red Hen
  • Silly Tilly
  • There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Trout!
  • Me I Am!
  • Thelonius Monster's Sky-High Fly-Pie
  • Our Tree Named Steve
  • We the Kids
  • I Wanna New Room
  • Never Take a Shark to the Dentist: (and Other Things Not to Do)
  • Old Hat, New Hat
  • I See a Song (Blue Ribbon Book)
  • Baby Bear's Books
  • Never, Ever Shout in a Zoo
  • Michael Recycle
  • Mouse's First Spring
  • Is There Really a Human Race?
  • Mummy Math: An Adventure in Geometry
The Boy Who Looked Like Lincoln Merry Un-Christmas How Murray Saved Christmas Santa Claustrophobia (Picture Puffin Books) Late for School