Start by marking “Brown Angels: An Album of Pictures and Verse” as Want to Read:
Brown Angels: An Album of Pictures and Verse

Brown Angels: An Album of Pictures and Verse

The book you are holding was born in the dusty corner of an antique shop where the old photographs are kept. Walter Dean Myers has been collecting turn-of-the-century photographs of African-American children for some time, and his fascination with these intimate portraits compelled him to gather them into an album and share them with us.
Published November 19th 1993 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published October 1st 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Brown Angels, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Brown Angels

Sincerae Smith
This book has a special place in my heart. It encompasses memories from my childhood, my love of poetry, vintage photography, and history.

When I bought this book a long time ago, I was immediately touched by the photos of various old fashioned African American children taken at least a century ago. I wondered who they were, where they lived, and what ultimately happened to them. A couple of the baby photos were my favorites. They both look like serious miniature adults. Later the poems moved me
Cheryl
Aug 10, 2016 Cheryl rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful. I'm white, and I still fell in love with every one of these children. And I've often enjoyed Myers work and wish he were more widely read. Of course, one of his poems is famous enough to have inspired Love That Dog which is, imo, another five-star book.
L11_Page
Mar 12, 2011 L11_Page rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mc_lit, poetry
This "album of pictures and verse" was created from pictures of children Walter Dean Myers found in the corner of an antique shop. Intended for all ages, Mr. Myers' poems describe each picture with eloquence, detail and sometimes humor. There were times when reading this that I smiled at the expressiveness of the children and the poetic commentary linked to that particular photo. It was interesting to note that one particular picture is of a young girl African-American girl posing with a caucasi ...more
Paul
Aug 25, 2012 Paul rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens-lit
What a lovely book, mostly in sepias, grays and blacks, with the occasional, gorgeous and welcome sip of color. The spacious layout on lots of open space on ivory paper is good ground for Myer's tender poems. A sample, "Summer," that is so much better read out loud...

I like hot days, hot days
Sweat is what you got days
Bugs buzzin from cousin to cousin
Juices dripping
Running and ripping
Cath the one you love days

Birds peeping
Old men sleeping
Lazy days, daisies lay
Beaming and dreaming
Of hot days, hot
hannah
Mar 27, 2011 hannah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry, picture-books
Can't believe I've never added this to my virtual bookshelf! This remains one of my best loved collections of poetry. It's absolutely beautiful, and my memories of having the poems read to me by my parents or my sister are some of my favorites. "Love That Boy" is a classic, but it doesn't mean the other peoms in this book aren't marvelous as well.
Judy
Jan 27, 2016 Judy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a beautiful book of black children from years past. Walter Dean Myers has made it a project of his to collect these old photos and he's done a magnificent job of it in this book. I frequently had it on display in my library and it was always an "attention getter."
My favorite poem from this book is "Love That Boy" which Sharon Creech included as a key poem in her book, "Love That Dog." I can imagine Mr. Walter Dean Myers reading this poem to a bunch of kids at an elementary school or a library, exuding all of the warmth and over-flowing love he has for his own son. His voice comes out of this poem, so even though I have never seen or heard him, I can still strongly imagine this.

I can imagine children pouring over the wonderful portraits of the anonymous
Esther
Mar 07, 2011 Esther rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: african-american
Published in 1996 by HarperTrophy
Interest Level: 4th-6th Grade

Myers uses his personal collection of photos from the turn of the 20th century to display various poems about subjects that he sees reflected in the images he has selected. Profound pictures are used that make the reader curious to Myers' intention as well as who the subjects of the photo is. Additionally, the short poems allow for the photographs to carry a deeper meaning. Each page is like a scrapbook of a family that moves through
Jelisa
Dec 03, 2012 Jelisa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brown Angels is a collection of poems that reflect the attitudes and values of African American’s during the 1900’s. The book is filled with numerous pictures of African American children and each poem correlates with a child’s picture. The poems The subgroup represented in this book are African American Slaves The genre of the book is poetry as well as historical fiction. This book is written from the perspective of someone who has researched and gathered poems that reflected the attitudes and ...more
Sophie Fekete
Brown Angels: An Album of Pictures and Verse is a poetry book by Walter Dean Myers, that is 70 pages. It details the stories of different children through various poems that the author wrote. The book itself is a collection of pictures of African American children throughout a period of decades, dating back to a hundred years ago. Overall, I enjoyed this book because it was an easy read, and I enjoyed looking at the vintage photos of these children. I would recommend this book to anyone who need ...more
Cara Byrne
"Why do I love children? I think it is because the child in each of us is our most precious part. Children remind us of a time of innocence, a time of giving, and an unfettered love of life."

This collection of brief poems and beautiful photographs from the early twentieth century joins a long history of photography in African American-authored picture books for children (and adults). My favorite poems are "Love That Boy" and "Pride."
Gorgeous photographs flanked by poems about the African American experience at the turn of the century. (Guess we now need to clarify which turn, although, in my mind this clearly means the change from the nineteenth to the twentieth century.) Loved the pictures but poetry has never really been my thing. However, this would make for a lovely gift, an important addition to a school library, or an ideal coffee table browser.
Taneka
Nov 17, 2011 Taneka rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry, picture-books
Walter Dean Myers uses old photographs of African American children from the 1920's to provide visuals to the poetry that is presented. Myers finds photo's in antique shops and, although nameless, the children bring a great deal of joy to the verses and are a treat for the reader.
Cristina1961
Jul 01, 2010 Cristina1961 rated it it was amazing
The pictures taken of children in the early days of photography have to be seen to appreciate.
Cws
JAR 8115Mye
Devan Green
May 20, 2016 Devan Green rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful book! Awesome concept and execution. Just a gem of a book. I want it in hardcover for my collection!
Shelia
I loved this book and got it for my mom for Mother's day one year...and went back and got myself one
ke-sha
Jul 06, 2012 ke-sha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is short and sweet. I loved the poems in this book & the Pictures that went along with it. Whenever I re-read this book it just takes me back to my childhood :)
tanya voisine
tanya voisine rated it liked it
Jan 30, 2014
Bianca
Bianca rated it it was amazing
Apr 12, 2015
Maquoketa
Lovely old photographs, but the poems are not as strong.
Melissa
Melissa rated it really liked it
Oct 27, 2012
Brenna Johnson
Brenna Johnson rated it it was amazing
Jan 27, 2013
Jamie Spiller
Jamie Spiller rated it really liked it
Dec 06, 2009
Taylor Kaehr
Taylor Kaehr rated it it was amazing
Mar 29, 2013
April Corbett (Dorris)
April Corbett (Dorris) rated it really liked it
Apr 27, 2015
Sarah rated it liked it
Sep 15, 2008
Deb
Deb rated it it was amazing
Feb 13, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
pseudonyms:
Stacie Williams
Stacie Johnson

Walter Dean Myers was born on August 12, 1937 in Martinsburg, West Virginia but moved to Harlem with his foster parents at age three. He was brought up and went to public school there. He attended Stuyvesant High School until the age of seventeen when he joined the army.

After serving four years in the army, he worked at various jobs and earned a BA from Empi
More about Walter Dean Myers...