Start by marking “Prizefighter en Mi Casa” as Want to Read:
Prizefighter en Mi Casa

Prizefighter en Mi Casa

Twelve-year-old Chula Sanchez isn’t thin, isn’t beautiful, and because she’s Mexican, isn’t popular in her south Texas town. And now that a car accident has left her father paralyzed and her plagued with seizures, she is poor. But Chula’s father is determined to pull his family out of debt. He sends for El Jefe—the most revered prizefighter in Mexico. Chula’s father hopes ...more
Published December 11th 2007 by Yearling (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Prizefighter en Mi Casa, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Prizefighter en Mi Casa

Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Lynn Crow for TeensReadToo.com

PRIZEFIGHTER EN MI CASA is a heartfelt and often heart-wrenching novel about a Mexican-American girl growing up in Texas. Ever since the car accident that left her father paralyzed and unable to work, 12-year-old Chula Sanchez has suffered seizures that make her an even bigger target for teasing in her junior high school than her Mexican heritage did. She has few friends, and her relationship with her parents and older brother has suffered as well. Then
Ruhama
Mar 31, 2011 Ruhama rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: teen
Chula's family is struggling to get by, so her father has asked a famous prizefighter to come up from Mexico so they can bet on him and win. The reason they struggle is due to a car accident that left her father paralyzed and Chula with an expanded brain, so she has to be on medication to control seizures. Many people are afraid of El Jefe, but Chula manages to get over her fear and talk with the man, and manages to learn a few things about herself, her friends, her family and what it's like to ...more
Victoria Fry
Prizefighter en Mi Casa is not a book about boxing, in spite of the fact that one of the principal characters is an infamous boxer from Mexico: El Jefe. He comes to stay with Chula, the main character, and her family, who hope that El Jefe can earn enough money through illegal boxing matches to sustain them while paralysis--the result of a car accident--confines Chula's father to a wheelchair.

Although Prizefighter en Mi Casa is full of colourful characters, it's El Jefe who captured my heart and
Amitha
This book was amazing. Well-written, exciting, scary, heart-warming, and troubling at times. I lived in Houston, TX until I was eight years old so it was interesting to read about someone growing up in Texas under completely different circumstances than mine... View the rest of this review on my blog.
Wendy Lu
I actually very much enjoyed this book. At times I was frustrated with the lack of appreciation Chula had for her brother, but then I realized their dynamic -- at school, at home, in general -- was just different than what I'm used to. The ending was, in general, happy (which I appreciate. I can't do sad endings) but with enough negatives that it was realistic.
Keri
May 11, 2008 Keri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book to check it our for our media specialist in my school. I loved it. Couldn't put it down. The blend of Spanish and English felt very authentic and the struggles of the lead character are universal. An excellent book for early teens, for anyone teaching kids from different cultures, for people working on empathy issues.
Lisa
Apr 17, 2007 Lisa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kidsfiction
A story of a Latino family hit by the tragic aftermath of a car accident; leaving a father wheelchair bound and a daughter with epileptic seizures. When the father tries to turn the family's fortunes around by organizing a prizefighting boxer from Mexico to a "sure thing" match, more trouble befalls the family and the daughter finds friendship in the most unexpected places.
Amanda
This would be better for 6th grade and up. It has a good idea, about a low socioeconomic Mexican American girl trying to overcome racism and other cultural biases, but the plot was weak. It was also fun that there were many spanish phrases in it, so bilingual children might enjoy that.
Janine Darragh
I had trouble getting into this book... and then it was over. A great deal of content was introduced (substance abuse, gang activity, epilepsy, bullying, etc.), but none of it felt developed to me, and I just didn't feel anything for any of the characters.
Jean
Nov 01, 2007 Jean rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an atmospheric exploration of a family that is slowly falling apart in a small Texas town with racial issues. The characters learn about strength in a variety of ways and some of the lessons may stick with the reader.
Nora
Sep 25, 2012 Nora rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Young adult - well, middle-school age. Well done, about how being different doesn't necessarily mean you are bad or don't exist or have no value. And that how other people see you is not necessarily the truth.
Jamie
Jun 01, 2009 Jamie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Eh.
Pablo L
It was cool
Sirpa Grierson
Jun 08, 2010 Sirpa Grierson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Met the author at NCTE a few years ago and was very impressed by this first novel. Great storyline.
Livia Blackburne
A really touching tale that rings true. I blog about some of the characters here. http://blog.liviablackburne.com/2011/...
Alejandro P
i think that this book is boring from the beggining, but once you keep reading like in the middle of the book it starts getting good.
Jenny Minogue
Feb 08, 2008 Jenny Minogue rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childhood
I read this book because Micky wrote it. I was surprised to find myself so completely engaged in a book written for younf adults.
Kandyce Barber
Oct 22, 2011 Kandyce Barber rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Chula, a middle schooler, is surrounded by issues, an angry mother, an alcoholic father and a brother who's becoming a gang member. Very thoughtful and well told.
Cassandra
Dec 21, 2010 Cassandra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Charlton-Trujillo is one of those authors who paints with her words. The book almost reads like a movie with it's three-dimensional characters, vivid imagery, and masterful pacing.
Tess Hilmo
Mar 01, 2013 Tess Hilmo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just went back and re-read this one. Loved it just as much the second time. Growing up with a brother who liked to tease, I really understood the relationship between Chula and Richie.
Jenni_455
Jenni_455 rated it really liked it
Apr 19, 2015
William
William rated it liked it
May 18, 2007
Mast
Mast rated it really liked it
Dec 19, 2014
Darren L.
Darren L. rated it did not like it
Sep 27, 2007
Charlie T
Charlie T rated it did not like it
Apr 12, 2016
Thentrisius King of Dwarves
Thentrisius King of Dwarves rated it it was amazing
Oct 05, 2007
Emy Esparza
Emy Esparza rated it it was amazing
May 28, 2013
Kaitlyn Joseph
Kaitlyn Joseph rated it it was amazing
Jul 21, 2013
Ryan
Aug 11, 2011 Ryan added it
I liked this book a lot more than I thought I would.
« previous 1 3 next »
The author/filmmaker deemed rockstar and Wexican (Whitest Mexican American) by the kids she meets won the prestigious Delacorte Dell Yearling Award and Parents' Choice Silver Honor for PRIZEFIGHTER EN MI CASA. FEELS LIKE HOME received critical praise, but it was FAT ANGIE that generated The New York Times Bestselling Author buzz from Gregory Maguire and Ellen Hopkins. Nominated for Best Fiction fo ...more
More about E.E. Charlton-Trujillo...