Start by marking “The Boy Who Wouldn't Share” as Want to Read:
The Boy Who Wouldn't Share

The Boy Who Wouldn't Share

Edward has oodles of toys but doesn't share any of them with his little sister, Claire. She cannot ride his rocking horse, hug his teddy bear, or even think about touching his Slinky.

"They're mine!"

Published May 27th 2008 by HarperCollins

Betsy
Jun 22, 2008 Betsy rated it really liked it
Mike Reiss and David Catrow appear to be starting an unofficial picture book series of sorts. Wasn't that long ago that I walked into a bookstore and found myself staring at an odd little concoction by the name of The Boy Who Looked Like Lincoln. That flipped the switch on my Weirdo Picture Book o' Meter for a good week or so. I kept thinking back to that bizarre book with its strangely amusing premise. I mean, don't get me wrong. The story was fun but everything you needed to know was in the t ...more
Dolly
Jun 06, 2014 Dolly rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: childrens, humor, rhyming, 2014
This is a wonderfully entertaining tale, another terrific collaboration from Mike Reiss and David Catrow. We've read several of their books and I am always on the lookout for more of them at our local library.

The rhyming story is humorous to read aloud and the illustrations are hilarious and filled with details that will encourage rereads. The tale depicts a Grinch-like boy who won't share with his sister, and really shows the sibling rivalries that can appear and disappear in a very short span
Becky
Jul 14, 2008 Becky rated it liked it
Recommends it for: kids age 3 and up
Shelves: children-and-ya
I picked this up because I love the work of David Catrow, who illustrated this book. Once again, Catrow's smooshed, rubbery style cracks me up on every page, in this case depicting a rather monkey-faced boy named Edward, who refuses to share his toys with his little sister, Claire.

Of course, Edward learns his lesson when, trapped inside a pile of toys that he gathered about him to show Claire that they are his and his alone, he can't reach the fudge his mom has offered to Claire.

Claire shows Ed
Alex Lehman
Dec 04, 2016 Alex Lehman rated it it was amazing
In "The Boy Who Wouldn't Share" Edward has an abundance of toys and refuses to share any of them with his little sister, Claire. Every time Claire tries to play with Edward's toys or just touch them, Edward yells, "They're mine!" One day, Edward finds himself stuck under his huge pile of toys. He cannot move. He ends up being helped out of his pile by someone who the reader wouldn't think would help me. Edward realizes that if he shares with others they will share with him as well.
This book pre
Marlene
Oct 22, 2016 Marlene rated it it was amazing
Some children do NOT like to share. But what is the point of hoa0rding all your stuff? You won't have anyone to play with and no one will won't to be your friend.

David Catrow is my favorite illustrator EVER!!! His drawings take a story and give it life in a hilarious and silly sort of way. I want to own every book he has ever illustrated!
Alexis Munk
Nov 30, 2016 Alexis Munk rated it it was ok
I really loved the font that this book was written in. I also liked the illustrations with the exception of the little boy. He was very creepy. This is a great story to teach to younger children that they need to learn how to share. He is very stingy and does not want to share with his little sister. Then one day when he needs help she decides to help him.
Lesa
Nov 17, 2016 Lesa rated it really liked it
Great for pre-k through first grade.
Cathy
Oct 06, 2016 Cathy rated it liked it
Edward has oodles of toys but doesn't share any of them with his little sister, Claire. "They're mine!" he says. That is, until one day when Edward finds himself stuck under his enormous pile of toys and can't move! With a little help from an unlikely ally, he learns that if he can share with others, they'll share right back with him.

