Start by marking “Smouldering Fire” as Want to Read:
Smouldering Fire

Smouldering Fire

Mass Market Paperback, 320 pages
Published May 16th 1988 by Collins (first published 1935)

To ask other readers questions about Smouldering Fire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Smouldering Fire

Miriam
Jan 04, 2016 Miriam rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition

What a hottie, eh?

This story is, at heart, a romance. I personally would have no issue with a romance featuring unattractive people, or old folks, but the character is described as the handsomest man at every gathering and I estimate that he can't possibly be over 40, probably well under. I don't know who selected that cover image. At least they're consistent, I guess:

Miss Buncle's Book (Miss Buncle, #1) by D.E. Stevenson

She's supposed to be 31 or 32, a bit frumpy but not especially unattractive.
Alisha Trenalone
Nov 26, 2011 Alisha Trenalone rated it it was ok
Shelves: rcpl
This book was a pretty enjoyable read, but towards the end it took an odd turn. Instead of facing out the difficulty, someone just decided to cut straight through the knot in a judgment call that left me scratching my head and uncomfortable with the whole thing. The main character is a good one, though, and there's wonderful atmosphere. The first D.E. Stevenson book I read was Bel Lamington, which I adored. I also liked its sequel, Fletchers End. But this one, not so much.
Joanna
Jul 13, 2016 Joanna rated it liked it
3.5 stars. There's lots to like about this book: the usual coziness and atmosphere found in Stevenson's books and I like learning about the Scottish traditions and mindset. But there's a rather unpleasant surprise at the end which slid a cloud over the sun and made me ask, Seriously, was that necessary?
Robyn
Oct 28, 2016 Robyn rated it it was amazing
A tale of love, tradition and incompressible loyalty.
Cricket Muse
Dec 05, 2015 Cricket Muse rated it really liked it
Although this is one of Stevenson's favorites, it's one of my least among hers. While the theme of devotion and love run dominant, being placed in the glory of the Highlands, the overall beauty is marred by the dark undercurrent of how far devotion can lead someone.

There is also the unsettling point of view perspective format, running from omniscient to first person stream of consciousness, yet DES, being such a masterful storyteller, makes it work.

This is a mesmerizing story of romance and mys
Carolyn
Jan 31, 2008 Carolyn rated it really liked it
One of Stevenson's more surprising books involving a murder. This book introduces the Scottish highlands and the MacRynne family to Stevenson readers. Ian McAslan must rent out his estate to hunting parties in order to pay his bills. He stays on the estate as a disguised worker when the guests come. He meets a woman and her son who are hiding from her unpleasant husband. Therein lies the plot: hence the title.

We learn more about the life of the delightful McAslan family through these connection
Janet
Oct 24, 2013 Janet added it
D.E. Stevenson's ancestor is R.L. Stevenson. This book was written in the 30's - I love to read old books. And, there are "many" about 30 books. Liked the story - a little mystery, travel log, and romance.
Katherine
Jun 14, 2016 Katherine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, 2013, own
This particular novel is slightly darker than is typical for D.E. Stevenson but just as well-written and insightful. The author managed to capture in this tale the spirit of the Scots, the complex mix of pride, hospitality, and reserve, and their unusual depth of loyalty. Wonderfully evocative.
Polly
Jun 10, 2015 Polly rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, nice-books, adult
Not the best DE Stevenson, but awfully nice all the same. Nothing is as relaxing as a book where you know everything will be all right in the end, and you can always count on DES for that.
Jun 30, 2010 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
I love the character of MacAslan--such a strong yet tender-hearted clan leader! The moral questions raised in this book still provoke quite a bit of thought....
Julie
Jul 29, 2011 Julie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: british-fiction
i like anything des wrote. this was even better reading again afer having been to the uk because of knowing just where some things took place or being able to picture the place being described.
Debbie
Feb 22, 2010 Debbie rated it it was amazing
An unusual romance...mixed with a little quite solvable mystery. Loved the ride as always with this author.
Becky
Becky rated it it was amazing
Oct 21, 2016
Sarah rated it it was ok
Jul 11, 2014
Nicole
Nicole rated it really liked it
Apr 23, 2016
Julia Tracey
Some of her richest character description in this darker romance.
Elisabeth
Elisabeth rated it it was amazing
Mar 29, 2010
Dena
Dena rated it liked it
Mar 17, 2011
Sophia
Sophia rated it it was amazing
Jan 11, 2014
Jeanette
Jeanette rated it liked it
Oct 28, 2016
Kitty Skinner
Kitty Skinner rated it it was amazing
Sep 16, 2012
Annie
Annie rated it it was amazing
May 03, 2015
Ann
Ann rated it liked it
Jun 10, 2012
Mary Grace
Mary Grace rated it it was amazing
Jan 29, 2016
Deb
Deb rated it really liked it
Dec 19, 2014
Joan Lisanti
Joan Lisanti rated it liked it
Jan 04, 2015
Antigone Evans
Antigone Evans rated it liked it
Sep 10, 2014
Elsa Hosch
Elsa Hosch rated it it was amazing
Nov 21, 2015
Abby Trantina-Protopapas
Abby Trantina-Protopapas rated it it was amazing
Apr 04, 2016
Teresa Rust
Teresa Rust rated it really liked it
Jul 08, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Goodreads Librari...: wrong cover 2 15 Aug 27, 2016 07:52AM
Full name: Dorothy Emily Stevenson.
Her father was a Cousin of Robert Louis Stevenson

D.E. Stevenson had an enormously successful writing career: between 1923 and 1970, four million copies of her books were sold in Britain and three million in the States. Like E.F. Benson, Ann Bridge, O. Douglas or Dorothy L. Sayers (to name but a few) her books are funny, intensely readable, engaging and dependable
More about D.E. Stevenson...

“She had always suffered from a curious fear of what was going to happen round the next corner. Even when life went smoothly and nothing occurred to justify her vague apprehensions, they did not altogether disperse. She had tried to face these fears and conquer them, but she could never do so entirely, she could only strain forward into the darkness of the future, expecting and fearing the unknown. She was brave in the face of dangers she could see, but she could not arm herself against shadows. These fears were her weakness.” 2 likes