Start by marking “Gerald and Elizabeth” as Want to Read:
Gerald and Elizabeth

Gerald and Elizabeth

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  139 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Gerald is a young man travelling by ship from South Africa, avoiding his fellow passengers, yet hugely attractive to the ladies aboard. Elizabeth is the enigmatic star of a new musical in London. What are the secrets being harboured by the pair and how will it affect their relationship?
Published by Holt, Rinehart and Winston (first published 1969)

To ask other readers questions about Gerald and Elizabeth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gerald and Elizabeth

Miriam

Gerald lost his job in a mine after being framed for stealing some diamonds, but doesn't seem to have any interest in figuring out who done him wrong. There is some long-hidden secret concerning the mother of his half-sister, Bess, but she doesn't make any effort to find out what it is. Luckily there is a secondary character with more get-up-and-go or this story would be pretty feeble...
Alisha
Nov 22, 2012 Alisha rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: own
This was a nice story with likable characters but for some reason it didn't really feel like the D.E. Stevenson I've come to know.
Gerald is coming home to England after having lost his job at a diamond mine in South Africa. Stolen diamonds were found in the inner lining of his jacket. He just barely escaped being thrown in prison. Obviously he was framed, but why? And by whom? He is completely depressed and uncertain of being able to get another job, since he has no references.
Eventually he deci
Curtiss Matlock
I enjoyed this book. D. E. Stevenson takes me to a place I want to be and away from my own world. I find her books worthy of study, too, teaching me about of a graceful way of life gone by, and the construction of a good novel.

This, as each of her stories, is unique. Gerald and Elizabeth are brother and sister, not a couple as is the norm. The story is told mainly through Gerald's viewpoint. D. E. Stevenson's stories are akin to Jan Karon's, in that they are gently told yet do deal with every hu
Carolyn
Gerald has been fired from his job. He was discovered stealing diamonds from his South African jobsite. He considers himself disgraced and lucky to have been fired without prosecution.
He returns to England under a cloud, without a recommendation, not believing that he will be able to work again. His well-known actress sister Elizabeth introduces him to a shipbuilder magnate. Gerald becomes a personal secretary to him. Gerald finds himself in an atmosphere in intrigue at the shipyard.

It has conn
Megan
Not my favorite by DE Stevenson- not as much suspense/waiting to see if the lovers get together, whatever. But still an enjoyable, clean read.
Mo
There was absolutely zero tension in this book. Everything seemed to fall in place a bit too readily.

My 4th D.D. Stevenson, and my least favorite to date. It was just "ok".
Christa
A wonderfully, easy to read story set in London and Scotland. I very much enjoyed this sweet story. I will definitely be reading more of D. E. Stevenson's work.
Sheri
Have read all of D.E. Stevenson's several books. Lovely old English countryside
Alice
Period piece.
Quick read
Dawn
Dawn marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2015
SH
SH marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2015
Jill Newport-Coats
Jill Newport-Coats marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2014
Cynthia Smith
Cynthia Smith marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2014
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2014
Luci Davin
Luci Davin marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Full name: Dorothy Emily Stevenson.
Cousin of Robert Louis Stevenson

D.E. Stevenson had an enormously successful writing career: between 1923 and 1970, four million copies of her books were sold in Britain and three million in the States. Like E.F. Benson, Ann Bridge, O. Douglas or Dorothy L. Sayers (to name but a few) her books are funny, intensely readable, engaging and dependable.
More about D.E. Stevenson...
Miss Buncle's Book (Miss Buncle, #1) Miss Buncle Married Mrs. Tim Christie The Two Mrs. Abbotts The Young Clementina