I love books illustrated by David Catrow - they are so creatively genius!
Michelle McBeth
Oct 10, 2014 Michelle McBeth rated it really liked it
A story about a boy who wouldn't share, but who is taught a lesson in sharing by his sister. I love the lyrical wording in this book. It flows so nicely and even without the illustrations would be enjoyable to read. I also like the ending where Edward gets stuck underneath his pile of horded up toys so he misses out on the fudge. It's kind of like a lesson in karma. Boys who are nasty get nasty consequences. Then Edward APOLOGIZES to his sister for his bad attitude (go Edward!) and the consequen ...more
Salima Hart
This is a cute story about the importance of sharing. In this story, a young boy named Edward refuses to share anything with his sister. Soon after, his mother brought them fudge, but since she did not see Edward she gave it all to his sister. Edward realized that he was rude to his sister and tried to make up by saying he would share. His sister understood that he was sorry and chose to share her fudge. They both ate fudge fudge and played with Edward's toys and were happy. This is a great stor ...more
Kayla Hepler
Oct 08, 2015 Kayla Hepler rated it really liked it
The Boy Who Wouldn't Share is a great book for children who are having a hard time sharing their toys with their siblings or friends. The author also uses cute rhymes to get his point across. The pictures in the story were fantastic as well! Edward is pictured as a mean faced boy who wouldn't share with his little sister. That was until his mother brought in fudge and gave it to his sister. The illustrations also show every item the author talks about which is very important for children who can ...more
Molly Robbins
This book would be great for kids to work on their rhyming words. It is engaging for the students because it has fun words that rhyme such as slinky and stinky. This is also a great book especially for younger grades to talk about character building and discuss sharing with them. This is a character trait that is difficult for them at a young age so that would be a great teaching moment to go into. You could include a writing activity as well where they write a story about how they would share s ...more
Satin
Mar 22, 2011 Satin rated it really liked it
This book was good. I liked the way the other used rhyming words to tell the story and the illustrations were kid friendly. Most of all I loved the way the story ended because it reminds me of my sisters and I, and how even though they rarely share their things with me I'm always willing to share with them. This book could be used in the classroom to teach students about the importance of sharing with others, and at home to help new big brothers/sisters learn to cope with sharing with their new ...more
Carrie
Sep 04, 2008 Carrie rated it did not like it
I am shocked at the high ratings for this book! It's awful! The illustrations are great, but the writing is not! It's full of forced rhyme and the boy goes from not sharing to sharing immediately. Can't he even think about it? There was a chance here to actually say something about why people should share (even though it's hard), but instead he shares so he can get what he wants, not out of the goodness of his heart or anything. Though the sister is nice and does share. But still, even while rea ...more
Laura Pharis
I loved the way this book rhymed and how it was right to the point. Sharing is a relative issue with children of all ages and even adults sometimes. It shows the classic issues of kids not wanting to share their toys, but wanting others to share with them. Edwards was so mean to Claire, but when she was the one who had something Edward wanted she quickly forgave him for not sharing with her and did the right things and shared her fudge with him.
Jamie Forrest
Dec 30, 2010 Jamie Forrest rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this rhyming picture book. This is the story of a young boy who would not share with his little sister. In the end he learns a valuable lesson from her. The illustrations are absolutely amazing. They are caricature-style drawings that absolutely MAKE this book. I think that my students would really enjoy this book.
Melinda Miller
Title: The Boy Who Wouldn't Share
Author: Mike Reiss
Illustrator: David Catrow
Publisher: Harper Collins Publisher, New York, 2008
Summary: Edward learns a lesson in sharing when after refusing to share any of his toys with his sister, she shares some of her fudge with him. I LOVED this book! Great lesson for kids on sharing!
Margaux
Oct 21, 2014 Margaux rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books, verse
If you gave me a scribbled picture of poop and told me it was illustrated by David Catrow, I would probably be just about the happiest girl in the universe and tell everyone all about my picture.

Anyways, this is a book in verse about a little miserable boy named Edward who can't share. I'm obviously a fan.
Alyce Dougan
The Boy Who Wouldn't Share is a book about a boy who wouldn't share his toys with his sister. At the end of the book the boy ends up sharing. This would be a good book to explain and discuss sharing to children. You can read this at home or in a classroom. Children will also like this books because parts of it rhyme.
Lynnea
Oct 25, 2011 Lynnea rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s, fiction
I read a review of this book in a magazine that must have raised my expectations. I knew it was a children's book but I thought it was geared toward elementary age. Really is is geared to preschoolers at the oldest and in that regard, it is a good book showing the boy who won't share how great it is when someone does share.
Keeko
Sep 08, 2011 Keeko rated it it was amazing
For the first page or two (plus the cover), I thought, hmmmm, I'm not crazy about these illustrations, but the writer's a nice and funny guy (writes for The Simpsons, and we saw him at a book event), so I'll keep going, but I was wrong. The illustrations perfectly capture the mood, and the story is funny and sweet and just how that sharing thing works.
Rhonda Morris
Nov 13, 2009 Rhonda Morris rated it really liked it
Edward doesn't want to share anything with his sister until he is offered something to eat. But he is underneath all the stuff he won't share. Great book to read about sharing and the consequences of not sharing.
Sally Staples
Apr 22, 2012 Sally Staples rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-book
This story is about a boy who wouldn't share his toys with his sister, but when his sister got fudge from their mother, she shared it with her brother. He realizes how he has acted and that its not very nice not to share.
Lacey Mcmanaway
Oct 11, 2012 Lacey Mcmanaway rated it it was amazing
This book is great for those young aged children who are working on social skills. The book also has wonderful examples of how to be the "good" person and not follow in the "unkind" person's footsteps.
Serina
Feb 17, 2012 Serina added it
This book tells of a boy who refuses to share his toys with his sister. Through an act of kindness, his sister changes his mind and he learns a lesson on sharing. This is an easy read so it would be great as a read along with young children.
Lde212_06
Nov 26, 2012 Lde212_06 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sharing, rhyming, fiction
This is a great book for teachers to read to students when teaching them about sharing. It is a fun introduction to an important quality that many teachers like to see students exhibit in the classroom. The book also helps to reinforce the concept of rhyming.
Lauren Jackson
Mar 23, 2011 Lauren Jackson rated it liked it
This book is your typical story about a child who doesnt like to share anything. His baby sister. This would be good for all ages because some children have a hard time trying to figur aout what ehy plan to do when they enter a class.
Ryan Rotuna
Mar 25, 2015 Ryan Rotuna rated it it was amazing
Shelves: book-selection
What a foul little boy - Edward the boy who wouldn't share. I loved this children's book for its gritty pictures as well as its gritty tale of greed and children. Edward makes amends but the story (and moral) of his greediness serves the readers as both entertainment as well as a warning.
D'metria
This is a great book for teaching rhyming words. I used this book to teach sequencing and it worked out really well. Great Illustrations, so this would also be a good book for making predicitions and inferences based on the pictures only, Imagery.
  • All the Colors of the Earth
  • I Wanna New Room
  • The Little Red Hen
  • We the Kids
  • There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Trout!
  • Me I Am!
  • Mummy Math: An Adventure in Geometry
  • Silly Tilly
  • Mouse's First Spring
  • I See a Song
  • Never Take a Shark to the Dentist (and Other Things Not to Do)
  • Baby Bear's Books